2023/2024 season playoff discussion

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Florida/Boston game 

How was that not goaltender interference? He knocked the stick out of Bob’s hand. 

I want these bruins eliminated tonight 

That was the Florida D-man knocking the stick. The real question was the contact at the edge of the blue before that.

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That was the Florida D-man knocking the stick. The real question was the contact at the edge of the blue before that.

Well that explains the non reversal then. I didn’t realize it was the Florida player that knocked his stick. 

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Great game in Edmonton, go Oilers!

Every game in the series has been great. 

This is going seven games I bet. The play is back and forth and mostly even

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Well that explains the non reversal then. I didn’t realize it was the Florida player that knocked his stick. 

Every game in the series has been great. 

This is going seven games I bet. The play is back and forth and mostly even

Vancouver tried their patented third-period comeback and almost pulled it off - but, no miracle this time.

What's happened so far is that Van is strong enough to force EDM into a desperate position, but EDM has won each time they're desperate. One or the other of these patterns will break and that will settle the series.

Now is a best of three in 2 series, will the Aves survive to play a game 6?

Bouchard is doing well eh.

image.png

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Now is a best of three in 2 series, will the Aves survive to play a game 6?

Bouchard is doing well eh.

image.png

Draisaitl is such a beast, certainly one of the players who can elevate his game in the playoffs.  He has 97 points in 58 playoffs (phenomenal).  In comparison Marner has 50 points in 57 playoff games and Matthews has 48 points in 55 playoff games. It's not a small sample size. 

Not sure if the Oilers can afford to resign him and McDavid. Paying Nurse 9.5M doesn't help the situation.  What is Draisaitl worth when you see what others are getting? 

Draisaitl is an interesting guy. He has had some really crusty interviews with the Edmonton media but he obviously brings those stubborn qualities out on the ice with him. His physical strength makes him tough to contain. 

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Draisaitl is such a beast, certainly one of the players who can elevate his game in the playoffs.  He has 97 points in 58 playoffs (phenomenal).  In comparison Marner has 50 points in 57 playoff games and Matthews has 48 points in 55 playoff games. It's not a small sample size. 

Not sure if the Oilers can afford to resign him and McDavid. Paying Nurse 9.5M doesn't help the situation.  What is Draisaitl worth when you see what others are getting? 

Draisaitl is an interesting guy. He has had some really crusty interviews with the Edmonton media but he obviously brings those stubborn qualities out on the ice with him. His physical strength makes him tough to contain. 

Draisaitl is going to cost 12 million plus a season I bet. 

He is probably the second best player in the league right now (battling with Mackinnon). 

It would be a very bold move to trade him instead of signing him. 

Do you think they even consider trading Draisaitl?

16 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Draisaitl is going to cost 12 million plus a season I bet. 

He is probably the second best player in the league right now (battling with Mackinnon). 

It would be a very bold move to trade him instead of signing him. 

Do you think they even consider trading Draisaitl?

If they can't afford him, they'll have to, no?

Unless they win the Cup, the whole Draisaitl-McDavid era is an epic, historic fail by management.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If they can't afford him, they'll have to, no?

Unless they win the Cup, the whole Draisaitl-McDavid era is an epic, historic fail by management.

It would be a terrible waste of talent. Pittsburg had Crosby and Malkin and they won cups. Edmonton has at the very least an equivalent duo and nothing. 

A trade would return a great deal no doubt but man what a failure. 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Pittsburg had Crosby and Malkin and they won cups. 

And a Fleury-Letang-Hossa-etc, a solid team or pieces built around them. Which is what Oilers & Leafs seem to lack.

Go Aves!

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You have to sign him the Nurse deal made no sense the day it was signed, given his production level.

Draisaitl is the type of player you make room to sign. 

Tocchet ripped “five or six guys” who aren’t showing up. That’s an unusual play for him and is the first time this playoff he has publicly revealed dissatisfaction or even concern. Normally he just says they need to stick with the plan.

I said coming out of the previous series - not that this took any great hockey acumen - that unless Pettersson got going, the Canucks would go nowhere. They’ve got Miller on McDavid and Lindholm on Dreiseitl. Those two have done a decent job, mostly, of containing the two superstars 5-on-5. That leaves Pettersson facing the Oilers’ generic third-line C. That is the matchup the Canucks have to win. And if they don’t win it, they will likely lose the series.

