Leafs @ Habs GDT: April 10th, 2010

bar

Woo! PLAYOFFS!

But yeah, I am worried too a little about Halak. Didn't seem in control tonight and in the past week. In fact, when Price lost his chance against the Canes, it became clear that Halak was on the wheel til the end. Halak seems to have I little difficulty adjusting to this new situation. I am for giving Halak the net for all games whatever happen in the playoffs and let's judge the goalie situation after the playoffs.

Same for Plekanec. When comes signing time he'll be judged according to his performance in the playoffs, not so much on his 70 pts season. He seems extremely tired right now. Let's hope he can rest the next 4 days. When you think about it, Plekanec can earn a couple million $ only by his play the next 2-3 weeks. Good luck to him.

I am hoping for a Flyers win! Let's beat the Caps!!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am worried about Halak, the one thing that is telling so far is under pressure Halak has not faired well, last three games, olympics.

I wouldn't put a lot of weight on this particular game, though. As a goalie, this is the kind of game you hate: your team applies pressure for long time, you stand around and wait, and then there is a flurry of attack by the other team. You don't get into a rhythm, and it's easy to lose your focus.

I am worried about Halak, the one thing that is telling so far is under pressure Halak has not faired well, last three games, olympics. This might be good to know for Habs management before they mortage their future in Price on the weight of one good partial season for Halak.

The Bronze medal loss could hardly be pinned on him. His team totally let him down in the final period. Two powerplay goals, one was a 5-on-3 I believe. And while I am also worried by these last three games, let's not forget that just a week ago Halak put us in a safe position with back-to-back shutouts. These next two weeks could make or break his career. The Habs get shelled, the team probably goes back to Price as the number 1 next year. He plays well and he could cement his spot for a long time.

Edited by Fanpuck33

Can't say the Habs were very convincing and absolutely deserve to be in the playoffs, but then again, same can be said about, oooh, 11 of 15 teams in the East.

Anyway, about Halak and pressure. As much as I'm a fan of him, as much as I am as unsure as anyone about the way he'll handle the playoffs. He's never really been in those situations. However he got us there, and you'll never know unless you give him the opportunity. He's the kind of goalie who gets results because of hard work, not because of God-given talent; ie. he wont wow right from the start, but slowly work himself up to the task.

I agree with bar that negativity is a little over the top as a response to this particular game. Take the good as well as the bad. The Gomez line was truly elite tonight; perhaps this is not the moment to rag on their 'conversion rate,' then. No, we're not a great team, but we're not exactly a bad one either, and we have quite few likeable players. So let's chill out. We're in the playoffs! And just as tonight's game was a moment to drop all the cynicism and just root for the team, so is Game One. Save the 'I-knew-we-sucked-all-along' stuff for the post-mortems.

having said that, I disagree with bar about giving Halak two games. Uh-uh. If he stinks out even two consecutive periods, he should be yanked and replaced with Price. These are the playoffs, baby, not kindergarten. He's entitled to be in nets when the first playoff game starts. And not one iota more than that.

I thought 2 would be fair, but agreed...egos can be mended after the season, I don't suspect Halak will crap the bed, but last three game has not been stellar hockey from him.

I agree with bar that negativity is a little over the top as a response to this particular game. Take the good as well as the bad. The Gomez line was truly elite tonight; perhaps this is not the moment to rag on their 'conversion rate,' then. No, we're not a great team, but we're not exactly a bad one either, and we have quite few likeable players. So let's chill out. We're in the playoffs! And just as tonight's game was a moment to drop all the cynicism and just root for the team, so is Game One. Save the 'I-knew-we-sucked-all-along' stuff for the post-mortems.

having said that, I disagree with bar about giving Halak two games. Uh-uh. If he stinks out even two consecutive periods, he should be yanked and replaced with Price. These are the playoffs, baby, not kindergarten. He's entitled to be in nets when the first playoff game starts. And not one iota more than that.

Agreed

Umm, no clue why some of you think a Flyers win gives Habs NJ. :rolleyes:

Team GP W L OT PTS GF GA

x-Montreal 82 39 33 10 88 217 223

NY Rangers 81 38 33 10 86 221 216

I'm pretty sure if the Rags win the Habs will face Wash because they would be tied in W, L, T, and pts. The Rags dont need to score any goals in their last game to beat the Habs in any GF or GA tie breaker. If the Rags win they are clearly seeded higher than the Habs.

