Trade Value of: Andrei Kostitsyn

dlbalr

<p>

Ruttu's signing just raised the cost of doing business.  Kaberle is a one dimensional player, only useful on the PP.  Can't play regular defense and doesn't hit.  AK46 can give us 25 goals and bring a physical presance.

As i've said, i think we can resign Ak46 for $4M, but if necessary, you may have to go higher now.

AK plays well for about 40 games a year, and sucks for 40 games a year.  He is a defensive liability who gives away the puck more than any of our other forwards.  And has done jacksquat the last two years in the playoffs (with the exception of game 2 of the washington series).

I take the picks and prospects... give the ice time to a guy like Leblanc, and if i need to use the 4.5 million plus on the free agent market, I'm looking for a much more consistent player. Heck Olli Jokinen (a big centre with similar inconsistency issues) who is better than Kostitsyn defensively and has 35 pts in his last 37 games will probably get similar money and be a stop gap until Galchenyuk is ready.

<p>

AK plays well for about 40 games a year, and sucks for 40 games a year. He is a defensive liability who gives away the puck more than any of our other forwards. And has done jacksquat the last two years in the playoffs (with the exception of game 2 of the washington series).

I take the picks and prospects... give the ice time to a guy like Leblanc, and if i need to use the 4.5 million plus on the free agent market, I'm looking for a much more consistent player. Heck Olli Jokinen (a big centre with similar inconsistency issues) who is better than Kostitsyn defensively and has 35 pts in his last 37 games will probably get similar money and be a stop gap until Galchenyuk is ready.

Not to mention when he slumps all he needs to do is find a MacDonaldas

I'm with Commandant on this. AK's gotta go. It stings a little because he's homegrown. And I've always questioned how the team has handled him. For example, I sorta hoped that playing with his brother would create some Sedin magic, on a smaller scale. Also, Commandant is right about the Kaberle comparison, as I'm one who believes he blows and is paid too much. A raise for AK would be ridiculous.

Funny thing about Ruutu is that he has only had 2 years where he has scored 20 goals or more. Every other year he scored in the teens, So if he is making $4.75 per season then what does that mean for a 20-25 possibly even closer to 30 goal scorer. I think there is no way he signs for $4 million knowing there is a $5 million per season contract out there.

I think the Ruutu signing in Carolina has set the bar on AK's next contract. I'm sure his agent has taken notice. AK is a couple of years younger than Ruutu, but both play a similar game and have career numbers that nearly match. Ruutu is more physical, AK has better scoring touch. Both players are giving you an average of 18-20 goals, 40-50 points, 125+ hits. With Ruutu signing a 4 year extension with a 4.75 mil cap average, I think we've seen the market for Kostitsyn set right there.

While I like AK at what he makes now, I'm sorry but no. I let him walk at that amount. Hopefully PG has noticed what it could conceivably cost him to keep Andrei around.

I agree. If someone wants to pay him Ruutu money, let them. It wont be our problem. I do think Ruutu bring more to his overall game then AK does. I am sure his agent will ignore that and focus on goals.

He may end up getting a slight bit more or less than Ruutu depending on other factors, but its certainly set the market at such a level that he'll be getting a significant raise.

He may end up getting a slight bit more or less than Ruutu depending on other factors, but its certainly set the market at such a level that he'll be getting a significant raise.

Not here. :)

In other surprising news, apparently Habs are open to offers for Gomez and Kaberle... ROFL.. good luck on those two (Kaberle maybe).

Not here. :)

In other surprising news, apparently Habs are open to offers for Gomez and Kaberle... ROFL.. good luck on those two (Kaberle maybe).

My question is does that mean they weren't open to moves on Gomez before haha

Kosty was interviewed and said he doesn't want to leave. Montreal is a second home. I question that myself. If he truly loves it here, I would be willing to give him Bourque's money. Bourque is a penalty killer, but that is it. He doesn't seem to do anything. I know Kosty is VERY streaky, but I would rather keep him for less than 4 million than get a 2nd who will take 4 years to develope. He is still a good #7 or #6 forward. If the team was playing well and the lines were more set, I think you would see more success from him.

Kosty was interviewed and said he doesn't want to leave. Montreal is a second home. I question that myself. If he truly loves it here, I would be willing to give him Bourque's money. Bourque is a penalty killer, but that is it. He doesn't seem to do anything. I know Kosty is VERY streaky, but I would rather keep him for less than 4 million than get a 2nd who will take 4 years to develope. He is still a good #7 or #6 forward. If the team was playing well and the lines were more set, I think you would see more success from him.

I think most of us would prefer to see Kostitsyn re-sign here at $4 mil or, preferably, less. I'm pulling this out of my bung-hole but $3.8 mil just feels fair to me. Now that is a significant discount compared to what he would command on the UFA market.

