Game Thread | Lightning vs. Habs | 12/11/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What idiot would not use his top scorer in a shootout. Just think what message that sends to your top scorer...Coach has no confidence in me. Great for team unity Carbo you DUD.

That has me scratching my head as well, also I don't know why Carbo always elects to go last, he should go first with Kovy, try to put the pressure squarely on the other teams shoulders.

How dare you insult my fanhood.

I oughta slap you for such a comment.

When things are bad, i feel less inclined to watch, that doesn't mean i won't follow the happenings and still cheer on the team, i'll just watch less often.

You sir, can go to hell.

LOL! the Habs'll come back to winning ways... let's keep the faith :hlogo:

By the way i was on CJAD :D defending Coach Carbo

When things are bad, i feel less inclined to watch, that doesn't mean i won't follow the happenings and still cheer on the team, i'll just watch less often.

You sir, can go to hell.

sorry but people who don't watch games because the team is a losing one are fair weather fans. Simple as that.

sorry but people who don't watch games because the team is a losing one are fair weather fans. Simple as that.

If i start watching a game, i will watch until the bitter end, even if we're losing 10-0.

But if our team is doing badly and i have other things going on worthy of my time, i may find myself doing those other things. I am no less of a fan because of that. You won't drag me into a pissing contest regarding "who is a bigger habs fan". I know i'm a huge habs fan, and your comments can kiss my ass.

I will always follow the games and watch when I can, but before I was going home early on an overtime day to watch the game. I'm not losing $180 OT pay to take the evening off to watch these guys scramble around.

As to my being a faithful fan...I have been a fan of this team since I could speak, and that will not change. I paid big money to fly to Montreal from Northern Alberta to watch a couple very good games. I love this team. So piss off. I'm just bitter that they can't get it together.

I only agree to a certain extent. I personally try to watch any game that I can, and I stick to watching no matter what the score. However, some people can be pretty upset by watching their teams lose, and it makes sense for those people to avoid such aversive stimuli. For some people it's not healthy to continually experience unhealthy emotions. IMO, it doesn't make them lesser fans, I think it just indicates a lower tolerance to unpleasantness, and such tolerance certainly varies across populations. I don't think we're required to watch every second of every game just to be considered a true fan. Different strokes for different folks... I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a timeout to heal one's hockey emotions.

Now, if someone started watching the Leafs because suddenly they're winning.. well... that is a fair weather fan.

I don't think we're required to watch every second of every game just to be considered a true fan.

Of course not. There are more important things in life than Habs hockey (although the list isnt very long).

But theres a reason the term "diehard" fan is often used, and if you don't stick through the tough times then i don't think its as rewarding when they win.

For example, i know someone who became a Pats fan in their first championship season. Obviously he hasnt experienced any tough times. If the pats start next year 0-4 and he says im not watching anymore because they can't win, then what kind of fan is that?

Not sure why everyone has to get in a fit. I feel that fans who dont watch because their team is a bad team aren't true fans.

(I'd hate to have been around these boards in 2000-2001 :wacko:

Of course not. There are more important things in life than Habs hockey (although the list isnt very long).

But theres a reason the term "diehard" fan is often used, and if you don't stick through the tough times then i don't think its as rewarding when they win.

For example, i know someone who became a Pats fan in their first championship season. Obviously he hasnt experienced any tough times. If the pats start next year 0-4 and he says im not watching anymore because they can't win, then what kind of fan is that?

Not sure why everyone has to get in a fit. I feel that fans who dont watch because their team is a bad team aren't true fans.

well said and i agree totally :ghg: :ghg:

How about being such a diehard fan that it makes you sick to your stomach that the only team you love and dedicate so much time and money to watching is playing as if they don't give a crap and you can't bare to continue watching as it's giving you ulsers?

I'm sure that;s how many habs fans who turn off the TV feel like

Well.. tonight's game was alright I guess... its always nice to get Habs on a TSN broadcast anyhow. :P

These losses are starting to piss me off though.

You sir, can go to hell.

All comments aside for a second.

Slap?

WTF is that?

Yikes :lol:

What idiot would not use his top scorer in a shootout. Just think what message that sends to your top scorer...Coach has no confidence in me. Great for team unity Carbo you DUD.

Ottawa ALWAYS place Spezza or Heatley 4th of the shootout...

Well, it's been said before, but where the hell was Kovy on the shootout? I was surprised to see Plex, but I was sure he was going to be the last shooter.

