Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

28 minutes ago, skifaster said:

I've seen Hutson play live.  I think it would be in his best interests to stay at BU another year and get a little bigger.

Think Hughes has him signed days after NCAA season is over, but another year in NCAA playing fewer games and more time in gym through the winter, likely wouldnt hurt his development in long run.

Struble seems to of matured well in NCAA and has surprised me (and most i think?) this year for sure.

Love seeing Struble & Guhle showing their physical side .... BUT; Xhekaj, Guhle, Struble, Hutson is 1 too many.

Which will be dealt in 2024? 

How valued would Hutson be to other GMs?

(not saying i want any of the 4 dealt, but is there a team with a need for a young LH-d and has extra young forward to swap)

29 minutes ago, skifaster said:

I've seen Hutson play live.  I think it would be in his best interests to stay at BU another year and get a little bigger.

I agree ... the $64,000 Question is whether he realizes that/agrees or wants to sign a pro contract and start getting paid.

43 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... the $64,000 Question is whether he realizes that/agrees or wants to sign a pro contract and start getting paid.

I may have missed it in previous posts, by why $64k ? Why not the $765k question?

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Love seeing Struble & Guhle showing their physical side .... BUT; Xhekaj, Guhle, Struble, Hutson is 1 too many.

Which will be dealt in 2024? 

Maybe none.  If there has to be a choice, it really comes down to Xhekaj, who management has already doubled down on keeping, and Struble, who is a pleasant surprise.  With that there are always questions.  

Is management proclaiming how much they want to keep Xhekaj to drive his value up? 

Is there really much more of a ceiling to Struble’s game?  Or even Xhekaj’s for that matter?

If either of these players are at or near their ceiling, they aren’t going to cost a fortune, so wouldn’t they make great 7th D?

Does anyone firmly believe Struble or Xhekaj are a lock for bottom pair on a good team, assuming Guhle and Hutson develop into good/great LD for the first 2 defensive pairs?

18 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I may have missed it in previous posts, by why $64k ? Why not the $765k question?

I'm old ... not quite this old ... but close
image.png

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Maybe none.  If there has to be a choice, it really comes down to Xhekaj, who management has already doubled down on keeping, and Struble, who is a pleasant surprise.  With that there are always questions.  

Is management proclaiming how much they want to keep Xhekaj to drive his value up? 

Is there really much more of a ceiling to Struble’s game?  Or even Xhekaj’s for that matter?

If either of these players are at or near their ceiling, they aren’t going to cost a fortune, so wouldn’t they make great 7th D?

Does anyone firmly believe Struble or Xhekaj are a lock for bottom pair on a good team, assuming Guhle and Hutson develop into good/great LD for the first 2 defensive pairs?

I haven't checked TOI for these three (Struble, Harris, Xhekaj) lately, but to me: whoever can effectively play over 18min a game and provide some offence is a lock on  the second pair. If Hutson it is, then great, but he is far from reaching that level. In the meantime we have Matheson to eat LD minutes.

At this moment I consider Struble, Harris, Xhekaj as trade chip like Romanov was. Whoever ca get the return the Habs need to improve the forwards, that is whom should be traded.

This would give the Flyers more than enough to take on Jake Allen's contract without any salary retained ... and with Carter Hart's status for next season unknown at this point (i.e., with criminal charges filed will the NHL register any contracts that the four NHLers sign this summer, they are pending RFAs, or impose significant suspensions if contracts are approved) they might not be averse to his having a year remaining on his contract ... personally, I would expect little in return at this point, other than resolving the three-goalie situation.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

This would give the Flyers more than enough to take on Jake Allen's contract without any salary retained ... and with Carter Hart's status for next season unknown at this point (i.e., with criminal charges filed will the NHL register any contracts that the four NHLers sign this summer, they are pending RFAs, or impose significant suspensions if contracts are approved) they might not be averse to his having a year remaining on his contract ... personally, I would expect little in return at this point, other than resolving the three-goalie situation.

I would be happy with someone like Noah Cates:

https://lastwordonsports.com/hockey/2023/07/10/noah-cates-inks-new-contract-after-solid-rookie-season-with-philadelphia-flyers/

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Hughes hasn't been willing to risk Allen up to now (by putting him on waivers) so I don't see him doing that now, either.

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Philly had plenty of available cap space before this.  (Not pure cap space but LTIR room with Ellis done for the year...and his career.)  I don't think they have any interest in Allen, they need to see what Ersson can do to see if he's the starter of the future or just a backup and just before the break, they started the long-expected tailspin.  They're going to sell for the deadline, not buy.

