Who would you pick as a long term coach?

Kaboom

If you have hundreds of millions of dollars invested in the team, it isn't a sport, some playful competitive activity we like to watch for fun - it's a business. Having a French coach keeps good business relations with much of Molson's target audience. Molson doesn't want to gamble millions on hiring a coach that is only more likely to make Montreal a top team. Pretty much every owner will feel the same way.

I wasn't looking at it from molson's point of few but as a hockey fan. I am sure there are a lot of french speaking people in montreal that don't give a rats ass about a french speaking coach but rather want their team to win. You could say maybe the english speaking people take offence to the it has to be a french speaking coach. It really is a stupid issue and has nothing to do with hockey or history or religion. The best person for the job!!!!!!. Would toronto fans get mad if the coach was french speaking only but was a great coach?

I was born and raised in Montreal, an anglophone who has been a Habs fan for 50 years and have lived in Ontario for the past 20 years and subscribed to RDS the whole time, only so I could watch my team. In light of all that has gone over the past 30 years in Quebec I think it was a foolish, not well thought out plan to fire Martin and replace him with an english only coach. It's not Randy Cunneyworth's fault, he is who he is. But Gauthier has put himself, his coach and the team in a very difficult, controversial place, and one that I think has little chance of success unless a miracle occurs and the team starts to turn around it's so far disappointing season. Pierre Gauthier should have known better.

In my opinion, anyone who has any history of the Canadiens and Quebec, knowing the ever-present and up till now seeminly weakening separatist movement with it's concern over the french language being diminished, and knowing the possibility of another NHL team relocating in Quebec city, should have known that this city needs, must have, a coach who is fluent in both english and french. The Toronto media would never accept a coach of the Leafs they couldn't interview and get quotes from. It just wouldn't happen. It's common sense.

Solution: 3 options.

1. Pierre Gauthier and Geoff Molson put up with this growing angry backlash against a foolish decision till the end of the season which means being willing, and forcing others to be willing, to put up with a ton of scrutiny and criticism. Bad choice.

2. In order to quell the storm they put Cunneyworth [as much for his sake as well] back as an assistant and bring in an interim french/english speaking coach.

3. They not wait till the end of the season, but appoint a new head coach sooner rather than later.

My choices in order of preference:

1. Alain Vigneault [under contract-not available. Would it be worth a call to see if he or Boucher

could be freed up?? Trade??].

2. Guy Boucher [under contract-not available].

3. Guy Carbonneau. If I remember our team finished in first place with him as coach and he was a

finalist for coach of the year. When he was fired he had won the previous 5 of 7??

4. Final three choices which to me are not the best for different reasons: Bob Harley, Marc Crawford, Patrick

Roy.

1. Alain Vigneault [under contract-not available. Would it be worth a call to see if he or Boucher

could be freed up?? Trade??].

Trading for a coach is no longer permitted under the CBA. The Habs would have to wait until he was to be fired, something I don't see coming during the season.

My choices for permanent coach of the team will never include :

Mark Crawford

Bob Hartley (not even interim)

Any former Habs coach

McGuire or anyone working for any medias full time

My choices for interim would include :

Lemaire

Crawford

That's about it

My choices for permanent new coach :

Patrick Roy

Benoit Groulx

That's about it

The more time that passes and if the Bolts finish anywhere but in the top 8 I believe Boucher will be fired.

I think if that happens he is the next head coach for sure.

But what scares me is that he plays a 1-3-1 with Marty Stamkos and Vinny.

Imagine what he would do with the garbage forwards the habs have.

The more time that passes and if the Bolts finish anywhere but in the top 8 I believe Boucher will be fired.

It doesn't matter, he is the greatest coaching genius of all time and the second coming of Jesus Christ to boot. Plus his scar kicks ass.

• Upvote 1

Boucher's issue is the lightning have no goaltending. If Martin and the habs had the Lightnings goalies we would be in 15th place in the conference. I'd love it if he got fired or had an out clause, but I won't be holding my breath.

Seriously???? have you seen a Lightnings game even??? Have you seen just how bad their goalies have been??????

It doesn't matter, he is the greatest coaching genius of all time and the second coming of Jesus Christ to boot. Plus his scar kicks ass.

Had a chance to hear Dany Dube tonight on the radio, who's of course, with the team in Chicago. Seems like a lot of positive stuff happening. It takes time to implement a new system, but so far the players like it. Mathieu Darche said it was more enjoyable to play. It's a roll 4 lines, up tempo, more aggressive style. You can be sure that Cunneyworth is going to work his ass off, and try to succeed. Even if it's only an interim gig.

I have to believe that Martin bought time because he could speak French. We heard many posters talk about keeping Martin on because there was no one to replace him. In the hiring and firing of a coach you need to add the element of that you may not be able to easily get rid of your French coach when it becomes time.

I think it's fair to say that Cunneyworth needs to make the playoffs and maybe win a round to even be considered coach for next year. Those are some unfair high expectations, but seemingly the way it is. Assuming that doesn't happen and he gets fired, my first choice for replacing him would be Patrick Roy. Yes I know, another rookie head coach. But this rookie head coach is different from all the others.

