Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There is a big difference in saying that Mailloux is more likely to get traded than Reinbacher and saying “this management group is afraid of him succeeding.” You’re basically saying they want Mailloux to fail - which also means that even if they are more inclined to trade him, they would get a lower value for him. I can even buy into the arguement that they aren’t sure he is mentally strong enough for the market, given his history and the media pressure in Montreal. But today they are afraid of him succeeding???? That’s just bunk!

I think it’s lite likely we move a LD than a RD, unless it’s to fill the big hole in our top 6 - we are desperately in need of a goal scorer.

frankly, as I’ve said many times over the past year, my preference would have have been to take Leonard or Michkov last year in a forward heavy draft, while this draft. I think the quality of D available is much higher this year. But at least I can buy into their plan and understand the reasoning - unlike the previous guy, who said Sergechev was the future D man, and than traded him for a basket case winger, while also letting Markov go because he didn’t want to give him a 2 yr deal: only to sign  a useless Alzner for 3 or 4 years!

mynpoor choice of words probably.

I’ll reread my post and clarify later. 
thanks for not blasting me but also for letting me know. Much appreciated 

18 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Where do you come up with this nonsense?? Still don’t get your hate for the mgmt group. They actually have plan, unlike their predecessor whose plan was hope that Carey Price is healthy enough to get them into the playoffs and than anything can happen. 

yeah, I see the problem: I didn’t know how to say it and said it all wrong.

What I mean is that the Habs PR likes to showcase their young stars on Twitch, Discord and other social media popular with teens and young adults.

Harris has been the token diversity representative. Caufield and Suzuki often do stuff too.

I do believe that Mailloux is a PR headache and for that reason I believe he will be moved.

In that sense, what I tried to say, if Mailloux skyrocketed early next season (for example) and got ahead of the PR team: that would be problematic for the organization.

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yeah, I see the problem: I didn’t know how to say it and said it all wrong.

What I mean is that the Habs PR likes to showcase their young stars on Twitch, Discord and other social media popular with teens and young adults.

Harris has been the token diversity representative. Caufield and Suzuki often do stuff too.

I do believe that Mailloux is a PR headache and for that reason I believe he will be moved.

In that sense, what I tried to say, if Mailloux skyrocketed early next season (for example) and got ahead of the PR team: that would be problematic for the organization.

I still don’t agree with this point of view.

first of all, you don’t make hockey decisions based on PR marketability. If there was still an issue with his conduct, than I could see it as a team not wanting the distraction. 

If he does well, any half decent PR team would spin it as a redemption story - particularly in light of how the 2018 teams conduct was worse AND it was swept under the rug.

hell, Kane al has been through a lot of bad media incidents including spousal abuse, and he has still gotten chances and got a fairly decent deal from another Canadian market. And the clown still posts videos of himself picking up his new Maserati - after the whole brisk of money in Vegas incident, and filing for bankruptcy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I still don’t agree with this point of view.

first of all, you don’t make hockey decisions based on PR marketability. If there was still an issue with his conduct, than I could see it as a team not wanting the distraction. 

If he does well, any half decent PR team would spin it as a redemption story - particularly in light of how the 2018 teams conduct was worse AND it was swept under the rug.

hell, Kane al has been through a lot of bad media incidents including spousal abuse, and he has still gotten chances and got a fairly decent deal from another Canadian market. And the clown still posts videos of himself picking up his new Maserati - after the whole brisk of money in Vegas incident, and filing for bankruptcy.

we don’t need to agree, I understand your

point.

I am just saying that based on what I see Now and then on French media I think he will be moved.

The team wouldn't have given him his NHL debut if they were making PR decisions instead of hockey ones.

HuGo could have traded him the moment they got the job and blamed it all on the old regime if PR was their concern.

Instead they have prioritized getting the kid in the right programs for rehabilitation and getting him coaching to develop him.

59 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

we don’t need to agree, I understand your

point.

I am just saying that based on what I see Now and then on French media I think he will be moved.

He may well be traded ... they have to give up something halfway significant to make any major move ... but I agree with others that it will have nothing to do with any PR reason ... if anything, were it to come down to non-hockey reasons, trading Mailloux or Reinbacher the fact that David is Hughes' "guy", not Logan is more likely the reason. 

30 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

or Reinbacher the fact that David is Hughes' "guy", not Logan is more likely the reason. 

Is simply silly to think Reinbacher might be traded anytime soon or near future.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Is simply silly to think Reinbacher might be traded anytime soon or near future.

(1) EVERYBODY can be traded in the right deal

(2) Wasn't even close to suggesting he would be, precisely for the reason I stated ... I was addressing a hypothetical choice between trading Mailloux and Reinbacher.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

The team wouldn't have given him his NHL debut if they were making PR decisions instead of hockey ones.

HuGo could have traded him the moment they got the job and blamed it all on the old regime if PR was their concern.

Instead they have prioritized getting the kid in the right programs for rehabilitation and getting him coaching to develop him.

I think Hughes has certainly handled this situation the right way. When Hughes came on board I believe Mailloux was already working with Rob Ramage to get him pointed in the right direction. Hughes wisely continued working with Mailloux on this path and it looks like things are working out. 

