Game Thread | Habs vs. Flyers | 12/13/07

Spider-Man NL

Is it ok to hope for Smolinski and Brisebois to be hurt longer? jk

Damn right it's OK! ;)

My thoughts...

Good game by the boys tonight. i knew they'd win this one. i had a good feelinjg...and once again, they scored while I was taking a dump(i know, I know! that might be a little too much info!!! :D ) Anyways, i was impressed that our boys killed off a 5 on 3 PK for 2 minutes. Very well done. That was the turning point of the game!

S. Kostitsyn looked damn good out there! I say we keep him. I understand that it's only one game, but the kid was really solid out there. A definite improvement over Ryder, if you ask me! Just the fact that he was out there seemed to give his older brother a little boost to his game!

On the topic of the 2 penalties O'Byrne took...I don't know if you guys saw the replay on his first "penalty", but it was a bogus call by a bunch of incompetent refs. The refs had given 4 penalties in a row to the Flyers, and you just knew that they were only looking for an excuse to give a penalty to the habs. O'byrne did not deserve 2 minutes on the first penalty. His second penalty was deserved, but it's the first one that cost Price his shutout. besides that, i thought number 3 played an OK game. We have to be patient with this guy....he'll be a good top 4 d-man in the NHL!

Kovy was his usual self out there. Made a nice move in the third that almost got him a goal. Higgins was also excellent out there, nothing new there! Koivu was OK, but according to RDS, Saku had a really bad cold, so that might explain why he wasn't that great.

The boys made some mistkes out there tonight, but since they had a good lead, we'll forgive them those mistakes...but had this game been closer(ie: a 1 goal lead) it might have cost us the game!

Anyways, nice to see the habs get teh 2 points, now lets kick some Leaves ass on Saturday!

Edited by Habsfan

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they played a perfect road game.

it's really nice to watch andrei kostitsyn taking the next step. 4 pts in his last 4 games...

that sergei kid didn't look out of place AT ALL during the game. really the spark that higgins and koivu needed.

before he scored his 1st goal, I thought Streit was shaky. I guess his second one finally convinced me :clap:

Problem is Ryder's salary: $2,950,000

Gainey needs to find a team willing to eat up that much salary... or trade for a player with the same kind of salary... I wouldn't mind adding another D-man...

I wouldn't either IF

a - that D man is better than Bouillon / Streit, and

b - that D man isn't smallish, and

c - whoever's spot he takes doesn't end up as a forward

If they just bring in another small guy who's a fringe #6, I'll go nuts.

Also, if they get rid of Bouillon (waivers and re-entry if they have to, no one's gonna pick him up with that contract, or just send him down) it would be okay.

Dandy's looking pretty good on forward and I like the energy he brings to the bottom checking type lines.

I wouldn't either IF

a - that D man is better than Bouillon / Streit, and

b - that D man isn't smallish, and

c - whoever's spot he takes doesn't end up as a forward

If they just bring in another small guy who's a fringe #6, I'll go nuts.

Also, if they get rid of Bouillon (waivers and re-entry if they have to, no one's gonna pick him up with that contract, or just send him down) it would be okay.

Dandy's looking pretty good on forward and I like the energy he brings to the bottom checking type lines.

How about... Denis Gauthier? 6-3, 230 lbs, 2.1M$ in the minors... Think Philly wants to make that swap? Just throwing a name out there.

You know you won't be getting a top 4 d-man for Ryder. At best you'll get another Gorges-type of depth D... I wouldn't feel too confident going into the playoffs with young guys like O'Byrne and Gorges getting regular minutes so a veteran stay-at-home D would help.

How about... Denis Gauthier? 6-3, 230 lbs, 2.1M$ in the minors... Think Philly wants to make that swap? Just throwing a name out there.

You know you won't be getting a top 4 d-man for Ryder. At best you'll get another Gorges-type of depth D... I wouldn't feel too confident going into the playoffs with young guys like O'Byrne and Gorges getting regular minutes so a veteran stay-at-home D would help.

I'm not putting my downpayment on playoff tickets just yet :)

I'm not looking to deep into this game. I would have been really pissed if they lost. I mean they played a flat, and I mean flat Flyer team. The Flyers sucked tonight plus they had their back-up in net.

Sorry to say boys, but it's going to take a little more edge then that to beat the Leafs saturday. Don't get me wrong. Very happy about the 2 points, but the flyers poor play made us look better then I think we really were.

Anyways a win to build from.....

Great thread Spidey, I spend too much time slagging other teams off and not enough crediting you. Thank you.

