Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

And this is from Basu's Athletic article, a vignette from a U18 game that St Louis's son was playing at.

Brunswick varsity coach Mike Kennedy has therefore known St. Louis for a long time, and when he is in the stands, anything St. Louis can do, any help he can offer, is more than welcomed. This time was no different.

“He’s probably the best hockey mind I’ve ever come across just in terms of how quickly he can analyze the game, whether that’s in the first period of a game we literally played last night. He was at our game,” Kennedy said Wednesday evening.

Brunswick was having trouble exiting its defensive zone because the Connecticut U-18s were pinching very aggressively down the boards with their defencemen. St. Louis, as he often does, went down to the room and suggested to Kennedy and the coaching staff that they switch up their lines a little to ensure all of their wingers were playing on their off wing so they could pick pucks off the boards, turn toward the middle of the ice to protect the puck from those pinching defencemen and zip them cross-ice on their forehand through the neutral zone, where the other winger would be releasing to get the puck in stride.

“We literally pulled it off six or seven times in the second period,” Kennedy said. “I’m the head coach, and three of my assistants, he came and talked to us between the first and second period, and we were just like, ‘Wow, we would have never thought to do this.’ I’ve been listening to a lot of stuff tonight about how he’s a great people person, and yeah, he is. But he knows the game. He’s been studying the game since he was a player. He was always analytical in that way. And I think ever since he’s retired, he’s been preparing for this.

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

the one thing that is obvious is that Marty is such a likable person that the media and most fans are trumpeting his appointment like if we had gotten _THE_PLAYER_ he was at his peak instead of an unproven amateur coach.

Neopotism and wishful thinking

Yep. That’s my concern.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes, We are in danger that St Louis might prove to be a good coach?

Or he wont and we will get rid of him in three months.

Welcome to the Danger Zone Don.

You guys aren’t listening. 

This is an ideal situation for St Louis. Expectations are zero. Everyone is desperate for change. He is a likeable guy. He will, in other words, enjoy a honeymoon - augmented by the fans and the French press, of course. That will tee him up nicely for a longer-term contract even if he is NOT the best choice to coach the team, supervise the rebuild, and bring along our young players. 

In all the discussions about who might coach this club, I never heard St Louis’s name come up once. Yet now we are being told he is a brilliant choice. 🙄 Wishful thinking indeed.

Radio broadcast:

"1 minute left on the power play, Suzuki sends the puck to the left board to Petry. Oh! Petry mishandles the puck and its a break away! Eller skates in alone.... and scoooooores on the brak away.

What was Suzuki thinking! That Petry could pick the puck off the board? That's what wingers are for ..." 🤡

No, no...of course, this *could* all work out. Coach St. Louis could turn out to be a gem. The young players could flourish. Stranger things have happened. This is not an exact science. 

All I'm saying is that we are not proceeding in a fashion that maximizes the probabilities of favourable outcomes. Keep Caufield up rather than send him down: unwise. Fire a coach after a break rather than at its beginning, in an apparently reactive move: unwise. Hire a raw rookie as his replacement: unwise. Set that raw rookie up for a honeymoon period which may result in considerable PR pressure to make him permanent: unwise. 

If we saw another franchise - say, the Leafs - acting that way, we'd be skeptical that they know what they're doing. All of this is decidedly redolent of typical Habs PR Gong Show thinking rather than careful, strategic managerial thinking. I sure hope I'm wrong about that, because if I'm not, it bodes very poorly for the next decade.

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No, no...of course, this *could* all work out. Coach St. Louis could turn out to be a gem. The young players could flourish. Stranger things have happened. This is not an exact science. 

All I'm saying is that we are not proceeding in a fashion that maximizes the probabilities of favourable outcomes. Keep Caufield up rather than send him down: unwise. Fire a coach after a break rather than at its beginning, in an apparently reactive move: unwise. Hire a raw rookie as his replacement: unwise. Set that raw rookie up for a honeymoon period which may result in considerable PR pressure to make him permanent: unwise. 

If we saw another franchise - say, the Leafs - acting that way, we'd be skeptical that they know what they're doing. All of this is decidedly redolent of typical Habs PR Gong Show thinking rather than careful, strategic managerial thinking. I sure hope I'm wrong about that, because if I'm not, it bodes very poorly for the next decade.

