Game 40 - Canadiens @ Flyers - January 10, 2024 - 7 p.m.

GHT120

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

EDIT: aaaand we have secured an undeserved loser point at the very least. It seems somehow typical of this team to squeak out a point despite not being particularly good.

Montreal has 15 overtime games already and they haven't quite hit the midway mark of the season (that'll come tomorrow).  That's a lot of games going past regulation but they've actually won nine of them.  This is a point they stole though.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Primeau coming up YUGE in OT 

The last minute of OT was insane in the membrane

Most of that OT was comically bad for the Habs but that last bit was exciting as hell. 

Primeau did play well and I think most of the team played well but a tough night for Harris IMO. 

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Most of that OT was comically bad for the Habs but that last bit was exciting as hell. 

Primeau did play well and I think most of the team played well but a tough night for Harris IMO. 

Agree on Harris…I didn’t think Evans was all that hot either. Savard and Barron, by contrast, struck me as having good nights. Presumably not all Habs played especially well, given how outclassed we were for good chunks of the game. 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They were shockingly bad in OT, considering how well they have usually played three-on-three.

36 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

They were shockingly bad in OT, considering how well they have usually played three-on-three.

Couldn’t pass the red line if their lives depended on it. 

Stole a point regardless. 

Sure, the Flyers played good and hit the post a bunch but Primeau played incredibly well and I think the Habs should have stolen 2 points.  I have no idea why Barron laid down and slid on Tippets goal.   I believe he would have been in the way of the shot if he was upright.   D’oh, Harris with a terrible penalty and a failed PK.  Without those 2 issues it could have been a 2-0 game.  

Flyers had a close 1 but I was convinced it didn’t go in. 

Great play by Savard at Habs goal line flattening the Flyer and good on him for protecting the downed Flyer from a point shot too.  

I thought for sure Yolenen would keep the SO going.

It looks like they need to start practicing 3 on 3 again.  I said this last that they need to be good at 3 on 3.  They have a ton of close 1 goal games that go into OT.  Plus, the Run of 21 almost didn't happen because of a whack of OT loses.  It is smart to be purposely good at it.  

My three thoughts midway through the season.

1. This is a one line team. Need some secondary forwards to put up some points.

2. We lose too many puck battles. Way too many.

3. Do we need a tactician type associate coach? High danger chances for vs against seem way too high. 

Maybe the team is just that bad that all 3 points are because they suck.

1. Agreed and this Has been true for a while, with Dach and Newhook out, that kills the second line.

A lot of people are criticizing Evans usage and its true he's played too much, but he's also our second best 5v5 centre right now because Monahan has fallen off at 5v5 and Dach is out....  Meanwhile Newhook was producing as a winger. 

Add in Pearson and Dvorak from the third line and the depth has been gutted. 

3. We definitely need someone for the PK which is attrocious.  The 5v5 play wasn't bad when we had a full lineup, so i think the issues at 5v5 are lack of depth.  The PK issues have been ongoing for 2 years.

4.  Yup, this roster is not good overall even with Dach and Newhook we need a bit more at forward. 

I hate to pin losses on an individual but man...  Josh Anderson could have won this game at least twice, if not 3 times.   Just finish Josh please !!!

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

3. We definitely need someone for the PK which is attrocious.  The 5v5 play wasn't bad when we had a full lineup, so i think the issues at 5v5 are lack of depth.  The PK issues have been ongoing for 2 years.

Danault in the summer of 2021 and then Lehkonen at the 2022 TDL. 😢