Where were you during the 1993 cup final game?

Aebischer4life

Where were you on the night of game 5 in 1993 vs LA?

When there was 2 minutes to go in the game how did you feel? Nervous? Excited? Shocked?

When the game ended and the commentator said "AND NOW THE BANNER WILL HANG FROM THE FAMOUS FORUM IN MONTREAL!!!!" what were your reactions?

What did you do that night? How did you celebrate?

I know my father was crying and me and my friends were going bezerk I couldnt believe it actually happened till the next morning when I woke up and realised WE DID IT!

I was in high school. I remember jumping up in the living room when the clock ran down and punched a hole in the ceiling. (with excitement)

The next day everyone was wearing theior Habs jersey to school. I miss those days.

I too was bouncing off the ceiling. Have the game on Tape and watch it when ever I feel like I want to remember what it was like to watch a team play with heart for one goal to win; under any circumstances that drive to the cup was one I will never forget; with one overtime win after another; and so many great moments.

GO HABS GO!

this game will always be special for.

My grand mother, a die hard habs fans in a familly of bruins, passed away that very morning. guess she knew something...

I remember watching the whole game with my dad and sisters, it was a pretty special day.

the next morning, we are the champion was the most asked song on radio.

whenever I hear it now, I think of Ritz who m,ust be POed by the way we play right now.

In a friend's apartment on St. Denis. There was a Laffs fan there & me and my brother taunted him so much he actually cried and went home before it ended. Then we were crying for joy.

Then we walked down to St. Cath & saw the 'mayhem' there - though a kid did offer stolen cd's around a bar later that night.

Have a vague recollection of trying to get into toe Blake's Tavern, but that might have been a different night, it might have been gone by then.

The follow-up question to this should be: do you remember anything about the following day?

I was at the house of a buddy of mine who revelled in rubbing my face in the Flames victory over the Habs in '89...

I made sure to point that out several times...

Cripes...has it been that long ago, or does it seem so because we have not had a great deal to cheer about since...

:hlogo:

Glued to the television set, at God know's what hour of the night.

How did I feel? Most of all relieved I think. We won the game 4-1 so it was never really close, and I never really got that nervous.

Also proud. In Sweden there was a whole lot of talk about Gretzky. Furthermore, the Kings had a lot of good players who were in their prime, like Lucky Luc and Tomas Sandström. They had up-and-coming defenders like Rob Blake, Darryl Sydor and Alexei Zhitnik. They had veterans like Dave Taylor and Jari Kurri. What we had though that perhaps they did not have was a superstar goaltender.

I still think that we had a more complete team and a great mix of players - we had players who filled every roll essential to win, and we had a good mix of young and old, experience and youthful optimism. Our top offensive forwards, like Muller and Damphousse perhaps weren't as productive as the Kings top line, but our third and fourth lines were definitely better than the Kings' ditos. We had a defense that didn't look their age; I think they played better than one can rightly expect from a bunch of guys that age.

And finally I think that we had a team in which the sum was greater than the individual parts, if you know what I mean. Of course Roy was great but we also had virtually unknown young players like Brunet, Ronan and DiPietro and guys who were coming into their own, like LeClair and Dionne, all of whom played at the top of their abilities.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

I too was IN THE FORUM. Standing room. My brother had been standing in line from 4 PM game day to ensure that we would secure a good spot (I had to work, so i couldn't do it). And I was, oh I dunno, 23 years old or so, so I didn't have to run home after ^_^ The cheering in that building in the third period was perhaps the loudest noise I've heard in my life outside of rock concerts...and when Roy hoisted the Cup and turned to us, well...what can you say?

In pure hockey terms, though, that game was a realy bore. It was basically over before it had started, so it amounted to a two-hour wait for the orgasmic climax.

However, the single most memorable hockey moment of my life wasn't that game. It was Game 2 of the same series. Yes, I was also IN THE FORUM (standing room) for the McSorley stick incident and the jaw-droppingly incredible Dejardins hat trick. Never in my life have I gone from such abject despair (with the series down 0-1, the Habs trailing 2-1 late in the third and generating absolutely nothing, heading back to LA) to such hysterical ecstasy in so short a time!!

For most of third, we were all slumped over the railing...the drunk French guy next to me periodically raised his head to call the ref A BIG DISGRACE...I remember at one point, unable to believe that we would lose. At one point, bleakly, I yelled out, 'WHERE'S THE [FORUM] GHOSTS????'

When Demers called for the stick measurement in the late minute and a half, I was yelling at him - YOU DUMBASS NOW WE'RE GONNA GET A PENALTY etc., etc.. But the stick was indeed illegal. Penalty for McSorley. Then Demers pulled Roy for the second extra man. (Balls of steel, that guy). Again, I'm yelling - YOU DUMBASS, NOW THEY'RE GONNA SCORE ON THE EMPTY NET!!! Shows what I know.