Sundays game matters not, either way the Habs will face the Ovechkins.

Philadelphia 81 40 35 6 86 234 224

In the event that the Habs and Flyers tie in points the Philly already beat the Habs in the 1st tie breaker, W's.

So how isnt their series determined yet? :lol:

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Guess its time to find out if the new guys are the ones that raise a lvl or two for the play offs. Ill remove all my favourite players for now and see what happens :D. Maybe even Hal Gill can become OBAR now.

Halak was not good but it was his outstanding performances that got us in, even if "by an eyelash". I hope it was just a bad game and not a pressure thing.

I was really happy to see Cammy look like the old Cammy in the third. He was flying hard and working his ass off.

Gomez is amazing at what he does and Gionta is a really special player. Gionta for captain.

Plex is a little girl. It doesn't help that AK is in his funk though. Too bad because when AK is on he can muscle the puck better than anyone.

Our defense is too fricken slow!

Buffalo or Washington please.

Umm, no clue why some of you think a Flyers win gives Habs NJ. :rolleyes:

Team GP W L OT PTS GF GA

x-Montreal 82 39 33 10 88 217 223

NY Rangers 81 38 33 10 86 221 216

I'm pretty sure if the Rags win the Habs will face Wash because they would be tied in W, L, T, and pts. The Rags dont need to score any goals in their last game to beat the Habs in any GF or GA tie breaker. If the Rags win they are clearly seeded higher than the Habs.

Sundays game matters not, either way the Habs will face the Ovechkins.

Philadelphia 81 40 35 6 86 234 224

In the event that the Habs and Flyers tie in points the Philly already beat the Habs in the 1st tie breaker, W's.

So how isnt their series determined yet? :lol:

First tie breaker is number of wins, they will be tied.

Second tie breaker is vs. record, montreal is 3-1, so they would get the nod.

First tie breaker is number of wins, they will be tied.

Second tie breaker is vs. record, montreal is 3-1, so they would get the nod.

Correct. Here are the scenarios:

Rangers win and Sabres win in regulation - we face Buffalo

Rangers win and New Jersey at least takes Buffalo to OT - we face New Jersey

Flyers win - we face Washington

Guess its time to find out if the new guys are the ones that raise a lvl or two for the play offs. Ill remove all my favourite players for now and see what happens :D. Maybe even Hal Gill can become OBAR now.

How do you change your 'favourite Habs,' anyway? I've still got Gainey on there... :rolleyes:

I'd prefer Washington over Buffalo. I dont want to face Ryan Miller. The Caps are a team that takes chances and makes mistakes; and since we hardly create our own scoring chances we have to prey on the other team's mistakes. Plus, we're an old/vets team and the Caps are a young team. We'd have better odds if it'd come to a psychological war.

I'd prefer Washington over Buffalo. I dont want to face Ryan Miller. The Caps are a team that takes chances and makes mistakes; and since we hardly create our own scoring chances we have to prey on the other team's mistakes. Plus, we're an old/vets team and the Caps are a young team. We'd have better odds if it'd come to a psychological war.

You think so? The Habs forget how to play hockey every other game.

How exciting. Backed in again. That's the way I like to win things - by backing into them rather than truly winning them because I'm the best.

Over the course of this season I've learned a lot from posters on here (as usual). One of the principal things I've come to realize is that Martin's days have passed him by. He's too rigid. I still believe he was the best hiring *at the time* and perhaps he was the element needed in the short-term to bring a little credibility to the Canadiens bench, but it's blatantly obvious that he's incapable of adaptation or of out-thinking opposition coaching. This team, on paper, can compete at a higher level with better adaptation - that's my belief.

While many have stated that he has no 'system,' I do whole heartedly disagree with this statement. He has a very fixed system, and under the right conditions, that system is potentially a winner. The problem is that his system is *so* fixed that if there's any deviation, it falls to pieces and he can't adapt it to the opposition he faces. More damning, though, is the fact that his system would seem to need players the Canadiens cannot ice. Rather than adapting to his personnel's strengths, he's trying to shove square pegs into round slots.

