Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Who is Rhino? I don't recall anyone on this roster as being thought of as intimidating.

Only Moen and Pacioretty even throw body checks.

I hope Rhino isn't O'Byrne, he loses battles with players 5'7'' and 170 pounds

does anyone REALLY want to let go of PLEKS??? Another great performence. not sure if anyone's noticed, but he has quietly moved into the top 10 in league scoring. When was the last time the habs had a 10 ten scorer???

If gainey doesn't sign pleks or doesn't get a VERY good return for him, he deserves to be FIRED!

It is called selling high. Do not overvalue an asset after a 30-35 game stretch.

It is how Jason Blake ended up with a 5 year $4M per deal. Plekanec is 27 years old and has never averaged a PPG until

his UFA season. NOBODY on this board was talking about him in the dominant sense 3 months ago and we have all seen him

play for 4+ full seasons. Now all of a sudden people are not sure if they want to include him in a deal for Jeff Carter?

Two and a half months ago if somebody offered this same deal, everyone would have universally backed it.

Carter has been a PPG player at every level of hockey. He was a leader on a stacked World Junior team that was full

of stars including Crosby. He went direct from junior to the AHL playoffs and produced 23 pts in 21 games at the age of 20

as the Phantoms won the Calder Cup. He then entered the NHL 3 motnhs later and improved every season until an 84 point

breakout last year.

This is a no-brainer.

Edited by Wamsley01

It is called selling high. Do not overvalue an asset after a 30-35 game stretch.

It is how Jason Blake ended up with a 5 year $4M per deal. Plekanec is 27 years old and has never averaged a PPG until

his UFA season. NOBODY on this board was talking about him in the dominant sense 3 months ago and we have all seen him

play for 4+ full seasons. Now all of a sudden people are not sure if they want to include him in a deal for Jeff Carter?

Two and a half months ago if somebody offered this same deal, everyone would have universally backed it.

Carter has been a PPG player at every level of hockey. He was a leader on a stacked World Junior team that was full

of stars including Crosby. He went direct from junior to the AHL playoffs and produced 23 pts in 21 games at the age of 20

as the Phantoms won the Calder Cup. He then entered the NHL 3 motnhs later and improved every season until an 84 point

breakout last year.

This is a no-brainer.

Fantasy hockey syndrome. Player A has more points than Player B. Player A HAS to be better. Call me crazy, though, I don't expect Plex to get dealt.

Who is Rhino? I don't recall anyone on this roster as being thought of as intimidating.

Rhino is O'Byrne because of his name.

Ryan O'Byrne --> Rhino Burn --> Rhino

Carter has been a PPG player at every level of hockey.

He hasn't proven himself as a consistent PPG player at the NHL level any more than Plekanec has. I don't think you can expect 80 points from Carter every season.

Come on now Chris you're too hard on the guy! He actively stands up for his teamates, if he was throwing bodychecks left and right you'd be bitching about his defensive coverage...ala Komi.

The player to drop is clearly Laraque. He offers absolutely nothing to the team and frees up all the cap space we need to get out from using Price's bonus coushin. If he isn't in your starting 12 forwards, he's an anchor. And he's not in our starting 12.

The player to drop is clearly Laraque. He offers absolutely nothing to the team and frees up all the cap space we need to get out from using Price's bonus coushin. If he isn't in your starting 12 forwards, he's an anchor. And he's not in our starting 12.

At this point I'd rather have him than D'Ago. At least Laraque brings something to the table, albeit too rarely. D'Ago, at this point, doesn't bring much at all.

At this point I'd rather have him than D'Ago. At least Laraque brings something to the table, albeit too rarely. D'Ago, at this point, doesn't bring much at all.

You're talking crazy if you think BGL brings more. Plus D'Ago makes minimum wage, so it's not like having him be a press box regular is that big of a deal.

I would've dumped BGL as soon as he came back from his suspension.

Yea, we know you don't like Laraque but as others point out he does bring more to the table. He challenged The Islander D several times i forgot who after a bifg hit, it's not his fault know one will go with him.

