Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, titanfan said:

Just a thought.  Could Gorton mentor Paul Maurice enabling him to take the next step from coach to GM?

Granted I'm not sure Maurice even speaks French.  Nor an\m I sure he is the best choice.  But at some point you'd think that would be his next move - to become a GM somewhere.

As much as I like Paul Maurice, he doesn't speak French, I think Gorton will look for an up and comer and Maurice probably wants a little break. A good thought but highly highly unlikely. 

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I don't think he does. But a French surname might be almost as good. 😄

As they say ... close only counts in horseshoes (and hand grenades) 😉

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I don't think he does. But a French surname might be almost as good. 😄

I doubt it, there have been complains by the members of the french media in the past that about players with French names that spoke French, weren’t real Québécois.

6 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I doubt it, there have been complains by the members of the french media in the past that about players with French names that spoke French, weren’t real Québécois.

you are 100% right about that.

players: Francis Bouillon, Rene Bourque, Sébastien Bordeleau, Benoît Pouliot, Xavier Ouellet

and Coaches: Claude Julien, Jacques Martin

15 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think the percentage of the French media who complain about French-speaking coaches/GM, and players, from outside Quebec not being "real Québécois" is a small subset of the portion of the media who complain about those positions being filled by non-French-speaking individuals ... I cannot recall a complaint about Paul Byron being from Ottawa, rather there is great affection for his speaking French ... unlike being unable to speak French, I think that being from outside Quebec is nothing with which the Habs would be overly concerned.

58 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think the percentage of the French media who complain about French-speaking coaches/GM, and players, from outside Quebec not being "real Québécois" is a small subset of the portion of the media who complain about those positions being filled by non-French-speaking individuals ... I cannot recall a complaint about Paul Byron being from Ottawa, rather there is great affection for his speaking French ... unlike being unable to speak French, I think that being from outside Quebec is nothing with which the Habs would be overly concerned.

Agreed.  Habs can't be overly concerned with this, will always be a small minority that complain. Sometimes the Habs acquire Quebec born players (ie. Danault) and then they would have to over pay to keep them.

It is not that there are complaints but that the media and public do not count French-speaking-French-named players and coaches at all as “gens de chez nous” (brothers)

they consider them at best as “cousins” or at worst as “oddities”

in that view,’they are

not “close enough” and also they are disregarded by the loud minority when they complain about not having enough quebequers in the organization 

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I can't say I've read a complaint that he's from Ottawa but I can recall reading pieces that mocked his French since it wasn't 100% perfect.  It's a very vocal minority who unfortunately have prominent positions with the places they write for and while many see through the nonsense, there are still enough that take what those people write as gospel for it to be a factor.

It's fair to say the Habs shouldn't be concerned by a candidate not being from Quebec but based on some of the comments from those writers from the Gorton hiring, they will try to make it a significant issue if the next few hires aren't French-speaking locals.  And with Molson being known to be acutely aware of any sort of media criticism, it will inevitably be a factor in who is selected.

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent discussion on the possibility of Price going to Edmonton. On thing is for sure, Edmonton is turning into a desperate team and there is no chance they win a cup with their current goaltending. 

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/gregor-can-price-be-the-answer-in-nets-for-the-oilers-1.1741702

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

An excellent discussion on the possibility of Price going to Edmonton. On thing is for sure, Edmonton is turning into a desperate team and there is no chance they win a cup with their current goaltending. 

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/gregor-can-price-be-the-answer-in-nets-for-the-oilers-1.1741702

I make the trade - Koskinen, Broberg and a 1st - in a flash...which is why it won't happen. But who knows, maybe EDMN is desperate. They should be, actually; they are wasting the best years of the best players of their generation.

EDIT: on Price "shutting it down," part of me wonders whether he wants to bother when the team in front of him will be a clown car. I can see where "getting 100% healthy" becomes the preferable option under those conditions. I notice we weren't hearing that narrative when the Olympics were a possibility, for instance...

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I make the trade - Koskinen, Broberg and a 1st - in a flash...which is why it won't happen. But who knows, maybe EDMN is desperate. They should be, actually; they are wasting the best years of the best players of their generation.

EDIT: on Price "shutting it down," part of me wonders whether he wants to bother when the team in front of him will be a clown car. I can see where "getting 100% healthy" becomes the preferable option under those conditions. I notice we weren't hearing that narrative when the Olympics were a possibility, for instance...

On that proposal, even if Montreal retained 50%, it still wouldn't work cap-wise for Edmonton.  That's the biggest roadblock - Koskinen only solves part of the cap issue this season but they'd have to move a longer-term contract to help in terms of making the money work.

I think they'll have to talk to Price to get a sense of what he wants to do.  If he decides he wants to move on, it'd actually behoove him to come back for at least a few games to show he's healthy.  Otherwise, the knee is a big question mark heading into the summer which would make a move even harder.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed. I also would make that trade in a flash.  I also wonder about Price, playing in front of the current Habs can't get him too excited but maybe the opportunity to play for a cup contender would change his attitude. 

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

On that proposal, even if Montreal retained 50%, it still wouldn't work cap-wise for Edmonton.  That's the biggest roadblock - Koskinen only solves part of the cap issue this season but they'd have to move a longer-term contract to help in terms of making the money work.

