Trade Deadline 2024

Neech

Does Kent have another deal in him? I personally would be surprised if Savard got moved given his leadership role to our young defenders. Armia, Pearson and Allen might not be movable.

Around the league, Byram seems like a huge pick up in the division if he can stay healthy. 

I expect a very quiet deadline from HuGo. Even the rumour mill is quiet. Next year, when expectations shift and some contracts are expiring, should be much livelier. But who knows.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I expect a very quiet deadline from HuGo. Even the rumour mill is quiet. Next year, when expectations shift and some contracts are expiring, should be much livelier. But who knows.

I think the only names that are in the mill in any way now, are Allen and Savard.  Both of which have another year on their deal, making less need to trade by Friday and for teams really interesting, it hurts their value.

The only one Hughes is actively shopping I believe is Allen or Primeau.  Have read over the last couple of days Hughes is saying he's ok with carrying 3 goalies to the end of the season. That's  probably posturing though.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree, too many guys with term and Pearson is not desirable with his cap hit.  But you never, would like to be pleasantly surprised. Was happy with the Monahan trade and that was the big one, glad he stayed healthy. 

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, too many guys with term and Pearson is not desirable with his cap hit.  But you never, would like to be pleasantly surprised. Was happy with the Monahan trade and that was the big one, glad he stayed healthy. 

With my BOLD PREDICTION 2:59 trade of Allen to Colorado for Johansen off the table (unless Flyers want to pay to dispose of Ryan) ... I'll replace it with Hughes uses his last retention slot to move Pearson at 2:59 if he has found no other use for it by then ... the purpose being to reinforce Habs' reputation of "doing right" by veterans ... I could also see him looking to pick up a "NHLer already in the AHL, or two" to help the Rocket, especially if they decide to keep Roy up with the Habs for the rest of the season.

The reputation of doing right by the players is more of a Gainey, Bergevin thing than HughGort.

The current crew is doing right by the rebuild and it is all business 

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The reputation of doing right by the players is more of a Gainey, Bergevin thing than HughGort.

I think it's important to Hughes to do right by the veterans and I agree with GHT120 that he could use the last retention spot to move Pearson if there is nothing else on the table. Hughes did his best to get Petry where he wanted to go (Detroit) so I believe it's definitely important to him to do the veterans a favour where he can. Reputation is important. 

10 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

The only one Hughes is actively shopping I believe is Allen or Primeau.  Have read over the last couple of days Hughes is saying he's ok with carrying 3 goalies to the end of the season. That's  probably posturing though.

I don't think it's posturing.  If the options are sell Allen for a minimal return now or wait until June when more teams will have an opening, he's going to be quite comfortable running with the existing setup for six more weeks and bank on doing better trade-wise three months from now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

While the primary focus is the rebuild, I disagree that "doing right by the player" is not also part of the Hughes ethos ... for example, as Habs Fan in Edmonton said above, he traded for Petry knowing Jeff didn't want to be here and JP ended up in Detroit (for a "body" and a 2025 4th), where he wanted to be, not necessarily for the best return ... Monahan apparently had a say in where he went despite not having a NTC ... and at the start of the season, it was intimated that if Allen were traded he would have a say in where he went beyond his 7-team NTC.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

While the primary focus is the rebuild, I disagree that "doing right by the player" is not also part of the Hughes ethos ... for example, as Habs Fan in Edmonton said above, he traded for Petry knowing Jeff didn't want to be here and JP ended up in Detroit (for a "body" and a 2025 4th), where he wanted to be, not necessarily for the best return ... Monahan apparently had a say in where he went despite not having a NTC ... and at the start of the season, it was intimated that if Allen were traded he would have a say in where he went beyond his 7-team NTC.

Agree. In an era of player mobility, it is important to be seen to treat people in classy way. The key is to not allow that to undermine your wider organizational goals (as MB did, for example, when he gave Gally a ridiculous contract, seemingly out of a sentimental attachment to the guy).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not true at all. 