When Desjardins drilled the tying goal home with like, a minute left, we all went absolutely bananas. Guys were running down the aisles, beer was flying, I was jumping up and down hugging my buddy, hugging the drunk French guy, high fiving total strangers, we couldn't believe it. We knew the game was over, the Kings would NOT beat us in overtime, not that season, not with Roy, not after that tying goal and the devastating McSorley stick. As we settled into the happiest intermission I've ever enjoyed in my life, my friend elbowed me and said, 'There's your ghosts!' :lol:

Desjardins' game winner in OT was a foregone conclusion, and oif course we all went absolutely nuts, whooping long into the night.

I had a glow the equivalent of a really great buzz-on for the rest of the night. To be honest, I still get chills thinking about it - 15 years later :hlogo:

However, the single most memorable hockey moment of my life wasn't that game. It was Game 2 of the same series. Yes, I was also IN THE FORUM (standing room) for the McSorley stick incident and the jaw-droppingly incredible Dejardins hat trick. Never in my life have I gone from such abject despair (with the series down 0-1, the Habs trailing 2-1 late in the third and generating absolutely nothing, heading back to LA) to such hysterical ecstasy in so short a time!!
Yes, that is something that I too will never forget. If memory serves me right, the Kings won the first game like 3-1 or 4-1, and Gretzky was literally responsible for every single goal, even the Habs goal which Gretzky accidentally redirected into his own net. And then that miraculous comeback! Seems McSorley's stick always seems to get him in trouble. ;)

When Demers called for the stick measurement in the late minute and a half, I was yelling at him - YOU DUMBASS NOW WE'RE GONNA GET A PENALTY etc., etc.. But the stick was indeed illegal. Penalty for McSorley. Then Demers pulled Roy for the second extra man. (Balls of steel, that guy). Again, I'm yelling - YOU DUMBASS, NOW THEY'RE GONNA SCORE ON THE EMPTY NET!!! Shows what I know.
Shame on you, ye of little faith. ;)

I don't think they would have called for measuring the stick if they hadn't been sure it was illeagal. It might have been a move of desperation of course, but I don't think so.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

I was in Vermont on a family trip. We were staying with a friend of the family from when my Mom lived there for a year back in the day. The Kings and Canadiens were my two favorite teams, as my Dad liked the Habs and I was a 9 year-old caught up in Gretzky mania. I vaguely recall rooting for LA since they'd never won before, but certainly not being disappointed when the Habs won. I think somewhere I still have the picture of of Roy lifting the Cup that was in the next day's paper. I know it was on my wall for years, I'm guessing my Mom has it stored somewhere.

Hmmmm I was 3 years old in '93 heheh :D, but my dad told me he and his buddies were partying all night when the Habs won the cup. I can't wait when it'll be my turn to party all night :).

GO HABS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

At home in the living room. I was thinking at the time that eventually (after suffering from 1987 to 1992) the time comes again when the Mighty Habs prevail and win Lord Stanley's prize. It confirmed that eventually, we always win and it's a given...

...fast forward to 2007 and it's getting on now. When oh when will July be perfect once again?

I was watching the game in a bar on or near Ste Catherine St not far from the Forum with a buddy of mine. After the game, we marched on the Forum with a crowd of rioters. Suddenly, someone yelled "We're going in!!!", the crowd surged forward, and right through the big windows in front of the Forum. Nothing security could do about it, as they were overwhelmed. I did a quick tour of the stands, and snagged a ticket stub that someone had dropped. We eventually managed to sneak into the corridor right outside the Canadiens dressing room, amongst their friends and family, but getting by security guys when they were busy dealing with others and then acting as if we belonged. I remember Eric Desjardins walking by grinning ear to ear and soaked in champagne...looked as happy as I've ever seen anyone look in my life. Went to school the next day very tired and a bit hung over, but I was there bright and early because I wanted to taunt all the non Habs fans.

Edited by sbhatt

Well I was 6 and while i do remember watching the game at my grandparents my memory of that night is a bit foggy... i do remember waking up the next morning and watching Canada AM and seeing the riot and started jumping up and down in excitement again. Itll happen again soon I tell ya soon!

:hlogo:

GOOO HABS GOOO!!!!

at home, in hanmer, watching the televised game... nowhere else...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Celebrating my 20th birthday (June 9, 1993) with my Dad (who is responsible for me being a habs fan in Toronto..Thanks DAD!!) and my sister at his place. Sitting in my good luck chair for every one of the 10 OT games.

Unbelievable Playoff run that will probably never be topped again.

Because of the 93 Playoff Run I named my son Patrick Roy and I am in the midst of warping him into a habs fan living in Toronto as well. :)

That Desjardins tying goal might be the greatest moment I have ever had as a Habs fan. To go from total depression to on top of the world in seconds. A close second would be Claude Lemieux roofing it on Liut in game 7 in 86.

Edited by Wamsley01