Game Thread | Toronto vs. Canadiens | 02/26/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one point of view that hasn't been put up for debate. A simple one.

Forsberg, Tkachuk and Souray are/were considered SOLID UFA's. Some people want Bob to sell a pick and bring in an MVP UFA to make a run just like Waddell and Poile did.

Why do we have to mortgage our future and bring in the UFA certain fans want? We don't have to. We already have one.

His name is SHELDON SOURAY! He costs none of our future! ;)

There's one point of view that hasn't been put up for debate. A simple one.

Forsberg, Tkachuk and Souray are/were considered SOLID UFA's. Some people want Bob to sell a pick and bring in an MVP UFA to make a run just like Waddell and Poile did.

Why do we have to mortgage our future and bring in the UFA certain fans want? We don't have to. We already have one.

His name is SHELDON SOURAY! He costs none of our future! ;)

The only way you keep Souray is if you legitimately think you have a really good shot at the Cup.

If Bob doesn't think we do, he'll move him, simple as.

If there is any truth to the Brodeur quotes about Souray - and there is no reason to think there isn't - then it is pretty clear he will walk at the end of the season for nothing. Bob would rather get something back, and he'll get something really good for him.

Anyways...ha ha! Laffs blow!

The only way you keep Souray is if you legitimately think you have a really good shot at the Cup.

If Bob doesn't think we do, he'll move him, simple as.

If there is any truth to the Brodeur quotes about Souray - and there is no reason to think there isn't - then it is pretty clear he will walk at the end of the season for nothing. Bob would rather get something back, and he'll get something really good for him.

Anyways...ha ha! Laffs blow!

You nailed it. I wasn't saying we shouldn't move him necessarily. Bob knows what is best and will make a sound decision

I guess everyone can predict that Souray will not resign in the summer... I wish I could predict the future too...

No one knows of Souray's true intentions. People say he wants to be with his daughter, he says he likes Montreal and doesn't want to leave, etc. etc. etc. It is still possible that he can resign in Montreal.

Edited by fromage

I've had enough with all the bitching about the reffing, and there always against us...BLAH BLAH BLAH....and our goalie (insert name here) sucks let us down etc...

It still comes down to a TEAM game, 5 GUYS and a goalie..................

And the bottom line (tonight) is we WON, and moved up and TO is on the outside looking in.

Done with this thread; onto the next game!

Dude, what game were you watching? You cant say it was a team failure when Abby is missing easy shots from way out and nobody in between.

Kenadian how you can defend abby is beyond me. Further, that breakaway you were talking about was a missed net, not a save by Abby. The guy was terrible tonight letting in 3 extremely soft goals.

People here don't complain about every goalie. In fact, most defended Halak, as most of the goals he gave up were odd deflections or defensive breakdowns. Maybe ONE was of the weak variety as were almost all of the ones tonight.

I cannot imagine any situation in which abby starts tommorow and if I'm BG I might now start considering another goalie but only if you can move Abby with a pick to get him and nothing else. ANything more and let Halak be the man.

I dont get these Habs. They stand up and win against a top 5 NHL team (Nashville) then lose to a direct enemy (NYI) and then they give a killer blow to an even bigger enemy (Toronto).

This Habs team is so freaking unpredictable! They can from as high as beating any top team in the league; to getting hammered by the worst teams in the league. Its all or nothing. Talk about a range of possible performances.

If that's going the way this team will be, then just ride this crazy roller-coaster to the end, just to see how far it could go.

Goalies: if Abby played this bad, with the pressure he had; then just follow the standard procedure and come back with the other goalie the next game; which means Halak. This is where Halak becomes a real NHL regular because he has to out-perform a same-position NHL player; meaning Halak has to beat out Aebischer for the no 1 job. He didnt have to do that when he was called up; he just played right then and there, that was his AHL-reward. Now he has to earn an NHL reward: a starter job. All he has done in the AHL dont mean anything anymore. It's the here and now of the NHL.

This reminds me so much of 86, with Penney injured (like Huet), Soaetart not being just quite good enough (Aebischer) and Roy (Halak) being thrown in a huge hotspot very very early in his career... but comparisons stops there. Different rest to the cast.