I think the most visible downfall of his strategy lies in the Canadiens defense. Puck possession relies on players able to maintain possession of the puck (duh), and other than Markov and, on occasion Hamr and Spacek (who is successful less and less by the game it seems) Montreal doesn't have real puck possession defenders. Martin's game is based on defense first, so preaching a puck possession game when the number one element in your strategy is incapable of participating is a clear indictment of his abilities as a modern, adaptable coach.

From all this, the major conclusion to which I have come is that this club will seemingly always be handcuffed to a degree.

Unfortunately, as other posters have eluded to and a couple have outright stated, the club is working from a severe disadvantage because of the francophone issue. I'm not interested in a debate on language issues, I only want to mention that because of this policy, the candidates for any position within the hierarchy are significantly limited. Any entity truly desiring success cannot limit itself to such a degree and honestly expect to compete year in and year out at the highest level. I'm not saying it can't happen, because of course there are highly qualified candidates out there. The stark reality is, though, that most of those men are employed elsewhere and it takes a degree of catching lightning in a bottle to place a rookie or unknown element in these high profile positions and expect immediate success. There's a lot of talk about Boucher on the farm; he seems great, but will his skills translate to the NHL? And if they don't?

In the end, I won't be watching any games this spring unless they get at least late into the second round. As much as I like a lot of the talent on the ice (Gomez, Cammi, Gionta, Markov, our goaltending), this team is entirely underwhelming and, frankly, disappointing on a night-to-night basis. This comes back to coaching, and from there ultimately to club direction, and I believe this to be a semi-permanent set of handcuffs.

Plus, and let's be honest here, we really don't deserve the playoffs after farting away the end of our season. It would have been better had we failed to make the show so that a more critical look would have been taken at Martin. Now he's practically assured the spot for next season. We had a great stretch then everyone decided they'd go into cruise control... again. Short of proving that we're more than this past couple of weeks would seem to indicate (IE a spot in the final four at least), I find I have better things to do with my life.

I'd say go Habs go, but really, I don't believe they deserve my support with this continual mediocrity. It's time, in my eyes, for the franchise to step up and act like they *really* want to win.

Ouf! it was not easy. Some guys (many sportswriters actually) thought that we had not a chance back in January and now they say that we don't deserve it. The hell with it! I mean, the Habs are certainly not a big contender, but given the injuries, the new coach, the new players, they have done as good a job as the Bruins, the Flyers or the Rangers. They deserve to be there as much as them. It was not easy with teams like Carolina, New York Islanders and even the Toronto Maple Leafs playing a lot better than the numbers show at the end of the season.

Yes, the Habs have done it. And let's face it, nobody sees them in the quarter finals, but who knows? they could make a surprise.

Let's root for our team!

Go! Habs go!

(BTW, Gomez, Pouliot and Cammalleri played very well yesterday. Gomez is definitely our best center. Plekanec is a good 2nd, but no way he deserves more than $4 million per year. Pouliot looks a lot better when he keeps the puck a little longer. I don't know if it's because he is intimidated by Gomez and Gionta, but he tends to pass them the puck a little too soon sometimes. He's got the talent to shoot and score and should do it more often.)

Edited by JCPetit

Call me a blindfolded fan or a loser for bringing out the injury excuse, but 20 more games of Markov and Cammi would have clinched us a playoffs spot a week ago.

I dont get it how can we finish 7th? we can't do any better than 8th, regardless who wins between Rags and Cream cheese... if rags Rags finish with 88 they have the same number of wins but edge us in goal differential

7 Montréal 82 39 33 10 88 217 223 -6 20-16-5 19-17-5 3-4-3 3D

8 Philadelph 81 40 35 6 86 234 224 +10 23-14-3 17-21-3 3-6-1 1D

9 New York 81 38 33 10 86 221 216 +5 18-17-6 20-16-4 7-2-1

I dont get it how can we finish 7th? we can't do any better than 8th, regardless who wins between Rags and Cream cheese... if rags Rags finish with 88 they have the same number of wins but edge us in goal differential

Goal differential is the last tie-breaker, the season series (which we won 3-1) is the third tie-breaker.

* - Division leaders are seeded 1, 2, and 3 in Conference standings. If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

The greater number of games won.

The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.

Haha this has been explained like 4-5 times above...people need reading lessons -_-.