Here's my uneducated take. The relationship with DD became untenable between the NJD game and Wednesday afternoon. They moved up the timeline for his firing. They hired MSL to get him into the organization now, and didn't want an available retread coach as the interim. They may be targeting a coach that's currently an assistant on an NHL team and are waiting until the offseason, may be targeting a head coach outside of the NHL. Either way, they want a coach that is most likely currently unavailable now for whatever reason.  I don't believe St. Louis is intended as the long term head coach of the team. The only negative in the situation is the lack of experience of St. Louis as a coach. Given the current status of the team in the standings and where they will finish, it's barely a negative at that. The team can finish 0-37 and MSL won't get blamed.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

In all the discussions about who might coach this club, I never heard St Louis’s name come up once. Yet now we are being told he is a brilliant choice. 🙄 Wishful thinking indeed.

Sorry, just dont understand the cynicism?

I really think overracting, do you not realize he is an interim coach and we will see what he does with this roster.

I believe there’s a spot in somewhere management for St. Louis and he’s being appointed as intern coach until the season is done so they can transition him.  For right now they fill a need for a coach without getting a new coach.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TurdBurglar said:

I believe there’s a spot in somewhere management for St. Louis and he’s being appointed as intern coach until the season is done so they can transition him.  For right now they fill a need for a coach without getting a new coach.

What St Louis said in the presser, though, was that he was intent on coaching the Habs for the long term, but he accepts that he needs to prove himself -- again! -- in order to get that opportunity.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

What St Louis said in the presser, though, was that he was intent on coaching the Habs for the long term, but he accepts that he needs to prove himself -- again! -- in order to get that opportunity.

I was slightly surprised by that ... but it also what he has to say in order to have any authority in the locker room.

The interim sign does indicate that they like the AHL coaches/assistant coaches of other teams but cant get them now.

If they wanted someone outside the organization, who were the viable options available for a midseason move.

Patrick Roy

Bon Hartley

Vigneault

Julien

Therrien

Guy Boucher 

Any of those appealing? They arent to me.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree about Canfield, and not firing DD before the break- hell intrhougjtnitnahoiodbhave been done during the Xmas break. I’d also add keeping up Premieau as another head scratcher.

But a coaching change was CLEARLY needed. This team quit on DD a LONG time ago.

We need a change to get the veterans improving enough to boast their trade value. I also think we need a coach he is either going to put Caufield in a role he can succeed, or have enough balls to go the GM and insist he be sent down to Laval because he isn’t ready.

we also have another limitation no other team has. The French language constraint.  We needed a change in style, approach and for that we needed a new coach. Did I consider St. Louis as an option?  No.  Am I concerned as much as I was with the idiotic Ronald Corey move early in a season? No.

DD had plenty of time. We have a crappy team, but we shouldn’t losing 6-1, 7-1 on a consistent basis. That is coaching. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The interim sign does indicate that they like the AHL coaches/assistant coaches of other teams but cant get them now.

If they wanted someone outside the organization, who were the viable options available for a midseason move.

Patrick Roy

Bon Hartley

Vigneault

Julien

Therrien

Guy Boucher 

Any of those appealing? They arent to me.

100% agree. The fact that Rejean Trembley is critical of the move, gives me comfort we made the right move.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

He'll be 29 when the season starts. Surely we should not be signing 30ish players to long-term contracts at this stage of our rebuild?

Gaudreau is a legit star with 55 points in 43 games so far this season. 

It would not be all that different than Gorton signing Panarin after sending out a letter that the Rangers were rebuilding.

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Gaudreau is a legit star with 55 points in 43 games so far this season. 

It would not be all that different than Gorton signing Panarin after sending out a letter that the Rangers were rebuilding.

Yeah, but he didn’t have to overpay for Panarin, since wanted to go to NYC. Gaudreau wants to win and get paid, and probably wants to be in the Metro division.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, but he didn’t have to overpay for Panarin, since wanted to go to NYC. Gaudreau wants to win and get paid, and probably wants to be in the Metro division.

And if that's the case then we won't sign him, but there is nothing wrong with exploring it. 

Panarin also didn't take a discount.  He got market value.

1 minute ago, Neech said:

I recall there being bigger offers on the table (in states with lower tax).  He was NYR or bust. 

His cap hit is 11.642 million per season. 

Any discount he took was extremely minimal. 

7 minutes ago, Neech said:

Other teams were reportedly offering up to $13M per season.

Reports arent facts... but again, the point is that the Rangers committed serious cash to the guy a couple months after the rebuild letter.  If gaudreau is considering Montreal, gorton isnt going to turn him away.

At 11.6 a season, Panarin didnt choose the rangers out of the goodness in his heart.  Thats generational wealth.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

At 11.6 a season, Panarin didnt choose the rangers out of the goodness in his heart.  Thats generational wealth.

He took significantly less to play for the Rangers as it was his destination of choice. I don't see many players doing that to come to Montreal.