Souray: listen to offers, push the envelope to see what's the limits of the market and then weight them against keeping Souray and losing him for nothing in the summer.

Kosty, kids, etc. After the deadline the Habs can have as many players as they want as long as they stay under the cap. So you'll see some of those kids back and lot of movement between Montreal and Hamilton.

Overall a good little stretch right now, just need to keep on the edge of it.

Got the house to myself tonight - just me & the dog!

So I can either cry in my pop, or be jumping for joy over the next couple of hours?

I'm hoping desperately for the latter option.....

:ghg:

One way or another I'm looking forward to the drama leading up to 3pm tomorrow!!!!!

Lots of questions that are about to be answered - will they be the solutions every manager expects them to be?

:hockey: :hlogo: :hockey:

POP?

First star Koivu? I'm sorry to tell you this but some players played way better then Koivu. But that's RDS, they looks at stats too much.

you must have missed the hits, the hustle, the drive, that dude had tonight and on top of it almost didn't play beacause he's sick. Watch the game before you post.....

Good solid team effort working out of a slump. Hopefully it gets better. Could you imagine Perez with Ryder's hands.....Damn I wish that guy could hit the net, but he sure can move. I say we keep Souray. We will need that slap sot in game 4 with 2 minutes left, and if people start trying to cover him it's only going to open up more room. SIGN HIM NOW. I like the reputation he is building for himself.That shit is priceless.Abby needs to go away....any takers? Ryder will find a way to thirty again. It's almost March." The Bear" Kovalev is coming out of hibernation. Begin? Man I am speechless. Bonk? Man I am speechless. Gui can hit....he needs to hit more......but really, Streit just realized a spot opened up for him and I think he's going to take it. Put Halak back in net if it's a team game he will be fine, I think he's better than Abby anyway. Pleks? he's working really hard which makes him look more talented then he is. Nothing wrong with that just keep doing it.

Bonk? Man I'm speechless. Let's not give up on Sammy. If he can find himself this year he could EXPLODE!!!!

POP?

Soda. Coke, Pepsi, etc.

Gotta say that after 40 minutes, I thought this was a walk, especially since the Habs normally play a pretty good third period. But then the Leafs made it 5-3, and I went out to check on the guy clearing out my driveway (about 5 minutes). When I came back, it was 5-4.

I really hate to be a pessimist about this, but was it really unexpected? Aebischer had a pretty low confidence level, about as low as his performance level. Then when Huet goes down, they call up Halak and he starts the next four games, going 3-1 while having his best game in the loss to the Isles. Then he gets thrown in against the Leafs (why throw the rookie to the lions, even if there wasn't back-to-back games), gets a 3-goal lead with 20 to play and almost coughs it up? I don't know how his confidence could get any lower, but it just did, and I think the team's confidence in him dropped as well, no matter how much they might deny it to the press.

Bottom line, I think you may have seen Aebischer's last start as a habs. I think if Halak plays even half decent over the next week or so, Carbonneau will give him every game he can, and hope Huet can get back with a week left to go before the playoffs.

you must have missed the hits, the hustle, the drive, that dude had tonight and on top of it almost didn't play beacause he's sick. Watch the game before you post.....

Good solid team effort working out of a slump. Hopefully it gets better. Could you imagine Perez with Ryder's hands.....Damn I wish that guy could hit the net, but he sure can move. I say we keep Souray. We will need that slap sot in game 4 with 2 minutes left, and if people start trying to cover him it's only going to open up more room. SIGN HIM NOW. I like the reputation he is building for himself.That shit is priceless.Abby needs to go away....any takers? Ryder will find a way to thirty again. It's almost March." The Bear" Kovalev is coming out of hibernation. Begin? Man I am speechless. Bonk? Man I am speechless. Gui can hit....he needs to hit more......but really, Streit just realized a spot opened up for him and I think he's going to take it. Put Halak back in net if it's a team game he will be fine, I think he's better than Abby anyway. Pleks? he's working really hard which makes him look more talented then he is. Nothing wrong with that just keep doing it.

