Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

10 minutes ago, BlueKross said:

I could see Streit getting moved and Montreal being a fit

That one wouldn't shock me.  In theory, he could play with Weber on the top PP unit which would allow them to cut back Markov's minutes a little bit more.  He's not particularly adept in his own end though which isn't ideal.

13 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

How about Pacioretty for Klingberg?

Klingberg had a really good start to last season and has fallen off a cliff since then.  He's a liability in his own end this year which wouldn't exactly help Montreal's defence corps either.  If I'm the GM, I'm only moving Pacioretty for a top pairing defender (Klingberg isn't that when you factor in his defensive play) or a replacement top line forward.

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Klingberg had a really good start to last season and has fallen off a cliff since then.  He's a liability in his own end this year which wouldn't exactly help Montreal's defence corps either.  If I'm the GM, I'm only moving Pacioretty for a top pairing defender (Klingberg isn't that when you factor in his defensive play) or a replacement top line forward.

No kidding. What's with all this "trade Pacioretty" talk? If we trade him for a stud blueliner, well, great - powerhouse blueline. But what happens to the FW unit at that point?? We'll spend the next couple of years moaning about the need for "an elite scoring FW." :rolleyes: Now if Washington wants to give us Ovechkin for him, then sure. Maybe NSH will give us Filip Forsberg and reunite PK and Patches :lol: I just can't see this making any sense.

• Upvote 1

Pacioretty has always been a "I'll get you to the playoffs but then all bets are off" guy to me. Too much Connecticut country club and not enough Alberta farmhand.

For sure, there would be potential issues in scoring goals but stud defencemen always outweighs a soft winger. Klingberg was on track for perennial Norris candidate but seems to have lost his way. Would Weber or Markov put him back on track?

Out of interest, does anyone know how many of Pac's goals over the past few seasons were empty netters?

9 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Out of interest, does anyone know how many of Pac's goals over the past few seasons were empty netters?

Going back to 2012-13, 12 of Pacioretty's 125 goals have been empty netters (9.6%).  For comparison, Plekanec is 7/75 (9.3%).  (He and Pacioretty are the only Habs to have more than 3 ENG's in that time.)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Pacioretty has always been a "I'll get you to the playoffs but then all bets are off" guy to me. Too much Connecticut country club and not enough Alberta farmhand.

For sure, there would be potential issues in scoring goals but stud defencemen always outweighs a soft winger. Klingberg was on track for perennial Norris candidate but seems to have lost his way. Would Weber or Markov put him back on track?

Boy, one habsnonymous1 over at H I/O posted this very interesting info on Patches:

"Pacioretty’s goals per game have been declining:
2013-14: 0.53
2014-15: 0.46
2015-16: 0.37

This year he’s at 0.21 GPG , a full-season pace of 17 goals. It seems reasonable to think that Pacioretty will up his pace but to equal last year’s 30 goals he’d have to finish out the season at a pace of 0.42 GPG or double his current rate.

The players with the most assists for Pacioretty’s goals were:
2013-14: n/a, but team assist leaders were Subban, Desharnais, and Markov.
2014-15: Subban (12), Desharnais (11), Weise (8)
2015-16: Plekanec (10), Subban (9), Gallagher (8)

So far this season, Pacioretty has 0 assists from Shea Weber, and only 3 from the d-corps as a whole.

In conclusion, Pacioretty appears to:
– have peaked in 2013-14 and started his career scoring decline a little young
– be suffering from the absence of Subban.
( Also his TOI and Ozone starts are down this year but is that cause or effect ? )"

I am NOT trying to resuscitate the debate over the Subban trade!!! But surely it's worth asking whether Patches' effectiveness is being affected by the absence of Subban's excellent puck-moving from the blueline. Another, more positive, way to put this is to say that the trade basically transferred a certain portion of team goal-scoring from Pacioretty to Weber, by subtracting a guy who could quarterback plays from the blueline with the league's deadliest bomb from the point. In any case, it MAY be that the lack of D-men leading the rush is contributing to the drop-off in Patches' production. Heck, the same might be true of Gally - maybe Subban's less devastating (albeit still intimidating) shot gave him more rebounds to work with. Maybe PK's superior passing made a difference. Etc..

Now, because there is so much hysteria on this question, I hasten to reiterate that I'm NOT putting this out there as a sure-fire explanation. But I do think it makes sense to suppose that making a huge change to your most important position player can have implications for the other guys on the roster. Like I say, it's worth considering.

