Oct. 1, Leafs vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

But do the kids do as well against the top lines and pairings? That's my question.

A wise post. Fans will rant and rave about low minutes for the kids - and it's understandable, I'll likely do it myself - but we need to remember that the kids may look as great as they do because their minutes are being managed and they're being put into situations where they can succeed. At some point, of course, it'll be necessary to take that "next step" and use them against more challenging match-ups; and maybe Therrien will be too conservative in this respect; but we should temper our ravings in light of these considerations.

JoeLassiter, I share your suspicion that the Habs have had a disproportionate number of "very serious" injuries to key roster players over the past decade. It's almost as though the hockey gods have decided to even things up for all those wonderful dynasty years and the good luck that they reflected.

Played 30 minutes of hockey instead of 60. It'll happen early on, it shouldn't happen late in the year.

Price played well. Too many penalties taken.

The team looked fantastic in the first, split the second and were deflated in the third. Getting the late goal was nice. Great to see the third line look like a first line. I expect all year we're going to have our top three lines go back and forth on who is hot and who is cold. If all three lines were hot we'd be unstoppable.

Markov's muck up during the PP leading to the shorthanded goal was really disappointing. Not the type of thing a veteran should be doing.

I thought Parros got sucker punched at first and was boiling mad but Colton Orr had nothing to do with Parros injury. It was an accident. It should also open the eyes of the NHL that their dumb helmet rule can't prevent face to ice accidents.

Jarred Tinordi's game was decent enough for a third pair blueliner and looked better than Cube I felt, but all I can think about is how much he embarrassed Ashton. I don't mind. Do a google image search on Ashton. His face is quite punchable.

It sucks to lose to the Leafs but it's a game to build from.

Oh one more thing: we have the best fourth line in the game.

Yep, he did, it's just a shame that someone like Andrew Ference can't get pounded by Tinordi, now that he's on the Oilers.

I've been watching Markov for almost 15 years and I can't remember a dive

He's one of the biggest divers on the team.

Throwing his gloves, snapping his had back etc.

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion you need guys that DRAW penalties in today's game.

See Kadri and Subban.

I agree that the kids are being protected and playing against easy opposition. I think this is great as it will build their confidence and skills. They should be eased into playing against tougher opponents over the season as they still have a lot to learn defensively.

As for Parros and Murray, they were not brought in for the season, but the late stage playoff drive and playoffs, depending on who we play. They have time to heal.

What we really need is to see our top two lines play better. I have my doubts about dd and Gionta getting any better.

The defence still misses Emelin.

Glad to hear it was just a cncussion on Parros. Although those can be hard to recover from.

As bad as some of the forwards were, the defense is really big issue. On a top team the likes of Boullon, Tinordi (st this stage) Gorges and Diaz are all bottom pairing D men. Markov looks like a bottom pair D man in his own end, leaving them with Subban as a legit top pairing guy.

Your not going far with that.

It's the first game boys. Gotta shake the cob webs.

Why is is the Habs that are always shaking the cobwebs? Every team they've faced in the past 8 years has managed to start the season against Montreal cobweb-less.

Still miss #74 big time.

Eller played like I expected Pacioretty would. Any word on injury to Max, minor I hope?

Tinordi, Diaz, Price, Gorges, Subban all played well.

Many vets not mid-season form.

Still not sure what coach has against using Eller on the PP?

Need Plekanec never to take a PK faceoff again, great penalty killer but still cant win a faceoff in own end.

Eller and whomever was playing with him was simply dangerous all night.

Sloppy game and both goalies look good.

Nice to see Moan step up for Prust,

Hello everybody!!! Great to see some meaningful hockey being played...

My thoughts on last nights game.

I liked...

• I thought Moen played a good game. He was hard on the forecheck and even dropped the gloves to help out Prust.
  • Price was OK. I don't think he gave up a bad goal, but it would be nice if he could "save" his d-men once in while when they make a mistake!
  • The Kid Line was AWESOME. Eller Really impressed me. Let's hope he can keep this up.