I think they'll have to talk to Price to get a sense of what he wants to do.  If he decides he wants to move on, it'd actually behoove him to come back for at least a few games to show he's healthy.  Otherwise, the knee is a big question mark heading into the summer which would make a move even harder.

No question it would take some creativity, as suggested it might involve another team taking part of the cap hit for some consideration. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No question it would take some creativity, as suggested it might involve another team taking part of the cap hit for some consideration. 

It cost a third-rounder last year for Detroit to retain one year and 25% of the remainder of Savard's contract.  How much is it going to cost for at least four years of any type of retention on Price?  The actual money outlay alone will push the asking price to a first-rounder and then some, a price that Montreal won't want to pay.  No one's paying millions of dollars for a player not to play for them for a mid-round pick and so-so prospect.  That's not a viable route in this situation.

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It cost a third-rounder last year for Detroit to retain one year and 25% of the remainder of Savard's contract.  How much is it going to cost for at least four years of any type of retention on Price?  The actual money outlay alone will push the asking price to a first-rounder and then some, a price that Montreal won't want to pay.  No one's paying millions of dollars for a player not to play for them for a mid-round pick and so-so prospect.  That's not a viable route in this situation.

The only other options are (1) for Edmonton to dump some contracts over the summer, or (2) for Edmonton to dump some contracts to the Habs. But, are there any contracts there that would make sense for both the Habs and the Oilers?

Here is the issue with trading price.

If you retain half his contract and then sign another #1 goalie, you are paying the same cap hit, for a goalie who likely will be an average starter (thats what you get for 5 million).  So you spend the same money.

As Brian points out, if you use a third team to retain that money, the prospect/draft pick cost is going to be just as high as what you get for Price, so whats the point?

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Here is the issue with trading price.

If you retain half his contract and then sign another #1 goalie, you are paying the same cap hit, for a goalie who likely will be an average starter (thats what you get for 5 million).  So you spend the same money.

As Brian points out, if you use a third team to retain that money, the prospect/draft pick cost is going to be just as high as what you get for Price, so whats the point?

Trading Price would make sense if we had a young starter coming up - even a #1A. Then you acquire Koskinen and let him walk when his term ends, and let the kid with a cheap contract rotate with Allen. That’d be a good setup for a rebuild. 

Since MB did absolutely nothing to prepare for the aging out on our back end, including Price, this is not a possibility at present. So yeah, as fun as it is to imagine a trade like the one mooted with EDMN, it probably doesn’t make a ton of sense for the Habs - unless Price manifestly wants out. In that case it might be worth doing.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Since MB did absolutely nothing to prepare for the aging out on our back end, including Price, 

What?

Romanov, Guhle, Norlinder, Harris, this years pick are nothing? Adding Savard?

Reupping Allen; do have Primeau and 1/2 dozen other goalies in system? 

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Indeed. I think the only way it makes sense is if the other team can take the full 50% cap hit. And it's unlikely that Edmonton would manage to do that.

'

A 50% cap hit for Price is not much different than what the Oilers are paying for Koskinen right now (4.5 vs 5.25).  Yes, Koskinen's contract is up at the end of the year but they would have to replace him with someone decent who likely wouldn't be much less than a 50% cap hit for Price if they want to be a contender.  Mike Smith is almost 40 and injury prone.  Of course, the Oilers would have to be convinced that Price is healthy.  The Oilers are in win now mode. They will be doing something, if not Price then someone else. 

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Trading Price would make sense if we had a young starter coming up - even a #1A. Then you acquire Koskinen and let him walk when his term ends, and let the kid with a cheap contract rotate with Allen. That’d be a good setup for a rebuild. 

Since MB did absolutely nothing to prepare for the aging out on our back end, including Price, this is not a possibility at present. So yeah, as fun as it is to imagine a trade like the one mooted with EDMN, it probably doesn’t make a ton of sense for the Habs - unless Price manifestly wants out. In that case it might be worth doing.

I disagree that they did nothing to have a young starter ready.

Goalies are voodoo

We drafted fucale relatively high and he busted.

We have had free agent or late round picks in lindgren, condon, hawkey, mcniven, primeau, in iur system and 2 are still developing.

We drafted a bunch lately too, vrbetic, dobes, dichow.

Goalies are voodoo.  Just keep taking lottery tickets and one will eventually hit.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Goalies are voodoo.  Just keep taking lottery tickets and one will eventually hit.

That is so true.  Hard to figure goalies out.  Look at Jack Campbell in Toronto, having a career year (.939 save%) at age 29?   Did he finally figure it out or is this year a fluke?  I have no idea. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is so true.  Hard to figure goalies out.  Look at Jack Campbell in Toronto, having a career year (.939 save%) at age 29?   Did he finally figure it out or is this year a fluke?  I have no idea. 

I think 939 is high, no goalie can maintain that. 

That said, I think he's figured it out that he's a legit starter.  Not an elite goalie, but a legit starting goalie in the NHL. 

But yeah, goalies are voodoo.  He was drafted in the top 12, busted out of Dallas, became a decent backup in LA and resurrected his career when most thought he was a complete bust, then now became a starter.  Not the typical path of a prospect.