Sergei to Nashville

JoeLassister

"He said he'd have no problem moving from a smaller market like Nashville to hockey-crazy Montreal and even mentioned a scenario where he could work with a young goalie like Price, or Antti Niemi in Chicago as something he'd embrace.

'I'm looking at complement-type positions,' he said."

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Grind...e#ixzz0sHzj0QvW

This article says he'd want "less than 3M" per year, which probably means about 2.5 like I guessed. I feel like both players will be signed, Boyd for something similar to what Eller and Pouliot are making (a bit over 1M).

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure we won this trade. Lots of people are down are Sergei but I still think he is the probably the best player among the three. Martin doesn't like him and handled him badly so I guess we had to get rid of him. But I think it will take two years before we know whether we got the short end of the stick on this deal.

Sergei handled himself badly. What was Martin supposed to do, reward him for a poor attitude and pretty poor play?

Besides, I don't even think he's as talented a player as people say. His skills with the puck are no better than Metropolit's IMO.

Dan Ellis could probably get a decent chunk of change on the UFA market. But it's tough to read that market right now... who knows.

Boyd's faceoff stats aren't that good on further inspection. He was at 58.1% in his short stint in Nashville, but in Calgary he was at 49%, which was a much larger sample. He was 45% the year prior in Calgary. He might be improving, I suppose, but there's no reason to think we've got our faceoff ace now.

Sergei handled himself badly. What was Martin supposed to do, reward him for a poor attitude and pretty poor play?

Besides, I don't even think he's as talented a player as people say. His skills with the puck are no better than Metropolit's IMO.

Sure Sergei handled himself badly. But the Habs handled him badly too. The difference is that an experienced coach should be able to deal with an immature player. Sergei has a lot of talent - he has the skill set to be a top 6 forward. He is capable of playing with grit. He regressed under Martin but still was quite good defensively.

You ask "what was Martin supposed to do?" The answer is that Martin was supposed to teach him how to play in the NHL. Sergei has the skills and Martin failed to mold him into a player. What he did intead was drive him out of town. It's easy to say that its Sergei fault but there is no question Martin failed with him. We will see how the Predators do. I'm pretty sure Sergei has the makeup to be a good player. The coach's job is to develop that potential.

I would have taken a bag of pucks and a punch to the nuts to get rid of SK... so this is all good, great if we can sign them.

The next questions is.. does AK get his act together now that SK is out of his hair, or is he the next guy to go...

I would have prefered that they traded andrei Kost. rather than Sergei Kost. Sergei has a lot more fire than his brother Andrei and with a bit more time to mature and grow up I believe that Sergei would be a top 6 forward. As for Andrei he plays brain dead! I hope we can now also get rid of that floater.

Sure Sergei handled himself badly. But the Habs handled him badly too. The difference is that an experienced coach should be able to deal with an immature player. Sergei has a lot of talent - he has the skill set to be a top 6 forward. He is capable of playing with grit. He regressed under Martin but still was quite good defensively.

You ask "what was Martin supposed to do?" The answer is that Martin was supposed to teach him how to play in the NHL. Sergei has the skills and Martin failed to mold him into a player. What he did intead was drive him out of town. It's easy to say that its Sergei fault but there is no question Martin failed with him. We will see how the Predators do. I'm pretty sure Sergei has the makeup to be a good player. The coach's job is to develop that potential.

Well, firstly, I don't think Sergei is a good player. I wonder whether having a horrible attitude has actually increased his value because, being an offensive-minded European and the brother of a highly-talented forward, people started to think "he's immature but he can be a really good hockey player." Not only is he immature but I think he's a worse player than Tom Pyatt or pretty much anyone else on our roster.

Ideally, Martin can "cure" Sergei and get the most out of him but I can't blame him for SK's behavior. Martin gave him plenty of chances and all of them were blown. The comments he just made to the Russian reporter just sealed the deal and proved that this isn't a guy we want on our team. At some point the player has to be held accountable for being a total douche and blowing every undeserved chance that the coaching staff handed to him. He isn't a Ribeiro, not even a Grabovski, he's a Georges Laraque. A cancer with limited upside as a hockey player. I think this is a case of leading a horse to water but not being able to make him drink. Also a case of fans overrating a late round pick because he had a quick start with the team (same for D'Agostini, Higgins and others).

He has some talent, no question. But his previous coaches in Hamilton expressed surprise at his work ethic in his NHL rookie season - a warning flag if you ask me - and Kostitsyn was reassigned to Hamilton under Carbo as well, not just JM. Then he showed up to camp out of shape and lackadaisical and demanded a trade after being sent down; following this he alienated his teammates, then slagged both them and Habs management in the press. This guy is toxic waste.

