Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Saku has led us where in the playoffs? I'd try someone else.

The past few years when we did make it we lost to the team that went all the way. Those teams always talked about how we were the toughest team to play and Saku was very dangerous. When he went down in Carolina so did the team.

It's unfortunate he can't be ON 24/7 but then again no-one can. It's unfortunate he can't carry the team on his back but then again not too many can. It seems championship games are his thing, that's when the true lion comes out to play. If he was on Ottawa they would win the cup for sure this year. Without him probably not. They don't have a true leader like Saks on that team to gel it all together. Too bad the Habs don't have that one scoring line like Ottawa does.

I'm not interested in anyone else.

SAKS NEEDS HELP!!!!!!!!!

I really hate posting Eklund rumours but I suppose here is the right place to do it....

The discussion right now is the following deal with San Jose:

Marleau and Pavelski for Halak, Begin and a major prospect

the only reason is post is that he usually doesn't post the actual just uses his stupid e code system.

Any move the Habs make the salary has to be relatively close in salary cap. So for San Jose or soemone else the Habs can't take 5 mill in salary without 3.5 or something close going back. I would have no problem with Pavelski or Marleau.

Is there smoke without fire? We're hearing "Marleau to Montreal" rumors since las July...

But Bob is normally very secretive about trades (and everything else!)... Last spring when he seriously attempted to trade for Patrice Bergeron, the rumor gurus said nothing about it...

The rumours we constantly hear out of Bob's office over and over again have usually turned out to be true, it just took a few months. Theodore to Colorado for Aebischer? We were hearing about that rumour for months and months and we were still surprised when it came out. Niinimaa to Montreal? That was rumoured at the trade deadline of the 05-06 season - we acquired him in the preseason of the 06-07 season. Zednik to Washington was also rumoured for a while before it actually happened. To me, the fact that this rumour hasn't died down after months is a sign that it is going to happen in some form whether it includes Koivu or not.

I must say after reading other websites I'm much more into the Kovalev for Marleau rumours. The other thing to consider if Saks was to be traded, where exactly would we get our veteran leadership come play-off time. Every team needs a hardcore veteran which we would be lacking bigtime if we traded him away.

It might be unwise to trade our most valuable player of the season so far for a slumping (and even higher paid) player. Marleau is a better point producer but it's just not worth dealing our hottest player for a reclamation project or a slumping forward. I guess it depends on whether you've given up on the season or not.

I really hate posting Eklund rumours but I suppose here is the right place to do it....

The discussion right now is the following deal with San Jose:

Marleau and Pavelski for Halak, Begin and a major prospect

the only reason is post is that he usually doesn't post the actual just uses his stupid e code system.

A big prospect? I think our only prospect Gainey would call untouchable would be McDonagh and that our prospect that would be most attractive from the outside would be Sergei Kostitsyn.

Marleau and Pavelski for Halak, Begin and 'Lil ####? In value, I'd do that any day of the week, but that trade leaves us with 4 top 2 centers and then we have Chipchura who needs one of the spots. I think Pavelski might play LW too though so that would solve our problem. I doubt that's true but if it is... wow, Bob is really a great trader.

I must say after reading other websites I'm much more into the Kovalev for Marleau rumours. The other thing to consider if Saks was to be traded, where exactly would we get our veteran leadership come play-off time. Every team needs a hardcore veteran which we would be lacking bigtime if we traded him away.

Yeah...that makes sense....trade away our best forward so far this season instead of the guy who's sucking night after night after night.

You're joking, right?

You know that the playoffs you played in NHL 2000-2007 were just make believe, right?

Yeah...that makes sense....trade away our best forward so far this season instead of the guy who's sucking night after night after night.

i know alot of guy are on the Kovalev bandwagon this year, but i would trade him for Marleau in a heartbeat,kovalev as been a lazy player for most of his time in montreal, and because its getting time to talk money his picking of his play..I love his talent level but it means nothing if you not going to give it everything night in and night out. i just think marleau would be better for the team over all, just not on the score board

You're joking, right?

You know that the playoffs you played in NHL 2000-2007 were just make believe, right?

