Habs vs. Devils | 01.03.08

Cataclaw

Fantastic win. This team continues to rise to the occasion when I am ready for a letdown.

I was hoping for a 3-3 record after the western swing but now I am hoping for more.

This team looks a lot calmer since the deadline passed, I don't know if it is knowing that these are the

guys they will be going to battle with, or if they are buoyed by the confidence that Gainey has shown in them.

Price, HUGE. His puckhandling raises every defencemans game a level. He had a couple of shakey moments

but I love his confidence and his playmaking ability. I thought he matched Brodeur outside the crease tonight.

He also made some big saves. Bo Gainey is being rewarded for having large ones so far.

Keep it coming boys!

Regarding Price's stick handling, I believe that now that Huet is gone, the team will be able to adjust to it and be available for a nice pass from Pricey. When they were swapping between Huet and Price, I noticed that a lot of times, the D weren't ready for his pass, and it caused a scoring chance. They were accustomed to going behind the net or to the corner to retrieve the puck from Huet.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pissed when Carey lost that puck for the Jersey goal, but he did have a great game.........

Plus I love the Big TlTS, Plex, LlL TlTS power play unit. It doesn't get to go out often but when I see 74 and 46 on the ice together I get chills. Komi was a monster too. See towards the end of the game in front of Carey. He was drilling that devil in the head as if it was his worst enemy in the world. Good stuff!

I was furious as well, but nobody on the ice but Gionta knew where it was. It was a bad break.

I love the fact that they have the seeds to put a rookie on the point of the PP with 5 to go in a tie game.

People have gotten on me for being unreasonable in what I consider a bad goal, but he has been solid in the last 3 games.

He has not allowed a softy and out of the 4 he has allowed one bounced in off the back of his head after it hit the glass

and the other Gionta pulled from under his blocker hand when nobody knew where it was.

That is what I expected from him and Huet. And it is what I will expect from Halak.

My God that looks good. I think having the fewest number of losses says something. We've been "in" a lot of our games this year.

I think its time we put the choking mentality aside and stop thinking about a slump or freefall.....that obviously isnt going to happen. While we might not finish first, we are playoff bound.

I would like to see the team go into the roadtrip with the attitude of a first place team as well. I personally will settle for nothing less than 5 of 8 points...

I've got to chime in here.

What Gainey & Carbo have instilled into this team is the fear of losing. That's the fear great Habs teams once had. That's also why we didnt have any slumps this season. Because the Habs staff put it in the player's mind that losing -- or playing like losers -- was unacceptable.

Habs got this far because they were scared of slumps or freefall. The attitude of a first place team is to be scared of losing AND being confident that they can avoid it.

This week-end was defining since both Bufallo and NJ were thorns in our sides.

2 straight vs. NJ.

First win this year.....Nope.....ROUT over Barfallo.

Now let's hit the west coast. HARD.

Regarding Price's stick handling, I believe that now that Huet is gone, the team will be able to adjust to it and be available for a nice pass from Pricey. When they were swapping between Huet and Price, I noticed that a lot of times, the D weren't ready for his pass, and it caused a scoring chance. They were accustomed to going behind the net or to the corner to retrieve the puck from Huet.

This is a really good point. What makes the situation even better is that Halak is a great puck-handler as well.

I love the fact that they have the seeds to put a rookie on the point of the PP with 5 to go in a tie game.

What impressed me was that the crowd had the confidence to do the Olé chant when we were short-handed with four minutes to play in a one-goal game.

This is a really good point. What makes the situation even better is that Halak is a great puck-handler as well.

What impressed me was that the crowd had the confidence to do the Olé chant when we were short-handed with four minutes to play in a one-goal game.

Well drunk people ARE usually confident! :P

Hey now, i said i was sorry :angry:

I was kidding Cataclaw you are awesome who cares if your GDT can not always be perfect.

The Ole song is not a victory song it is a song of support, like chanting D FENCE D FENCE or GO HABS GO

I was kidding Cataclaw you are awesome who cares if your GDT can not always be perfect.

The Ole song is not a victory song it is a song of support, like chanting D FENCE D FENCE or GO HABS GO

It's rarely sung when the going isn't good, unlike GO HABS GO. I see it more of a roll-with-it type thing, the crowd is loud and pumped up so it does the Olé song - it's an expression of confidence, like singing at European soccer games. The crowd does GO HABS GO even after the other team has just scored and we're down by two, they don't do Olé in those types of situations.

Edited by Neech

I don't care that we're in 1st place overall...

The great thing about last night's victory is that our team beat New Jersey for the second time in a row - once on their ice and once on ours...

So very neat! It may be a bump on the New Jersey's road with us but I've enjoyed the bump to the fullest... like being in the back of the school bus... a fine bounce! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

GO :hlogo: GO!

Well drunk people ARE usually confident! :P

Gainey said that his team was better after the Huet deal. Now, we know that he was serious when he said that. Huet's departure provides clarity for Price, Halak and the rest of the team. As for Grabovsky, don't tell me that he is not better than Smolinsky, Begin, Dandenault or Kostopoulos. We are an improved team.

I don't care that we're in 1st place overall...

The great thing about last night's victory is that our team beat New Jersey for the second time in a row - once on their ice and once on ours...

So very neat! It may be a bump on the New Jersey's road with us but I've enjoyed the bump to the fullest... like being in the back of the school bus... a fine bounce! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

GO :hlogo: GO!

so true. It bodes well for the playoffs that the boys are already erasing the specter of invincibility that has gathered around the devils.

I've got to chime in here.

What Gainey & Carbo have instilled into this team is the fear of losing. That's the fear great Habs teams once had. That's also why we didnt have any slumps this season. Because the Habs staff put it in the player's mind that losing -- or playing like losers -- was unacceptable.

Habs got this far because they were scared of slumps or freefall. The attitude of a first place team is to be scared of losing AND being confident that they can avoid it.

Yes, sure, I agree. But when I saw we, I mean us as fans or posters. They've likely had this mentality for sometime as players...hence the record. But for the longest time we've been talking about the inevitable slump. Even as recently as referring to the upcoming roadtrip.

I just figure maybe we adopt a winning attitude as fans now, and look forward to challenging for 1st.

I do love hearing that tune, particularly when we win. But I dont like hearing it in close games, on the whole.

I feel like the tune is probably misunderstood by most. It comes off to most just like the "Nah nah nah nah...hey hey...goodbye" song. In actuality, I think its probably just the crowd expressing that they are into the game and having a good time, more than expressing they think it is over.

However, I have had many non-habs fans express to me that they think habs fans are cocky and bold for singing it so early.

Either way, I feel like it is a jinx every time it is broken out too early. (Sounded great last night though :clap: )

Good Morning ladies!

I was out watching the game last night in a sports bar and the atmosphere in the place was awesome. This game was HUGE for our boys. When was the last time we won 2 games against the devils in ONE season? This is great for team confidence going into the west coast road trip! Not to mention that we are 1st in the east...who would have thought it possible??!!

AS far as the Olé song is concerned, i think we sing it to cheer our boys on. Whereas as the Na na na , goodbye song, is when the fans think the game is over!

Lapierre just bought about 30 secs out there

Brodeur pulled

That was a huge play by Lapierre. I thikn he killed off at least 45 seconds in the Devils zone with less than 2 minutes left in the game. Very impressive!