That said, I have hated the Flyers since the mid-70's, and have never stopped for one second. The team, the fans, the players, the execs, the coaches, the bs tough-guy attitude (Schulz-Larry is the defining example), the crap logo, the changing of the shirts to look more Raiders, cheap shots, everything, everything, everything. I hate them so much, I remained neutral when Quebec played them in the playoffs - difficult, very difficult to do.

The first real fight I got into at school was against a Flyers fan; and the last school fight as well.

I think we missed the boat in terms of Briere; but, whatever his motivations ($$$$$$$$$), I hope we destroy that punk and knock him out en route to a 6-0 win - just because he plays for that excrement pile..

Go Habs! Watch the cheap shots and headhunters!

Agreed, I like the Flyers just as much as you do :puke: There are also the Recchi trades to add to my hatred. Gret result tonight though

Beautiful, what a thing to come home to!

Well done boys. Let's hope this keeps up v. Laffs. Maybe Kots jr's speed will toast them a couple of times.

In the third, I read they played Koivu with the Kots bros, with Higgins-Plex-Kovalev on the top line. Hmm...my post yesterday was:

Yesterday, 10:06 AM

Post #23

How about (without consideration of R / L shots):

1) Kovalev-Plex-Higgins [20 minutes +!]

Higgins plays like a thug power forward, crashing the net like a f**king Apache assault helicopter, non-stop, while Kovy and Plex wheel and deal.

2) A Kost-Koivu-S Kost

If Koivu's energy seems down, limited ice time should keep him fresh; and playing with two young bucks might rub off on him.

Ta da!

Go Habs!

I have to say I could live with the ups and downs of the team they iced tonight.

Is it ok to hope for Smolinski and Brisebois to be hurt longer? jk

Solid effort. Now lets break out the Leaf kryptonite on Saturday. No Huet please.

Well, i think it's okay since Lapierre and O'Byrne are IMHO better than Smolinski and Brisebois...

I'm not looking to deep into this game. I would have been really pissed if they lost. I mean they played a flat, and I mean flat Flyer team. The Flyers sucked tonight plus they had their back-up in net.

Sorry to say boys, but it's going to take a little more edge then that to beat the Leafs saturday. Don't get me wrong. Very happy about the 2 points, but the flyers poor play made us look better then I think we really were.

Maybe it wasn't Philly's best game, but it was a REAL good game from our Habs in term of offensive AND defensive pressure. We were fast, our passes were pretty much accurate and we finally get some goals on "lucky" bounds (Higgins goal was a bit lucky since Markov wasn't trying a pass there, look at the replay, Markov isn't happy but seems to think : YES SIR, but DAMN, it was MY goal).

Habs outplayed the Flyers tonight and deserved the win. Now let's outplay the Leafs.

I'm not putting my downpayment on playoff tickets just yet :)

You even doubt it?

Come on... this team is going to peak near playoff time, mostly because of all the youth on this club. Higgins, Plex, A. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Chipchura, Komisarek, Gorges, Price, Lapierre, O'Byrne, S. Kostitsyn can do nothing but improve as the season goes on.

I believe we're one of the league's best kept secret. Markov and Komi are only starting to get attention league-wide. Higgins and Plex are still flying under most's radar. Higgins is on pace for 33 goals and that's even if he went through a bit of a slump. Plekanec is on pace for 60+ points and he's only starting to find his pace.

What's it gonna be when Andrei Kostitsyn gets hot and starts producing at around a point per game (he's at .42 now, should end the season around 0.70, so there's a hot streak in him)?

What's it gonna be when Latendresse gets use to his lower weight and becomes a pest in the slot banging in rebounds on a consistant basis or shooting rockets like Ryder used to?

What's it gonna be when Chipchura reaches the point of his already steap learning curve where he starts shutting down some of the best C's in our Conference while providing some smart playmaking?

What's it gonna be when Lapierre gets just enough experience to play like a young Kris Draper and chipping in offensively now and then?

What's it gonna be when Price knows every team and the league in general enough to be steal games all on his own?

And I'm not even talking about the wildcards: S. Kostitsyn, O'Byrne, D'Agostini, Carle, Valentenko; all prospects ahead of schedule who could be surprisingly ready to contribute comes April and May...

I'm maybe overly optimistic, but no need for every player to achieve the best-case-scenario... if everyone of them improves slightly, as a group it'll be a big improvement. Carbo and Gainey are not crazy. It's been the plan all along to build on youth acquired through the past drafts and surround them with proper veteran support. Giving an A to Higgins this year was a first shift toward that youth movement. Carbo and Gainey also knew (from the 86 experience where 8 rookies were in the lineup) that youth can learn a ton in the course of a season.

