Game 38 Buffalo at Montreal 7pm Thursday Jan 4

Anderson says he is ready to go (starts around 7:00 minute mark) ... later, MSL was asked about Anderson's "game" but not specifically whether he is playing tonight ... MSL said they will again go 11-7 as he is happy with how it has worked FOR NOW.

7 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t know how Anderson is fine but happy to have him play 

Ya, no doubt.  When I heard the announcer mention Anderson I figured the Sabers had a player with the same name.  I was in shock when I realized it was Josh.  Considering the Habs luck with injuries I assumed he would be out for the rest of the season or several month at a minimum.   In the last game it didn't take much for him to fall but the way he did definitely looked like it was a serious injury.  

The Habs need to keep riding Andy's recent upsurge in play.  Hopefully, that keeps up but I wont be surprised if he is sore and his pace slows down for a bit.

That was an eventful first period considering there weren't any goals.  Struble evidently decided this game was a good one to remind people that he can play quite physical when he wants to.  The power play looked decent at the end of the advantage as well.  Lots to like even without a goal.

I definitely like Strubles pass over to Harris and the ensuing 1 timer attempt was impressive.  Its too bad Harris didnt score on that shot and I don't recall ever seeing him tee off like that before.  Harris needs to try doing that more often because apparently he is good at it.

Nice screen by Pezz, but was it goalie interference?  I certainly hope not.  He definitely made contact with Levi but was it really enough to call back the goal?

Son of a, apparently it was.  That totally sucks, Armia needed that goal.  

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Youd think the habs PK would have someone in position to Block the down low cross crease pass but apparently not.

Its shit like this why Burrows gotta go.

Isn't Robidas the PK guy?  But yes, they should have learned from their mistake the first time.

19 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Nice screen by Pezz, but was it goalie interference?  I certainly hope not.  He definitely made contact with Levi but was it really enough to call back the goal?

Son of a, apparently it was.  That totally sucks, Armia needed that goal. 

I don't think the contact made a big difference but it was contact in the crease which is what they're trying to avoid.  Armia got it back later at least.

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Youd think the habs PK would have someone in position to Block the down low cross crease pass but apparently not.

Matheson was to the right of the net on both plays, I think, but in neither case close enough to cut off the pass.

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Matheson was to the right of the net on both plays, I think, but in neither case close enough to cut off the pass.

Earlier in the season I certainly noticed Matheson in numerous games where he was blocking the Habs goalie's view but failing to get his body in they way to block a shot.   I swear I've even seen him be in the way of a shot but he turned and allowed the puck to go by him and into the Habs net.  

Oftentimes, they seem to be chronically bad with their sticks.   ex:  on the 1 goal it seemed like the 1 Habs player let the puck be passed down to the Sabers player down at the side of the net who passed across to the goal scorer.  If the Habs player used his stick that pass might have been intercepted or deflected and the goal would have been prevented.  

Oh well, Rangers should be a challenging opponent on Sat.

Which goalie will get to be peppered with pucks?

Slafkovski looks like he might be a selke trophy winner down the road.:nuts:

Using his size to his advantage along the boards for sure.

10 thoughts:

https://www.habsworld.net/2024/01/10-thoughts-special-teams-sink-habs-versus-sabres/

I would give the goal posts the 3rd star instead of Allen, in the first he was not tracking the puck well and the game could have gotten out of hand early. He made some nice saves later but was not reassuring.

I liked Slafkovsky's game. Anderson was skating like the wind and not showing any signs of injury and the fourth line played well all night. Yes, Pezzetta got a penalty but it was an intensity play not a lazy/careless play

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

10 thoughts:

https://www.habsworld.net/2024/01/10-thoughts-special-teams-sink-habs-versus-sabres/

I would give the goal posts the 3rd star instead of Allen, in the first he was not tracking the puck well and the game could have gotten out of hand early. He made some nice saves later but was not reassuring.

I liked Slafkovsky's game. Anderson was skating like the wind and not showing any signs of injury and the fourth line played well all night. Yes, Pezzetta got a penalty but it was an intensity play not a lazy/careless play

I just wanna say, I haven’t been able to watch the Habs much through the holiday period, so I really appreciate the 10 Thoughts feature. 👍 It imparts a better sense of what watching the game was like than a highlight reel does.

Bizarre that Anderson pulled a Wolverine. From the way everyone was talking, I figured he was sure to be another body in the Habs’ overstuffed hospital ward.

There is what happened to Andy's knee that made him fall and then the fall itself which looked awkward.  It thought the fall might have made his knee worse or even injured his ankle. It sorta looked like he might have rolled it.

I'm concerned about if the Habs have learned anything from last year or not and if they are repeating the identical mistakes?  i.e. Monahan and Gally playing injured last year because they wanted to.  Was Andy medically cleared to play or is he playing because he can and/or wants to? Andy must be sore from that fall so should he really be playing or should he be given a forced week or so off to rest? 

Last year with numerous players I saw plays where I thought they were injured yet they continued to play.  However, every instance of that with time proved that they were in fact injured but were still able to play when they should have been resting.  I'd rather see a player be sat out for 1-2 weeks for precautionary reasons rather than continue with a minor issue until it becomes a serious injury and then be out 8-12+ weeks.

39 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

There is what happened to Andy's knee that made him fall and then the fall itself which looked awkward.  It thought the fall might have made his knee worse or even injured his ankle. It sorta looked like he might have rolled it.

I'm concerned about if the Habs have learned anything from last year or not and if they are repeating the identical mistakes?  i.e. Monahan and Gally playing injured last year because they wanted to.  Was Andy medically cleared to play or is he playing because he can and/or wants to? Andy must be sore from that fall so should he really be playing or should he be given a forced week or so off to rest? 

Last year with numerous players I saw plays where I thought they were injured yet they continued to play.  However, every instance of that with time proved that they were in fact injured but were still able to play when they should have been resting.  I'd rather see a player be sat out for 1-2 weeks for precautionary reasons rather than continue with a minor issue until it becomes a serious injury and then be out 8-12+ weeks.

This is a totally new medical staff, so what happened last year is irrelevant.

And Anderson had the same skating stride, speed and power that he normally does yesterday.  If he was playing hurt, we would have seen some diminished mobility. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I agree with you on the mishandling of injuries last year. Cole has not fully recovered from playing hurt... but he got his bonus :rolleyes:

to me the unwillingness to make minor trades to give the team and AHL prospects a breather; that is annoying me. MSL mentioned that Stephens gives that type of relief. I wish in this learning season that they would surround the core with some quality fillers. Like Pearson for example.