Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

Ryan Callahan makes a face after every other play. Can't stand him.

What I would do to punch Ben Bishop in the face

As things stand, Montreal appears to be one of eight teams that Phil Kessel would accept a trade to. Each year, he has to submit a list of 8 teams that he can be traded to without the Leafs having to ask him to waive his NTC and as of the trade deadline, the Canadiens were on that list. What should the Habs be willing to pay or should they just stay away?

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/on-kessel-free-agents-trades-and-more-1.307528

Funny, when I first read McKenzie's write up I read it as, Habs were one of 8 teams on list, which he wouldn't go to. Which was fine by me.

However, I think Kessel is what Habs need, but I would hate to part with good pieces to help them rebuild, unless they simply will take Emelin and keep part of Kessel's salary.

Funny, when I first read McKenzie's write up I read it as, Habs were one of 8 teams on list, which he wouldn't go to. Which was fine by me.

However, I think Kessel is what Habs need, but I would hate to part with good pieces to help them rebuild, unless they simply will take Emelin and keep part of Kessel's salary.

Below is the write up, it mentions teams he'd accept a trade to, not teams he can block a move. Some NTC's require players submit a list of teams they won't go to. Others require the list of teams that they would go to. It all depends on how many teams is on the NTC.

Kessel's limited NTC is believed to include eight teams he can be traded to. Prior to the trade deadline, TSN reported those eight teams were believed to be: Boston; Chicago; Los Angeles; Minnesota; Montreal; New York Rangers; Philadelphia; and Pittsburgh.

Yes, the Leafs - in the first bloom of a commitment to an authentic rebuild, and not, on the face of it, run by idiots - are going to want a king's ransom for Kessel. 1st round pick for sure, plus young assets.

The good news here, though, is that TO's hands are tied by Phil's limited NTC. It's a bit like when the Canucks tried to move Luongo...their options were so limited, they failed to make a deal until it was too late. The constrained market favours us. Chicago has monster cap issues, the Rags and Pittsburgh probably don't want to move more young assets/picks even if they could fit Kessel under the cap, so those teams are out. Not sure about the rest. Of all of them, I bet Philly - which has a history of going all in on players they want - will end up with the guy, but I say that without knowing a lot about their specific issues.

Assuming the Leafs really want to move Kessel, this could be the best chance we ever have to add an elite scoring FW to this core.

When I look at that list, it looks to me me he submitted some of the teams that either he felt wouldn't want him, or ones that the leafs probably wouldn't want to trade him to. But than, I doubt he is smart enough to give it that much thought.

Below is the write up, it mentions teams he'd accept a trade to, not teams he can block a move. Some NTC's require players submit a list of teams they won't go to. Others require the list of teams that they would go to. It all depends on how many teams is on the NTC.

Kessel's limited NTC is believed to include eight teams he can be traded to. Prior to the trade deadline, TSN reported those eight teams were believed to be: Boston; Chicago; Los Angeles; Minnesota; Montreal; New York Rangers; Philadelphia; and Pittsburgh.

The habs could use his offense no question.

Kessel would immediately be in MT doghouse for not playing defense. Then the distractions which is what MB does not want.

What I would do to punch Ben Bishop in the face

I'm sure the Lightning trainers feel the same way, he makes their job difficult since it seems he needs to see a trainer every single game. Maybe they hired one just for him? I might hate him more than any player in hockey, and it's been a LONG time since that guy was someone not on the Bruins.

I think the bidding for Kessel would start with Markov or Gallagher, Beaulieu and a 1st.

My guess is that he goes to Florida. He has a house there, and he's got to be tired of the media attention.

Any conversation for Kessel that has Gallagher in it is a NO.

My guess is Tinordi, Reway, and a 2016 1st gets it done. Throw in some salary (PAP? Emelin?)

As things stand, Montreal appears to be one of eight teams that Phil Kessel would accept a trade to. Each year, he has to submit a list of 8 teams that he can be traded to without the Leafs having to ask him to waive his NTC and as of the trade deadline, the Canadiens were on that list. What should the Habs be willing to pay or should they just stay away?

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/on-kessel-free-agents-trades-and-more-1.307528

Why the heck would he want to come to Montreal, we demand that you be in shape, listen to the coach no matter if he is crazy or not, AND the really big one BACKCHECK. Those are things I don't think he wants to do . Would absolutely love to have his scoring ability.

My guess is Tinordi, Reway, and a 2016 1st gets it done. Throw in some salary (PAP? Emelin?)

That seems way too low. Reway does not carry anywhere near the value that some people think he does. He's an undersized 4th round pick with well known maturity issues. He's worth no more than a third on his own as a result. Sub in Scherbak for Reway and add one more quality asset (it's not as if Tinordi's value is particularly high right now; it's probably at its lowest ever). Then if you want to add in salary ballast, upgrade one of the pieces currently in the deal to compensate.

Kessel is the 4th highest goal getter in the NHL in the last five years. A late 1st round pick and a couple of middle-tier prospects is not going to get it done.