He has the passion that I believe is required to get this group going.

He would get in the face of someone who missed an assignment, being brutally honest.

Imagine the excitement of Roy returning to Montreal !!

His presence would probably help develop Price to the next level.

His sound bytes alone would be worth it.

By accepting the coaching job, it would reverse the curse of St. Patrick

He can speak FRENCH! So we don't have to listen to the media talk about it anymore.

He has been coaching for 6 years now and has done a great job.

He could potentially fight the other team's coach.

He simply wins at everything.

I do however think that it's a high risk/high reward choice for coach, it could be amazing or a train wreck. But I would rather go for it than continue to be a middle of the pack team. If it fails, then you go into rebuild mode.

After seeing that game in Tampa against Philly, I can honestly say that hiring Boucher might be one of the lowest points in Habs history. I hope to never find out if I'm wrong.

I spent a few months in rural Quebec recently, in a small town where French was the only language. I am English and the only French I knew were basic words learned from classes in grade school in the 90's. In my experience, I can assure you that it is very much appreciated when an anglophone shows an effort to try to converse in French. It is not so much the actual words spoken, it is the acknowledgment and understanding of their culture. Quebecers are very proud of their province, more so than any other in Canada imo(Newfoundland is a close second). So in my opinion, I believe an anglophone could be successful in Montreal as long as they made an effort to learn the language.

I watch a lot of hockey on RDS and I have french 11 in highschool in BC. I can follow about 60% of what is being said. At first it was just one or two words revealing themselves, but I slowly started hearing words over and over, so I either looked them up or figured it out based on what was happening. It was really fun. I thought I had a descent grasp on the language until I went to Montreal and tried to communicate in French. It was almost impossible. This is a daunting task and is not easy.

The people that I tried to talk French with seemed very happy and helpful with me because I was putting this effort in. It is not just the language. It is the culture which is defined by the language. I believe you are right. If the coach could muddle through a few phrases, they would eat it up and love it.

We don't understand it, but we weren't raised there.

Had a chance to hear Dany Dube tonight on the radio, who's of course, with the team in Chicago. Seems like a lot of positive stuff happening. It takes time to implement a new system, but so far the players like it. Mathieu Darche said it was more enjoyable to play. It's a roll 4 lines, up tempo, more aggressive style. You can be sure that Cunneyworth is going to work his ass off, and try to succeed. Even if it's only an interim gig.

I liked what I read so far about what Cunney wants to change. I believe that four fresh lines will help this team. Martin shortened the bench so often that the other players must have been getting wore down fast. I just really hope that the defense can improve. They seem lost and end up puck chasing. They never anticipate what the forwards will do and kill the play. As Dryden said, the game is a series of patterns. The players should be able to anticipate this and go where the puck is going, as Walter Gretzky said.

I am willing to give Cunney 10 or 15 games to see what he can do with this team. If Gomez, Eller and Gionta can re ignite, Cammie Kosty and Plek find their old groove, and DD Pac and Cole continue to dominate shifts, this team looks a lot better. At least they have the Cole line now to break into other team's defense.

Alot of speculation last night that that franco coach may be available very shortly if/when Boucher is fired.

I guess if that is what you want lets hope the bolts get crushed like they did last night 7-2 to the Sharks a few more times.

Bolts have only won 4 of last 12 games incidentally the same amount the Habs won in 12 tries with Martin.

What I want.......no. What this Province wants....yes.

If it was up to me I would extend a hand to Randy Carlyle right now but Molson has already said the next coach will be bilingual so we know that's not going to happen. Like down to Jodoin, Roy, Hartley and perhaps Crawford who speaks franglais.

What I want.......no. What this Province wants....yes.

If it was up to me I would extend a hand to Randy Carlyle right now but Molson has already said the next coach will be bilingual so we know that's not going to happen. Like down to Jodoin, Roy, Hartley and perhaps Crawford who speaks franglais.

Carlyle would be my choice of the available coaches as well.

Carlyle would be my choice of the available coaches as well.

Problem is that it is almost 100% guaranteed that it would not be him. Being the best available is not relevant here it is being the best among those who can speak french.

• Upvote 1

I watch a lot of hockey on RDS and I have french 11 in highschool in BC. I can follow about 60% of what is being said. At first it was just one or two words revealing themselves, but I slowly started hearing words over and over, so I either looked them up or figured it out based on what was happening. It was really fun. I thought I had a descent grasp on the language until I went to Montreal and tried to communicate in French. It was almost impossible. This is a daunting task and is not easy.

The people that I tried to talk French with seemed very happy and helpful with me because I was putting this effort in. It is not just the language. It is the culture which is defined by the language. I believe you are right. If the coach could muddle through a few phrases, they would eat it up and love it.

We don't understand it, but we weren't raised there.

I barely speak french at all..I can regonize words that are similar to english, or through process of elimination or repetition, so I order RDS so I pay $4/month vs. $30 for centre-ice haha.