What I didn't Like...

• I thought Markov's play wasn't that great, especially on his mistake!
  • DD, Gionta, Bouillon we not very impressive.

Unfortunate to see big George go down like that. Let's hope he can come back soon.

Lastly, why is it we can never seem to beat the damn leafies on the first game of the year. We've opened the season against the leafies for 15 years now...our record on those opening games: 5 wins 10 looses.

WTF!!!!

I wonder how our top lines would fare if we switched DD's wingers with Plek's. DD would start to look better facing easier opposition, and we might finally have a semblance of a first line. Of course this all depends on how Patches' wrist is doing.

Not a horrible loss, especially considering the the first-game curse vs the Leafs. Good team effort, and I thought Price was pretty solid. With a little tighter defence we could have taken that one. And of course without Markov's flub. Is it just me or does it seem like Markov's skates are glued to the ice? I hope the years and injuries haven't finally caught up to him.

How about Wolverine? I could have sworn that was a popped shoulder. 25 minutes later he's back on the ice.

EXTREMELY frustrated about what happened to Parros. I'm glad if there's no broken bones, but a concussion for him is still bad news, considering a big part of his job involves getting punched in the noggin. Half a game is not enough, I want to see more of that glorious 'stache!

Can we please just dispense with DD? Try as he might he just can't seem to make himself useful out there.

Edited by Foofram

So.

Plekanec for Edler?

My guess is around game 15, Bergevin will make a move and improve the D. That is, if we're slumping. I don't have faith in Markov, Diaz, or Bouillon. Tinordi is a rookie and CC said it best, one more injury and it's good night. Beaulieu or Pateryn won't help things.

Make it Desharnais.

A trade for Edler would be a great idea in principle. But you're not going to get him in return for Desharnais, and if we trade Pleks we are just creating another massive hole in the lineup, this time at C. (Unless Eller is ready to log Pleks-like minutes, a move I think is extremely high-risk).

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...I think we should dangle Briere at the Canucks. They are built to win now, are desperate for guys who can play C, and desperate for secondary scoring up front. Briere plus a prospect, pick or other defenceman (Diaz, say) might just bring back Edler.

A trade for Edler would be a great idea in principle. But you're not going to get him in return for Desharnais, and if we trade Pleks we are just creating another massive hole in the lineup, this time at C. (Unless Eller is ready to log Pleks-like minutes, a move I think is extremely high-risk).

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...I think we should dangle Briere at the Canucks. They are built to win now, are desperate for guys who can play C, and desperate for secondary scoring up front. Briere plus a prospect, pick or other defenceman (Diaz, say) might just bring back Edler.

Creating a media mess 101 right there. hahaha

cc ya gotta know that would be one big shite storm if MB did that. :)

cc ya gotta know that would be one big shite storm if MB did that. :)

I know it. I also know this is the organization that traded Pierre Bouchard, Stephane Richer, etc., when the GM thought it would help improve the team. I hope Bergevin has the balls to make necessary moves regardless of media bitching. (The real issue in the trade I'm proposing is whether we want to be on the hook for Edler's contract. Given the likelihood of a cap increase, I say yes; but that's where the debate should be, in a world that made sense).

I know it. I also know this is the organization that traded Pierre Bouchard, Stephane Richer, etc., when the GM thought it would help improve the team. I hope Bergevin has the balls to make necessary moves regardless of media bitching. (The real issue in the trade I'm proposing is whether we want to be on the hook for Edler's contract. Given the likelihood of a cap increase, I say yes; but that's where the debate should be, in a world that made sense).

I agree with your point that this is a business and what is best for the team is the priority. I also hope that MB has the balls to do what is the best for the team no matter what the media or the fans think. However I would disagree with bringing Edler in at 6 million per year. that is crazy money for him in my opinion.

Imagine a blueline with both Diaz and Weber. Just imagine it.

Doesn't Briere have a full NTC anyways?