Toronto isn't dealing from a position of strength. It's not like Kessel has been some dominant player. He has issues. He's a scorer, that's it. And his contract brings his return WAY down.

Toronto is clearly in a rebuild, and is looking for prospects.

Too many people over valuing Kessel.

Ovechkin, Stamkos, Perry, Kessel, Nash, Tavares, Iginla, Pavelski, Toews, Carter, PACS, Marleau, Couture, Neal, Seguin, Benn, Kane, Vanek, Malkin, St.Louis.

List of top 20 goal scorers in past 5 years..

Kessel is a -72 in that time frame.. MINUS 72!!

The next closest player on the list is Tavares at -25 then Marleau at -12. |

Combine that stat with his cap hit and it's very easy to see why Kessel isn't fetching the big return people think he is.

Tinordi, Reway, and 2016 1st may actually be an overpayment

Toronto isn't dealing from a position of strength. It's not like Kessel has been some dominant player. He has issues. He's a scorer, that's it. And his contract brings his return WAY down.

Tinordi, Reway, and 2016 1st may actually be an overpayment

Toronto also doesn't have to deal him. It's not like he's a year away from free agency and they're looking to get something for him while they can. They're also nowhere near the cap so they don't have to trade him for that reason either. If they don't get close to full value, they'll keep him.

Your offer essentially works out to a late 1st, a late 2nd, and a 3rd in terms of what the prospects' individual values are. That doesn't get you a first liner on any team in a trade, let alone a top one.

Not to be the devil's advocate, but I disagree... Toronto absolutely has to deal him.

You don't kick off a rebuild by keeping Kessel, you get assets for him now. Too much risk with keeping him and holding out for more.

And if they're plan is to absorb bad contracts to gain better assets, then he's too expensive to keep.

Again, time will tell. But people are going to be shocked with the return in a Kessel deal.

Gallagher in a deal for Kessel? I'd be first in line to go burn down the Bell Centre.

The thing with Kessel is that, if the Leafs really want to move him, we've got considerable leverage. We'd only be competing with three or four other teams. That should have a depressive effect on the market. How about a 1st and Tinordi? Just spitballin' :)

Gallagher in a deal for Kessel? I'd be first in line to go burn down the Bell Centre.

The thing with Kessel is that, if the Leafs really want to move him, we've got considerable leverage. We'd only be competing with three or four other teams. That should have a depressive effect on the market. How about a 1st and Tinordi? Just spitballin' :)

If that's what they'll get for him, then they won't move him. Kessel ain't moving till they get back what they got for him and then some.

Guest Stogey24

If that's what they'll get for him, then they won't move him. Kessel ain't moving till they get back what they got for him and then some.

It's a matter of how much they want to move him too.

the only way I'm trading for kessel is in a total take it or leave it type deal.

PAP, emelin, thomas and 1st and 2nd in 2016. or 1st and middle prospect not named macarron, scherback, tinordi or any major prospect.

send a couple picks to help the rebuild. a RW replacement that will be off the books in a year.. and a stay at home LD signed for 3 more seasons. nothing more.....

thats what id do... here's my offer take it or leave it. if they leave it, fine by me all it does is slow down their rebuild by 8 million dollars....

This is a big part of the "why can't we get good players" argument.

Because nobody wants to pay a reasonable price for them, let alone overpay.

They want them for free, or at a discount, for players they don't care seeing moved, and if the GM makes the deal they will get angry that the GM "listened to them" if the player doesn't exceed expectations.

It becomes double true for players in a division they have spent years mocking and insulting because if they became a Hab, they'd have to confront whether the player was that bad or if their GM just got a guy they always knew was bad.

It's the constant conversation. "These players suck and I want them off my team. Oh, there's a guy available who can add 20-35 goals and 60-80 points? Can we get him for the trash I want off the team?"

• Upvote 2

This is a big part of the "why can't we get good players" argument.

Because nobody wants to pay a reasonable price for them, let alone overpay.

They want them for free, or at a discount, for players they don't care seeing moved, and if the GM makes the deal they will get angry that the GM "listened to them" if the player doesn't exceed expectations.

It becomes double true for players in a division they have spent years mocking and insulting because if they became a Hab, they'd have to confront whether the player was that bad or if their GM just got a guy they always knew was bad.

It's the constant conversation. "These players suck and I want them off my team. Oh, there's a guy available who can add 20-35 goals and 60-80 points? Can we get him for the trash I want off the team?"

Sad but true, we all believe we could make a better deal.

I rarely chime in on the trade proposals but since there's Kessel talk:

Desharnais, Pateryn or Tinordi, 1st Rounder for Kessel.

I like Pateryn, but the only player I wouldn't enjoy giving up there is Tinordi. I would not want to see him make the Leafs and then have to face him as a division rival.

To those who think it would be a terrible deal for the Leafs, stop underrating Desharnais. He's a good player but is not an amazing fit on our roster.