It's true Hughes didn't draft Mailloux and I strongly believe that if Hughes had been the GM at that time he would NOT have drafted Mailloux. However he did inherit him and he could have dumped Mailloux as soon as he took over but he took time to assess the situation and probably realized that if he dumped him right away then he would have been:

1)selling off a talented player at a low price

2) plus Hughes might have looked bad from a PR point of view for giving up on a guy who was working hard to become a better/more mature person

Also Hughes didn't have to put up with the grief Bergevin did for drafting him. I also think Hughes spent a lot of time with Mailloux to get a better sense of whether his efforts to improve off the ice are sincere. 

I have every confidence in Hughes handling this situation and others the right way. I think he is a tremendously smart and astute person/GM. I didn't know anything about him when he was hired but I am very glad he was hired.

There may come a time where if Hughes thinks that Mailloux can't escape his past in Montreal then he may look for an  opportunity to move him.  I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There may come a time where if Hughes thinks that Mailloux can't escape his past in Montreal then he may look for an  opportunity to move him.  I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. 

I expect that *** if *** he is ever traded it will be for purely hockey reasons

35 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

(1) EVERYBODY can be traded in the right deal

Are there any comparables, a promising top 5 or 10 pick dealt before his 1st NHL game?

And more just saying any proposal involving him seems 'silly' to consider.

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I expect that *** if *** he is ever traded it will be for purely hockey reasons

I hope that is the case and I think it's much more likely that is the case. Just saying that in some markets you are under the microscope a little more and you have to be a little tougher mentally to survive. 

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Are there any comparables, a promising top 5 or 10 pick dealt before his 1st NHL game?

Again, (1) didn't say WOULD be ... just that he COULD be ... and ... (2) I totally agree, he was a "ballsy"* pick by the current management team and unlikely to go anywhere ... unless McDavid is involved 😉.

* - "ballsy" in the context of fans expectations that one of the forwards would be selected rather than DR.

39 minutes ago, DON said:

Sergechev 

52 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, there was this guy named Ken Dryden. Traded at the end of the 1964 draft in a four-player deal (all newly-drafted players) from Boston to Montreal. The players involved didn't even know at first that they had been drafted by a different team!

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Well, there was this guy named Ken Dryden. Traded at the end of the 1964 draft in a four-player deal (all newly-drafted players) from Boston to Montreal. The players involved didn't even know at first that they had been drafted by a different team!

VERY different draft in 1964 ... most players were obtained through the old junior sponsorship/affiliation system ... only the dregs (😉 😜 😄) were left for the draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Not my proposal; but Zegras for Habs #5 pick seems interesting at least.

I guess it seems smart, but passing on a Demidov-Lindstrom, i dunno?

Where will the top NHL trade candidates land?: ‘Who Says No?’ mailbag - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

"Montreal is probably targeting a forward at No. 5 – why not turn the pick into a ready-made NHL player who is only 23 and produced 65 points in 81 games two years ago, before injuries derailed his 2023-24 season?"

23 minutes ago, DON said:

Not my proposal; but Zegras for Habs #5 pick seems interesting at least.

I guess it seems smart, but passing on a Demidov-Lindstrom, i dunno?

Where will the top NHL trade candidates land?: ‘Who Says No?’ mailbag - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

Montreal is probably targeting a forward at No. 5 – why not turn the pick into a ready-made NHL player who is only 23 and produced 65 points in 81 games two years ago, before injuries derailed his 2023-24 season?

It’s the Drouin factor. Promising kid has a couple of good seasons, tails off, alienates his original team…buyer beware. 

Now don’t get me wrong. I don’t know what’s gone on between Zegras and Anaheim. He may turn out to be a star for years to come. But Anaheim isn’t the bizarre 2023 Blackhawks, looking to dump every young player they have regardless of merit. If they’re shipping out the kid, there is a reason. 

I'm not sure where I read it and I haven't really been following the draft projections or anything, but I did read that if Lindstrom is gone by the 5th pick, Montreal will likely look to trade the pick.  I'm sure someone who follows the draft ranking will have better insight.  I believe that same rumor put a fair amount of doubt on Montreal being interested in Zegras as well.

Take all of this with a grain of salt as I can't even remember where I read it, so it could be off.

The rumours about trading the pick rather than drafting yet another D-man have been very persistent. And they make sense. So I don’t doubt that part. The question is whether Zegras will be the FW we target. His name keeps coming up, but is that because management is keenly interested, or because he is the obvious choice for lazy media, while HuGo have someone entirely different in mind? It’ll be interesting.

I think we are way too focused on Lindstrom.  His second half and playoffs were not good.  I could easily see him falling outside the top 5.

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think we are way too focused on Lindstrom.  His second half and playoffs were not good.  I could easily see him falling outside the top 5.

I'm all in for Demidov or Helenius!

In both years under HuGo the Habs first rounder (slaf and reinbacher) has been someone who had a late rise in the rankings with good international tourneys, playoffsn second half, etc.

That's why i think Lindstrom wouldnt be their pick, and see guys like Iginla, Helenius, Catton, as more likely to fit in that mold if Demidov is gone.  Lindstrom had the excellent start and faded a bit.

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

In both years under HuGo the Habs first rounder (slaf and reinbacher) has been someone who had a late rise in the rankings with good international tourneys, playoffsn second half, etc.

That's why i think Lindstrom wouldnt be their pick, and see guys like Iginla, Helenius, Catton, as more likely to fit in that mold if Demidov is gone.  Lindstrom had the excellent start and faded a bit.

I agree, the most recent information, which is totally understandable, played a large role in their picks. 

I think Lindstrom has faded in the rankings because of injuries, he came back in the playoffs but obviously wasn't 100%. It will be interesting to see how far he drops.