Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Konecny and a 1st would work for me if they throw in Morin to be a 7D/AHL-callup he has disappointed and seems to be a bust but I would not mind having him in Laval insulating/protecting some of the Habs prospects or being a callup for some games against bigger teams

I'm assuming you mean long-term as he's out for the season with yet another major knee injury (his third or fourth).  I think we can remove 'seems to be', he's a bust.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Would the Flyers trade Konecny?

I think they would in the right move.  He's someone that Vigneault wasn't a big fan of and this little point streak he's on right now is skewing the fact he underwhelmed for most of this season.

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm assuming you mean long-term as he's out for the season with yet another major knee injury (his third or fourth).  I think we can remove 'seems to be', he's a bust.

great! The I would ask for him and negotiate with him an AHL deal next season so that he does not use a contract slot for nothing.

Habs traded Baddock and Pezzetta is a lightweight. I want a big mean D in Laval that may be an emergency call up and is not featherweight  

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

great! The I would ask for him and negotiate with him an AHL deal next season so that he does not use a contract slot for nothing.

Habs traded Baddock and Pezzetta is a lightweight. I want a big mean D in Laval that may be an emergency call up and is not featherweight  

I think there's a chance Philly won't qualify him because of the injury so there's no real need to trade for his negotiating rights.  Morin wouldn't sign an AHL deal without testing the market first; he has no reason to do so.  Montreal doesn't have any useless contracts on their books; guys like Belpedio could be moved but they play pretty important roles in Laval.  Trading one of those for a guy who won't play at all this year in the hopes that he'll accept an AHL contract for 22-23 earlier than he needs do doesn't make sense from a value standpoint.

He could be a reasonable option for a Laval tough guy on an AHL deal (for the 20 or so games before his knee inevitably gives out yet again) but that contract can be done in July or August, no need to get his negotiating rights now.  In the meantime, if you're looking for a fighter defenceman for Laval, keep in mind that Xhekaj will be there next season and will probably be in the role you're looking for Morin to have.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think there's a chance Philly won't qualify him because of the injury so there's no real need to trade for his negotiating rights.  Morin wouldn't sign an AHL deal without testing the market first; he has no reason to do so.  Montreal doesn't have any useless contracts on their books; guys like Belpedio could be moved but they play pretty important roles in Laval.  Trading one of those for a guy who won't play at all this year in the hopes that he'll accept an AHL contract for 22-23 earlier than he needs do doesn't make sense from a value standpoint.

He could be a reasonable option for a Laval tough guy on an AHL deal (for the 20 or so games before his knee inevitably gives out yet again) but that contract can be done in July or August, no need to get his negotiating rights now.  In the meantime, if you're looking for a fighter defenceman for Laval, keep in mind that Xhekaj will be there next season and will probably be in the role you're looking for Morin to have.

That’s a good answer. Thanks !

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Long-term, I agree. 

On a short term deal at the right money, I'm fine with signing vets.  But the term has to be for 1 year... 2 years absolute max on these guys. 

I don't mind Corey Perry type deals (and even a more expensive version but the same length with others). 

If they want multi year deals, I'm fine with letting them walk. 

Oh I agree with signing a veteran to be a mentor, but I don’t see a guy like Letang signing a 1 or 2 year deal. We already have older guys like Weber (will probably be on LTIR for remainder of his contract), Petry (most likely traded before start of next year), Savard signed on multi-year deals on the D.

we have multi year deals to Gallagher, Byron, and Armia (not as old, but will be hard to move). We can’t keep giving multi-year deals to guys that aren’t in their prime anymore.

radulov actually would have made sense for a 2-3 year deal back when we were going for it. But we are at least 3-4 years away from becoming a legit playoff team. Expensive veterans on long term deals is not what we should be chasing. We should be keeping cap flexibility to take on shorter term bad contracts for picks/prospects.

55 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

radulov actually would have made sense for a 2-3 year deal back when we were going for it. But we are at least 3-4 years away from becoming a legit playoff team. Expensive veterans on long term deals is not what we should be chasing. We should be keeping cap flexibility to take on shorter term bad contracts for picks/prospects.

Of course, it must be said that Radulov had no intention of signing a 2 or 3-year deal and was asking for a max term contract up until the weeks leading into free agency.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

great! The I would ask for him and negotiate with him an AHL deal next season so that he does not use a contract slot for nothing ...

But he would still use up a contract slot this season ... if, for example, the return was Morin and Konecny the Habs would be left only with a slot to sign Harris, leaving no ability to exploit possible opportunities to take on a pending UFA contract (along with "payment") to facilitate a trade for another team, or to sign NCAA/European free agents before the 22/23 NHL "year".

