Game Thread | Habs vs. Islanders | 15/01/08

Cataclaw

Nice win by the boys. Even though huet was weak on the goal, he was solid for the rest of the game. The Plex line did an amazing job in the end of the 3rd to stop the Islanders from getting out of their own zone. Great forechecking by Kovy, PLex and A. Kosty.

Kovy didn't want to take a chance by getting his pass to Plex intercepted, so he decided to score himself...which was the right thing to do!

The Boys have picked up 4 points out of a possible 6. Good going...let's keep it up against Atlanta!

Edited by Habsfan

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, until you show me a better goalie, i do want him. That was not that bad a goal. It seems for some people that unless he is absolutely perfect, he is terrible and can't be trusted. No goalie is perfect.

Way to go Kovy.. sealed the deal.

The goal wasn't a weak goal, the play that lead to it was utterly useless and unnecessary.

It has nothing to do with perfect, which is good, because Huet has to find consistent before he can ever find perfect.

And No, consistently weak goals or bonehead decisions do not count towards him being consistent.

what was this big mental error? the fact that he cleared the puck all the way to the point (just like the D do about 100 times a game) and got back in time to be set for the shot. Or was it that fact that he let out a rebound to a guy who should have been tied up by Komi....

Seriously, I don't get what the problem is. It was unfortunate, but it was not like he took the puck and passed it up the middle for an empty net goal...

Fact is, when you have made a habit of mental lapses and choking, even small errors, even stuff not your fault, becomes magnified - especially to fans who are already on his back / have doubts (like me).

Koivu was invisible.

Koivu had a few chances in the first, and set lats up for one that he should have burried, but instead shot wide, thats like 4 open nets lats has missed in the past few games. Koivu cant go over and hold Gui's stick for him too.

Fact is, when you have made a habit of mental lapses and choking, even small errors, even stuff not your fault, becomes magnified - especially to fans who are already on his back / have doubts (like me).

At least you are honest. :)

I don't think he made any mistake playing the puck.. routine play.

Last time I saw price do it (and he got picked off at the point too), there was nary a peep on these boards.

Now, don't get me wrong, playing the puck is not Huet's strength and he does make mistakes, but that was not one of them, imo.

I still think the main cause of that goal was the fact that Komi should have been tying up Park, not battling Huet for the rebound.

The defenceman played the pass to Pleks the entire time. We're not the only ones who remembered that he's already got two.

If you look at the play again, Kovalev used Pleks as a mule to flatfoot the defender. He made it look like he'd drop it to Plekanec, then went around him. The defenceman fell because he was playing the drop pass to Plekanec for the hat-trick.

Great analysis. How dare you doubt a decision in the offensive zone by AK-27, BChabnut?!

Excellent way to rebound after the horrible game @ Rangers

Game was a bit boring but I guess the Isles have no choice but to play defensively considering than frikkin Mike Comrie is their lead scorer.

...Plex intercepted, so he decided to score himself...which was the right thing to do!.....
Darned straight. As much as everyone including Pleks himself wants that trick, for Kovy to try to get it to him could prove disasterous. It's possible that the other team might pick it up and score the other way. Even worse, what if the Isles got a quick one from the ensuing faceoff at centre ice? No points for the Habs? It's responsible to go with the goal and not goof around. And, I will add that we all know how efficient Kovy's accuracy is. Notice how he got in close enough to not missing. He made sure! That's the way it works in hockey :) Thanks Kovy.

Apart from that I missed the 1st and 2nd working. I'll catch it on RDS express :)

T.O. leading the Canes 5 to 3. Can't believe I'm glad. Carolina loses and the leefs must not lose everything ala Stamko's - they just need to lose enough :P

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

It was a boring game much because of the ice.

Pucks were bouncing everywhere, making it impossible for line pass

or long pass.

It is such a disgrace to the fans, a good surface is what keeps a fast paced

breakaways and exciting hockey.

New-York is really the Calcutta of hockey. Including New-Jersey in there.

My three stars are

1 Plekanek, the only one who understtod that shooting the net was the only way to score.

2 Kovalev for every aspect of his game.

3 Huet for saving defense on the second period. Solid after the weak goal.

My three goats

1 Charles Wang. Buy yourself an arena or at least a good ice supervisor.

2 Josh Gorges, unstable, bad decision with the puck, been pushed like a dummy out there.

3 Sergei Kost for his blind passes and the stick thing at the end of the period.

Wow... on some other hockey forums that shall remain nameless *cough* some people are complaining that Kovalev was selfish.

Give me a friggin break. Imagine if he would have taken the chance and passed to Plex, who on the wrong side could have missed, and then the Islanders rebound with a last-second goal and tie it up, and we lose in OT... Kovalev was in a position to score with 95% certainty, Plex maybe 75%. Still, why take the chance?

