Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

I would expect Bergevin to wait until closer to the trade deadline to make a move. I would be uneasy trading Lekhonen, but ok seeing Byron or Armia go. The team’s recent play has to have MB thinking about retaining Tatar and Danault so the money has to come from somewhere. 

Recent play is a dangerous thing ... OK to be thinking but too soon to be planning 

I see Lehkonen, Byron and Armia as somewhat interchangeable ... depending largely on stylistic preferences/needs ... of course Byron is both a a short&long-term cap issue, so it would be nice to dispose of him for that reason ... he is the only one for whom a trade impacts next season's cap planning ... Lehkonen is a pending RFA so can be retained if hate habs want ... Armia is a pending UFA but not likely to have teams fighting over him in a bidding war ... so if one of those two must be moved for cap/roster space this season the choice should (IMO) be hockey related not cap, what makes the team best THIS season 

31 Thoughts podcast had Chris Johnston on. He and Friedman think Bergevin will make one more trade for a defenseman, but didn't go into specifics of names (although the did mention that it is a sellers market for defensemen because of how so few names are available.)

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

31 Thoughts podcast had Chris Johnston on. He and Friedman think Bergevin will make one more trade for a defenseman, but didn't go into specifics of names (although the did mention that it is a sellers market for defensemen because of how so few names are available.)

Just read that Montreal might be interested in Ekholm, it also reported that they believe it will cost a 1st, one of Armia or Leks for cap space, and 2 prospects not named Caufield.

Seems a little steep for Ekholm, no?

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

Just read that Montreal might be interested in Ekholm, it also reported that they believe it will cost a 1st, one of Armia or Leks for cap space, and 2 prospects not named Caufield.

Seems a little steep for Ekholm, no?

Yes, and Ekholm might not even be available anymore. Nashville is on a bit of a tear right now in a division with a wide open playoff position available.

Not a player(s) specific rumour ... but:

Deadline Cap Space Financiers: The Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings and San Jose Sharks have all raised their hands as third-party trade brokers, willing to offer up cap space in exchange for assets in order to help facilitate deals - Frank Seravalli, TSN

San Jose and Chicago seem like possible destinations to move Armia or Lehkonen ... only Detroit seems like a potential spot for Byron, if MB is willing to pay enough

58 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not a player(s) specific rumour ... but:

Deadline Cap Space Financiers: The Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings and San Jose Sharks have all raised their hands as third-party trade brokers, willing to offer up cap space in exchange for assets in order to help facilitate deals - Frank Seravalli, TSN

San Jose and Chicago seem like possible destinations to move Armia or Lehkonen ... only Detroit seems like a potential spot for Byron, if MB is willing to pay enough

Both Armia (as a rental) and Lehkonen (who will be an RFA) should have some actual trade value, they are not just bad contracts that need to be dumped.

Just now, tomh009 said:

Both Armia (as a rental) and Lehkonen (who will be an RFA) should have some actual trade value, they are not just bad contracts that need to be dumped.

But in a flat-cap world the other team also must have space to take them on ... I intentionally selected "move" because I didn't mean "dump" ... 

9 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

CBJ’s Foligno rumoured you be on the market and Dregger saying he may fit in the Habs lineup

He is not what he once was ... since his last 20+ goal season (26 in 16/17) he has scored at a 16g/82gm pace ... THAT said ... I always disliked him in games against Habs not only for his skill but also a bit of an edge to his game ... would be a very nice addition ... he has a NMC & M-NTC (10 teams) ... but so did Staal ... for a few months he too might waive the NTC if Habs are on it ... $5.5 million cap-hit, but if they are dealing him, for the right price CBJs might well retain half of that.

I would propose Armia (for cap balancing purposes), 2021 2nd, 2021 4th and CBJ retaining 50% and work from there ... 

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He is not what he once was ... since his last 20+ goal season (26 in 16/17) he has scored at a 16g/82gm pace ... THAT said ... I always disliked him in games against Habs not only for his skill but also a bit of an edge to his game ... would be a very nice addition ... he has a NMC & M-NTC (10 teams) ... but so did Staal ... for a few months he too might waive the NTC if Habs are on it ... $5.5 million cap-hit, but if they are dealing him, for the right price CBJs might well retain half of that.

I would propose Armia (for cap balancing purposes), 2021 2nd, 2021 4th and CBJ retaining 50% and work from there ... 

If Armia is healthy. I am worried that he may be a "COVID-long" case (having post-COVID symptoms that stay a long time).

I would trade Lehkonen instead for Foligno to take his spot on the 4th line, and bump it up to a 2nd and 3rd in 2021 if CBJs retains 50% salary

A Foligno that can score a dozen goals and provide a more gritty play than Lehkonen would be great for the playoffs. Next year, one of the prospects in Laval can take his spot.

31 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If Armia is healthy. I am worried that he may be a "COVID-long" case (having post-COVID symptoms that stay a long time).

