dlbalr

7 hours ago, Helmethead said:

In the blink of an eye. 

And I love Arber. 

Ditto.

47 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That #9 pick could very well be Parekh. 

Xhekaj for Parekh sure sounds good 

I'd be temped to take Parekh over any forward except Demidov.

55 minutes ago, Commandant said:

But you are trading the higher floor in xhekaj for the ceiling of the top 10 pick.  Add in the quantity of LD in the system and I think you do it.

That's sound reasoning. I don't think Calgary makes that trade either. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's sound reasoning. I don't think Calgary makes that trade either. 

OK.

How about Xhekaj to Detroit for Pick #15?

A more even deal, aside from the trading within the division bit?

Does Kakko still have enough potential (with the Marty St-Louis magic) to be a Habs trade target? He's now sitting in the press box for the Rangers.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Does Kakko still have enough potential (with the Marty St-Louis magic) to be a Habs trade target? He's now sitting in the press box for the Rangers.

Yes, but not at the same level of trade as Dach or Newhook.  He'd need to be cheaper. 

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes, but not at the same level of trade as Dach or Newhook.  He'd need to be cheaper. 

The Rangers were rumoured to be shopping him before the trade deadline already, and his value is surely not any higher now. That doesn't mean that their trade expectations are necessarily realistic, though.

36 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's not a good sign when you are sitting in the press box during an important playoff game and Matt Rempe is playing. Kakko is 23 going on 24 so he has had a few years to figure it out plus he is an RFA so who knows what kind of money he is looking for.  Might be worth a gamble but who knows what the Rangers want. You would think his market value is at an all time low but he still might not be cheap. Only if the price is right. 

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Actually just tuned in to the game, Kakko is playing. Florida just completely dominated the 3rd period. 

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Actually just tuned in to the game, Kakko is playing. Florida just completely dominated the 3rd period. 

Not enough, though, if your goalie allows three-plus goals beyond you xGA.

19 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's not a good sign when you are sitting in the press box during an important playoff game and Matt Rempe is playing. Kakko is 23 going on 24 so he has had a few years to figure it out plus he is an RFA so who knows what kind of money he is looking for.  Might be worth a gamble but who knows what the Rangers want. You would think his market value is at an all time low but he still might not be cheap. Only if the price is right. 

I thiiiink the stats say the chances of developing further post 24 or not great.

Guys that pop off after that are more likely system specific or weren't given opportunity. No idea if Kaako fits in that

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

I thiiiink the stats say the chances of developing further post 24 or not great.

Guys that pop off after that are more likely system specific or weren't given opportunity. No idea if Kaako fits in that

Yes, that needs some professional scouting and development assessment to determine that. Maybe yes, maybe no. But he's three months past his 23rd birthday and only 16 days older than Newhook so he's not exactly over the hill. of course, the Newhook trade was a year ago, so he'll be one year and 16 days older than Newhook when he was traded to the Habs.

Just speculating on whether he might be a potential target for Hughes ...

Canadiens Keeping Armia is a Gamble - The Hockey Writers - - NHL News, Analysis & More

Keeping Armia into next season would be a gamble by Hughes. But if he does roll the dice to bet on the player, he will need him to continue his strong play into next season.

The Habs can have trade success without repeating the “Dach-Newhook” – Hab At Her

Here’s the proposal. The Montreal Canadiens trade Joel Armia, Jordan Harris, Owen Beck and Winnipeg’s first round pick to the Anaheim Ducks for Trevor Zegras.

Will Armia still be a Hab come the fall and if he is, what version would we see?

3 minutes ago, DON said:

The Habs can have trade success without repeating the “Dach-Newhook” – Hab At Her

Here’s the proposal. The Montreal Canadiens trade Joel Armia, Jordan Harris, Owen Beck and Winnipeg’s first round pick to the Anaheim Ducks for Trevor Zegras.

Will Armia still be a Hab come the fall and if he is, what version would we see?