It's not a bad theory that Plek, Patches, and Gallagher leaned on Subban. They now have to either change their game or play elsewhere. Maybe it's no surprise that the most effective Habs forwards have now been guys who drive the puck up themselves without needing a Subban or PMD: Chuck, Radulov, and Byron.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's not a bad theory that Plek, Patches, and Gallagher leaned on Subban. They now have to either change their game or play elsewhere. Maybe it's no surprise that the most effective Habs forwards have now been guys who drive the puck up themselves without needing a Subban or PMD: Chuck, Radulov, and Byron.

:thumbs_up:

As far as Pleks goes, I really think he's lost a step, but that's another argument.

3 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Poppycock!

67 & 11 just need to get back to how they played in the past and simply go to net more and put more pucks on net. Why Gallagher isn't accidently-on purpose falling into or onto opposing goalies every game, has nothing to do with that culled ex-hab and Pacioretty is a full shot/game less than was in past, which also has zero to do with that culled ex-hab.

47 minutes ago, John B said:

It will take more than prospects and/or picks to land a 2nd line center and a top 4 dman.  Habs are also going to need to shed salary.  Were talking anywhere from 6 to 10 mil in total for any kind of quality at those positions.  So what roster player(s) get dealt to accommodate the cap.  It's basically money in, money out at this point.

So how about this as a 'win now' trade:

to MTL

- John Tavares, C

- Travis Hamonic, D

to NYI

- Tomas Plekanec, C

- Nathan Beaulieu, D

- Michael McCarron, C

- Nikita Scherbak, RW

- 1st Round Pick 2017

- 1st Round Pick 2018

- 2nd Round Pick 2019

2 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

to MTL

- John Tavares, C

- Travis Hamonic, D

to NYI

- Tomas Plekanec, C

- Nathan Beaulieu, D

- Michael McCarron, C

- Nikita Scherbak, RW

- 1st Round Pick 2017

- 1st Round Pick 2018

- 2nd Round Pick 2019

You'll probably need Sergachev to get 'er done, but that is a very interesting approach, built on identifying a team that might be in the mood for a radical move.

6 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

to MTL

- John Tavares, C

- Travis Hamonic, D

to NYI

- Tomas Plekanec, C

- Nathan Beaulieu, D

- Michael McCarron, C

- Nikita Scherbak, RW

- 1st Round Pick 2017

- 1st Round Pick 2018

- 2nd Round Pick 2019

Isles wouldn't give up Hamonic for Hall and Tavares is their Carey Price.

You're asking the Isles to accept that for Carey Price and Jeff Petry.

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Isles wouldn't give up Hamonic for Hall and Tavares is their Carey Price.

You're asking the Isles to accept that for Carey Price and Jeff Petry.

Maybe.  But the way things are going right now, Tavares is gone as a UFA and Hamonic has already expressed a desire to get out of Brooklyn.  If NYI want a package for those guys now and want to rebuild for the future, then this is a trade I propose.  I'd also add Hudon and/or Carr.

This is the kind of path I hope MB explores.

Just now, JGC21 said:

Maybe.  But the way things are going right now, Tavares is gone as a UFA and Hamonic has already expressed a desire to get out of Brooklyn.  If NYI want a package for those guys now and want to rebuild for the future, then this is a trade I propose.  I'd also add Hudon and/or Carr.

This is the kind of path I hope MB explores.

If Tavares announces he's going to the market he's going to the highest bidder on the open market. 

He will be the best centre to be available for a trade deadline since Gretzky.

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

If Tavares announces he's going to the market he's going to the highest bidder on the open market. 

He will be the best centre to be available for a trade deadline since Gretzky.

Sshhhhh, not so loud.  We don't want Toronto to hear you.

7 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

Hamonic rescinded his trade request at the end of the season.  Whatever the personal reason that made him want to be moved close to home (out West) doesn't appear to be in play any more.

8 minutes ago, JGC21 said:

Sshhhhh, not so loud.  We don't want Toronto to hear you.

I am sure the Leafs would love for him to do what Stamkos and Subban would not. 

Tavares has been very loyal to the Islanders. It's hard for me to see him leaving, even while the team is struggling.

If he does leave, I figure he follows in the footsteps of most great Canadian players currently in the NHL and plays far away from Canada. 

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Hamonic rescinded his trade request at the end of the season.  Whatever the personal reason that made him want to be moved close to home (out West) doesn't appear to be in play any more.

Perfect.  So he'll have no issue with coming to MTL now. :) 

35 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I believe a family member was dying, and is now dead. No reason to be closer to home now.