I hope Bob Gainey is working to sign Huet

REV-G

Some people think that trading Huet is the right way to go right now so we don't lose him at the end of the year to FA. I think there is a much better way to go. Sign him as soon as you can to a two or three year deal. If we don't I think we will be very sorry. Out of the top 30 goalies in the league right now Huet's numbers on the NHL list rank him at #11. There are usually always backups available, or goalies who think they're number ones but don't have the numbers to prove it. But getting ahold of a top 10 or 11 goalie, especialy when everyone else knows you need one is not going to be easy, and if you do it will probably cost you a lot. I don't believe Carey Price is ready to step in and take on a full time #1 spot in the NHL for another year or two, so we need Huet during that time. I hope BG is working on a deal to sign Huet to a 2-3 year deal. Given what Huet's done the past 2 years I don't think he would be willing to sign a one year deal. He's going to feel like he's earned a little security and reward for what he's accomplished. For me, trading Huet is not an option, unless we get something back that's really worthwhile. If Bob signs Huet now, then in a year or two he can trade him at that point. We're in a position of strengh both for the now and also for the future with our goalies. Trading away our top asset today would be a big mistake. Sign him Bob, as soon as you can.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people think that trading Huet is the right way to go right now so we don't lose him at the end of the year to FA. I think there is a much better way to go. Sign him as soon as you can to a two or three year deal. If we don't I think we will be very sorry. Out of the top 30 goalies in the league right now Huet's numbers on the NHL list rank him at #11. There are usually always backups available, or goalies who think they're number ones but don't have the numbers to prove it. But getting ahold of a top 10 or 11 goalie, especialy when everyone else knows you need one is not going to be easy, and if you do it will probably cost you a lot. I don't believe Carey Price is ready to step in and take on a full time #1 spot in the NHL for another year or two, so we need Huet during that time. I hope BG is working on a deal to sign Huet to a 2-3 year deal. Given what Huet's done the past 2 years I don't think he would be willing to sign a one year deal. He's going to feel like he's earned a little security and reward for what he's accomplished. For me, trading Huet is not an option, unless we get something back that's really worthwhile. If Bob signs Huet now, then in a year or two he can trade him at that point. We're in a position of strengh both for the now and also for the future with our goalies. Trading away our top asset today would be a big mistake. Sign him Bob, as soon as you can.

yep

Well we're NOT going to trade Huet at this point, he's our number one guy and we're in a playoff spot. He'll at least finish the season here.

Ideally, we'd sign him to a 2 year deal, but I really doubt he'd go for that. He'd want a minimum of 3 years, and maybe he'd hold out for 4 and test the market if we don't want to give it to him. I don't want to give him 4 years, that's too much, and 3 is probably too much as well but it's more manageable. So I guess what I'd be going for is 3 years for 10-14 million. If we give him more than 4.5 per season we're overpaying him, he isn't really worth 4 million but that's the amount he'd command given the Bryzgalov contract. But knowing Bob Gainey I wouldn't be surprised if we give him 5-5.5 a year, he has a tendency to overpay. I wouldn't be surprised but I'd be pissed. But the main thing is I hope we sign him for three years or less, four is too many considering that Price will be breathing down his neck as soon as next season.

I am still of the opinion to let him earn his contract down the stretch and into the playoffs, that is where we will see what he can do.

Last night and the game before he was excellent and he is playing very well but in those close 1 goal games he does not seem to be able to win more than he loses.

I hope Bob waits till after we see how he does in April and hopefully further.

Ideally, we'd sign him to a 2 year deal, but I really doubt he'd go for that. He'd want a minimum of 3 years, and maybe he'd hold out for 4 and test the market if we don't want to give it to him. I don't want to give him 4 years, that's too much, and 3 is probably too much as well but it's more manageable. So I guess what I'd be going for is 3 years for 10-14 million. If we give him more than 4.5 per season we're overpaying him, he isn't really worth 4 million but that's the amount he'd command given the Bryzgalov contract. But knowing Bob Gainey I wouldn't be surprised if we give him 5-5.5 a year, he has a tendency to overpay. I wouldn't be surprised but I'd be pissed. But the main thing is I hope we sign him for three years or less, four is too many considering that Price will be breathing down his neck as soon as next season.

Exactly what I was thinking! Ideally we would sign Huet to a 2 year 8 million$ contract, but huet and his agent aren't idiots. They are gonna hold out for a 3 or 4 year contract at anywhere between 4 and 5 million$ per year!

I hope Bob Gainey is working to sign Huet

You know how Bob operates, NO contract re-negotiations during the season, which I find really stupid!