. Go back and read old paper clippings and what Carolina's coaching staff said about the Koivu line before he screwed up his eye. After Carolina won the cup who did they say was the toughest series? Go back and read articles in Montreal and Boston papers when Montreal came back from 3-1 to win the series and how great Koivu's line was. Go read what Salami and Koivu did for Finland. He is a veteran leader that with a little help will bring a cup to Montreal. Key word " HELP "

So to answer your question.

No I'm not joking.

If he is traded you tell me who will lead this team? Higgins? Komi? Kovalev? Markov? Ryder?

Exactly

no-one!

I'm stoked Kovalev is playing well just like you. But you surely must know what looms around the corner, right? As predictable as a Koivu slump Kovalev will find his usual lack-luster form as well. Look for it after the all-star break and then come talk to me.

It might be unwise to trade our most valuable player of the season so far for a slumping (and even higher paid) player. Marleau is a better point producer but it's just not worth dealing our hottest player for a reclamation project or a slumping forward. I guess it depends on whether you've given up on the season or not.

I haven't given up on the season. As stated above I'm pretty sure Kovalev will fall asleep soon. He always does, so my point was trade him instead of Koivu while he is hot. It would be good timing because I'm sure Marleau is about to wake-up, and that would surely get our captain going.

It's a gamble but that's life . He's been a pleasant surprise. I don't see it lasting

Wow, what an achievement. Two tough playoff series in how many years? You going to live off that, and each time Koivu has another terrible game, rewind the tapes? I bet you're thinking he should be in the HOF and have his number retired by us.

You trade Kovalev for Marleau, who in the hell would play his wing? Or Koivu's, for that matter, seeing the phenomenal success he's having with Ryder, Higgins, anybody? I'm all for reducing Koivu's minutes and getting a bone-fide 1st line centre, but to suggest Kovalev will be predictably dogging it and should be traded in advance is absurd. Iginla has had slumps, surely he's on the block. Datsyuk had a few difficult seasons, trade bait for sure. Kovalev's - and his lines - play is keeping us out of the cellar right now. Koivu's is not.

Also, I don't think the vaunted 'leadership' is much of a problem, as I think Higgins is more than ready to step into the role. Besides, by almost every account, he's hardly providing much leadership with his inspirational play and drive.

Saks gets a lot of slack in my camp, for everything he's been through, and I'd love to see him win with us, but we've been trying to build around him for way too long now, and if you count a couple of playoff series - one of which we lost - as glittering success, well...

Wow, what an achievement. Two tough playoff series in how many years? You going to live off that, and each time Koivu has another terrible game, rewind the tapes? I bet you're thinking he should be in the HOF and have his number retired by us.

You trade Kovalev for Marleau, who in the hell would play his wing? Or Koivu's, for that matter, seeing the phenomenal success he's having with Ryder, Higgins, anybody? I'm all for reducing Koivu's minutes and getting a bone-fide 1st line centre, but to suggest Kovalev will be predictably dogging it and should be traded in advance is absurd. Iginla has had slumps, surely he's on the block. Datsyuk had a few difficult seasons, trade bait for sure. Kovalev's - and his lines - play is keeping us out of the cellar right now. Koivu's is not.

Also, I don't think the vaunted 'leadership' is much of a problem, as I think Higgins is more than ready to step into the role. Besides, by almost every account, he's hardly providing much leadership with his inspirational play and drive.

Saks gets a lot of slack in my camp, for everything he's been through, and I'd love to see him win with us, but we've been trying to build around him for way too long now, and if you count a couple of playoff series - one of which we lost - as glittering success, well...

Yep, these are my thoughts.

Honestly the whole leadership and heart of the team thing is overused as a defense for Koivu. Every team has a captain. I'm not sure that the locker room vibe would take that much of a hit if he were gone.

But like you said, it would be preferable to have some success with him around, I like the little fella.

You see that's a big problem .He hasn't been terrible. He's working, digging and feeding some pretty nice passes in front of the net. How many times has Ryder put the puck into the goalies chest or didn't even shoot for f&*k sakes. Same with Higgins. How many times can Saks set him up with him shooting it into the f^&kin corner. Saku has not been nearly as bad as you all make it sound, if he looks deflated maybe you should think about what's bumming him out.

As far as a couple of play-off series. Dude, one of them he came back from radiation therapy and played like a champion. It's a team game and it's unfortunate he hasn't had that in ten years. I'm not hanging on to nothing but what Saku has shown me. He is a Champion ....bottom line, and I hope Gainey and Carbo find him a partner because it would be lethal.