Good job Kovalev, good job Plekanec, good job Habs!

:hlogo:

Wow... on some other hockey forums that shall remain nameless *cough* some people are complaining that Kovalev was selfish.

Yeah on TSN they were laughing about it being all like 'oh that selfish Kovalev lol.' It was a perfect play by him, the defender went for Pleks and Kovy skated around him for a tap in, instead of Pleks shooting from the blueline.

And a great game for Pleks, took shots at opportune times. I missed the end of the second and most of the third so I didn't see the Islanders' goal, but Huet was pretty strong from what I saw. He made some really good saves and did what he had to do.

Koivu and his line were decent in the first, they created some chances that could have easily gone in. Hopefully the captain's finally on the upswing.

Well boys! We are 8pts behind Ottawa. Gaining ground slowly but surely. We are tied with them for goals against at 127 and have 17 less goals for. When you break it down I think we might be just as strong as them except for those 17 goals. I blame Ryder for that. If he was not in a season slump he would probably have 17 goals by now and we might have a better record at home.

Anyways, keep pushing boys.....It's time to catch the SENS!!!!!!!!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

Yeah on TSN they were laughing about it being all like 'oh that selfish Kovalev lol.' It was a perfect play by him, the defender went for Pleks and Kovy skated around him for a tap in, instead of Pleks shooting from the blueline.

And a great game for Pleks, took shots at opportune times. I missed the end of the second and most of the third so I didn't see the Islanders' goal, but Huet was pretty strong from what I saw. He made some really good saves and did what he had to do.

Koivu and his line were decent in the first, they created some chances that could have easily gone in. Hopefully the captain's finally on the upswing.

If Pleks had been in the same position that AKostistyn was then I could understand them mentioning it. But PLeks stopped at the blueline.

He had no speed entering the zone and Kovalev had 2 guys to play off. The D-Man had no chance and Kovy buried the game.

Right play. Darren Duuuuuuhtishin doesn't know any better.

As far as the goal, it was a bad play by Huet. He was a circus back there all night. He gets absolutley zero power on his shots

and for him to think he was going to clear the zone with Guerin on the half boards was an error in judgement.

He scrambled back to his net, and unfortunately the D could not get him off the hook that time.

He did more than enough to make up for it throughout the night. But comparing Price and Huet in that department is apples and oranges.

Price can backhand it harder than Huets forehand.

BTW. Price got rocked again. 7-2 loss.

I didnt enjoy the game tonight, was one of the most boring victories ive watched this season. Oh well, gotta love getting the win!

GO HABS GO

I read that and think just one thing.

PERFECT ROAD GAME.

Habs should not try to impress on the road just win,...... actually thats is all they should ever do.

Well boys! We are 8pts behind Ottawa. Gaining ground slowly but surely. We are tied with them for goals against at 127 and have 17 less goals for. When you break it down I think we might be just as strong as them except for those 17 goals. I blame Ryder for that. If he was not in a season slump he would probably have 17 goals by now and we might have a better record at home.

Anyways, keep pushing boys.....It's time to catch the SENS!!!!!!!!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!

Eh, you can keep dreaming but I'll be happy with a sixth seed. We won't catch the Sens, they're the 2nd best team in the league and we're about 10-14. I root for Ottawa to win every night because I'd rather them get the points, as a shoe in for the playoffs and the division title, than some other team that's competing for our spot.

As far as the goal, it was a bad play by Huet. He was a circus back there all night. He gets absolutley zero power on his shots

and for him to think he was going to clear the zone with Guerin on the half boards was an error in judgement.

He scrambled back to his net, and unfortunately the D could not get him off the hook that time.

He did more than enough to make up for it throughout the night. But comparing Price and Huet in that department is apples and oranges.

Price can backhand it harder than Huets forehand.

Yeah, Huet out of the net is something like this:

1/3 of the time he misses the puck

1/3 he makes a decent play

1/3 he makes a bad play

BTW. Price got rocked again. 7-2 loss.

I wonder what's going on with him. Oh well, better that he has trouble now than later on when we might need him. Hopefully he turns it around in the next few weeks.

Great analysis. How dare you doubt a decision in the offensive zone by AK-27, BChabnut?!

Haha...I agree. I was listening on the radio. I was just kidding. The way this line plays, you will hear no slag toward any of the three of them for a while.

Haha...I agree. I was listening on the radio. I was just kidding. The way this line plays, you will hear no slag toward any of the three of them for a while.

Seriously. I was wondering why they still have them as the second line in the depth chart, but as long as it's rolling might as well not touch anything.