Game Thread | Habs vs. Lightning | 12/02/08

Cataclaw

Yeah, but Rammo was Aebischeresque. He was more lucky than good. i have seen him 4-5 times and I don't think that guy

is an NHL goalie.

I didn't say I would want him on the habs, but he got it done when it counted tonight.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say I would want him on the habs, but he got it done when it counted tonight.

Just saying he got a little lucky tonight. Flailing away like the mighty Abby at times,

taking a look behind him while sweeping around for the puck

Edited by Wamsley01

Hey you have to play hard in all 82 to make the playoffs in the new NHL. A major slump will just make us sweat

out the last 2 months.

Exactly, as per usual. Just when I thought I could finally watch them roll into the postseason...

Exactly, as per usual. Just when I thought I could finally watch them roll into the postseason...

I still hope that I can relax in April.

But they do have a tough schedule going forward. The Koivu line needs to step up

and so does one of Huet/Price.

Montreal was dead and buried the last 2 seasons and in 06 Huet played great

and last year when we looked like goners Halak went 10-6-1 down the stretch.

So I would not be surprised if Price steps up or one of the other 2.

If the goaltending continues like it has in the last week it will be dogfight for the Habs.

But as a Habs fan I understand that when you least expect it......Dryden, Penney, Roy, Huet all came out of left field,

and last year Halak almost saved their bacon. So instead of panicking like last year I will go into the archives

and expect the unexpected.

Edited by Wamsley01

I don't think Markov had a particularly bad game, on the final goal he made a nice play to get the puck and it sure looked like Lecavalier hooked him to get the turnover.

Overall this was a crappy game, we didn't deserve to win. Our faceoffs were terrible again, and our defensive zone coverage was weak. Our D-men had a poor showing, Komisarek has been less strong lately, Gorges made several cafouillages, and Brisebois was his usual useless self. Our offense wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible, our inability to win a faceoff definitely hurt there. I don't know how many times Higgins will have to have the puck poke-checked away from him on a breakaway for him to learn to not try to stick-handle past the defense, he just isn't that kind of player. Take a quick shot looking for a rebound, wait for someone to pass to, or dump it in the corners; he's been making this mistake all year. And Ryder needs to relearn that the net is 6 by 4 feet, no 10 by 8, maybe that will help him actually get a shot on goal. And I'm mystified as to why Smolinski is regularly in the lineup.

There were a few positives from this game though. Although Huet looked bad on each of the goals, he had a very strong game besides that and kept us close with big saves. And in the final minute we created some great chances to tie with those passes from big teets. O'Byrne had a decent first game back.

Overall it was a poor performance, and we better bounce back tomorrow if we don't want to fall into a real slump.

The thing is : I expect every man on this team to sometimes go on a slump of 2-3 games, everyone but Markov and Komi. But they both looked awful in the last 2-3 games. Not typical for this pair, one of the best of the league IMO.

With Hamrlik out, I was expecting to see Markov and Komi take a HUGE step up to compensate, but it's TOTALLY the opposite who happened in the last 2-3 games. Markov and Komi get burned ALL THE WAY by the Lecavalier, Alfie-Spezza-Heatley and even Sundin... Really not what I was expecting.

Seems that Hamrlik is way more important than i thought...

I did not blame Huet, I said that he is the starting goalie, to earn the contract you want to give him

he has to steal games. If he plays the way he did in the 2nd and 3rd in the first period that game was there to be stolen.

Games are not stolen when you outplay the other team. Was it his fault they lost? No

But he could have been the reason they won, but he wasn't.

If that is what Huet is going to bring, then Price can replace that.

Ouch, I think I have one left over, maybe I will pound it back tomorrow night.

You nailed it Wamsley01, Huet didn't steal us a game he could have. I thought he looked bad on all 3 goals (he saw most of the 2nd one no matter what TSN said). Did the team deserve to win, nope, but the right goalie would have easily stolen that game. Huet is looking very run down to me his last few starts...same old story from Mr. 42 games max unfortunately.

Hey guys, it could be worse. Slumps here and there. At least you didn't have to suffer almost a month without a regulation win. *Knock on wood* :wacko:

1. Slumps happen, like the man says.

2. Two little words: Roman Hamrlik. Maybe now this guy will start being fully appreciated. As great as the resurgence of Kovalev has been and the emergence of the young guns is, Hamrlik has done more than any single player to make us a good team. Take him out and we're right back in the crapper.