Edited by Habsfan

I haven't studied the market in terms of which teams need goalies and who will be available this summer as UFAs, but my impression is that there isn't a ton of places Huet can go and be the #1 guy.

Huet seems like he's happy here and I'm sure the Habs can guarantee him at least another season of play before one of the younger guys (Price or Halak) proves they can carry the load consistantly.

That said, I'm not sure Gainey will feel absolutely rushed to get Huet under contract - at least not until he deals with Streit and decides whether or not he'll try to re-sign Ryder. (I'd say more about Ryder, but that deserves a whole different thread... lol)

I haven't studied the market in terms of which teams need goalies and who will be available this summer as UFAs, but my impression is that there isn't a ton of places Huet can go and be the #1 guy.

Huet seems like he's happy here and I'm sure the Habs can guarantee him at least another season of play before one of the younger guys (Price or Halak) proves they can carry the load consistantly.

That said, I'm not sure Gainey will feel absolutely rushed to get Huet under contract - at least not until he deals with Streit and decides whether or not he'll try to re-sign Ryder. (I'd say more about Ryder, but that deserves a whole different thread... lol)

Hey, what's on your signature in the background. It looks like Saku, I see the C and #11 but the head looks like a skull. Kind of creepy. How long have you had it?

If it's been as long as the 1st line slump......maybe you change? ^_^

You know how Bob operates, NO contract re-negotiations during the season, which I find really stupid!

He did sign koivu just before th olympics 2 years ago.

I'm sure he is trying to make a deal with huet but he's not rushed. to think that he doesnt have any conversations with agents during the season is ludicrous !!

Mackaskill >>> Re: The Market

Huet is the only real, legit option out there under 35 for starting goalies this summer. While there aren't a ton of teams vying for a number one goalie, there are enough to create a mini-frenzy for his services if he chooses to go there. The main reason is that there are two teams with deep enough pockets to force a big money contract... namely Montreal and Colorado. After that, there are some teams that could be of interest... Washington might kick the tires if they think Ollie is done (but they might use Ollie as a fall back), Tampa needs to clarify their ownership situation to make a good offer, LA could be in the mix but who knows how Huet feels about going back there...

Supposedly Chicago is looking to dump Khabibulin's final year and move on in goal, so Huet could be an option for them. Edmonton wants to dump Roloson, but the idea behind that is Garon is the #1 for the forseeable future there and they'll likely try and re-sign him beyond 2009. But Roloson becomes a viable fallback option for other teams, including us. I think Khabibulin is a viable fallback option as well considering he's got only one year left on that big contract (ship 'em Dandy in return, don't have CH back and it's only a $1.1m pickup).

Of course, any fall back option is a downgrade from Huet. He's the best option in terms of results. It's the terms that'll dictate this negotiation.

Nyce layout of the market - good to know!

As for the sig - it needs a re-design. I was messing around on photoshop and came up with that, but my photoshop skills have improved since then.

Nyce layout of the market - good to know!

As for the sig - it needs a re-design. I was messing around on photoshop and came up with that, but my photoshop skills have improved since then.

So it's your fault! :)

Change it up and let's see what happens. I'll be looking forward to the unveiling in tomorrow afternoon's game thread.

Best regards

SAKS-AVENUE

^_^

I would like Huet for 3 years, I suspect it will cost us 4 years. However, what does it really cost to give him a 4 year contract? It is not like we need to pay Price too much over that period of time. If Price takes off, we either trade Huet or eat it. If Price doesn't, we have a great goalie locked up.

I suspect we will end up paying more then we like (I said the same for the Koivu signing), but with the cap going up every year, I would rather pay too much then end up with no goaltending.

People like to whine about Huet losing one goal games, but I view it as this team loses one goal games. Without Huet, we would have lost by more, imo.

I don't care how good your team is, if you don't have good to great goaltending in this parity league, you don't go far. If I have to overpay, I overpay for a goalie.

Huet has great stats for sure and has played some great games for us. But in my opinion, he's really not great in the crunch when it's all on the line. Like has been mentioned above, I know with a one goal lead, 2 minutes to go, and Huet in net...we're probably going to O/T. And if we go to shootout we're screwed he's one of the worst shootout goalies this year and has a career shootout save % of .515, that's just brutal.