I would trade Lehkonen instead for Foligno to take his spot on the 4th line, and bump it up to a 2nd and 3rd in 2021 if CBJs retains 50% salary

A Foligno that can score a dozen goals and provide a more gritty play than Lehkonen would be great for the playoffs. Next year, one of the prospects in Laval can take his spot.

I would prefer to trade Armia precisely because he is still on the Covid list ... Habs will be without the player they acquire for 7 days ... no reason to be without an on-ice asset as well, if it can be avoided ... and since Armia would be included primarily for cap purposes, not necessarily as an asset going forward for CBJ, that Armia can't play is essentially a moot point.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think Foligno is an upgrade on Armia.  I'd just keep Armia.

I still think, even after Gallagher's injury, that the need is on defence. 

Agree on both points

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

... I still think, even after Gallagher's injury, that the need is on defence. 

Don't know that anyone would disagree ... but suspect there re few D available that would be a worthwhile upgrade ... so any improvement by trade may have to be a matter of the possible not the ideal

34 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't know that anyone would disagree ...

Of course i do! Biggest need is, has been, hasnt changed and still same for past 25yrs+, need an all-star/#1 line elite forward.

But, no rumours on that front and dont expect any in-season.

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Of course i do! Biggest need is, has been, hasnt changed and still same for past 25yrs+, need an all-star/#1 line elite forward.

But, no rumours on that front and dont expect any in-season.

Don't think we were discussing it in the cosmically BIGGEST context ... but ... Eichel is rumoured to be on the block in Buffalo this summer and at the ancient age of 25 come next season and five years of cap certainty (albeit at $10M) this may be the opportunity to try to get one at centre no less

I wonder what it would take to get RISTOLAINEN out of buffalo? 2 years left at 5.4mil is really good. Byron would have to be someone going back to make the cap work or one of Tatar or danault. 

But RISTOLAINEN would improve our back end very much.

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't think we were discussing it in the cosmically BIGGEST context ... but ... Eichel is rumoured to be on the block in Buffalo this summer and at the ancient age of 25 come next season and five years of cap certainty (albeit at $10M) this may be the opportunity to try to get one at centre no less

You can say goodbye to likely 2 of Caufield, Suzuki, KK or Romanov plus some picks at the very minimum for Eichel.

Just now, TurdBurglar said:

You can say goodbye to likely 2 of Caufield, Suzuki, KK or Romanov plus some picks at the very minimum for Eichel.

LOTS of time for those discussions after the playoffs

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

KK and Romanov? DONE ✔️ 

With a huge caveat that he needs a hard core physical exam. He might be damaged goods. His injury is worse than we think, I think

But top of game Eichel is a fierce forward better than anything we’ve seen in a long time. 

35 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

KK and Romanov? DONE ✔️ 

With a huge caveat that he needs a hard core physical exam. He might be damaged goods. His injury is worse than we think, I think

But top of game Eichel is a fierce forward better than anything we’ve seen in a long time. 

I would consider Romanov one of the untouchables.  We can’t trade away every decent defensive prospect we get.  One of Suzuki or KK, as Eichel would replace one of them.

I’ve stood by all along Caufield was a great NCAA player but hasn’t proved anything at a professional level.  I do honestly hope he proves me wrong in a Habs uniform, if he does I encourage you guys to quote me and i will gladly admit I was wrong.  Until then he isn’t untouchable to me.

32 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I would consider Romanov one of the untouchables.  We can’t trade away every decent defensive prospect we get.  One of Suzuki or KK, as Eichel would replace one of them.

I’ve stood by all along Caufield was a great NCAA player but hasn’t proved anything at a professional level.  I do honestly hope he proves me wrong in a Habs uniform, if he does I encourage you guys to quote me and i will gladly admit I was wrong.  Until then he isn’t untouchable to me.

I agree with the general sentiment about Caufield but when you have a player that is the top player of the whole league, you need to find out if he can play at that level in pro leagues. 

He might crap out or he might be a 50 goal sniper - we need to find out

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He might crap out or he might be a 50 goal sniper - we need to find out

The point is that a prospect, even a blue-chip premium prospect, has risk associated with him. If he's 80% likely to become an elite NHL player, for example, he will have less value than a player who already is elite at the NHL level.

At the moment I am not convinced that we would be able to get Eichel at any sort of reasonable price.

48 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The point is that a prospect, even a blue-chip premium prospect, has risk associated with him. If he's 80% likely to become an elite NHL player, for example, he will have less value than a player who already is elite at the NHL level.

At the moment I am not convinced that we would be able to get Eichel at any sort of reasonable price.

Danault, Caufield and a 1st draft pick? that two past 1st rounders and another 1st

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah I agree with this. 

I wouldn’t be against calling Caufield up to replace Gallagher. Let’s see what he’s got