Game #46 - Canadiens vs Bruins

GHT120

58 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

WiFi is there to develop his game for the long-term benefit of both the player and the Habs ... rushing him back because other players are not performing does not support those goals.

Yup and Kovacevic has not been better than any other D currently on the team.  His recent games have had big struggles.

I'm losing faith in coach/GM over the sad state of our blueline; their refusal to make lineup changes is an exercise in stubborn stupidity at this point.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe he ate too many of those donuts they were babbling about?

It's nice to hear them saying good things about the Habs, but they appeared not to know the game's actual score.

Just bizarre stuff 

I wonder if HNIC will do postgame analysis talking up how great the Habs played

5 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I'm losing faith in coach/GM over the sad state of our blueline; their refusal to make lineup changes is an exercise in stubborn stupidity at this point.

What change do you propose ... rush Xhekaj and/or Mailloux up to try to benefit the Habs in the short term rather than benefiting the team and players in the long-term?

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

What change do you propose ... rush Xhekaj and/or Mailloux up to try to benefit the Habs in the short term rather than benefiting the team and players in the long-term?

Wifi is NHL ready given the right partner, just needs to be mindful of penalties.  We desperately need his strength in and around our net, as opponents are camping out there without consequence and scoring easily and often.  Mailloux, no...he needs the seasoning in Laval, but I'd sure as hell give Kovacevic a shot again based on how absolutely useless both Barron and Harris look lately.

Kovacevic's struggles seem really to have exposed the D. With him out - and I agree that he was struggling badly, so it's not just his absence but his regression - our D suddenly looks like a bunch of rookies brought up too soon. It doesn't help that Struble also seems to be regressing after his impressive start.

Mid-year fatigue, which is often an issue with young players, may also be relevant. Most of these guys were injured last season and do not have experience with the meat-grinder of a full NHL season.

Just think, three games ago people on this board were talking about us as a borderline playoff team...

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Kovacevic's struggles seem really to have exposed the D. With him out - and I agree that he was struggling badly, so it's not just his absence but his regression - our D suddenly looks like a bunch of rookies brought up too soon. It doesn't help that Struble also seems to be regressing after his impressive start.

While I agree that Struble has struggled recently, I think it's worth noting those struggles have only come since he was moved into the top four.  They're still trying to find that fourth top-four guy and clearly, he's not ready for the role.  (Which isn't a bad thing, he's 20-some games into his career, he shouldn't be ready for that role.)  Is it regression or him being overmatched against better opponents in less sheltered minutes?  I'm hoping they put him back with Harris, a third pairing that was doing quite fine before the blueline shuffle happened.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

They have a young blueline, it's growing pains and just one game. They have been very competitive against some really good teams recently.  I am not going to lose any sleep over this one. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Wifi is NHL ready given the right partner, just needs to be mindful of penalties.  We desperately need his strength in and around our net, as opponents are camping out there without consequence and scoring easily and often.  Mailloux, no...he needs the seasoning in Laval, but I'd sure as hell give Kovacevic a shot again based on how absolutely useless both Barron and Harris look lately.

You are entitled to your opinion ... but I feel that the Habs needs this season must be subordinate to their needs next year and beyond ... my hope is that Xhekaj's defensive game and his offence can grow to the degree that his toughness is a plus, not his be-all end-all.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

While I agree that Struble has struggled recently, I think it's worth noting those struggles have only come since he was moved into the top four.  They're still trying to find that fourth top-four guy and clearly, he's not ready for the role.  (Which isn't a bad thing, he's 20-some games into his career, he shouldn't be ready for that role.)  Is it regression or him being overmatched against better opponents in less sheltered minutes?  I'm hoping they put him back with Harris, a third pairing that was doing quite fine before the blueline shuffle happened.

Good analysis - thanks. Then I agree, we should bump him down; but who moves up? They're all terrible right now.

Broadly speaking, our D-men are being stretched beyond their capacity, and that's why we're having these games where we look like dogmeat. I really think if Kovacevic could return to form, it would help mitigate this problem. I suppose this is obvious, on one level, but it really underscores just how important K-man's surprisingly strong play has been to this transitional phase of the rebuild. 

Well, we have played the top 10 teams in the league pretty well so far...

I believe we are now 6-6-3 in the 15 games played thus far against them. Only getting blown up by Boston tonight and Vancouver

Struble getting roughed up I wouldn't read to much into as it's not like we have seen him regress game by game. I thought Barron should of been the guy to sit when Harris first returned but, Im just an arm chair coach.

This looks more like a team missing there 2nd line and young core unable to hang with a juggernaut 

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Mid-year fatigue, which is often an issue with young players, may also be relevant. Most of these guys were injured last season and do not have experience with the meat-grinder of a full NHL season.

Just think, three games ago people on this board were talking about us as a borderline playoff team...

Playoffs next season with a healthy Dach and Newhook and hopefully HuGo add another forward too. 

We are miles away from a contender but we are closer to a bubble team than a bottom feeder.  

If I remember the next time that I make a game thread I will add a poll about making the playoffs next season. 

Is there a hockey trade out there for Matheson?  It sounds ridiculous to trade your best defenseman, but the cupboard is very full on the left side and the right is a bunch of question marks. I don't like seeing Ghule on the right side. He's done ok over there, but it's not ideal for his development. 

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

You are entitled to your opinion ... but I feel that the Habs needs this season must be subordinate to their needs next year and beyond ... my hope is that Xhekaj's defensive game and his offence can grow to the degree that his toughness is a plus, not his be-all end-all.

Xhekaj and Mailloux pairing is eating up huge minutes and have transformed Lavals season since being put together. I would just leave that pair in Laval to continue to grow, develop and play big minutes in all situations this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• dlbalr changed the title to Game #46 - Canadiens vs Bruins