That being said, I still think a 1 year extension with a moderate raise is in order, we still need Huet until Price and or Halak are ready for prime time. Huet's inability (so far) to play the amount of games required of an elite starter and his almost guaranteed 20 games of injury time would make me VERY leery of signing him for big bucks/long term. Unfortunately, if he gets to the off season as an RFA, some pinhead GM will likely offer him 6 or 7 mil based on him having a better save % than all but 5 goalies in the league. I think the Habs tying up much more than 4 mil for 1 season in him would be a big mistake however.

Fact of the matter is -- and Huet himself is a proof -- that good goaltenders are becoming easier to find. What is really hard to find is elite goalies -- franchise goalies -- who can give you 60+ quality starts season after season and bring it in the playoffs.

Group 1: Luongo, Brodeur, Giguere, Kiprusoff and Nabokov are probably the only 5 who fit the bill because they've been reliable for years now.

Group 2: Turco, Miller, Lundqvist, Vokoun, DiPietro, Huet are in the other group of 6 just a notch below. They can be elite but they've yet to show the same consistency or give as many quality starts or have playoffs success.

Group 3: A slight notch below that you've got the majority of NHL goalies: Khabibulin, Bryzgalov, Biron, Osgood, Thomas, Ward, Toskala, Gerber, Legace, Mason, Kolzig, Roloson, etc. They're all goalies good enough to be reliable starters and steal games once in a while.

Group 4: Young goalies and backups fit here. Guys like Garon, Backstrom, Leclaire, Fleury, Raycroft, etc. who are on the brink of being reliable starters but not quite there yet or just starting being there.

Mobility between group 2 to 4 is easy. A year or two ago Miller, Lundqvist and DiPietro would have been considered Group 4 guys. And Ward or Bryzgalov could easily make it to Group 2 within a year. The hard group to crack is Group 1.

My point?

Huet has been in the Group 2 since last year, but in a year where's he's a UFA he has yet to show any signs of breaking in the Group 1; he's often times flirting with Group 3.

Huet was Group 4 just 2 seasons ago. Given Melanson's track record in making the most out of the goalie's he's given to coach, I think the best option we'd have right now is to let Huet make a case of himself for the rest of the season and the playoffs. After that it'd be much easier to assess his value and decide what type of money and lenght to give him.

If we lose Huet to free-agency, I would be 100% confident in having Halak and Price share the net next season. Worse case scenario, we can find another unknown goalie for Melanson to turn into an All-Star...

That being said, I still think a 1 year extension with a moderate raise is in order ..... some pinhead GM will likely offer him 6 or 7 mil based on him having a better save % than all but 5 goalies in the league. I think the Habs tying up much more than 4 mil for 1 season in him would be a big mistake.

Huet is as good as gone if Bob insults him big time with a "moderate" raise, or a 1 year offer.

Bob will have to be the pinhead GM if Huet gets to see the UFA market. There is no doubt that some GM will offer him a high paying long term contract. The only way to get Huet is to:

A) sign him right now, before the trade deadline.

B) offer Huet a higher yearly salary for less years than what the other GMs are offering him.

If Bob isnt prepared to pay 5+ mil/yr over 2 yrs than he has to trade Huet at the deadline.

The only good thing is that Huet doesnt want to leave, so I doubt he will skip town just to get more money. It would have to be a significant difference to get him to leave. i.e. he'd accept a 6 mil/yr x2 yrs with Habs vs 4 mil/yr x 6 yrs somewhere else, even though its if for 1/2 the money. However if a team offers him Briere like contract he will be gone.

Bob seriously needs to start doing contract negotiations during the season. Bob doesnt have to have players signed, but the feeling out process has to be done during the season. The Habs have already lost out on several 1st rnd picks because of this silly policy. Bob needs to be uber careful to not let several players ever get to the UFA or RFA stage.

Huet is as good as gone if Bob insults him big time with a "moderate" raise, or a 1 year offer.

Bob will have to be the pinhead GM if Huet gets to see the UFA market. There is no doubt that some GM will offer him a high paying long term contract. The only way to get Huet is to:

A) sign him right now, before the trade deadline.

B) offer Huet a higher yearly salary for less years than what the other GMs are offering him.

If Bob isnt prepared to pay 5+ mil/yr over 2 yrs than he has to trade Huet at the deadline.

The only good thing is that Huet doesnt want to leave, so I doubt he will skip town just to get more money. It would have to be a significant difference to get him to leave. i.e. he'd accept a 6 mil/yr x2 yrs with Habs vs 4 mil/yr x 6 yrs somewhere else, even though its if for 1/2 the money. However if a team offers him Briere like contract he will be gone.

Bob seriously needs to start doing contract negotiations during the season. Bob doesnt have to have players signed, but the feeling out process has to be done during the season. The Habs have already lost out on several 1st rnd picks because of this silly policy. Bob needs to be uber careful to not let several players ever get to the UFA or RFA stage.

