Koivu Optimistic

Athlétique.Canadien

While he does have 3 weeks still, to recover it has been 5 months. Hard to see how that eye is going to get drastically better in 3 weeks.

Hopefully he gets better, cause if he's a no go, its going to be a blow that Montreal will struggle to recover from.

I just realized something. I can't change my user name. It's destiny. The cup is ours. It's a twist. Another ghost awaiting the Centennial. :hlogo:

Assistant Captain Kirk Muller #11 won the cup

Captain Saku Koivu! #11

CAC 11

CHC 11

The ROCKET. The next cup will be the Eleventh Stanley Cup won since Maurice "Rocket" Richard.

:hlogo:

HAIL #9 & #11

MRichard150.jpg

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

RDS is reporting that his eye is not fine and has a cataract (sp?). Normally, cataracts require surgery but he might wait until the end of the season and wear a special contact lens during the season.

Why not go under the knife now? and get it done! he might then be able to get back before playoffs!

well preseason starts very soon and it will be easier to figure out what to do then.

because the article says that Koivu wants to wait until the end of the season! if its cause the docs think it can improve then so be it but if it requires surgery then why wait?

this has all the makings of a mid season issue...

i would rather koivu get the surgery right now! That is a ticking time bomb that will truely suck for the playoffs.

There are two big risks.. his play suffers from this due to the bluriness (he is a passer, they need vision!) but he makes it through the season. That is not great, since we need Koivu at his BEST. We need him to play better then last year.

The second risk is that this becomes apparent to them, or the situation gets worse, and he ends up taking the second half of the season off for surgery. Even if he comes back for the playoffs, if we make it without him, he will be rusty.

All I can say is keep your fingers crossed on this one. :(

Brobin

i meant we will see if the contact lens a sufficient corrective effect to allow koivu to postpone the surgery

right!

yet if Koivu isnt 100% the thought of playing as is shows his determination! and I dont really want him to miss playing at all! but hopefully he acknowledges his limitation and is open to adjust to new roles if need be! but again we shall find out in a few weeks!

this has all the makings of a mid season issue...

i would rather koivu get the surgery right now! That is a ticking time bomb that will truely suck for the playoffs.

There are two big risks.. his play suffers from this due to the bluriness (he is a passer, they need vision!) but he makes it through the season. That is not great, since we need Koivu at his BEST. We need him to play better then last year.

The second risk is that this becomes apparent to them, or the situation gets worse, and he ends up taking the second half of the season off for surgery. Even if he comes back for the playoffs, if we make it without him, he will be rusty.

All I can say is keep your fingers crossed on this one. :(

Brobin

Hear hear!

Koivu is not Mario Lemieux - he's not good enough to be effective at, say, 60%. If he struggles during camp and every shift is an act of mere survival, then the proper thing would be to stop hoping for a miracle and bite the bullet and get the surgery. That would minimize the risk of further injury to Saks AND allow the Canadiens to plan to replace him sooner rather than later. (I still say that, if Saks doesn't heal, a big trade for a bona fide #1 or #1 A centreman is our best option. That would be a genuine crisis calling for bold measures).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I'm rather surprised that this thread isn't next to one that says that things are not looking good for Koivu. :wacko::wacko:

One day up.... :) one day down.... :(

:king: :hlogo: :king:

bed goes up, bed goes down

Bed goes down...

rds.ca, in it's most recent Canadiens-related article states that Koivu's vision hasn't improved and that he'll have to use a contact lens on his left eye as a cataract has developed. Koivu's hoping not to have to have a cataract operation.

and on goes the saga................... <_<<_<<_<

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Probably already posted, but saw this a minute ago:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ap6M...p&type=lgns

I wish he'd just go ahead and get the surgery over with now. I'd rather lose him for the first 2 months than the last two months.

I'm also worried that the article says the blind spot in his peripheral vision is permanent. The man plays the game with his eyes, not having a full field of vision will really hurt him in my opinion.

"The blind spot is still there," said Koivu. "The good news is that it's not going to get any worse; the bad news is that it's not going to get any better."

Koivu said it was still too early to say how the injury would affect his performance.

The peripheral vision is gone for good, or at least, until cataract surgery (best case scenario).

My great fear in hockey terms, as I said in the 'What If Koivu Can't Go' thread, is that Koivu comes back diminished - say, as a 50-point guy instead of a 70-point guy - and then the Habs are on the hook for his $4 million salary for what, three more years. We'd be left without cap room to go out and sign a bona fide #1 centre to replace him. In other words, we'd be completely f**ked.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber