Subban traded to Nashville

dlbalr

I remember that great Brisebois/Langway pairing.... its right up there with the times Doug Harvey and Matthieu Schneider played together... oh and Andrei Markov and Big Bird, that was a dominant pair.

My personal favourite was Lapointe - Souray

Now it's apparent you don't know shit. The Habs never had langway and Brisebois at the same time. Langway was traded over 10 years before Brisebois came in the league. Brisebois was an average dman, despite being the Habs top dman during the dark years of our franchise, but wasn't even considered among the the 50 dmen in the league. Subban has been in the top 5 for the past 4 years.

If you want to base a defenceman's value on draft position, what do you think about Markov? He was taken in the 6th round. Oh, and Shea Weber who you love so much was also a 2nd round pick and went 49th overall. He went later in the draft than subban did. He was the 14th dman picked and was picked behind household names and superstar players like Ryan Suter, Braydon coburn, Dion phaneuf, mark Stuart, Shawn belle, Danny Richmond, Mike egener, Brent burns, Kevin Klien, Tim ramholt, Matt smaby and the great Matt Carle.

What exactly do you do at the university? Lay down manure?

Sing it, brother!! :halm::lol:

This thread got unexpectedly hilarious

Sing it, brother!! :halm::lol:

This thread got unexpectedly hilarious

No I've got to say, with all the kooky and totally predictable overreaction by many, this thread has been quite humorous since page#1. ;)

No I've got to say, with all the kooky and totally predictable overreaction by many, this thread has been quite humorous since page#1. ;)

Oh, I know. Everything management does is just awesome.

Oh, I know. Everything management does is just awesome.

Glad you now see the light...you seemed lost for a month.

Praise be Foxhole Buddies Forever!

Sorry, I misremembered. It was a long time ago and I was pretty young. Anyway, they did play in the league at the same time for 5 years or so. Weber reminds me a lot of Langway and Souray. When he was healthy Souray, was Mtls most dominant defenseman, although it wasn't for long. Shea Weber is totally the same guy. I m,ixed up Langway and Souray, easy enough to do. It was Souray who was on the team while Breezer was there in his prime.

It's coming back to me now. Souray came for Vlad Malakhov, right? Malakhov was awesome, probably the most naturally talented defenseman the team ever had, but he was so good he played at half throttle all the time.

Edited by ethan raphael

Once again, it appears you don't know shit.

Souray was a pylon, with a cannon for a shot. I think Weber is twice the dman Souray was, otherwise we are in bigger trouble than I thought when the deal was made.

Sorry, I misremembered. It was a long time ago and I was pretty young. Anyway, they did play in the league at the same time for 5 years or so. Weber reminds me a lot of Langway and Souray. When he was healthy Souray, was Mtls most dominant defenseman, although it wasn't for long. Shea Weber is totally the same guy. I m,ixed up Langway and Souray, easy enough to do. It was Souray who was on the team while Breezer was there in his prime.

It's coming back to me now. Souray came for Vlad Malakhov, right? Malakhov was awesome, probably the most naturally talented defenseman the team ever had, but he was so good he played at half throttle all the time.

Souray made the NHL All Star team all three years in Montreal that he played close to a full season. The one year he did manage to stay healthy all year he set a record for goals by a D man, I think. He was also one of the most feared fighters in the league, and steady enough in his own zone. He was pretty much the same size as Weber, and if you allow for the decrease in fighting since the 90s, pretty similar in style.

If you wanted to see a Hab on highlight reels for goals of the year, Souray was your guy.

Unfortunately it was often on the wrong end of plays like these (see #4 and #3)

As for making all-star teams... big deal.... they needed one player from each team at the all-star game, and yeah he scored a lot of goals, but his skating was crap and he was regularly turned into a pylon as a result.

This team was better when Souray left and Hamrlik took his place.

