[Game Thread] Atlanta Thrashers @ MONTREAL CANADIENS

KoZed

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I new you guys had me worried for nothing, team has some growing to do, but I will take those three shooters over Koivu, Kovy and insert who ever you want, kost, laps etc here. We may finally have a team that I am comfortable with going to a shootout and I havent felt like that since it was instated.

I hope they play that way against the Isles and rip the goalie up.. with the chances they generate, they will eventually score more. If they light up the Isles, they will all relax...

But what if it's Biron...? :unsure:

I'd forgotten what winning felt like... I likes it!

The question with these guys is this. They do dominate the opposition for substantial chunks of games and yet generally can't get more than two goals per game; so are they're just snakebitten - in which case we'll be fine as long as nobody panics - or just not very good goal-scorers? Gionta's recent string of 20-goal seasons, Gomez's assists-only track record, they don't bode too well in this respect. Only Cammalleri really has the bona-fides.

Time will tell.

The question with these guys is this. They do dominate the opposition for substantial chunks of games and yet generally can't get more than two goals per game; so are they're just snakebitten - in which case we'll be fine as long as nobody panics - or just not very good goal-scorers? Gionta's recent string of 20-goal seasons, Gomez's assists-only track record, they don't bode too well in this respect. Only Cammalleri really has the bona-fides.

Time will tell.

I think your last line captures a lot of the answer. Time will tell, and for this team of strangers , I think there is more of a challenge than other years as far as having the time to gel together is concerned. I liked a whole lot of stuff tonight and am sure happy with the "W". :clap:

i did not get watch the whole game but in 13 mina left that i watched they dominated and really should have won this game hands down thank god for the w and a great game by jaro

So Halak has a great game and his reward will probably be... a seat on the bench. As we all know, this team does not reward *performance,* it prefers "promise" or "development." God help this kid if he ever has a bad game. He'll be nailed to the bench.

Gil hasn't been that bad.. yes he is slow and sometimes gets exposed, but he broke up a bunch of chances with his size and stick.. and no one mentions those.

Gil should not have to play this many minutes, but I think he will improve as the season goes on. People just have to stop freaking out if he gets beat wide once in a while. It looks bad, but it is no different that when our other D mess up and it goes in.

Mara has made far more mistakes tonight, imo.. they are just not so visible.. they are bad give aways, bad passes, etc.

I agree with you. He does some good plays, but look bad on others. The fans are still patient with him, which is a big surprise for me.

Many of his mistakes, IMO, are results of lack of communication between him or his partner at the blue line. I hope that the pair will get better as the season will progress.

Anyhow, if Markov and O'Byrne were in the line-up, he would not play a lot more than 15 minutes, mostly against the third and fourth line. That's a big difference. Losing two players like them in the first games was a big blow to the team, no matter what we can say about it.

Oh how 1 game changes everything. In each of the 4 1 goal losses they played exactly the same. Plenty of scoring chances, no goals, solid defense for the most part, give up 1 good opportunity then bang, goal against.

The top line is really good, as others say they seem top be snake bit. How many good scoring chances do they miss a game. It will be a matter of time until they start potting more goals.

The 2nd and 3rd line are really bad, not defenseively so much, they just can't create any ofense, when laraque, Moen line is your second best, you have some issues.

Solid defense again, still too many turnovers, the PK looked good. The PP is poor, mostly because the defense can't hit the hit or get shots blocked.

I'm not getting into the Price Halak thing, most of the posters are blinded by the light one way or the other. As i said last year, goaltending is the least of this teams problems. Every night the give the team a chance to win, which is all you can ask for.

Chichura looked like a NHl player last night at times.

So I was at the game last night and I got to see some things that we don't normally get to see on TV.

AK46 was floating around all night. He doesn't look like he gives a rats ass what happens...Somebody has to light a fire under his ass...wake him up...do SOMETHING!!!

Spacek is looking more and more like a lousy acquisition by Bob Gainey. He coughed up the puck at least twice and his passing is average at best. He couldn,t hold on to the puck on a few occassions which resulted in a few more turnovers.

Guillaume has a hard time understanding that he needs to stay in front of the net...not the side of the net, the FRONT of the net. Not impressed with Gui this season!

Halak played a great game. True he only faced 21 shots, but he did stop Kovalchuck on 2 breakaways (1st period and the shootout). Halak did what had to be done!

The first line was once again very impressive. They had loads of scoring chances, but were just unable to bury their opportunities. It's only a matter of time before they all start to click..and when they do, it'll be a flood of goals.

Gill was OK last night. Didn't make too many mistakes. I'd even dare say that he was solid!! Same thing with Mara and Gorges.

M-A Bergeron was definitely nervous in his first game back. He made mistakes, but he will surely help out with the PP.

Talking about the PP, I think the Habs haven't scored in their last 20 PP opportunities...I'd love to see a PP goal.

One more thing, the Habs have scored 7 goals in their last 5 games (three of which they only scored 1 goal) How can you expect to win when you score one goal?? I really hope our first line can starting working on all cylinders soon, cause if they can't gel together, it's gonna be a long and boring season!

Edited by Habsfan

Yea exactly. Spacek is solid in his own end, decent first pass. Great shot. He isn't a typical offensive defenseman. He needs to be set up for his big shot, this year like the rest of the habs he hasn't been able to score yet. He also isn't paired with Markov on the PP as he was suppose to be.

Speaking of defense, anyone noticed 3 games in a row not 40 shots allowed, not even 30 for that matter. it may look shakey at times, but it's significantly improved.

I suspect it's been a few years since you can say that.

Also, check out the lack of 2 on 1 and 3 on 2s we give up, yes we gave up a breakaway, but that was from an aggressive pinch, which should be applauded. Their main problem as I see it, is the getting hemmed into our own end and panicing with the puck e.g. trying to clear with a weak backhand instead of turning and firing off the forehand.

For a small guy Gionta can sure as hell skate...

I think Cammalleri is due for a pair next game.

Exciting game to watch but it could/should have been 5-1 had it not been for an outstanding goalie and some pucks hitting the irons.

two guys i was impressed with last night: D'Agostini and Chipchura. i would love to see D'ags get another shot on the 2nd line. he was strong on the puck all night and has the speed to keep up with Pleks and Kostitsyn.

Chipchura looked great on the PK, maybe there is a role on this team for him after all.

two guys i was impressed with last night: D'Agostini and Chipchura. i would love to see D'ags get another shot on the 2nd line. he was strong on the puck all night and has the speed to keep up with Pleks and Kostitsyn.

Chipchura looked great on the PK, maybe there is a role on this team for him after all.

I saw that Diago had a couple of good shifts last nite, but from what i have seen they are few and far between. If he is not scoring he is pretty much useless in my book, and the big problem is that he is terrible defensively and soft. I definitely don't wanna see him on the 2nd line, and also i think he is a terrible fit with Laps and Lats, thus i want him sent back to Hamilton or seated in the pressbox in favor of SK.

Chips, i still want to see more of, and maybe when Metro gets back, let's see him on the wing.