And Chris Higgins has officially inherited Ryder's knack for the shot directly into the logo.

:lol:

Talk about "Diehard", I am a bears fan and have been as long as I've been a Habs fan, almost. Got into football the season after i found hockey.

I can't watch the Bears play as they haven't won I game I have seen in something like 5 years.

Honestly, I "listened to the Superbowl last year until I thought we had a comfortable 10pt lead. Watched the rest to my dismay. I will never live that down. That's worse than blocking the goalie.

Does it make me less of a fan for not watching or am I really just bonkers. :lol:

I've been a Habs fan all my life and don't need lessons in fandom from anyone. I watched 'em through the final echoes of the glory years (the 1980s, early 90s) and watched them, in a state of disbelief and despair, as they disintegrated under Houle. But I don't think it's ever been this tough to take. The difference between the Houle era and now is hope, compounded by the sheer length of time that we've been absolute garbage. I believe in the management, I believe in the 'plan,' and yet season after season under Gainey has been the same song and dance: execrable mediocrity, long strecthes of utterly listeless play, players that you just want to throttle, young 'guns' who look decent but never seem to step up and sieze the nettle. It's been TEN G*DDAMNED YEARS that this team has sucked. It's getting so that I feel like a Leafs' fan...pointlessly cheering for an endless parade of shameful losers. I guess I'm just losing the stomach for getting kicked in the nuts by the team I love. And THAT'S why I sometimes don't watch.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I've been a Habs fan all my life and don't need lessons in fandom from anyone. I watched 'em through the final echoes of the glory years (the 1980s, early 90s) and watched them, in a state of disbelief and despair, as they disintegrated under Houle. But I don't think it's ever been this tough to take. The difference between the Houle era and now is hope, compounded by the sheer length of time that we've been absolute garbage. I believe in the management, I believe in the 'plan,' and yet season after season under Gainey has been the same song and dance: execrable mediocrity, long strecthes of utterly listeless play, players that you just want to throttle, young 'guns' who look decent but never seem to step up and sieze the nettle. It's been TEN G*DDAMNED YEARS that this team has sucked. It's getting so that I feel like a Leafs' fan...pointlessly cheering for an endless parade of shameful losers. I guess I'm just losing the stomach for getting kicked in the nuts by the team I love. And THAT'S why I sometimes don't watch.

Yeah well picture if from a point of view that is shared by many on these boards. I was 5 years old when the Habs won the cup in 1993. I vaguely remember the cup run, but you can't appreciate it at that age. Ive basically never seen us qualify above 6th. Consider yourself lucky that you got to be around for 86 and 93, let alone the fact that you got to to witness the team coast into the playoffs rather than fight for survival at the end of march every season (and those have been the good years).

If i can keep coming back for more with precious few successes, then why can't you guys?

Not sure why everyone is getting so defensive either. If your philosophy on the Habs is that you don't watch them when theyre losing because it hurts too much, then all the power to you.

Yeah well picture if from a point of view that is shared by many on these boards. I was 5 years old when the Habs won the cup in 1993. I vaguely remember the cup run, but you can't appreciate it at that age. Ive basically never seen us qualify above 6th. Consider yourself lucky that you got to be around for 86 and 93, let alone the fact that you got to to witness the team coast into the playoffs rather than fight for survival at the end of march every season (and those have been the good years).

If i can keep coming back for more with precious few successes, then why can't you guys?

Not sure why everyone is getting so defensive either. If your philosophy on the Habs is that you don't watch them when theyre losing because it hurts too much, then all the power to you.

Who the hell are you to question somebody's commitment to their passion? That is why people are defensive.

I have been watching this team since I was 6 years old. I have watched great times, I have watched low times. I have got in fist fights over this team, I have spent thousands on habs road trips, tickets, the centre ice package, clothing for my son. I have invested thousands of hours watching and reading about this team. In 93 I watched every game from the same seat with my dad because we did not want to screw up the luck. I named my child Patrick Roy after my childhood idol.

You are 19 and you are questioning the lifelong commitment that individuals have for their hockey team? Give me a break.

Watching and supporting through thick and thin is what has made the Maple Leafs the organization they are today. They have no commitment to winning because the Zombie "Leaf Nation" does not care about results.

Maybe if you were old enough to remember the glory times of this franchise and enjoyed the great teams they used to ice yearly you would be outraged over the performance of this team. But because you can deal with shit times better than others you feel like trumpeting your superiority as a fan. Hillarious.