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Philly had plenty of available cap space before this.  (Not pure cap space but LTIR room with Ellis done for the year...and his career.)  I don't think they have any interest in Allen, they need to see what Ersson can do to see if he's the starter of the future or just a backup and just before the break, they started the long-expected tailspin.  They're going to sell for the deadline, not buy.

Agree 100%, Philly will not be buyers. They are still in rebuild mode and have likely exceeded expectations this year.

Not my proposal, but is one idea for adding another 2019 draft pick.

"If the Canadiens were to offer their own first, and lottery protect it so they don’t miss out on Macklin Celebrini, would that and one other young piece get it done? Maybe.

Currently, Montreal is 24th in the overall standings. Assuming no lottery movement up or down, that would translate into the ninth pick, which – coincidentally — is where Zegras was chosen back in the 2019 entry draft."

How to (mis)manage rookies; why Trevor Zegras is a Canadiens trade fit: Duhatschek notebook - The Athletic

22 minutes ago, DON said:

Not my proposal, but is one idea for adding another 2019 draft pick.

"If the Canadiens were to offer their own first, and lottery protect it so they don’t miss out on Macklin Celebrini, would that and one other young piece get it done? Maybe.

Currently, Montreal is 24th in the overall standings. Assuming no lottery movement up or down, that would translate into the ninth pick, which – coincidentally — is where Zegras was chosen back in the 2019 entry draft."

How to (mis)manage rookies; why Trevor Zegras is a Canadiens trade fit: Duhatschek notebook - The Athletic

***IF*** the Habs were to make such a proposal, I would want it to be at least Top 5 protected.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

***IF*** the Habs were to make such a proposal, I would want it to be at least Top 5 protected.

Yes, subject to that important proviso, it seems like a very interesting proposal. And pretty aligned with the HuGo philosophy. I could totally see this happening. 

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

https://x.com/NHL_Watcher/status/1756030326592201051?s=20

25 years old.  RfA this summer.

Very, very good at creating offence 5v5.

Id absolutely be inquiring, though i doubt the Sabres want to move him in the division.

We've seen more "in-division" trades in the last few years if it is what provides the best return ... Mittelstadt is an interesting possibility ... a pending RFA (I believe he is UFA summer 2025), means he has pure rental value (i.e., a new team could just walk away July 1st) but a new team also retains first refusal or compensation on any RFA offers as long as they make a qualifying offer ... that makes him a very enticing deadline trade target ... an element for HuGo in considering a trade is whether Mittelstadt would re-sign with the Habs, as well as what it would take to do so.

BTW: To get Tweets to display themselves I have to open the Tweet and copy the URL rather than just using the "Copy Link" option from the basic Tweet.

Mittelstadt wants to get paid what he is worth. I never quarrel with a player who takes that stand. Any team acquiring him will need to shill out.

In terms of the Habs' interest, everything would depend on how they see the team's window. Acquiring Mittelstadt means we will not have benefitted from any of his years of cap value. That's a move you make if you expect to contend within a couple of years, I'd think. I wish he were a couple of years younger.

Assuming we're interested, what would get it done? Our 1st round pick plus - ?

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Any idea how to find the URL on twitter while using the IPhone? 

On mine it appears in the "search bar" at the top of the screen ... tap it and it is highlighted ... tap it again and it offers options: cut/copy/open-link ... I use Google as the browser

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

On mine it appears in the "search bar" at the top of the screen ... tap it and it is highlighted ... tap it again and it offers options: cut/copy/open-link ... I use Google as the browser

I just figured out my problem!

I was looking for the URL inside the twitter app and no wonder I couldn’t find it…

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Mittelstadt wants to get paid what he is worth. I never quarrel with a player who takes that stand. Any team acquiring him will need to shill out.

In terms of the Habs' interest, everything would depend on how they see the team's window. Acquiring Mittelstadt means we will not have benefitted from any of his years of cap value. That's a move you make if you expect to contend within a couple of years, I'd think. I wish he were a couple of years younger.

Assuming we're interested, what would get it done? Our 1st round pick plus - ?

I dont think you need to give.up our pick.

I think itd be more like the Jets pick, one of Harris/Barron/Struble, and another prospect like Roy.

22 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Acquiring Mittelstadt means we will not have benefitted from any of his years of cap value.

The benefit would be having the space to take on a young player on the rise, assuming they can re-sign him.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The benefit would be having the space to take on a young player on the rise, assuming they can re-sign him.

It would have to be a trade and sign, no? Or maybe one of those trades where the idea is to win the player over and have them re-sign in short order.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I dont think you need to give.up our pick.

I think itd be more like the Jets pick, one of Harris/Barron/Struble, and another prospect like Roy.

Geez, then I make the trade lickety-split.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:43 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How much is he worth?