I think Bob is going to wait to see if Price can carry the load in the next 3 weeks. If he feels he is ready he will probably let Huet walk.

If he feels that Price is not ready he will try to sign Huet to an extension.

The Habs do have an advantage in that Huet is probably comfortable in a french enviroment. I am fully behind 2 years, but nothing more than that.

Two with a team option on the 3rd, or 2 with performance triggers for a 3rd I would be fine with as well.

3-4 years guaranteed is crazy as far as I am concerned.

Gainey is a careful man who likes solid, proven NHL depth at all positions. No position is more important than goal. And if Bob intended to move Huet, surely he would have instructed Carbonneau to give Halak more starts, no?

This tells me that Bob has every intention of re-signing Huet. Indeed, given his proven ability to unload problem contracts, I can easily see him paying Huet market value which means, of course, 'overpaying'. Four years might be insane in the membrane, but three years at $4 mil would be within the realm of justifiability - especially, again, given that Bob is a careful man and likely to envisage a platoon system for a year or two while Price eases his way in.

The cap issues seem feasible to me, considering that with the emergence of our young guns we may not even *need* to sign a big-name UFA if there even is one available. And remember that Kovy is up after next season.

Incidentally, didn't Bob say earlier this season that he had no policy of not offering contracts during the season - ?

I still don't understand why people can't see that we lose tight games because the team was playing on their heels for the last 20 minutes... when they play well, they win...

It has been rare that Huet has blown it, and Price has blown it more on much weaker shots. Price is not ready. Halak is not ready to be a number 1 either.

If we lose Huet, we will end up picking up one of those group 4 guys on a wing and a prayer... That will result in us taking huge steps back, imo. Look at Phoenix, they finally land a solid goaltender and they are suddenly a respectable team.

The habs are not good enough to have a crappy goaltender. If last year didn't prove that, I don't know what will.

The only way to justify that Huet should not be signed for 4 years (regardless of his performance in year 4, who cares), is to believe that Price will replace him within 2 years. I think that is a leap of faith. 14 to 16 million over 4 years is high, but it is cheap insurance. Hell, we paid millions to have Niinima sit in the pressbox.

Gainey is a careful man who likes solid, proven NHL depth at all positions. No position is more important than goal. And if Bob intended to move Huet, surely he would have instructed Carbonneau to give Halak more starts, no?

This tells me that Bob has every intention of re-signing Huet. Indeed, given his proven ability to unload problem contracts, I can easily see him paying Huet market value which means, of course, 'overpaying'. Four years might be insane in the membrane, but three years at $4 mil would be within the realm of justifiability - especially, again, given that Bob is a careful man and likely to envisage a platoon system for a year or two while Price eases his way in.

The cap issues seem feasible to me, considering that with the emergence of our young guns we may not even *need* to sign a big-name UFA if there even is one available. And remember that Kovy is up after next season.

Incidentally, didn't Bob say earlier this season that he had no policy of not offering contracts during the season - ?

If you sign Huet to 3-4 years you are essentially putting a For Sale sign on Halak. In which case you might as well shop him at the years deadline.

I would prefer to see who is better, Price or Huet over the next couple of years.

I would roll the dice, but Gainey is conservative, we cannot change that.

At some point Gainey has to gamble. Wether it be on trading your prospects to upgrade somewhere. As much as some people do not want to trade

Chipchura, McDonagh, Valentenko, Emelin etc. These guys cannot all make their future with the Canadiens, much like Halak and Price cannot both be the starter.

If he keeps Huet, he will have decided that Halak is gone. All the things he is doing say so. He does not seem to be concerned about Halak

being rusty in the NHL does he.

Like I said, I can live with Huet for 2 years. I don't really want to pay a 36 year old starter's cash in 3 years for a backup.

Some agree, some don't. It is a tough call and differing opinions is not a shock in any way.

FYI: Price just stopped 20 of 21 and 4 of 4 in the shootout to defeat the Moose 2-1. :clap:

Edited by Wamsley01

I still don't understand why people can't see that we lose tight games because the team was playing on their heels for the last 20 minutes... when they play well, they win...

It has been rare that Huet has blown it, and Price has blown it more on much weaker shots. Price is not ready. Halak is not ready to be a number 1 either.