So I dont even have any doubts we'll be in the playoffs. This team, with all this youth improving month after month, will make the playoffs and could definitely surprise.

KoZed, your post is a delight after many weeks of increasing despair about the Habs on my part. I do think you're too optimistic - e.g., one injury to Kovalev and we're boned - but it's nice to read and to be reminded of the good things this team does have going for it ^_^

Some of the comments here on this game (which are of course making too much out of a single win) underscore a point that Jacques Demers made after the game: Montreal fans are fully prepared to be patient and forgiving with young players. But those players, he went on to say, have to be given a real chance, and real ice time. If the Habs do that, they will not get booed and jeered out of the Bell Centre even when losing. It's when the veterans suck ass night after night that people get pissed off. And not unreasonably. (For instance, if Brisebois had made that hilariously awful play O'Bryne made against Tampa Bay, people would STILL be ranting about it :lol: ).

Demers is on to something there. The veterans on this team (Koivu, Kovalev and Hamrlik excepted) mostly blow chunks anyhow. Let the kids run with it!!!

What's it gonna be when Andrei Kostitsyn gets hot and starts producing at around a point per game (he's at .42 now, should end the season around 0.70, so there's a hot streak in him)?

What's it gonna be when Latendresse gets use to his lower weight and becomes a pest in the slot banging in rebounds on a consistant basis or shooting rockets like Ryder used to?

What's it gonna be when Chipchura reaches the point of his already steap learning curve where he starts shutting down some of the best C's in our Conference while providing some smart playmaking?

here are the 3 points I wanted to reply on. 3 excellents points.

1. A. Kostitsyn : I really think he's gonna become a 65-75 points/season player. He got the size, the skills, he skates and passes. AND, with the addition of his young brother... watch out !

2. Tender : the day this guy will take a trip to Sweden during offseason and practice a whole summer with Thomas Holmstrom, I'll be the most pleased habs fan on Earth.

3. Chipchura : What more can I ask for if it's not a Lats - Chip - Dandenault Hit & Grind line ? Chips will be there and will play a really important role as long as Carbo and Gainey will run this team. He is the PERFECT fit in that system and will get better, and better.

Future is shining in the nets and on defense, the only thing we have to fix is the old top 6 offensive. Paccioretty will one day take Kovy's place, but what about Koivu ?

I also believe Lil kotz is going to do a lot for Big Kotz developing. Just that inner competition brothers have naturally. It seems Lil kotz might naturally be a little more talented but there is no way Big Kotz is going to sit around and let that happen. So...........

Great move brining him up. I hope he sticks and we find ourselves a new explosive line..............And good old Saks is the benefiting centre. Nice one Carbs and Gainey....!!!!!!!

Hey, did anyone watch the highlights on TSN.ca. ? I didn't see the little celebration at the end of the game. In the highlights Higgins and Price are mucking it up. They were rubbing each others helmets off and then Higgns gives Price a punch in the head. I tell you that team bonding sh1t just warms my heart.

Go HABS GO!!!!!

Yeah, if I were a Flyers fan then that would have been one of those games that causes hair to turn grey and be pulled out. They were turning it over left and right, and the defensive zone coverage was terrible.

I liked the game from the Plex line as usual, but I'm concerned as to how A. Kostitsyn would respond if that hit he took at the end of game came in the first. He seems like that sort of thing rattles him a bit. As for lil Kostitsyn, he was solid out there, and he actually took some shots that made it to the net! He's already contributing more than Ryder. I wonder if they'll put him in for Saturday.

Streit, with two goals, was pretty shaky otherwise. I get nervous when the puck comes back to the blueline.

Hey, did anyone watch the highlights on TSN.ca. ? I didn't see the little celebration at the end of the game. In the highlights Higgins and Price are mucking it up. They were rubbing each others helmets off and then Higgns gives Price a punch in the head. I tell you that team bonding sh1t just warms my heart.

Go HABS GO!!!!!

ya, thought that was real cool

Go HABS GO!!!!!

I saw that.

And in my eyes, that show of commoderie solidifies what I've been saying about the Canadiens. They are slowly starting to become a TEAM. Most of these players are from the same mettal. Smart, driven, goal oriented and willing to lay it all on the line. Higgins, Kovi, Pleks, both Kostitsyns, O'Byrne, Price, Chips, Tender are all under 25. We're talking that this team's nucleus is just starting to bond. I honnestly believe that these kids are maturing together and the with time they will become a force in this league. There will be growing pains, as we have experienced in the past couple of weeks, but that's when you need ur vets to take over and cover for them (hint, hint)

Whether we like to admit it or not ,this team will only go as far as these kids, (and Markov) will take them. Gainey ain't no fool. He knows this. He's seen it before, as a player and as a coach. Some kids might not work out, most will though. Add to this that our system is full of smart, educated and driven young men (Mc Donaugh, Pacioretty, Valetenko and hopefully Emelin) and not soft primadonnas (Esposito), and u'll understand that Gainey and Co. have a plan.