The thing is : I expect every man on this team to sometimes go on a slump of 2-3 games, everyone but Markov and Komi. But they both looked awful in the last 2-3 games. Not typical for this pair, one of the best of the league IMO.

With Hamrlik out, I was expecting to see Markov and Komi take a HUGE step up to compensate, but it's TOTALLY the opposite who happened in the last 2-3 games. Markov and Komi get burned ALL THE WAY by the Lecavalier, Alfie-Spezza-Heatley and even Sundin... Really not what I was expecting.

Seems that Hamrlik is way more important than i thought...

2. Two little words: Roman Hamrlik. Maybe now this guy will start being fully appreciated. As great as the resurgence of Kovalev has been and the emergence of the young guns is, Hamrlik has done more than any single player to make us a good team. Take him out and we're right back in the crapper.

And I ordered my Roman Hamrlik jersey in early October.

Only fans who truly follow the team know what this guy means to the team.

I am excited for him to come back and steady the troops.

I honestly thought Hamrlik was a large step up before he played a game when folks were moaning that Souray got away...and I've never looked back. Gotta love the Hamr, can't wait for his return. Slumps happen for sure, look at Detroit. Still, Habs fans are going to pucker every slump after last years meltdown...no, last year implosion, it's human nature and I respect it.

And I ordered my Roman Hamrlik jersey in early October.

Only fans who truly follow the team know what this guy means to the team.

I am excited for him to come back and steady the troops.

Yeah, it's amazing, isn't it? Here Bob goes out and gets us the bona fide #1A defenceman we've desperately needed for years and that fans have been crying out for. And yet he plays such an efficient, no-nonsense game and is so much less flashy than the infinitely inferior Souray, that people (including the media 'experts') seem barely to have noticed. If anything, they (c.f. Red Fisher) sneered at Gainey for overspending. Sheesh.

There's one reason that the Habs have spent so much less time running around in their own end, getting outshot and fumbling the transition from defence to offence this season, and it's Hamrlik.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Huet is your number 1 guy, he is the guy they need. Price is a rookie.

So this is on him, not Carey Price who by your words who is not ready to be an NHL starter. Huet needs to step up and steal a couple of games.

He is the guy that we are supposed to invest in for 4 years. If he is going to play at a level where we use "it wasn't his fault that we lost"

then the Habs will be scraping along at 8th. He needs to raise his level when it matters.

This is what the Huet detractors are talking about. He needs to steal some games when the Habs don't show up.

That is what I expect from Price in the future, but if Huet is not going to do it, then I don't worry about Price replacing him

because I am sure he can play well enough where it is not his fault.

Like I said before, Huet needs to bail them out. If he does it then you will not be fighting with guys on the board every night.

This team has now lost 3 of his last 4 starts in which he has a terrible save percentage, He is approaching his career high in

games played. Should we be worried?

You said it perfectly.

As for the game...I think both teams looked terrible. I am sick of watching the Habs play that poorly. It is not that they lost, it is that they looked as if they weren't even intertested in playing.

Kovalev was not his usual self because of a MASSIVE lip and if that line isn't going then forget it. We need a top line forward Bob.

centre position is really the team weakness for letting opponents shot

so often wide open tot he net.

On one shift i saw Lapierre go back to the bench when there was clearly 4

Tampa players driving the net against tthe two defensemen. Smolinski came out late

as usual and on that sequence there was 4 chances of scoring for Tampa.

Not the usual crap we hear from the two first centers but our depth centers are

not doing the job at all.

Chipchura anyone??

Other than that...

I saw Dandenault holding position instead of checking a defensemen with the puck control.

I saw Roy and 2 other grinders trying two fight Komo at the same time and only Sergei Kost

came to the rescue, shame on Lapierre and Latendresse.

Positive side i saw the good Higgins.

Gorges was still good.

Andrei Kost was really good makes me wonder that if he plays with his brother and

Higgins takes his shift on the Plek line. That would make two good lines if there was

a centre for them.

centre position is really the team weakness for letting opponents shot

so often wide open tot he net.