I used to say that Souray was a #5 defenceman who morphed into a #1 defenceman on the power play. I still think that's a fairly shrewd assessment...and it's part of what made it so hard for the Habs to come anywhere near his contract demands, which of course dumbass Edmonton was happy to satisfy.

Injuries were what kept Souray from being a perennial All Star. The only year he played a full season he scored more goals and points than Subban ever has in his career. Along with being a physical presence in his own zone, and he certainly wasn't worse defensively. But he had chronic wrist problems, probably from backing up his teammates with his fists. He wasn't a yapper then turtle like Subban.

Injuries were what kept Souray from being a perennial All Star. The only year he played a full season he scored more goals and points than Subban ever has in his career. Along with being a physical presence in his own zone, and he certainly wasn't worse defensively. But he had chronic wrist problems, probably from backing up his teammates with his fists. He wasn't a yapper then turtle like Subban.

Man I've been quiet because you say stuff that makes laugh, but you gotta stop comparing Souray to subban. Not in the same ballpark. Subban is a generational talent. Souray had a heck of a shot and I liked him, but it just aint even close.

Guest Stogey24

I heard the foxhole is nice and toasty. Hop on in big guy.

Souray 18 fights in 6 seasons as a Hab (average 3 per year)

Subban 12 fights in 6 seasons as a Hab (average 2 per year)

That extra 1 fight a year....... oh yes, Souray was so much more willing to fight.

Can you please stop talking out of your ass? Please? Is that possible?

I think the year Souray had most points he was also a -25 or something like that...

-29, aka Train wreck... I'm sure there are plenty of highlights of him getting turned into a pylon, just like the ones above. Its hard to be the defenceman victimized multiple times for the goals in the top 10 list, but Souray managed it.

Guest Stogey24

Souray 18 fights in 6 seasons as a Hab (average 3 per year)

Subban 12 fights in 6 seasons as a Hab (average 2 per year)

That extra 1 fight a year....... oh yes, Souray was so much more willing to fight.

Can you please stop talking out of your ass? Please? Is that possible?

-29, aka Train wreck... I'm sure there are plenty of highlights of him getting turned into a pylon, just like the ones above. Its hard to be the defenceman victimized multiple times for the goals in the top 10 list, but Souray managed it.

cement feet.

Don't waste your breath on this argument

I think it was a lot earlier in this thread I referenced to Weber being celebrated in Montreal the way Souray was and someone was upset I compared him to Souray. Now a guy trying to trash Subban every chance he gets and put over the trade thinks he's complimenting Weber by comparing him to Souray,

Funny how things work.

(for the record, Weber is miles better than Souray)

I think it was a lot earlier in this thread I referenced to Weber being celebrated in Montreal the way Souray was and someone was upset I compared him to Souray. Now a guy trying to trash Subban every chance he gets and put over the trade thinks he's complimenting Weber by comparing him to Souray,

Funny how things work.

(for the record, Weber is miles better than Souray)

Marc Dumont;

"When he is given time to shoot on the power play, odds are he'll produce a goal or a juicy rebound. It's quite telegraphed as well. As soon as you saw Roman Josi and Weber switch on the point, you knew there was a cannonball coming your very shortly. Unless the puck hits the goalie, it'll end up in the back of the net more often than not. It reminds me a lot of how Sheldon Souray was used by the Habs on the power play. Predictable? Yes. Easy to stop? Absolutely not."

Everyone agrees that Souray and Weber both had league-leading bombs from the point.

There seems to be another parallel, which is that Weber is not really a fully-rounded player; he is a crease-clearing behemoth with a gigantic shot, and that was Souray's role as well. It's just that Weber is elite as a crease-clearing SOB, while Souray was borderline terrible at it. Neither seems to be very distinguished at the transitional, puck-possession or playmaking game. If that's correct, it will be a big change in the Habs' game plan, which for the last few years has relied on quick (and widely feared) transitional play, led by PK Subban. Maybe Price's playmaking and Beaulieu's progression can help to compensate for the regression caused by Subban's replacement by an inferior overall player; it'll be interesting to see.