Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

A rumour of a different kind:

A possible concern here is that Ottawa and Montreal split the same region which is why TSN dropped Montreal's rights a few years ago.  Unless they really work with the league on the scheduling, there are going to be some overlap games which would bump one of the feeds (likely Montreal's considering Ottawa has the bigger rights deal) to random alternate feeds.

1/2 the games on TSN would be a bonus though.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

A rumour of a different kind:

A possible concern here is that Ottawa and Montreal split the same region which is why TSN dropped Montreal's rights a few years ago.  Unless they really work with the league on the scheduling, there are going to be some overlap games which would bump one of the feeds (likely Montreal's considering Ottawa has the bigger rights deal) to random alternate feeds.

TSN decided they wanted to be ESPN and now has five channels. Most only have one and two but if you have a Bell Sports package I think you get all five. I think they have no issue bumping to the other feeds. They are at times struggling to fill three feeds let alone five. I think they must have got these ready in case they got the NHL deal and they didn't.

24 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

TSN decided they wanted to be ESPN and now has five channels. Most only have one and two but if you have a Bell Sports package I think you get all five. I think they have no issue bumping to the other feeds. They are at times struggling to fill three feeds let alone five. I think they must have got these ready in case they got the NHL deal and they didn't.

The feeds are regional based though.  

1) is national.

2) is alternate.

3) shows what is on #1, or something regional for Western Canada Related.

4) Shows what is on #1 or something regional for GTA 

5) Shows what is on #1 or something regional for the East Coast. 

Its more like the sportsnet set up.  Regional channels... plus Sportsnet 1 (aka TSN2), than it is meant to be different programming in each region. 

Where i live, if you get a single TSN channel and not all 5, they give you TSN4 ... the national shows, plus local Toronto coverage... not TSN1.

Guest Stogey24

Kovalchuk apparently asking for upward of 7 mill a year.... So much for that 

Also a rumour he wants to stay in khl, so he can play in Olympics 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Kovalchuk apparently asking for upward of 7 mill a year.... So much for that

That's not all that surprising.  I had him at 3/18 at an absolute minimum.  He's not taking a big pay cut to come back to the NHL.

Just to add to what Commandant noted regarding the regional channels for TSN (I believe TSN1 is regional as well; 4 geographic regions like SNET with TSN2 as the main, regional items often go on 1/3/4/5), a note on this from the Gazette:

The official announcement has probably been held up because there are details to be worked out. TSN also has a deal to televise Ottawa Senators games and there will be some scheduling conflicts. Because it is strictly a regional telecast, viewers outside the East region — Eastern Ontario, Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces — will see fewer games. Sportsnet had the ability to televise some mid-week games on a national basis.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/canadiens-english-language-regional-telecasts-moving-to-tsn

Guest Stogey24
43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's not all that surprising.  I had him at 3/18 at an absolute minimum.  He's not taking a big pay cut to come back to the NHL.

Friedman still seems to think Habs are in on him 

57 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Friedman still seems to think Habs are in on him 

I think his interview was yesterday morning while the report saying he's staying in Russia came out after that.

Dallas has let it be known their 3rd overall pick is in play. I have no idea what kind of package we could put together for that pick, or even whether it makes sense to go after such a pick when the team is desperate to WIN NOW given its limited window, but I thought I'd toss that out there.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Dallas has let it be known their 3rd overall pick is in play. I have no idea what kind of package we could put together for that pick, or even whether it makes sense to go after such a pick when the team is desperate to WIN NOW given its limited window, but I thought I'd toss that out there.

I have no interest in paying a premium for the third overall pick in this draft. 

If it comes cheap, ok... but I doubt thats the case. 

1st or 2nd overall i might do to solve our longstanding centre issue, but not #3. 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Not necessarily Habs related, but the belief is that the Oilers have offers for Eberle. I do wonder if Bergevin has Eberle as a plan B if Radulov doesn't re-sign?

Trade for him and sign Radulov. 

Plekanec and Beaulieu for Eberle. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Trade for him and sign Radulov. 

Plekanec and Beaulieu for Eberle. 

My two biggest fears are that if we did trade eberle, it would be for Gallagher, or that if we picked upwe'd probably end up moving galchenyuk afterwards.

frankly, I'd look at a deal for Gallagher, because he may be damaged goods now, but no way I'd trade him for eberle.

Why does everyone want Eberle? The last thing the habs need is another perimeter small forward who won't produce anymore than someone he would be replacing. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

My two biggest fears are that if we did trade eberle, it would be for Gallagher, or that if we picked upwe'd probably end up moving galchenyuk afterwards.

frankly, I'd look at a deal for Gallagher, because he may be damaged goods now, but no way I'd trade him for eberle.

