Resignation of Bob Gainey

jrhabs

Flight of fancy...but I really wouldn't mind Pierre McGuire as a GM. I know gonna get blasted for this, but what Montreal has missed a lot of lately has been that sandpaper and grit, and McGuire seems big on it, a Montreal guy...can deal with the media.

I won't make fun of you cause I agree with you. I'd like to see McGuire as GM. I think he'd be perfect for the job!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the Patrick Roy rumours begin :-)

Do you think Montreal would consider Steve Yzerman.

Yzerman signed a deal with Detroit two years ago that effectively makes him unable to take a job with another team, at least that was my understanding.

Tallon is an interesting consideration. He definitely deserves another chance, and has a good rapport with players and managers league wide (aside from the Bowmans in Chicago :lol: ).

In that instance, the same model may yield the same result as Martin has GM experience.

all the better, maybe...

did he not hold double hat jobs with the Panthers?

I have a feeling he had alot to do with the Pouliot trade. JM and he, we all know, know each other from the region they come from and so on and so on.

He does know how to GM in a cap world and he know exactly what he needs on his team.

What the hey....

Let the Patrick Roy rumours begin :-)

Do you think Montreal would consider Steve Yzerman.

If they insist that the GM needs to speak French, he'd likely be eliminated from contention (I don't think he speaks French, though I may be wrong).

I am surprised at the timing. We are 4 days away from the Olympic trade freeze followed by 3 days until the NHL trade freeze.

I hope deals are not made in haste.

I'm suspecting it's not a 'true' resignation which would suggest that there's a move that could be made that Gainey didn't want to make. The job of an interim GM is to make things as rosy as possible for the new replacement (see Cliff Fletcher with Toronto). If that's the case, Gauthier may try and shed a couple of contracts.

Yea, at least Hartley won the stanley cup before. Martin is a solid veteran coach but his system is for Volkswagons to win and the players on the top 2 lines are sports cars. He has no grinders or pluggers to keep the lead with.

They also assembled the slowest defense in the league.

I just don't think the players, GM and JM are suited to play the same style.

Was Mcguire there the same time as Martin? If so, remember they stunk for years and drafting at the top for 5-6 straight years gave them alot of talent. Not sure I want to wait another 6 years, 15 was bad enough.

Yzerman signed a deal with Detroit two years ago that effectively makes him unable to take a job with another team, at least that was my understanding.

Tallon is an interesting consideration. He definitely deserves another chance, and has a good rapport with players and managers league wide (aside from the Bowmans in Chicago :lol: ).

no way on tallon, his the guy who sign hossa and forgot to sign his RFA

I told you so!

even if the Habs had won the Stanley cup, Gainey was planning to be heading off into the sunset...

and like I said before expect J.M to be GM and Perry Pearn to be HEad Coach while Guy Boucher goes another year in Hamilton. (cause that was the deal for J.M and Pearn to ditch their old clubs!)

Edited by CoRvInA

I'm not sure I'd wanna see Jacques Martin take on the dual roles as Head Coach and G.M.? Being a head coach in the NHL is a full time job, and you need to be concentrating on your players and the game plan.

Flight of fancy...but I really wouldn't mind Pierre McGuire as a GM. I know gonna get blasted for this, but what Montreal has missed a lot of lately has been that sandpaper and grit, and McGuire seems big on it, a Montreal guy...can deal with the media.

Pierre McGuire coached Geoff Molson. They've been friends since they went to Babson College together. Also St. Lawrence Unv

http://twitter.com/#search?q=Pierre%20McGuire

Let's hope they go thru a full-fledged interview process as opposed to knee-jerk promotion of Gauthier or Martin. I am also hoping that the process is less political then the hiring of the coach was - as long as that remains the case, we will always be relegated to second choices. Good luck to Gainey in his personal life, he deserves a little bit of privacy going forward.

As far as replacement, I am hoping we can do better then Gauthier. I'm not very high on Tallon either, but personally wouldn't mind one of the Savards coming back (Serge or Andre), though it's very unlikely. In the meantime, all bets are off as far as which direction this franchise may take now. I'm with the majority on the board, not very optimistic to say the least.....

Bet your ass that McGuire has been desperately calling for information on how to apply for the job! Tell ya what, if we're going to go with a new direction, I wouldn't at all be disappointed with that one. I mean, at the very least - even if he were to fail - we'll have a GM who can give soundbytes! LOL I've always liked McGuire.

Still, I'd bet a lot of money that Serge will be named. Gauthier is being given his "due" for being the good second citizen for the last while. Orders: shed salary like McGuire sheds hair!

Bet your ass that McGuire has been desperately calling for information on how to apply for the job! Tell ya what, if we're going to go with a new direction, I wouldn't at all be disappointed with that one. I mean, at the very least - even if he were to fail - we'll have a GM who can give soundbytes! LOL I've always liked McGuire.