This is a valid point. I'm not saying that Huet is blowing games, he's just not doing what the top elite goalies do...not allowing the next goal at all costs when the game is on the line. I'm not even suggesting that the goals are bad goals, but the Luongo's, Kipper's and in their day Roy, Brodeur & Hasek just didn't allow these goals often. The point I was trying to make was explained beautifully by KoZed...Huet is not nor has he ever been an elite first group goaltender. Yet his save % may convince him and some others that he is. Therefore he's going to expect Brodeur/Luongo/Kipper money and sadly he's just not worth it. Save percentage is a frustrating stat, because it doesn't tell the whole story. Save %, wins, games, played, durability, clutch performance, confidence, the teams confidence in the goalie are the whole package...save % is just a piece of the puzzle and too many people evaluate goalies on that one lonely stat. Not meaning to slag the guy at all, I really like him. Just calling it as I see it.

+10,000

Yeah! BOb is not about to close the door on Huet. Why would any GM? Unless of course he had a better goalie coming up. We potentially do in 2008 and Price is the guy who can deliver but...he's not quite there yet. Still, I'm not at all worried about him :)

Signing Huet for a reasonable home discount contract is especially good if BOb can move him next year for a pick, player or prospect. Huet and his contract might be moveable, if low. But that'll take under 5 for sure.

I think it makes more sense to sign him for 2 years but at low dollars. Let's hope BOb is genius for true. Given Price's development curb and considering cap. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign him for 1 year. How long is Huet going to like the idea of Price potentially sneaking in? That possible and potential omnipresent feeling of what might be lurking? He's already experienced feeling like he lost his job to Price when he was injured. Does he want this? An overpayment on a 1 year deal for Huet may entice him not to worry so much about a platoon situation or even losing the starting role.

Signing Huet is a pickle situation for Gainey anyway you add it up.

If you sign Huet to 3-4 years you are essentially putting a For Sale sign on Halak. In which case you might as well shop him at the years deadline.

I would prefer to see who is better, Price or Huet over the next couple of years.

I would roll the dice, but Gainey is conservative, we cannot change that.

At some point Gainey has to gamble. Wether it be on trading your prospects to upgrade somewhere. As much as some people do not want to trade

Chipchura, McDonagh, Valentenko, Emelin etc. These guys cannot all make their future with the Canadiens, much like Halak and Price cannot both be the starter.

If he keeps Huet, he will have decided that Halak is gone. All the things he is doing say so. He does not seem to be concerned about Halak

being rusty in the NHL does he.

Like I said, I can live with Huet for 2 years. I don't really want to pay a 36 year old starter's cash in 3 years for a backup.

Some agree, some don't. It is a tough call and differing opinions is not a shock in any way.

FYI: Price just stopped 20 of 21 and 4 of 4 in the shootout to defeat the Moose 2-1. :clap:

You make a good case. My own view inclines closer to where we both think Gainey is (i.e., keep Huet even if it means a worrisome contract). The thing is, our team might be ready to contend sooner than we thought - it could conceivably happen as soon as next season. I'd hate to end up in a scenario like the Wings or Sens have stupidly endured over the past few seasons, that of having a serious contender with question marks in goal. Price couldn't cut it as a starter this season; it strikes me as very chancy to anoint him the starter now, after he's put together some good AHL play. Halak has proven that he can play well for a 20-game stretch. Not exactly Jacques Plante there. Conversely, it seems safe to say that Huet can be a quality #1 for us for at least another two years. That buys Price all the time he'll likely need. If, by year three, we're stuck with an overpaid backup, well, worse things have happened than a team having two #1 goalies, especially given that Price will presumably still be a bargain at that stage. So I say, sign the man.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

You make a good case. My own view inclines closer to where we both think Gainey is (i.e., keep Huet even if it means a worrisome contract). The thing is, our team might be ready to contend sooner than we thought - it could conceivably happen as soon as next season. I'd hate to end up in a scenario like the Wings or Sens have stupidly endured over the past few seasons, that of having a serious contender with question marks in goal. Price couldn't cut it as a starter this season; it strikes me as very chancy to anoint him the starter now, after he's put together some good AHL play. Halak has proven that he can play well for a 20-game stretch. Not exactly Jacques Plante there. Conversely, it seems safe to say that Huet can be a quality #1 for us for at least another two years. That buys Price all the time he'll likely need. If, by year three, we're stuck with an overpaid backup, well, worse things have happened than a team having two #1 goalies, especially given that Price will presumably still be a bargain at that stage. So I say, sign the man.

Like I said, I am happy with 2 years @ 5-6M a year over 3-4 years @ 4M per year.

I am more concerned about length of term than $$.

As far as being contender's next season. Let's close out this season strong first ok :)