An ominous thought. Gallagher seemed to get stronger towards the end of the season/playoffs...I'd be interested in people's insights into whether he may indeed be damaged goods. Given how he plays, that was always my fear, that he'd break down physically - but I didn't think it'd happen this soon...

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

An ominous thought. Gallagher seemed to get stronger towards the end of the season/playoffs...I'd be interested in people's insights into whether he may indeed be damaged goods. Given how he plays, that was always my fear, that he'd break down physically - but I didn't think it'd happen this soon...

Well remember all the complaints last year about how subban's high  inaccurate shot would injure one of our players.  Well, guess who's shot took out Gallagher.

hand and arm injuries can become chronic.  Remember gionta with his bicep issues as well.  I've had bi-lateral eppicondinitis (golf and tennis elbow in both arms for the last 5 years).  I did 2 1/2 years of physio, 3 cortisone shots in each arm and two tenotomies in each arm before I could start working out again, and at best they will be at 60% gong forward.  So I'd be looking to move Gallagher. I thought he'd be injured as well because of his style of play.  However I thought it would be back issues given all of the cross checks he takes.

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well remember all the complaints last year about how subban's high  inaccurate shot would injure one of our players.  Well, guess who's shot took out Gallagher.

hand and arm injuries can become chronic.  Remember gionta with his bicep issues as well.  I've had bi-lateral eppicondinitis (golf and tennis elbow in both arms for the last 5 years).  I did 2 1/2 years of physio, 3 cortisone shots in each arm and two tenotomies in each arm before I could start working out again, and at best they will be at 60% gong forward.  So I'd be looking to move Gallagher. I thought he'd be injured as well because of his style of play.  However I thought it would be back issues given all of the cross checks he takes.

Your first paragraph is mordantly funny - and also illustrative of the double standard around these players. If PK's shot had done that, it would have been taken as 'still more proof' of his undisciplined non-team-player nature. But when Weber does it, well, that just shows how fearsome his shot is. :rolleyes: In fact, it can happen to anyone and proves nothing either way.

I hope you're wrong about Gally - and I'm sorry to learn of your own injuries - but the concern does seem legitimate.

I'm not overly concerned about Gallagher's injuries. 

That said, on his contract, he's a fantastic trade chip.  Given we have more wingers than centres, if he needed to be in a package to get that centre we need, I would do it. 

The fact that Lehkonen is coming into his own. Byron surprised. Hudon is NHL ready. Scherbak is our best prospect. Shaw can play the front of the net role on the powerplay/pest in all situations, he's one of the more replaceable pieces on this roster. 

Of course this is all working under the assumption that Radulov is back too. 

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I can see how it would have at the very least taken quite a toll on him this season. I'd be surprised if he was ever 100% this season. As for the long term, I can see the argument but I think he can return to form. The one thing I have noticed is that many teams seem to have a Gallagher player of their own nowadays. Guentzel on the Pens, Arvidsson on the Preds, Dzingel on the Sens. They're not all the same type of player but they're all undersized players who tend to hustle and have some skill. Then you have next leve guys like Gaudreau and Marner who are a hybrid of Gallagher and Galchenyuk.

When Gallagher came into the league, he was the new age Theo Fleury. A few years later and it seems as though these types of players are quite common and actually some teams have two or three Gallaghers. I love Gallagher and I don't want to trade him but I'm not sure I necessarily expect him to stand out for much of the rest of his career because of this reality. Nothing against him but we can't expect to rely mainly on him.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I can see how it would have at the very least taken quite a toll on him this season. I'd be surprised if he was ever 100% this season. As for the long term, I can see the argument but I think he can return to form. The one thing I have noticed is that many teams seem to have a Gallagher player of their own nowadays. Guentzel on the Pens, Arvidsson on the Preds, Dzingel on the Sens. They're not all the same type of player but they're all undersized players who tend to hustle and have some skill. Then you have next leve guys like Gaudreau and Marner who are a hybrid of Gallagher and Galchenyuk.

When Gallagher came into the league, he was the new age Theo Fleury. A few years later and it seems as though these types of players are quite common and actually some teams have two or three Gallaghers. I love Gallagher and I don't want to trade him but I'm not sure I necessarily expect him to stand out for much of the rest of his career because of this reality. Nothing against him but we can't expect to rely mainly on him.

The only tog simiar is his size, speed and gritty style of play.  He's never really had a great shot.  Guentzal shown he's got a snipers shot.  Gallagher scores a lot from in and around the blue paint