When you consider that Filip Hronek is also MIA *and* that Demko is injured, it’s actually quite impressive they’ve gotten this far.  The team’s best FW is producing little, its #2 D-man likewise, and its stud goalie is hurt. They’ve thus far defied the old adage that your best players have to be your best players. But something’s gotta give.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You have to sign him the Nurse deal made no sense the day it was signed, given his production level.

Draisaitl is the type of player you make room to sign. 

No question, Nurse was an overpay. I guess they were worried about him leaving as a UFA but he certainly isn't leaving now as nobody else is going to pay him 9.5M/year. That's Makar money. 

You can't replace Draisaitl so you have to sign him somehow. If he leaves than McDavid is probably next to go. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There is one hell of a game going on in Dallas. 4-3 Colorado 15 minutes to go in the third. 

Exciting hockey 

It was until Lehkonen (1g1a 21:46) sets up Mackinnon for 5th goal to polish off the win.

7 hours ago, DON said:

It was until Lehkonen (1g1a 21:46) sets up Mackinnon for 5th goal to polish off the win.

I don’t care who wins that series so why was I disappointed that Dallas didn’t come back?

Lehkonen sure looks good playing with high skill players instead of grinders. 

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You can't replace Draisaitl so you have to sign him somehow. If he leaves than McDavid is probably next to go. 

Depends what the return ... getting a legit 2C and #1G as the core of the deal might actually improve McDavid's chances of winning and have him accept losing Leon.

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Depends what the return ... getting a legit 2C and #1G as the core of the deal might actually improve McDavid's chances of winning and have him accept losing Leon.

Perhaps, I just see those two as tied at the hip. I think the Oilers will do everything they can can to sign Draisaitl but it won't be cheap. He will be in a great bargaining position. 

Marchand on Bennett’s punch:

“People don’t want to say it, but part of playoffs is trying to hurt every player on the other team. The more guys you take out, the more advantage your team has. … Every time you step on the ice, someone is trying to hurt someone.”

If you don't like it? Don't play in the playoffs. 

"If I have to get hurt to win? If I have to hurt someone to win? I don't care. That's part of it. And I'm not going to complain because if I'm him, I'm doing the same thing."

I think it would have been a different story if that camera angle came out a couple days before, but it is what it is. ... There's missed calls and there are missed situations, but that's a part of it."

I think he got away with a shot. But I’m not gonna complain. Shit happens. … I’ve been on the other side of a lot of plays. That’s part of the game, part of playoff hockey. Sucks to be on the other side of it, but that stuff happens."

Marchand is a dirty weasel bastard but I respect his skill and this quote. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps, I just see those two as tied at the hip. I think the Oilers will do everything they can can to sign Draisaitl but it won't be cheap. He will be in a great bargaining position. 

An out of the box solution if pushed to it would be to trade Nurse and retain up to 50%, then use the cap gained from that for Draisaitl.  Nurse at $4.25m-$5m has value.  It's not the most ideal way, and I do believe Draisaitl will take a discount.  I don't see any situation where they don't find some way to resign him. 

They also have Campbell's contract to deal with as well, which will help in opening cap space.  A buyout will save about $2.5m a season, which gives the Oilers $11m, without touching anyone else on the roster, for Draisaitl.

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

An out of the box solution if pushed to it would be to trade Nurse and retain up to 50%, then use the cap gained from that for Draisaitl.  Nurse at $4.25m-$5m has value.  It's not the most ideal way, and I do believe Draisaitl will take a discount.  I don't see any situation where they don't find some way to resign him. 

They also have Campbell's contract to deal with as well, which will help in opening cap space.  A buyout will save about $2.5m a season, which gives the Oilers $11m, without touching anyone else on the roster, for Draisaitl.

They will have to get creative. Giving away Nurse and paying 50% ($4.75M) for the next 6 years is too much. I don't think Nurse is going anywhere.  But I agree they will have to think outside the box

Campbell's contract is a big boat anchor. I think they have to use 3M of cap space next year for Connor Brown's bonus. Ouch!  Warren Foegele who had a really good year (20 goals) will be gone. They will need some guys on cheap contracts next year, some tough decisions to make. If they don't win it this year, next year will be tougher. 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Marchand on Bennett’s punch:

“People don’t want to say it, but part of playoffs is trying to hurt every player on the other team. The more guys you take out, the more advantage your team has. … Every time you step on the ice, someone is trying to hurt someone.”

