Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

39 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Hmmmm so Harris might be a second round pick. Was hoping for more but your analogy about the Habs trading for a Harris type is true

I think a second is possible, but on the high end.  I would guess closer to a 3rd for Harris.  Right now he’s a bottom pair defenceman on good team and as Brian pointed out, his ceiling isn’t much higher than where he is now.

Could he develop into a second pairing guy?  Maybe, but teams aren’t going to pay extra for maybe for a player like Harris.

Wonder if HuGo are amongst those interested?

Until this season, his KHL career has been unremarkable in terms of production

2017-18    Moscow Spartak   20      0       0        0
2018-19    Moscow Spartak   31      4       5         9
2019-20    Moscow Spartak   52      5      6        11
2020-21    Moscow Spartak   58      9      8        17
2021-22    Moscow Spartak   38      4      8        12
2022-23    Moscow Spartak   63    10    15        25
2023-24    Moscow Spartak   58    30    15        45

One thing to keep in mind, (and not just him but all KHLers) the quality of the league has really dropped since the war as there is far less quality foreign players.  Swedes, Finn, Canadians, Americans, are far less prevalent than they were before 

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

One thing to keep in mind, (and not just him but all KHLers) the quality of the league has really dropped since the war as there is far less quality foreign players.  Swedes, Finn, Canadians, Americans, are far less prevalent than they were before 

His numbers this season (30g in 58 games so far) may get some fans excited about "Top 6" potential ... however, the Twitter poster noted that Tsyplakov has nearly doubled his KHL career goal total so far this season, and that his 19.9% shooting rate represents a significant jump in his career average ... but mentioned that his top speed in the KHL would rank around the 97th percentile versus NHL EDGE data, that he is 4th among KHL forwards in hits, that he's a big body (6-foot-3 and 200 pounds) and that he has decent hands, although he doesn't create a ton for himself or others ... he concluded by suggesting Tsyplakov may be a 4th liner/depth winger who could pop some goals; described him as possibly a William Carrier type ... for the right price, could be worth a short-term deal to take a peek ... but is that a price that would tempt Tsyplakov to come to the NHL.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tsyplakov is capped at a one-year ELC wherever he signs so the price point is what it is.  It'll be max salary, max bonuses (most of which won't be achieved). 

Then could be worth a look-see, depending on what HuGo "see".

image.png

I understand he is from some podcast ... 😉

But then

However, "haven't spoken in days" also indicates that there have been discussions and nothing close could only mean "to being completed", not that the talks have hit "irreconcilable differences" ... other than making the cap work (such an inconsequential, easily surmounted issue 😜), it makes a lot of sense.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

But then

However, "haven't spoken in days" also indicates that there have been discussions and nothing close could only mean "to being completed", not that the talks have hit "irreconcilable differences" ... other than making the cap work (such an inconsequential, easily surmounted issue 😜), it makes a lot of sense.

After all this waiting with three goalies…Habs are going to end up waiving Allen at the beginning of next season aren’t they?

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Usually Darren Dreger knows what he is talking about. We are inching closer to the deadline though. 

Agreed ... the only way I can see it working is if the Avs otherwise obtain a 2/3C and then move Johansen plus "something" for Allen ... Hughes would likely look to move Ryan this summer, ideally for a lesser bad contract that could fill a role next season, or maybe use one of NEXT seasons' retention slots ... but I think he prefers not to use retention slots (this year or next year) unless absolutely necessary ... the Habs still have Gallagher, Anderson and Armia who, I-M-O, ideally need to be moved out before the team gets serious about the playoffs ... although they could just suck-it-up for one more year with Armia.

Just reading the Colorado chat boards, they were discussing trading Ryan Johansen for Allen since their contracts are almost identical. They can't wait to dump Johansen who has been a bust (19 pts in 54 games) and 1 more year at 4Million. No point in Habs making that move without a nice sweetener, would rather keep Allen. 

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Just reading the Colorado chat boards, they were discussing trading Ryan Johansen for Allen since their contracts are almost identical. They can't wait to dump Johansen who has been a bust (19 pts in 54 games) and 1 more year at 4Million. No point in Habs making that move without a nice sweetener, would rather keep Allen. 

At least moving Allen would clear up the Ghidorah-Goalie situation and provide an extra forward this season ... in addition to Hughes pulling off possible trade magic this summer, RJ's buyout is not terrible ... $1,333,334 for 24/25 and 25/26 ... which would have to factor into the "sweetener".