The issue of doing right by the player has been something that has come up in the Monahan trade, in the Allen situation, Petry (both times), Edmundson, and in a number of others. 

but sure, crap on this front office and praise the last one.  You could have showed me this post with no name on it and I would have known immediately who wrote it, its very predictable. 

But yeah Bergevin was so good for the players, he banned legends like Believeau and Lafleur from talking to them, such a good guy that Bergevin. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

didn’t do right by a bunch of others… but I don’t want to repeat myself. 
I just hope they get the rebuild right. 

Edmundson to TO.

could prove to be smart add come playoff time, recall him being a defensive warrior if nothing else.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Bergevin? The "if you want loyalty, buy a dog." guy?

Hughes kept his gentleman's agreement with Monahan about trading to a contender when he signed his one year deal. Also handled the Petry trade request with aplomb. It was noticed. https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-canadiens-hughes-tried-to-do-the-right-thing-trading-jeff-petry-again

Not sure who the "bunch of others" that he apparently didn't treat right would be.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Not true at all. 

The issue of doing right by the player has been something that has come up in the Monahan trade, in the Allen situation, Petry (both times), Edmundson, and in a number of others. 

but sure, crap on this front office and praise the last one.  You could have showed me this post with no name on it and I would have known immediately who wrote it, its very predictable. 

But yeah Bergevin was so good for the players, he banned legends like Believeau and Lafleur from talking to them, such a good guy that Bergevin. 

Yeah, if “doing right by the player” includes signing Gally to his deal along with Armia, Anderson, etc. And then also being a douche to Markov, Subban and more then sign me up for the opposite.  

Just like in the locker room of a successful team, team comes first individual second.

Just now, huzer said:

Bergevin? The "if you want loyalty, buy a dog." guy?

Hughes kept his gentleman's agreement with Monahan about trading to a contender when he signed his one year deal. Also handled the Petry trade request with aplomb. It was noticed. https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-canadiens-hughes-tried-to-do-the-right-thing-trading-jeff-petry-again

Not sure who the "bunch of others" that he apparently didn't treat right would be.

Hit the nail on the head here 

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I am sure there has always been interest, just don't think teams are willing to give a 1st for him. I wonder if Pittsburgh just gave up today knowing they were losing Guentzel. 

That's a great pick up for Carolina, not an expert on the prospects given up but I don't think any of them appear to be in their top 5 prospects. And it's only a 1st round pick if they get to the final (31 or 32). I get that Pittsburgh has to restock their farm system otherwise they will be brutal in a few years when their core ages out. I wonder how their veterans feel about this trade? Dubas is in a tough spot. 

I expect something from Tampa tomorrow, the Islanders have almost caught them for the last wild card spot and they have a couple games in hand. Missing the playoffs is not an option as they wouldn't even benefit from having a decent 1st round pick as they have given them up for the next couple years.  But they also don't have much in the way of draft capital to give up for anything. They are in a tough spot. 

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I expect something from Tampa tomorrow, the Islanders have almost caught them for the last wild card spot and they have a couple games in hand. Missing the playoffs is not an option as they wouldn't even benefit from having a decent 1st round pick as they have given them up for the next couple years.  But they also don't have much in the way of draft capital to give up for anything. They are in a tough spot. 

Something more?
They picked up Duclair last night.

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Dubas is in a tough spot. 

Don't have a lot of sympathy ... it is exactly the situation he should have known he was getting into last summer, and one on which he doubled down by trading for Karlsson ... after this season, they have 3-yrs of EK, 4-yrs of Letang, 2-yrs of Malkin and pending 2025 UFA Crosby ... they will have almost $12M in cap space this summer but not certain that can be used to get one of the oldest teams in the league back to the playoffs.

Thus far, if I was a Laffs fan, I would be pissed that Treliving thinks two 6/7 defencemen (unless Joel has found a time machine back to "the playoff run") and a BIG, 4th-yr university defencemen (who didn't get a whisper, that I could find, on any of Carolina's "top prospects" lists) can have any real impact on their defence's playoff performance.