Unfortunately with Lapierre (a waste this year) and a D man as a 4th line he doesn't get to forecheck and keep the puck low much.

Put him with a few players who know the 4th line role and he'll be fine.

He is the only tough guy they have,

I think Laraque's career is done. Nobody needs a fighter that can't/won't fight.

Maybe we can package him with Halak as their names rhyme.

Yea, like a checker who doesn't check, see lapierre.

Or a stripper who doesn't strip. Absolutely useless! And for 1.5 million dollars? We need him to GTFOutta here.

Lapierre and D'Agostini are what they are: marginal players making marginal salaries.

Laraque makes as much money as Moen and more than Gorges (and had Moen been out there, he'd have went after the Isles D as well). And the team has had a better record when he's hurt than when he's healthy since he came (not that I totally blame him for that, it just shows he either has a negative or, at best, no impact).

Laraque was once a legit player. He's damaged goods now. Lapierre and D'Agostini have at least some level of potential given their age. And combined, they make less than BGL.

It's more about keeping the better players (Sergei, MaxPac, Bergeron) in the lineup than it is about the player. Waiving/Trading D'Agostini doesn't get us the cap space we need. Hence, BGL is the most expendable player on the roster.

Sorry guys i just disagree, if you want to replace Laraque with another fighter i am fine with that.

But this team is incredibly soft, having some size and toughness is needed. Yes, Laraque does need to be more of a tough guy.

Rhino is O'Byrne because of his name.

Ryan O'Byrne --> Rhino Burn --> Rhino

He hasn't proven himself as a consistent PPG player at the NHL level any more than Plekanec has. I don't think you can expect 80 points from Carter every season.

To put it in perspective

Tomas Plekanec @ 24 years old

47 pts in 81 games

Jeff Carter @ 24 years old

84 pts in 82 games

NHL points @ 24 years old

Plekanec - 76pts in 150 games

Carter - 216 pts in 307 games

Spin it any way you want, but he has proven a hell of a lot more than Plekanec at the NHL level.

It would be an impressive statement of financial commitment by the Molsons if they allowed Laraque to be waived and stashed in the minors in the service of icing a more competitive team and freeing up cap space on the big squad. I can't see another team taking on his salary (although maybe on re-entry?) so this is probably the only way to do it.

We obviously need toughness on this team but is Laraque the answer? He is too old school, too nice, too polite. He does make life difficult for opposing defencemen sometimes but not often enough. It is time for him to retire.

Plekanec absolutely should be traded. His value is as high as it will get as a UFA right now. His performance this season has been outstanding but his career performance has not. I guess it is a decision between Plekanec coming into his true potential and a player who is having one amazing season. Wamsley's comparison between him and Blake is a perfect one. Can you imagine this board if Gainey signs him for 5 million and we get last year's Plex back?

We obviously need toughness on this team but is Laraque the answer? He is too old school, too nice, too polite. He does make life difficult for opposing defencemen sometimes but not often enough. It is time for him to retire.

Plekanec absolutely should be traded. His value is as high as it will get as a UFA right now. His performance this season has been outstanding but his career performance has not. I guess it is a decision between Plekanec coming into his true potential and a player who is having one amazing season. Wamsley's comparison between him and Blake is a perfect one. Can you imagine this board if Gainey signs him for 5 million and we get last year's Plex back?

On the other hand, can you imagine this board if we trade him and he gets 5 more consecutive 80-point campaigns? I am on the fence with this one, but this is another potential no-win for Gainey. Sign him and he flakes and Gainey should be toast. Trade him and he prospers and Gainey should be toast.

On the other hand, can you imagine this board if we trade him and he gets 5 more consecutive 80-point campaigns? I am on the fence with this one, but this is another potential no-win for Gainey. Sign him and he flakes and Gainey should be toast. Trade him and he prospers and Gainey should be toast.

That is the other side of the coin.

Plex is a great player just coming into it or a mediocre player having an awesome season. You are right though if we trade him and he puts up 90 points a season for the next 5 years then this board will explode!