Brandon Prust signs, 4 years, $10 million

HabsTrick450

Well, Prust is a bit of a wait and see - 12 mintues or 14? 3rd or 4th-liner? - but apparently he was highly sought-after on the open market. Presumably many other teams wanted what he brings. I think MB should get the benefit of the doubt on this one, especially as the contract is hardly crippling.

I can understand people hating cheap-shot artists like Armstrong. All I know is, the Habs play team after team with arseholes like that on them. Sadly, this justifies fighting fire with fire, in my mind.

EDIT: Habs29, nothing need stop us from locking up White next year. And I agree, we never should have let Lapierre go - dumb trade as, I believe, I said at the time. AK46, meh, I can do without characterless playoff drunks, while Higgins needed three years away from Montreal before he began to rebuild his career as a solid NHLer, not crying over those two.

You will not see anyone like AK46 on this team under MB. He has made that crystal clear. Character and hard work is what he is looking for.

Something AK46 does not posses.

How si Prust wait and see? You know exactly what you are getting. Hard work, Physical PK player who stands up for his team mates.

What would you be waiting for?

You will not see anyone like AK46 on this team under MB. He has made that crystal clear. Character and hard work is what he is looking for.

Something AK46 does not posses.

How si Prust wait and see? You know exactly what you are getting. Hard work, Physical PK player who stands up for his team mates.

What would you be waiting for?

I just mean, wait and see whether he is a bottom-6 guy or a bottom-3 on our team. From the salary and term, the Habs see him as a bottom-6er, but 12 minutes per night with the Rags might suggest otherwise.

Great,.great signing. A tough guy who can actually play hockey.

As for those saying overpayment. Cap has gone up $14 million in 2 years. Inflation happens no surprise there.

I like our bottom 6 now.

Moen/Armstrong - Eller - Bourque

Moen/Armstrong - Noke - Prust

White in pressbox

Works for me.

As for those saying overpayment. Cap has gone up $14 million in 2 years. Inflation happens no surprise there.

I like our bottom 6 now.

White in pressbox

Works for me.

That does look pretty sweet, but White in the pressbox seems a little harsh to a player that many of us love. Is he on borrowed time here?

That does look pretty sweet, but White in the pressbox seems a little harsh to a player that many of us love. Is he on borrowed time here?

Nah, given our injury history a 13th forward is still gonna get 55+ games.

Armstrong has a history.

Moen had a rough year.

Who knows with our other guys.

It is an overpayment but that's the free agency market. There's talk that Ryan Suter is going to get a Crosby/Ovechkin kind of contract. If you are going to free agency you're spending available money to fulfill needs.

The only guy I'm semi bugged about is Leblanc having no spot but maybe another year in the AHL with the team we have is a great thing. Same for Geoffrion who isn't ready.

Thought I had read that Torts sat him out for some games, I guess I was mistaken.

He played 19 out of 20 games.

It seems like a different way to build a team, locking up bottom 6 players like Moen and Prust. Hopefully it eliminates the need to put our 7th defenceman on the 4th line, which to me seemed odd.

It seems like a different way to build a team, locking up bottom 6 players like Moen and Prust. Hopefully it eliminates the need to put our 7th defenceman on the 4th line, which to me seemed odd.

It also eliminates putting skill guys like Palushaj on the bottom six where he doesn't fit whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

It is an overpayment but that's the free agency market. There's talk that Ryan Suter is going to get a Crosby/Ovechkin kind of contract. If you are going to free agency you're spending available money to fulfill needs.

The only guy I'm semi bugged about is Leblanc having no spot but maybe another year in the AHL with the team we have is a great thing. Same for Geoffrion who isn't ready.

I feel the same about having LL in Hamilton. He can help the habs, but the Pacioretty approach might be best. Having him playing with the rest of the kids is the A whats best for the future. Hamilton will be a fun team to watch regardless.

Unless Eller is to be moved and LL moves to center.

2.5 is a little high, but I absolutely love this signig. Prust is Chris Niel reincarnated. I would have preffered 2 mill or 1.5, but then he would not have come. It's nice to have a good player who has true toughness. It's about time.

For fans (like me) who think this is too high, keep in mind there's a chance that a new CBA with a reduced cap could carry a small rollback as well. A 10% rollback would make the cap hit $2.25 M which is a little easier to swallow.

I'm hoping their will be another amnesty and rollback, but from everything I've read, one thing players said they won't agree to is another rollback - that was something that really pissed off players during the last CBA.

For fans (like me) who think this is too high, keep in mind there's a chance that a new CBA with a reduced cap could carry a small rollback as well. A 10% rollback would make the cap hit $2.25 M which is a little easier to swallow.

Prust is an over payment, but who isn't on July 1st? I would rather have his toughness/character in the line up than let him go to TOR/BOS for the sake of paying the guy 500k less than what he was asking for..

We have 3 guys to sign to fill out our roster and 15.5M in cap space..I am fully confident Bergevin isn't finished and we will be adding a top 6 forward via trade...

We need grit and character players..We got it...and regarding Armstrong? I also dislike the puke, but isn't it better having him in the right colors hitting other teams players instead of ours? The guy brings more character and a "keep your head up" mentality to this team...We sorely lacked what we got today..Bergevin did a great job, IMO..

'Overpaid...' Meh. How overpaid is he? $500 000? Half of that covers the tax differential between Montreal and low-tax destinations like Miami. I just can't get too worked up about what is basically chump change. Assuming he plays a regular shift and brings the toughness he's billed as bringing, this signing fills a clear team need, and with a player a lot of other teams wanted. There's not much to gripe about here - other than the failure (so far) to fill the holes in the top-6 and top-4.

Every year fans complain that the new free agents are overpaid. But thats because fans don't adjust for inflation.

The cap has risen 14 million in 2 years. Of course the free agents signed today are getting paid more than the free agents signed 2 years ago.

Every year fans complain that the new free agents are overpaid. But thats because fans don't adjust for inflation.

The cap has risen 14 million in 2 years. Of course the free agents signed today are getting paid more than the free agents signed 2 years ago.

I still feel his contract was an overpayment but it's the free market.

People tend to forget that you can pay a little more than $14M for a single player. They see guys like Ovechkin and Crosby signed for under $10M so they think the cap is still in a way to take that. But you can pay a player $14M if you want.

The other mistake fans make is seeing these high contracts and thinking spending is overboard again. It's not and never will be with the salary cap.

I like our bottom 6 now.

White in pressbox

Works for me.

I think White could turn into a better player than many think, so I wouldn't ship him off to the press box too soon. But man, are we going to be a hateful team to play against next year!

I think White could turn into a better player than many think, so I wouldn't ship him off to the press box too soon. But man, are we going to be a hateful team to play against next year!

He'll still get ~50 games with injuries and such

I was going nuts when this deal was announced.

I have wanted him since I starting watching 24-7 Rangers Flyers.

This guy is a great team guy who will fight and battle every night.

I love his quote about teams being in for a rough night when they play montreal now.

Also very cool that Therrien went to London to present him with a jersey and hat for the sigining.

Another dandy signing, a bit high salary/term; but that was cost to get him in a Hab jersey no doubt.

Now he, Eller, White and Moan can eat up more PK time to spell off Plekanec.

seems just another in series of smart moves/plays.