22 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think it would even need to be that great.... I'd do a minor prospect or like a 2nd rounder and take on Johansen. We need a body to play centre this season and maybe we rehab and flip him next year ala Monahan. 

Allen at no retention has very little value IMO.  If we retain the price would be high to make us use that spot, but without retention, I don't think you are getting more than a 5th or 6th. 

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

At least moving Allen would clear up the Ghidorah-Goalie situation and provide an extra forward this season ... in addition to Hughes pulling off possible trade magic this summer, RJ's buyout is not terrible ... $1,333,334 for 24/25 and 25/26 ... which would have to factor into the "sweetener".

True but I still wouldn't do it without a sweetener. Allen will be easier to get rid of next year than Johansen but I am pretty sure Hughes wants the goalie situation cleared up before the season starts next year. Three goalies is not a great situation 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think it would even need to be that great.... I'd do a minor prospect or like a 2nd rounder and take on Johansen. We need a body to play centre this season and maybe we rehab and flip him next year ala Monahan. 

Allen at no retention has very little value IMO.  If we retain the price would be high to make us use that spot, but without retention, I don't think you are getting more than a 5th or 6th. 

Fair point, I agree that Allen without retention has little value. Either we retain 50% to get something or take on another contract. The haul will be larger for Savard, especially if we retain 50%. 

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I want a trade!!!

image.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I want a trade!!!

image.gif

I prefer 

godzilla-minus-one-roar.gif

19 hours ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

But then

This morning on TSN690 Dreger specified that the Habs-Avs hadn't discussed Allen in 10 days to two weeks, but that he could see Allen as a good backup match for Colorado ... as I said above, *** IF *** the Avs can find a 2C (maybe a 3C) elsewhere, then Johansen+ for Allen could make sense as long as saving Colorado the buyout cost is factored in to the "+" along with the differential in utility of the two players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

This morning on TSN690 Dreger specified that the Habs-Avs hadn't discussed Allen in 10 days to two weeks, but that he could see Allen as a good backup match for Colorado ... as I said above, *** IF *** the Avs can find a 2C (maybe a 3C) elsewhere, then Johansen+ for Allen could make sense as long as saving Colorado the buyout cost is factored in to the "+" along with the differential in utility of the two players.

Allen to Colorado makes sense, it's just making the other pieces and salary fit as you said. Somehow I think Johansen would be involved. There has been a lot of chatter on the Calgary chat boards about Markstrom going to Jersey but talk is cheap. 

36 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Allen to Colorado makes sense, it's just making the other pieces and salary fit as you said. Somehow I think Johansen would be involved. There has been a lot of chatter on the Calgary chat boards about Markstrom going to Jersey but talk is cheap. 

I've read those rumors too, but every one mentions cap hit is the issue for New Jersey.  I'm not sure exactly what it is about the cap hit as I'm not invested into that rumor enough to look into it. 

23 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True but I still wouldn't do it without a sweetener. Allen will be easier to get rid of next year than Johansen but I am pretty sure Hughes wants the goalie situation cleared up before the season starts next year. Three goalies is not a great situation 

Not sure I'd agree with that.  To me, the marketability of a higher-priced backup is probably lower than a higher-priced 3C, all else being equal (and their contracts are close enough to be equal).  I think Johansen at 50% next year brings back more than Allen at 50% next year.  Johansen would give Montreal some more flexibility with some of their other expiring C's that year (Dvorak and Evans) which could help on the trade front.  I'd do that straight up if the opportunity presented itself but Colorado obviously would need to solve their C situation first or build it into the trade as a 3-way deal with Montreal using their last retention slot on someone like Henrique and then flip him as part of the swap too.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not sure I'd agree with that.  To me, the marketability of a higher-priced backup is probably lower than a higher-priced 3C, all else being equal (and their contracts are close enough to be equal).  I think Johansen at 50% next year brings back more than Allen at 50% next year.  

You might be right on that, I guess it depends on the market for that particular position at the time. 

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You might be right on that, I guess it depends on the market for that particular position at the time. 

Yeah, the timing is the important part.  Allen's value might be at its best near the draft if a team doesn't want to commit a multi-year deal to a backup goalie in free agency.  Johansen's probably isn't at its best until the next trade deadline so value is certainly relative to the calendar.