Bonk? Man I'm speechless. Let's not give up on Sammy. If he can find himself this year he could EXPLODE!!!!

come on guys koivu was not supposed to play because of the flu/cold he sucked it up and lead this team with guts and determination like a good leader should, his buddy rivet got traded and he answered the bell. anybody who questions his heart after this should be shot. :clap:

!

Edited by habs rule

Agreed, that for a sick dude, Koivu show up huge tonite. Great heart and grit, laying the body tonite. Too bad to see, but Abby has seen his last moments in the Habs goal. At this point, would rather see Halak in there and somebody else. Every point is crucial, and can't have a weak, unconfident Abby in the nets. Not every game will they score 5 goals to help himout. Hopefully Souray is still a habs tomorrow and maybe he resigns in the summer.

That was the best game they have played in months. The Leafs live off being physical and Montreal really handed it to them. Lats smoked Coliacovo at least 3 times. Streit also was great in his own zone and his puck moving ability left the Leaf forwards with their pants around their ankles on more than one occasion.

It was nice to see them counter the Leafs forecheck and turn the tables potting 3PP goals. First time all year where they really outplayed Toronto. If not for 2 BRUTAL goals this game was a walk. But they still found a way to take a positive experience and turn it into a nail biter where you are cursing at the TV.

and of course...going into work and having to listen to..."Leafs would have won but the refs screwed us"..."Sundin was highsticked"...Montreal got lucky comments will be plenty.

Big win, on to NY. And on the Buffalo on Friday where I will be 10 rows from the ice :)

and Abby was his normal brutal self. He has let in 20-30 terrible goals this year! But in saying that I would still make that Theo trade over and over again. Let's hope Halak can hold the fort!

Complaints against Koivu tonight? :blink:

The guy was a machine out there. He hustled like crazy, he threw the body like I haven't seen in a long time, he had two points and he had the flu!

Absolutely deserved first star.

I thought he played very well. I just think Bonk played better.

I was at the game last night and the 4th goal was soft for sure, but 1 2 and 3 were not his fault and after he let in the 4th he did shut the door. It was his first game in a while and he did make some bug saves but also looked shaky at times and gave some terrible rebounds.

Koivu was great tonight all game long he was a little buzz saw out there.

Kovalev changed the game tonight the Habs were playing well and the Leafs scored on a nice rush up the ice on only thier secaond shot but the next shift Kovalev went out and dominated and got the puck to the front of the net.

Abbey has zero confidence right now, which is not good going down the stretch. He played okay in the 2nd period after that McCabe goal, but he wasn't ready for the third and he looked totally down on himself.

On the other hand, I think Halak looked decent, but there is no way I would rely on him down the stretch. If I am Gainey, I am picking up a rental to fill in for Huet down the stretch. Belfour or Curtis Joseph would fit the bill and are cheap.

Yes it was a solid 2 period effort again. Like Kozed said earlier, you never know which team will show up. The problem is they always back off asnd let the other team back into the game. I am not going to defend Aebi, he let in 2 shakey ones but the Leafs did dominate the final 2 periods. So anyone who thinks this was the turning point will be mistaken. I hope i'm wrong but there pattern will be to lay an egg in NY tonight.

Gainey really needs to move Souray, it will bite him if he doesn't.

POP?

Yeah - some diet ginger-ale!!!!! Diabetic so have to watch my sweets. And I had a heart transplant in 1999 which puts alcohol on the not so smart to drink list(especially given the meds I have to take!)

So I have to celebrate with a non alcoholic beverage of the carbonated variety......

And I was able to rub it in to my Leaf fan buddies today for a change, even if Aebischer almost let the Buds back into a game they shouldn't been in to start with?

:hlogo: :clap: :ghg: :clap: :hlogo:

Edited by beliveau1

come on guys koivu was not supposed to play because of the flu/cold he sucked it up and lead this team with guts and determination like a good leader should, his buddy rivet got traded and he answered the bell. anybody who questions his heart after this should be shot. :clap:

!

What does that change? This isn't who has the most heart stars, this is the stars of the match the players that play the best.