Once this nucleus starts gaining the confidence it needs in order to start churning out win after win, it will be much easier to rotate the core and bring in new talent. This is what Detroit has done for years, and this is what ottawa is trying to do now. In the Cap protected NHL, you might be better off having young home grown middle of the line, productive talent than a team built around one or two superstars. Superstars are achilles heels in today's NHL. They might get you one cup, but the team wont be able to sustain its production cause ur superstar(s) salary requirements limit the quality of the supporting cast you need in order to compete. Tampa Bay and Atlanta come to mind...

Let me ask you this, who would u rather go to war with; the world's most efficient brigade of paid merceneries? Or a bunch of buddies that you've grown with, bonded with, who believe in the same ideals as u and are ready to bleed for the good of the common cause?

I thought so....

You even doubt it?

Come on... this team is going to peak near playoff time, mostly because of all the youth on this club. Higgins, Plex, A. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Chipchura, Komisarek, Gorges, Price, Lapierre, O'Byrne, S. Kostitsyn can do nothing but improve as the season goes on.

I believe we're one of the league's best kept secret. Markov and Komi are only starting to get attention league-wide. Higgins and Plex are still flying under most's radar. Higgins is on pace for 33 goals and that's even if he went through a bit of a slump. Plekanec is on pace for 60+ points and he's only starting to find his pace.

What's it gonna be when Lapierre gets just enough experience to play like a young Kris Draper and chipping in offensively now and then?

What's it gonna be when Price knows every team and the league in general enough to be steal games all on his own?

And I'm not even talking about the wildcards: S. Kostitsyn, O'Byrne, D'Agostini, Carle, Valentenko; all prospects ahead of schedule who could be surprisingly ready to contribute comes April and May...

I'm maybe overly optimistic, but no need for every player to achieve the best-case-scenario... if everyone of them improves slightly, as a group it'll be a big improvement. Carbo and Gainey are not crazy. It's been the plan all along to build on youth acquired through the past drafts and surround them with proper veteran support. Giving an A to Higgins this year was a first shift toward that youth movement. Carbo and Gainey also knew (from the 86 experience where 8 rookies were in the lineup) that youth can learn a ton in the course of a season.

So I dont even have any doubts we'll be in the playoffs. This team, with all this youth improving month after month, will make the playoffs and could definitely surprise.

Of course I doubt it.

You don't have to tell me about the plan. I have been fully endorsing it for the last year on this board. But this team has to show me on the ice for more than 1 game that this thing has been fasttracked. This is essentially the same lineup that people were losing it over 2 nights ago against Tampa.

I have no problem with them icing this team and missing the playoffs. I am tired of watching tired veterans who can't hack it anymore.

Maybe all the things you say will come true. But the opposite of all those things could as well. Youth is unpredictable.

This board has a tendency to get overexcited when the Habs play well and overly depressed when they do not.

I believe that they are not as bad as they have been playing. And I know the future is bright. But I will wait until they clinch a spot before I invest in the playoffs.

I also believe Lil kotz is going to do a lot for Big Kotz developing. Just that inner competition brothers have naturally. It seems Lil kotz might naturally be a little more talented but there is no way Big Kotz is going to sit around and let that happen. So...........

Great move brining him up. I hope he sticks and we find ourselves a new explosive line..............And good old Saks is the benefiting centre. Nice one Carbs and Gainey....!!!!!!!

If by talent you mean pure flashy skills, Andrei is the more talented one by far. He could be the most talented player in the organization after Kovalev and Markov. But Sergei seems to be a bit more physical (not that Andrei is soft) and a bit more driven and he's shown the ability to put up points at every level he's played at so far. Andrei, on the other hand, took a long time developing ot the North American game and has never really put up impressive point totals in NA. He's really starting to gain confidance (notice how he shoots more often and attempts to deke more instead of dumping the puck in) though and I expect the points to come. The few shifts he played with his brother were incredible, I just wonder what we do when Smolinski and Begin come back. I guess this is it for Ryder, he's gotta go and at this point in time I'd be happy with receiving a 1st round pick or maybe even a 2nd.