I will not be jumping on or off a bandwagon with fans that throw First Round Playoff parades, that is for sure.

I'm 33yrs old...been watching the Habs since I was four (dad got me hooked early). So I was old enough to appreciate 1986...feel the pain of being so close in 1989...and then really enjoyed 1993 with beers/rioting on Ste. Catherine St.

I honestly can't remember the last time I wanted to see a player out of Montreal as much as I want to see Saku Koivu gone right now. I don't think I hated Brisebois as much during his first go-round, probably because I never saw him as being anywhere near as good as Habs management did at the time...so I didn't have very high expectations of him. I cringed when they traded Chelios, and damn near cried when St. Patrick went west....but I will likely dance a little jig if/when Koivu is cut loose. His indifferent play is making me ill night after night after night...I've gone from being disappointed with his play to all-out hating the S.O.B.

As mediocre as this bunch is, I'll keep watching.....as painful as it is to do so sometimes.....because experiencing the lows are what allow you to appreciate and revel in the highs.

Who the hell are you to question somebody's commitment to their passion? That is why people are defensive.

I have been watching this team since I was 6 years old. I have watched great times, I have watched low times. I have got in fist fights over this team, I have spent thousands on habs road trips, tickets, the centre ice package, clothing for my son. I have invested thousands of hours watching and reading about this team. In 93 I watched every game from the same seat with my dad because we did not want to screw up the luck. I named my child Patrick Roy after my childhood idol.

You are 19 and you are questioning the lifelong commitment that individuals have for their hockey team? Give me a break.

Watching and supporting through thick and thin is what has made the Maple Leafs the organization they are today. They have no commitment to winning because the Zombie "Leaf Nation" does not care about results.

Maybe if you were old enough to remember the glory times of this franchise and enjoyed the great teams they used to ice yearly you would be outraged over the performance of this team. But because you can deal with shit times better than others you feel like trumpeting your superiority as a fan. Hillarious.

I will not be jumping on or off a bandwagon with fans that throw First Round Playoff parades, that is for sure.

You don't admire the loyalty of 40 year old Leaf fans that have cheered on their team for their entire life but never seen a championship? The fact that there are Cubs fans out there who are senior citizens but have never seen their team reach the World Series impresses the hell out of me. That takes commitment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwagon_fan

"A fair-weather fan is one who will only watch their team when they are winning"

I commented on someone who said they werent going to watch the Habs anymore because the team isnt winning. Ill continue to call that fairweather, and I don't find that unreasonable.

You don't need to tell me how long you've been a fan for, whoop dee doo, if your only going to watch (which is what caught my ire in the first place) then you're fairweather. Because right now the weather is certainly not bright and sunny.

As mediocre as this bunch is, I'll keep watching.....as painful as it is to do so sometimes.....because experiencing the lows are what allow you to appreciate and revel in the highs.

This is exactly my point. Thank you.

You don't admire the loyalty of 40 year old Leaf fans that have cheered on their team for their entire life but never seen a championship? The fact that there are Cubs fans out there who are senior citizens but have never seen their team reach the World Series impresses the hell out of me. That takes commitment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwagon_fan

"A fair-weather fan is one who will only watch their team when they are winning"

I commented on someone who said they werent going to watch the Habs anymore because the team isnt winning. Ill continue to call that fairweather, and I don't find that unreasonable.

You don't need to tell me how long you've been a fan for, whoop dee doo, if your only going to watch (which is what caught my ire in the first place) then you're fairweather. Because right now the weather is certainly not bright and sunny.

This is exactly my point. Thank you.

Oh you quoted Wikipedia... you must be right.

Have you ever met a tried and true Leaf fan? I do not admire a bunch of damn fools who are at fault for their teams dismal performance of the last 40 years. Seeing as you were 2 when Harold Ballard died you probably would not understand the things that happened at the Cashbox on Carlton for most of his ownership. Or that the Toronto Teachers Pension Plan owns a majority stake in the Leafs right now and is more concerned with slapping a Logo on anything they can (Maple Leaf Square Condos) to make money for their pension, then they are putting a winning team on the ice. Why is this possible? Stupid fans who blindly follow a team when they are being taken advantage of.

So excuse others for deciding not to be a mindless idiot and sit through garbage just to appease the true 19 year old fans out there.

You keep telling yourself that you are a TRUE FAN, while others who have just as many posts on this board as you are not.