I see no reason to blame JM that Sergei is an a**hole.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Sounds like a good deal to me. Didnt give up much in the way of Sergei Kostitsyn but got potentially two good players in return if we are able to sign them. Even if we arent able to sign them its not much of a loss............

If Sergei scores 20 goals with Nashville, and we don't sign these two, I won't like it. Why would Ellis not go UFA anyway? and test the waters. I may be in the minority on this, but I'm not thrilled with the way Sergei was handled. I really don't care about his attitude, he wanted to play, and had his ice-time played with constantly. This could be another Ribeiro and Latendresse situation.

Edited by Habsy

Agreed. What is the basis for blaming Martin? SK's a pain in the butt, Martin responds accordingly, SK remains a pain in the butt, so Martin's to blame? Huh?

If Sergei scores 20 goals with Nashville, and we don't sign these two, I won't like it. Why would Ellis not go UFA anyway? and test the waters. I may be in the minority on this, but I'm not thrilled with the way Sergei was handled. I really don't care about his attitude, he wanted to play, and had his ice-time played with constantly. This could be another Ribeiro and Latendresse situation.

While that's quite true potentially, sometimes it IS the trading itslef that wakes them up. They'd keep up the old pattern here. I was very happy to see Ribeiro go and didn't miss Lats one bit. I'm still thrilled that Ryder's gone. Responding with ice time is the primary tool of a coach and how he establishes his discipline. Ice time is a privelege, not a right.

Real good move if they sign both. A good deal if they only sign Boyd. Getting rid of bad attitudes is the way of the new habs. I must say it's about time.

As someone else pointed out, Montreal is slowly becoming a team that people will go to rather then being ignored.

If both players sign this is the team barring any trades.

I guess AK46 gets one more chance without his brother.

Pouliot Gomez Gionta

Ak46 Pleks Cammi

Moen Eller Lapierre

Pyatt Boyd White

Darche

Hamrlik Subban

Spacek O'Byrne

Gill Gorges

Carle

Price Ellis

I like the moves so far, the team is younger, bigger, faster and grittier. Nice work PG. Hopefully you'll get those 2 signed quickly.

Ellis seems to be the answer to the goalie question. He wants to sign here, wants to be a mentor-type for Price and wants to do it for under 3mil. On top of that, he's actually one of the better goalies hitting the market who can win us some games. As for Boyd, he's a throw-in, but we all know Habs have had great luck with throw-ins. On top of that, maybe Andrei will wake up again. I'm not too sure about this, but am I the only one remembering Andrei playing his best hockey while his brother wasn't around?

When all is said and done, I think we will end up missing Metro though. Boyd is younger, stronger and faster, but Metro had silky smooth hands and could score goals. Guys like Moen and Lapierre are going to have to pick up some of that slack.

Edited by ForumGhost

a good player who is a cancer in the locker room is still a cancer even if he score 20 goals per season. attitude does play a strong part in team success. SK gone is a positive development.

On top of that, maybe Andrei will wake up again. I'm not too sure about this, but am I the only one remembering Andrei playing his best hockey while his brother wasn't around?

I might be wrong, but the way I remember it is that Andrei played better with his brother around. And even better when they were on the same line.

I might be wrong, but the way I remember it is that Andrei played better with his brother around. And even better when they were on the same line.

That's how I remember it too. It may have been irrelevant to his brother at that time though, and he only played poorly when his brother was being mistreated and he was pouting. Now that Sergei is gone heres hoping he can play some distraction free hockey.

Ellis seems to be the answer to the goalie question. He wants to sign here, wants to be a mentor-type for Price and wants to do it for under 3mil. On top of that, he's actually one of the better goalies hitting the market who can win us some games. As for Boyd, he's a throw-in, but we all know Habs have had great luck with throw-ins. On top of that, maybe Andrei will wake up again. I'm not too sure about this, but am I the only one remembering Andrei playing his best hockey while his brother wasn't around?

When all is said and done, I think we will end up missing Metro though. Boyd is younger, stronger and faster, but Metro had silky smooth hands and could score goals. Guys like Moen and Lapierre are going to have to pick up some of that slack.

It's probably a good move on Ellis' part. He realizes that he will never carry a team, so instead of fighting to split ice time with another journeyman on a mediocre team he wants to get his fingerprints all over a potential up and coming star. He will earn more respect as the goalie who developed Price than as the goalie who started half a season in Nashville a few years ago.