Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

That would be awesome, but perhaps a bit silly for this august franchise. What would REALLY be awesome is a return of the Expos themselves. Sadly, that no longer appears to be something we can hope for 😭 I was really hoping for that before I die, but…nope

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My attitude to the Nordiques is as follows:

LET THEM DIE! | LET THEM DIE! Kirk Star Trek VI 6 | evil5150 | Flickr

But the Expos broke my heart.

Me too ... the only good thing about the Roy trade was the frustration of watching the Diques fans seeing "their" team win the Cup in Colorado.

Just now, JoeLassister said:

On Twitter, Jean-Charles Lajoie (TVA Sports)  says that there would be an imminent announcement and Ducharme would be removed. 

TVASports website says Ducharm out and Richardson stepping in  

3 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I didn't watch tv today, but it appears that Guy Boucher would not be on air to talk about the coach change...

Maybe a  Boucher / St-Louis duo ??

that would make sense, Boucher, Richardson, St-Louis and the current goalie and video and goalie coaches

If the Hugh-Gort hires the next coach based on who coached their sons, the Habs will continue their history of mediocrity

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If the Hugh-Gort hires the next coach based on who coached their sons, the Habs will continue their history of mediocrity

Good Grief - BWell

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Finally a coach focused on development.

Hes the kind of guy who can see eye to eye with Caufield.

Agree 100%

he’s not my first choice - wasn’t even on the radar, but actually not a bad choice for the start of the rebuild. Even Petry will probably pay more attention to and be better utilized by a guy like St. Louis.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agree 100%

he’s not my first choice - wasn’t even on the radar, but actually not a bad choice for the start of the rebuild. Even Petry will probably pay more attention to and be better utilized by a guy like St. Louis.

That was a height joke

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That was a height joke

I think Marty will still be looking up to Caufield😁

My hope when I heard it was St-Louis, and Aaron Ward (regular guest on Melnick in the Afternoon) had the same thought on TSN690, was that long-term he was coming onboard for a management role and G&H were using this as an opportunity to have him learn about the team/players/dynamic/chemistry/etc. to inform their off-season moves ... MAYBE we will find out tomorrow.

Don't mind the idea of Boucher working with St-Louis ... be it as a AC or a consultant.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

My hope when I heard it was St-Louis, and Aaron Ward (regular guest on Melnick in the Afternoon) had the same thought on TSN690, was that long-term he was coming onboard for a management role and G&H were using this as an opportunity to have him learn about the team/players/dynamic/chemistry/etc. to inform their off-season moves ... MAYBE we will find out tomorrow.

Don't mind the idea of Boucher working with St-Louis ... be it as a AC or a consultant.

I sure hope this thought/hope is correct, because otherwise…this ->

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't understand how Jeff Gorton isn't getting the benefit of the doubt on his first big move, knowing what he's done in two other organizations. 

Do we really think the qualification for the coach is who coached his kids. 

Gorton was the GM of the Rangers when they acquired St. Louis from Tampa as the veteran leader.  Do we think he doesn't know St. Louis' personality and how he will work with young players?  Does his coaching in Columbus as an assistant not matter?  Do we really think they are judging this hall of fame player solely on coaching peewees.  Come on guys, you are both smarter than this chicken little routine.

On top of that, he's an interim.

Well, what did he do in Columbus, anyway? “Special Teams Consultant” sounds more like a guy one step removed from actual coaching. I mean, if he was a bona-fide assistant coach who happened to have a weird title for some reason, then I’d revise my skepticism. (I honestly don’t know).

Be that as it may, I discount all this stuff about “St Louis’s personality” and his mentorship of young players while he was still playing himself. Being a great guy, being a team leader, do not automatically qualify you to be a coach. Nobody said Bowman was a great guy. Tons of “veteran leaders” and great players have flamed out as coaches. What **actual evidence** do we have that St Louis knows how to develop young players?

“In Hugh-Gort we trust” - please. I want to believe in them, but if they make dubious moves, what am I supposed to do, suspend all judgement? Also worth considering is the bizarre timing; why fire DD after the break, instead of during the break, which is when a team would normally pull the trigger? This has troubling whiffs of the panic firing of Demers in ‘95 and the subsequent hiring of some guy the bosses knew and liked who happened to be available despite his lack of qualifications. I mean, I respect Gorton’s track record. But nothing in this decision inspires confidence. 

The fact that St Louis is interim is what makes this tolerable, to my mind. As I’ve noted, however, we are now in danger of St Louis getting good notices based on sub-polar expectations, being beloved by the French press, and thus getting an extension - entrusting the rebuild to a rank amateur coach.

I completely disagree.  Comparing them to Reggie Houle is as unfair as comparing them to Sam Pollock.  Assuming that Gorton is at the same level as the worst GM in team history without even letting his first major move play out? Comparing firing Demers to firing a coach who has as many wins this season as Jacob Markstrom has shutouts? Seems a bit of a hot take worthy of the worst radio call in show callers.

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The fact that St Louis is interim is what makes this tolerable, to my mind. As I’ve noted, however, we are now in danger of St Louis getting good notices based on sub-polar expectations, being beloved by the French press, and thus getting an extension - entrusting the rebuild to a rank amateur coach.

"In Danger" eh?

So we should be scairt or very nervous of this move?:wall:

5 minutes ago, DON said:

"In Danger" eh?

So we should be scairt or very nervous of this move?:wall:

Yes, We are in danger that St Louis might prove to be a good coach?

Or he wont and we will get rid of him in three months.

Welcome to the Danger Zone Don.

the one thing that is obvious is that Marty is such a likable person that the media and most fans are trumpeting his appointment like if we had gotten _THE_PLAYER_ he was at his peak instead of an unproven amateur coach.

Neopotism and wishful thinking

This reminds me how Caufield was given first line RW at the beginning of the season like if he was the second cmoning of Martin St-Louis... eh! Wait a second 😲 is it groundhog day ? 😁

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Be that as it may, I discount all this stuff about “St Louis’s personality” and his mentorship of young players while he was still playing himself. Being a great guy, being a team leader, do not automatically qualify you to be a coach. Nobody said Bowman was a great guy. Tons of “veteran leaders” and great players have flamed out as coaches. What **actual evidence** do we have that St Louis knows how to develop young players?

And tons of veteran coaches have also flamed out. There were some interesting quotes from Tortorella in an Athletic story from last night.

“He always had his eye on the ball of what he wanted to do,” Tortorella said. “He wanted to coach. He was preparing himself. He was watching trends of the league. Right now it’s such a young league, there’s going to need to be teaching done. As inexperienced as he is, there will be questions. but I think he’s readied himself for the position.”

What will St. Louis’ biggest adjustment be? He’ll certainly feel out how to manage the bench, the ice time, the relationships. Despite the limited experience, St. Louis is a fresh voice, which is what so many crave in the NHL (and which leads to rotating coaches all the time).

“He’s solid with the Xs and Os,” Tortorella said. “The biggest thing for him is to see what he has, see how much information he should give at certain times. He’s got to read his team. A big part of coaching is how much information you give your team. How can you give them and they still can play free. This is where his biggest strength is going to be. Coaching in the National Hockey League, the Xs and Os are important, but the feel and mindset of your team is more important. What the players have mentally, what they can handle on certain days in a season is where Marty is going to be strong.