On one shift i saw Lapierre go back to the bench when there was clearly 4

Tampa players driving the net against tthe two defensemen. Smolinski came out late

as usual and on that sequence there was 4 chances of scoring for Tampa.

Not the usual crap we hear from the two first centers but our depth centers are

not doing the job at all.

Chipchura anyone??

Other than that...

I saw Dandenault holding position instead of checking a defensemen with the puck control.

I saw Roy and 2 other grinders trying two fight Komo at the same time and only Sergei Kost

came to the rescue, shame on Lapierre and Latendresse.

Positive side i saw the good Higgins.

Gorges was still good.

Andrei Kost was really good makes me wonder that if he plays with his brother and

Higgins takes his shift on the Plek line. That would make two good lines if there was

a centre for them.

If only there was that centre. I'd love to see them with Plex, very small but dazzling. But we can't pull Kovalev away from Plex, no way. Not yet, anyway.

Or maybe Carbo could try them with Koivu? Barring a trade, he might have to start thinking like this, if we are still a one-line team.

Lapierre, inexcusable. Latendresse seems a bit dopey, Lapierre more aware...apparently not.

Edited by tokyohabs

I think 2 words sum up that game, Total domination. The Lightning just crushed the lifeless habs. They played a good 5 minutes then they stopped skating. @0 shots on goal for a team fighting for the playoffs is redicolous. They couldn't even get out of the zone in the third.

The dear in headlights defense doesn't seem to work. Markov and Komi were really bad.

No offense to speak of, but the most frustrating part is no effort again. This has been going on about 5 or 6 games.

I agree with the other poster about slumps but you can control effort, effort should never go in a slump. I'll say it, maybe partying until 3am isn't the best idea when you have important games coming up.

So my big question is what happens from here? DO they fold up the tent as they would the last 10 years and make the early tee time reservations. I have said for years leadership is an issue, lets see if Komi, Higgins Koivu can do something.

Or does GC start calling out and benching players not bringing it. I'm for that.

Another thought, obviously they miss Hamrlik, is that the difference? We'll see.

They'll get blown out tonight, 5-1 Florida.

I agree with the other poster about slumps but you can control effort, effort should never go in a slump. I'll say it, maybe partying until 3am isn't the best idea when you have important games coming up.

Oh no no no, don't dare suggest that here - after all, they're just young guys with lots of money, and this kind of routine has absolutely no effect on professional athletes. Or perhaps you are a fundamentalist Christian?

Bizarre how badly outworked and outskated we were by one of the worst teams in the league, a team that has definitely mailed it in several times this year. No connection to anything, of course - maybe Carbo overworked them in the morning skate.

Triples all 'round!

I think 2 words sum up that game, Total domination. The Lightning just crushed the lifeless habs. They played a good 5 minutes then they stopped skating. @0 shots on goal for a team fighting for the playoffs is redicolous. They couldn't even get out of the zone in the third.

The dear in headlights defense doesn't seem to work. Markov and Komi were really bad.

No offense to speak of, but the most frustrating part is no effort again. This has been going on about 5 or 6 games.

So my big question is what happens from here? DO they fold up the tent as they would the last 10 years and make the early tee time reservations. I have said for years leadership is an issue, lets see if Komi, Higgins Koivu can do something.

Or does GC start calling out and benching players not bringing it. I'm for that.

Another thought, obviously they miss Hamrlik, is that the difference? We'll see.

They'll get blown out tonight, 5-1 Florida.

I don't buy the whole they were out late reason. It was not the reason they stunk out the joint against Toronto, it is not the reason they were flat against the Sens.

There are tons of athletes who party to much and it does not change their on ice performance. The 94 Rangers apparently were pretty big partiers and they had no

problem. Arguably the 2 greatest baseball players of all-time in Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle were legendary for their off field antics.

For this to be to blame it would have to have been going on for the last 10 years. If Koivu is such a great leader then why does this team have a reputation of

a team that mails in a majority of their games in the last 10 years? Choking down the stretch? Blowing games in the final minute of regulation?

If this team freefalls in the next 2 months than how can you not question the leadership? If it rebounds beginning tonight and goes on a strong playoff run

then all you Koivu apologists are Free to puff out your chests and say I told you so.