Talk is cheap and frankly I'm tired of players saying they 'want' to stay here and then fleeing for the highest bidder. If Kosty wants to stay here so badly, let him accept a moderate salary to do it.

I think most of us would prefer to see Kostitsyn re-sign here at $4 mil or, preferably, less. I'm pulling this out of my bung-hole but $3.8 mil just feels fair to me. Now that is a significant discount compared to what he would command on the UFA market.

Talk is cheap and frankly I'm tired of players saying they 'want' to stay here and then fleeing for the highest bidder. If Kosty wants to stay here so badly, let him accept a moderate salary to do it.

He did say he would take a lower salary to stay in Montreal, but we will have to see what he thinks he is worth. If Ruutu got 4.75 he'll probs aim for 4 I'd say.

If the team was playing well and the lines were more set, I think you would see more success from him.

Excellent point that hasn't been talked about much with regards to this season. Aside from 1 line, the rest of the lines have been scrambled every game and often several times during a game. It is so hard as a hockey player to be expected to adapt and learn tenancies of new line mates so seamlessly. It's no secret that the best players in the game, those who are producing the most, generally play with the same line mates every game. In this day and age where a string of bad losses can cost a coach his job, they are too impatient with line combos. They don't give the line time to gel, they just keep throwing spaghetti at a cupboard and hoping it sticks. Kostitsyn is no stranger to this ordeal. He has been bounced around more than any Hab for the last few years. Perhaps he is a type of player who would benefit from a regular line?

Excellent point that hasn't been talked about much with regards to this season. Aside from 1 line, the rest of the lines have been scrambled every game and often several times during a game. It is so hard as a hockey player to be expected to adapt and learn tenancies of new line mates so seamlessly. It's no secret that the best players in the game, those who are producing the most, generally play with the same line mates every game. In this day and age where a string of bad losses can cost a coach his job, they are too impatient with line combos. They don't give the line time to gel, they just keep throwing spaghetti at a cupboard and hoping it sticks. Kostitsyn is no stranger to this ordeal. He has been bounced around more than any Hab for the last few years. Perhaps he is a type of player who would benefit from a regular line?

Cunneyworth has kept far more consistent lines than JM did, but AKs production under Cunney is far lower than under JM

Cunneyworth has kept far more consistent lines than JM did, but AKs production under Cunney is far lower than under JM

The most consistent line AK46 has had recently is with Gomez and yet we are surprised about his lack of production?

Kostitsyn will be good on a team and a line with a superstar. If he were to go to Pittsburg, for example, and play on a line with Malkin or Crosby, Kostitsyn would look amazing. Get a few 2nd assists or 1st assists on goals by players who need no help to score would do wonders for stat padding. It's why he did so well the year he was playing with Pleks and Kovy. If we could create that situation for him his value would go through the roof.

Kostitsyn will be good on a team and a line with a superstar. If he were to go to Pittsburg, for example, and play on a line with Malkin or Crosby, Kostitsyn would look amazing. Get a few 2nd assists or 1st assists on goals by players who need no help to score would do wonders for stat padding. It's why he did so well the year he was playing with Pleks and Kovy. If we could create that situation for him his value would go through the roof.

I would look great beside Crosby too, doesn't mean I am worth more then $4M. I am not just bragging. My ass is bigger then AKs, much easier for Crosby to bounce them in off.

Kidding aside, AK is no longer a "pay for what he will become" guy. We need to pay him for what he is, a 20 goal scorer who doesn't really make his line better.

I would look great beside Crosby too, doesn't mean I am worth more then $4M. I am not just bragging. My ass is bigger then AKs, much easier for Crosby to bounce them in off.

Kidding aside, AK is no longer a "pay for what he will become" guy. We need to pay him for what he is, a 20 goal scorer who doesn't really make his line better.

Yes and thanks to another idiotic move by a GM (who will probably again say "I should have known better" next year, as he did with Kaberle this year, the price for a 20 goal scorer, just went up. I don't know why the owners constantly fight to change the CBA, when even the small market GM"s make stupid moves to undermine whatever the owners negotiated in the CBA.

Yes and thanks to another idiotic move by a GM (who will probably again say "I should have known better" next year, as he did with Kaberle this year, the price for a 20 goal scorer, just went up. I don't know why the owners constantly fight to change the CBA, when even the small market GM"s make stupid moves to undermine whatever the owners negotiated in the CBA.

How does it undermine the CBA? The players get a set percentage of revenue, that percentage doesnt go up due to "stupid" contracts.

Rumour right now with Andrei Kostitsyn is that Phoenix wants him and has wanted for a while now, which is a blow in the face of LeBrun's, "Nobody wants Kostitsyn" talk.

Phoenix is looking great right now and is just the type of team to pick up an underachieving UFA.