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Konecny and a 1st would work for me if they throw in Morin to be a 7D/AHL-callup he has disappointed and seems to be a bust but I would not mind having him in Laval insulating/protecting some of the Habs prospects or being a callup for some games against bigger teams

That would certainly work for me, I just don't see Philly giving up a 1st this year (lottery pick) or next year (potential lottery pick).  That isn't going to happen. 

38 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

NOPE!!!

Putin would maybe take him for a linemate.

Not that he needs help, i think he averages 15g/gm anyways.

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Putin would maybe take him for a linemate.

Not that he needs help, i think he averages 15g/gm anyways.

Ok, let me reconsider Radulov ,  Age = 36 in the summer,  Production = 2 goals in 45 games   Defense + intangibles + leadership  =  0

Still NOPE

Seravalli: 5 Trade Target candidates to be 2022’s Coleman or Goodrow

The Missing Piece?

1. Artturi Lehkonen
Left Wing / Right Wing, Montreal Canadiens
Shoots: Left
Contract: Pending RFA, $2.3 million AAV
Stats: 49 GP, 7 goals, 13 assists, 20 points, 14:34 TOI
Scoop: Lehkonen is now in his sixth NHL season and has the most games played of anyone on the board, with 387 games under his belt. In the five years since, he has not been able to get back to the 18-goal level that he posted as a rookie, which gave the Habs a big shot in the arm as a 21-year-old. The question other teams have: Is that because this is who Lehkonen is, or is it because of how he’s been deployed? He’s started 60 percent of his shifts in the defensive zone this year, where he seemingly competes on every shift as a defender like its Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. Teams love how responsible and tenacious he is, how he plays just about every facet of the game the “right” way – except for score. He is a coach’s dream with his work rate and effort. Lehkonen will undoubtedly be due a raise this offseason, his final as a restricted free agent, and now is the time for Montreal to make a decision. Is he staying or going? Because there is significant value in Lehkonen.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Nice piece about Lehkonen and it describes him perfectly.  On a contending team he can be a real valuable player.  I have no problem keeping him unless the offer is something you can't turn down. 

I guess borderline keeper, not sure how new contract would fit, if he is getting a raise?

12 minutes ago, DON said:

I guess borderline keeper, not sure how new contract would fit, if he is getting a raise?

It's not a question of if - Lehkonen will be a year away from UFA eligibility so if he's giving up some free agent years, he's getting a raise. 

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's not a question of if - Lehkonen will be a year away from UFA eligibility so if he's giving up some free agent years, he's getting a raise. 

Yes, sorry poor wording.

How does he look to be a fit, if was to resign with Habs? On the 'rebuilt' roster for next season at least?

I don't think there is any question that Lehkonen can contribute even after the rebuild. He's only 26, he's outstanding defensively, and he can even score sometimes when teamed up with better linemates (as we saw with Toffoli and Suzuki). And he gives it 100% every night. Kind of like Danault in many ways ...

The questions are really based on whether his contract will fit -- only Gorton and Hughes know -- and whether another team might be willing to pay more than he is worth to the Habs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I don't think there is any question that Lehkonen can contribute even after the rebuild. He's only 26, he's outstanding defensively, and he can even score sometimes when teamed up with better linemates (as we saw with Toffoli and Suzuki). And he gives it 100% every night. Kind of like Danault in many ways ...

The questions are really based on whether his contract will fit -- only Gorton and Hughes know -- and whether another team might be willing to pay more than he is worth to the Habs.

I think that sums it up pretty well. 

If the return isn't solid, I don't see the point in trading Lehkonen.  He's a strong checker. In all areas of the ice. He's young and fast and defensively strong. How much do you pay a guy like him with his inconsistent numbers? Can't be that much can it? 

31 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

If the return isn't solid, I don't see the point in trading Lehkonen.  He's a strong checker. In all areas of the ice. He's young and fast and defensively strong. How much do you pay a guy like him with his inconsistent numbers? Can't be that much can it? 

I will take a stab at that. If you look at his regular season stats he has averaged about 14G/82 games and 30points/82 games. His production in the playoffs is almost identical which is a positive since you are always playing better teams and checking is tighter.

He will never be a big scorer (pretty sure about that) but he is one of those players you can always trust to be out there in a close game. Danault got 5.5M/year albeit centre is more valuable position and his numbers were better (averaged 40Points/82 Games) and is recognized as one of the top shut down centres in the league. Maybe this is a bad comparison as I should find a winger for a good comparison.

If Lehkonen was a free agent he would likely get at least 3.5M/year given his age as you would be getting a lot of prime years.  If the Habs don't trade him I would be happy if the Habs could sign him for 10M over 3 years. Just my thoughts. He is one of my favourite Habs. There will be no lack of suitors in a trade or as a free agent.  I think coaches and GM's are very fond of Arturri and what he brings. 

• Upvote 1