If that trade is a possibility, to semi-quote @GHT120 about another trade, "in a split second ... before the Ducks changed their mind."

An expensive 3rd/4th liner, a decent bottom pair defenceman with low probability of being top-4, an unproven prospect that may develop as high as top-6 and a late pick for a young 2nd line center that produces 65pts+ a season with low-mid top line potential.  I'm not a huge fan of Zegras, but for that price you can take a shot and/or flip him.

10 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

If that trade is a possibility, to semi-quote @GHT120 about another trade, "in a split second ... before the Ducks changed their mind."

An expensive 3rd/4th liner, a decent bottom pair defenceman with low probability of being top-4, an unproven prospect that may develop as high as top-6 and a late pick for a young 2nd line center that produces 65pts+ a season with low-mid top line potential.  I'm not a huge fan of Zegras, but for that price you can take a shot and/or flip him.

Including Beck is the only thing that gives me a moment's pause ... but if HuGo are confident enough in Zegras to make that deal then, because of the pause, in a second.

58 minutes ago, DON said:

I have said before that there is a lot of potential for deal between Anaheim and the Habs but I don't think this will get it done, my thoughts:

1) If Anaheim is looking for a young D from the Habs then I don't see them having any interest in Harris, Mailloux will be the guy they want. They are strong with young LD so I don't see Harris being of interest, I know he can play the right side but still, Mailloux will be the guy they want

2) I don't see the need to include Armia in the deal. Sure it would be nice to get rid of the contract but including him means we have to add more sweeteners. Let his 1 year contract expire and if he is having a good year then he can be flipped at the deadline. 

Having said that, I think Mailloux, Beck and Winnipeg's first is too much to give up but it can be tweaked. That's assuming Hughes is very interested in Zegras.  I am not as sold on Zegras as some, he has talent but if his ceiling is a 65 point guy (which is not bad) who doesn't play a 200 foot game then I am not that crazy about a deal. I think there are others on this board who have a better handle on Zegras's potential than I do. I haven't watched him a lot. 

Posted (edited)

I wanted to share this as potential targets for the Habs, if they do not sign with their teams.

Ididn't know where to post:

Edited by alfredoh2009

25 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I wanted to share this as potential targets for the Habs, if they do not sign with their teams.

Ididn't know where to post:

I guess the $64,000 Question is: If the team that drafted them don't sign them are any of them worth the Habs using one of their 10 contracts slots to sign?  RFAs Xhekaj and Barron are 99.99999999999% using up two of those openings ... and 8 other RFA/UFAs of their own to consider (not counting White or Pearson, who I am already writing off).

Unless you meant signing them to AHL contracts.

This isn't a great group of prospects.  A good chunk have signed overseas already as well.  Some of these players might get an AHL offer and a handful will go back into the draft.

25 minutes ago, DON said:

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/2078743/hockey-canadien-necas-ete-echanges

Option of a 3 way Romanov deal mentioned, as an option of Necas to Habs perhaps. 

As Habs dont have goaltending to trade that Carolina might want.

Markstrom for Calgary’s pick

Then Markstrom for Necas?

If they want a goalie, then Necas to Nashville makes sense, and no need to get a third team involved.

One of Saros/Askarov is likely to go this summer. 

The second option is Boston.  Apparently Necas agent is suggesting he wants to play Centre, which he did before being drafted.  Boston needs Centres.  They also can trade Ullmark.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If they want a goalie, then Necas to Nashville makes sense, and no need to get a third team involved.

One of Saros/Askarov is likely to go this summer. 

The second option is Boston.  Apparently Necas agent is suggesting he wants to play Centre, which he did before being drafted.  Boston needs Centres.  They also can trade Ullmark.

What you say makes perfect sense, don't see any reason why the Habs would need to get involved in some configuration of a 3 way goalie trade. 

Boston needs help up front. You are not winning the Stanley Cup when your #1 center is Charlie Coyle (not a bad player but his career best is 60 points).