If you don't like it? Don't play in the playoffs. 

"If I have to get hurt to win? If I have to hurt someone to win? I don't care. That's part of it. And I'm not going to complain because if I'm him, I'm doing the same thing."

I think it would have been a different story if that camera angle came out a couple days before, but it is what it is. ... There's missed calls and there are missed situations, but that's a part of it."

I think he got away with a shot. But I’m not gonna complain. Shit happens. … I’ve been on the other side of a lot of plays. That’s part of the game, part of playoff hockey. Sucks to be on the other side of it, but that stuff happens."

Marchand is a dirty weasel bastard but I respect his skill and this quote. 

How tolerable this quote is depends on what it means to "try to hurt" a guy. If it means typical stuff like cross-checking, high-sticking, and all the other stickwork crap that manifests in hockey, leaving welts and bruises, extracting teeth, etc., OK. If it means doing your best to hit guys as hard as possible and punish them every time they get the puck, you bet. 

If it means deliberately looking to concuss guys or break their bones and "take them out" with vicious hits to the head, slashes, knee jobs, etc., then no damned way.

He clearly has in mind deliberate attempts to injure. So if Kreider deliberately smashes Carey Price's knee and ends his career, hey, that's great as far as this POS is concerned. Similarly, if Chara intentionally drives Pacioretty into a stanchion, nearly paralyzes him for life, and puts him out for months, that's just Jim Dandy. Just "hockey plays." Nope. No thanks.

What Bennett did to Marchand was unbelievably dirty IMHO - a deliberate, sneak sucker-punch on the side the refs couldn't see. I don't really care how Marchand feels about it, Bennett should have been suspended. 

This league is a disgrace on player safety and attitudes like Marchand's are the major reason why.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How tolerable this quote is depends on what it means to "try to hurt" a guy. If it means typical stuff like cross-checking, high-sticking, and all the other stickwork crap that manifests in hockey, leaving welts and bruises, extracting teeth, etc., OK. If it means doing your best to hit guys as hard as possible and punish them every time they get the puck, you bet. 

If it means deliberately looking to concuss guys or break their bones and "take them out" with vicious hits to the head, slashes, knee jobs, etc., then no damned way.

He clearly has in mind deliberate attempts to injure. So if Kreider deliberately smashes Carey Price's knee and ends his career, hey, that's great as far as this POS is concerned. Similarly, if Chara intentionally drives Pacioretty into a stanchion, nearly paralyzes him for life, and puts him out for months, that's just Jim Dandy. Just "hockey plays." Nope. No thanks.

What Bennett did to Marchand was unbelievably dirty IMHO - a deliberate, sneak sucker-punch on the side the refs couldn't see. I don't really care how Marchand feels about it, Bennett should have been suspended. 

This league is a disgrace on player safety and attitudes like Marchand's are the major reason why.

hear! hear!

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

They will have to get creative. Giving away Nurse and paying 50% ($4.75M) for the next 6 years is too much. I don't think Nurse is going anywhere.  But I agree they will have to think outside the box

If they are retaining on Nurse, they aren't giving him away.  Nurse at $4.75m has fair value.  He averages 22+ minutes a game, which will run any team $4.75m+.  While I agree, retaining $4.75 for 6 years is too much, we also need to factor in this is a situation where it's this or lose Draisaitl.  So retain $4.75m+ for 6 years and have Draisaitl, or don't and lose Draisaitl. 

I don't see that happening, because all they need to come up with is roughly $3m($2.5m-$3.5m) in cap space to get the deal done.  A Campbell buyout does that if Draisaitl takes a deal and signs for $11m.  I expect Draisaitl to sign close to McDavid, but he won't get more.  Plus they don't have to buyout Campbell until next year, knocking the buyout down from 6 years (if it were done this offseason) to 4.

This is all accounting for not using any extra cap space, because they have Bouchard to worry about the year after.  Someone who I don't see them affording.  He will be $7m on the low end for his next contract, probably closer to Nurse's money.