GAME 35 - Canadiens vs. Panthers - December 30, 2023 - 7 p.m.

GHT120

9 shots between the teams, crazy action.:mellow:

Habs top nine had 2 shots (CC had em both)

Guhle had least icetime of the d-men, 5:08; Back to back games maybe one reason? Harris 7:09.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Sneaky Smart shot by Caufield.

13:00 for Struble.

It was both smart and sneaky.  He noticed the 6'7" goalie bent over to put his stick on the ice, which exposed the top part of the net.

Why do the Habs have only 8 shots after 2 periods?! Florida's defense is not that good.  Very frustrating watching this game so far.

20 minutes ago, habscout said:

Why do the Habs have only 8 shots after 2 periods?! Florida's defense is not that good.  Very frustrating watching this game so far.

Their defence may not be that good (or at least as well known) individually but as a team they have the 4th best GAA in the NHL.

12 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Is it just me or do we get scored on every freakin time Armia takes a penalty.  

All is penalties ate terrible and selfish!

Send him back to Laval and give Ylonen more icetime and recall Heineman again.

• Like 1

Montreal is 0/3 on the PK this game.  If it wasn't for a slim offside that stat would reflect that instead of 1/3 on the PK, and that's just not good enough at an NHL level.  As good as they've been 5-on-5, the PK needs serious work.

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Their defence may not be that good (or at least as well known) individually but as a team they have the 4th best GAA in the NHL.

Ok, I admit I did not know that.  That is a very impressive stat, when you consider Florida was missing their best 2 defenceman for the first dozen and a half games to start  the season [Ekblad, Montour].  

1 minute ago, habscout said:

Ok, I admit I did not know that.  That is a very impressive stat, when you consider Florida was missing their best 2 defenceman for the first dozen and a half games to start  the season [Ekblad, Montour].  

Seems they are a fine example of TEAM DEFENCE.

Is anyone else tired of watching Savard paired with Matheson?  That duo does not work together; Matheson needs a new steady partner, but coach Marty appears too scared to not give the two veteran defenceman the first pairing minutes.

Also, Why was Harris trying to forecheck near the blueline on two goals against tonight?  He's a defenceman, who needs to stay back when the pressure is in his own zone. He is not Bobby Orr.

1 minute ago, habscout said:

Is anyone else tired of watching Savard paired with Matheson?  That duo does not work together; Matheson needs a new steady partner ...

Would Barron, Kovacevic or Harris be any better?

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Would Barron, Kovacevic or Harris be any better?

If it's 5-on-5, I would trust Kovacevic, now.  If it's a power play, then I am fine with Barron, but he has more defensive lapses/decision making gaffes than any other Habs defenceman this season. 

I also think Kovacevic would be fine short-handed with Matheson; he makes better decisions in his defensive zone than the other two.  Harris is not fully developed in his defensive game yet, and in my opinion could benefit from some time in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

I've seen enough of Barron....he has been stinking it up for weeks now.  Soft...constantly getting pushed around, losing puck battles, and messing up clearing chances.  He needs a one way ticket to Laval, and he can take Armia with him.  Recall Wifi immediately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sbhatt said:

I've seen enough of Barron....he has been stinking it up for weeks now.  Soft...constantly getting pushed around, losing puck battles, and messing up clearing chances.  He needs a one way ticket to Laval, and he can take Armia with him.  Recall Wifi immediately.

I thought Barron was gonna sit tonight for Kova ... I was wrong!

Savard is fine currently with Matheson. 

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Send him back to Laval and give Ylonen more icetime and recall Heineman again.

Yes to all of the above!  Armia is terrible, and block the ice time from Ylonen. An Armia demotion would boost Ylonen, and give Heineman a chance at some 4th line ice time. He did not fare that well in his first games, but it's easy to think he needs some time to adjust to the NHL pace and coach Marty's philosophies.