Still, I'd bet a lot of money that Serge will be named. Gauthier is being given his "due" for being the good second citizen for the last while. Orders: shed salary like McGuire sheds hair!

I'd probably puke several times. Plus, I'm getting the job.

I can't say I didn't expect this. It's really unfortunate that injuries have played a large part in the team's issues in the last two years. I really hope Pierre Mcguire gets the job. He has a sharp hockey mind.

I like Bob Mckenzie's theory "Many will say he was pushed but there's no evidence I've seen to suggest that and, in fact, I do not believe that to be the case at all.

The most credible theory, and it's only that, based on conversations with those close to the Canadiens and Gainey, is that it really boils down to Gainey simply losing his appetite for the job and believing that he was likely not to return as GM after this season anyway."

Edited by BCHabnut

I hope this puts an end to the practise of allowing prospects to walk for nothing. The big question is the replacement long term. The timing is very suspicious. My best guess is that the selection of Mr. Price at #5 overall is finally coming home to roost.

McGuire would be a paaradigm shift in the line of sober low-key Habs GMs. He seems like a very well connected person with great knowledge on the prospects. He would probably fire J. Martin despite his contract though. McGuire as GM and Roy as coach would be a completely - I mean a c-o-m-p-l-e-t-e-l-y different type of duo then the tempered/morbid tone of Gainey-Martin..

Would be defenetly exciting. I doubt it will happen though, even though the connection between McGuire and the Molson is interesting.

They DO NOT need to force the issue on this goaltending decision.

At the end of the day, all I want is a Stanley Cup contender. I don’t care if it is Price or Halak in goal. What I want is to make sure they cross ALL their T’s and dot the i’s before they make that decision.

Right now, they haven’t done that. With the way Halak has played over the last 2 month, they need to hold onto both and gather more info before making a franchise altering decision.

The only way you trade Price is if a young superstar is coming back in return. I pray that the Habs do not make a Dion Phaneuf type deal like Sutter did.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=309453

Many will say he was pushed but there's no evidence I've seen to suggest that and, in fact, I do not believe that to be the case at all.

The most credible theory, and it's only that, based on conversations with those close to the Canadiens and Gainey, is that it really boils down to Gainey simply losing his appetite for the job and believing that he was likely not to return as GM after this season anyway.

And, rather than stay on for the balance of the season and perhaps make some significant moves prior to the trade deadline that his successor would have to live with, Gainey simply decided the right time for him to leave was now.

That's pretty much what I've been thinking.

McGuire would be a paaradigm shift in the line of sober low-key Habs GMs. He seems like a very well connected person with great knowledge on the prospects. He would probably fire J. Martin despite his contract though. McGuire as GM and Roy as coach would be a completely - I mean a c-o-m-p-l-e-t-e-l-y different type of duo then the tempered/morbid tone of Gainey-Martin..

Would be defenetly exciting. I doubt it will happen though, even though the connection between McGuire and the Molson is interesting.

As much as I like McGuire on TV, as much I think it would be a mistake to hire him with the Habs. He simply doesn't have what it takes.

Gainey's departure is a sad day for me. I have too much good memories of him as a player to have a negative opinion of him, even though I was not always positive on his decisions as a GM. Well, let's hope the best for this great habs as a retiree.

I suspect it has nothing to do with a disagreement on Price, Halak, or anyone else. No conspiracy is needed..

If Gainey decided he was done after this year, and now he sees his last ditch remake was not enough to move the team forward, then he knows some tough calls are needed coming into the trade deadline. Pleks, the goalies, who knows.

Gainey has enough class to say.. I am going to leave, so I shouldn't be the one doing this. If you want someone to sit down and make some long term decisions, then it is best I go now so you can have your long term GM at the trading deadline.

I highly doubt the ownership was pushing him to do X or Y. He is smart enough to know there are big decisions to be made and he is just plain tired of it.

I suspect it has nothing to do with a disagreement on Price, Halak, or anyone else. No conspiracy is needed..

If Gainey decided he was done after this year, and now he sees his last ditch remake was not enough to move the team forward, then he knows some tough calls are needed coming into the trade deadline. Pleks, the goalies, who knows.

Gainey has enough class to say.. I am going to leave, so I shouldn't be the one doing this. If you want someone to sit down and make some long term decisions, then it is best I go now so you can have your long term GM at the trading deadline.

I highly doubt the ownership was pushing him to do X or Y. He is smart enough to know there are big decisions to be made and he is just plain tired of it.

I think this is likely the case. What I will be watching for is for him to volenteer that he was not pushed that way and it had nothing to do with ownership. If he does not volenteer it, then it is a possibility. I don't know why, but I would really ike to see McGuire in htis position.