Injury news

Commandant

9 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Players often feel like they are able to return but often end up with a hip or groin injury because they are over compensating from the original injury.  It makes sense to keep him out until he's absolutely 100% ready.

Let's not make him into the next Sean Monahan.

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if he played this season given there is nothing to play for.

That said some light skating is probably good to start rebuilding his muscles that he hasnt used in months.

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

I would be very surprised if he played this season given there is nothing to play for.

That said some light skating is probably good to start rebuilding his muscles that he hasnt used in months.

I think his case is like Dvorak's where the surgeon wouldn't do the procedure unless they promised to not rush him back.  In Dach's case, that would have him sitting the full season and most of the playoffs (which clearly isn't happening for Montreal anyway).

There is a huge difference in timeline, pending which procedure was used to fix both ligaments

-Double grafted semi tendinosis 

-double grafted  patella tendon

- cadaver 

If the cadaver was used in the procedure and given his young age.... 8 months to return isn't out of the question. I would expect he would wear a ortho brace to start.

The semi tendinosis provides best results  although hardest rehab,  and comes with added hamstring issues.

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

8 months to return isn't out of the question. I would expect he would wear a ortho brace to start.

No reason to have him even participate in a full practice until training camp.

14 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

There is a huge difference in timeline, pending which procedure was used to fix both ligaments

-Double grafted semi tendinosis 

-double grafted  patella tendon

- cadaver 

If the cadaver was used in the procedure and given his young age.... 8 months to return isn't out of the question. I would expect he would wear a ortho brace to start.

The semi tendinosis provides best results  although hardest rehab,  and comes with added hamstring issues.

I was thinking the same thing. Actually not, your medical knowledge is obviously far superior to mine. I will take your word for it. Just hope he recovers fully. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

No reason to have him even participate in a full practice until training camp.

sane here, let’s hope they do not let them play to collect more $money$

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

They won't collect more money.  The ticket sales of Dach playing vs not playing are virtually the same. 

Nobody wants him participating in full practice until next season ( i surely dont). But, light skating on his own, to activate his quads, cycling for his hams, etc, to combat muscle atrophy will only help. As long as he's wearing his brace to avoid any twists, etc.

He's over 4 months post-op, so he's almost there, if not already with fullbone growth around the pins holding his new ligaments in place. That's the biggest hurdle really. Odds of him re-tearing after ligamentization vs tearing it out of the bone before bone growth and fusion of pins /bones is much lower.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He gets full salary on LTIR and since he is out of his ELC (and not on a 35+ contract) he has no bonuses.

Concussion was saturday.  This is 6 days later.  This isnt a wow, this is the normal course for a mild concussion.

You do some light skating and physical activity.  If you get dizzy or throw up or have other symptoms you stop and rest a few days.  If you dont have symptoms, you do a little more each day until fully cleared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Concussion was saturday.  This is 6 days later.  This isnt a wow, this is the normal course for a mild concussion.

I think the wow element is that this might wind up being a mild concussion.  When he was skating off the ice following the hit, he didn't look like a player who was dealing with a mild concussion but rather a longer-term one.  I certainly didn't expect to hear that he was at that point of the recovery already.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I think the wow element is that this might wind up being a mild concussion.  When he was skating off the ice following the hit, he didn't look like a player who was dealing with a mild concussion but rather a longer-term one.  I certainly didn't expect to hear that he was at that point of the recovery already.

It MIGHT well wind up being a mild concussion ... the real indicator of its' severity will be when next he skates ... as @Commandant explained, a physical test is a normal part of the process once symptoms subside ... but if there is any recurrence of symptoms the process starts over.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Exactly.  For me, it was how Harris' head was smashed into the boards and then bounced off the ice when he fell.  When he attempted to get up he fell down twice and was unable to get to his feet on his own.  Then, 2 players had to help him get up and over to the bench.  Personally, that didn't suggest to me that it was a mild concussion or that he might be back soon.

55 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Exactly.  For me, it was how Harris' head was smashed into the boards and then bounced off the ice when he fell.  When he attempted to get up he fell down twice and was unable to get to his feet on his own.  Then, 2 players had to help him get up and over to the bench.  Personally, that didn't suggest to me that it was a mild concussion or that he might be back soon.

this is not the first time he gests smashed on the boards, multiple concussion effects tend to linger. I hope he recovers fully before returning and not rush a come back, There is no point in taking chances.

30 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

He's still not expected to play a game this season, but he's started skating.

Bodes well that there is no consideration of him playing again this season AND that his rehab has progressed to this point ... the summer should hopefully be getting to 100% physical readiness rather than just rehabbing the specific injury.

The new "Wolverine", or maybe "Deadpool"

He seems to have some hope he might play again this season ... but is also smart enough to admit, when asked, that playing in the World Champoionships (obviously the unlikely event he were invited) would not be a smart idea.

PLEASE tell me the Habs won't let him do either, no matter what.

But he seems to be handling it all fairly well, using it as a learning opportunity.

Harris is back from his second concussion, is available for tomorrow’s game

Dach now skating with full equipment on ... expect he may well participate (non-contact) in full practices in the near-ish future ... but don't expect they will let him dress for a game this season.