You trade Kovalev for Marleau, who in the hell would play his wing? Or Koivu's, for that matter, seeing the phenomenal success he's having with Ryder, Higgins, anybody?Ummmmmmmmm...........hmmmmmmmmm....aaaaaahhhhhh maybe the guy we trade him for? I'm all for reducing Koivu's minutes and getting a bone-fide 1st line centre, but to suggest Kovalev will be predictably dogging it and should be traded in advance is absurd. Iginla has had slumps, surely he's on the block. Datsyuk had a few difficult seasons, trade bait for sure. Kovalev's - and his lines - play is keeping us out of the cellar right now. Koivu's is not.

Yes, if it was down to Koivu or Kovalev getting traded? I would get rid of Kovalev. So if Iginla can slump and Datsyuk can slump why can't Koivu? Every player slumps, to predict Kovalev will have one of his moments is really not that absurd. The guy slumped for an entire year in 06/07, and was a dick about it. He simply rubs me the wrong way. What sucks the most about that is he will more likely then not do it again in the same manor. Sad but true.......

Maybe one day soon......but not yet. Geez, some in these forums are thinking it was too early for the "A" and I agree, here you are ready to engrave his name on the cup. You are not wrong, but you're not right either

Trying to build around him.......hmmmmmmmmm, Maybe that's the problem. We've brought nothing in to help him. Now might be a perfect time for that. He's getting older. Saku said it himself this summer and Bob Gainey has done nothing......Come on Gainey bring something in for Saks to work with and you will all see the captain he really is.

I've also heard Kovalev for Marleau rumours the past couple days...a lot more then the Halak, prospect, Begin rumour.

The Kovalev deal would also make more sense from a Salary Cap situation.

It would also make A LOT more sense for San Jose too.

I wonder if the Habs have called up S. Kosty to see how he handles the NHL and if he's ready in preparation to see if they want to make a Kovalev for Marleau deal in the next 2-3 weeks.

I'd trade Kovalev for a good return without any issue. All the HOMERS in this thread who think otherwise are likely the same guys who wanted him dealt last year. Kovalev is a stellar talent who needs to have a stellar C to succeed...which SJ would give him with Thornton.

As for Koivu...he's a solid 1B or stellar #2 C. As a #1 he's exposed without a top shelf winger...which the Habs don't have.

Anyone who thinks leadership and heart are easily replaceable needs to lace'em up and actually play a team sport. Is he tradeable? Yes. But it would take a lot to give him up IMHO...he has the same type of leadership intangibles that a guy like Sakic, Yzerman, Smyth have/had...sure, he's not as talented as Sakic/Yzerman but he's EASILY as talented, or more talented, then Smyth...

Anyone considered that a Kovalev for Marleau deal may be the prelude to another deal for a winger?? Or that it may be larger then just Kovalev for Marleau...

considering that Marleau has been struggling and has a pretty big contract, getting another player or pick in a deal (assuming the other team sends a roster player) would not be unthinkable.

BTW - does anybody think the recent success of Auld and Bryzgalov have made the goalie market better? These guys have shown that trading for goalies can help your team in a meaningful way.

Edited by simonus

The new rumour is Koivu + Ryder + prospect for Marleau and Bernier..... this is just a never ending circus

the only way this trade make sense is if koivu asked to be trade, if not i think this is a bad trade for us..if their a trade with sj i dont think this well be it..

The new rumour is Koivu + Ryder + prospect for Marleau and Bernier..... this is just a never ending circus

Depending on the prospect I may be less then enthusiastic about that deal...

Marleau IS more talented then Koivu but not by a crazy amount. I also don't see much difference between Bernier and Ryder...in fact, you could argue that Ryder is more valuable, enough even to justify not including a prospect.

I suppose that Marleau does have a french name though so I'm sure that will immediately bias much of the fanbase and media to justifying the deal.

But he is not from Quebec and can not speak french.

Yes, but most fans and media people are idiots and won't know that right away...

Yes, but most fans and media people are idiots and won't know that right away...

I remember the radio guys going back on forth on whether Aebischer was french or german swiss when that trade went down. It was completely absurd.