Nov. 7th, Montreal vs Ottawa, 7 PM

bar

I think the fire alarm is going off. Interesting that it started when Gally won the puck at the side of Lehner's crease and almost poked it home.

I remember that happening in a Bulldogs-Marlies game I went to a few years ago (a CBC game no less). This was much, much shorter (the one in Toronto lasted about 10 minutes). It's even more annoying in person.

tough game guys. I would like to be positive, ok I will be, we positively need some f---ing guys who can score a f---ing goal. Mb get on the gd phone and find a goal scorer. Maybe we convert Price to a forward so he can do it all by himself. WE NEED GOALS.

It's hard not to think a trade should happen. There's so much mediocrity on this team it isn't funny.

Hate to start the violins but it's the same old same old!

-No dynamic center

-Soft d and top 6

-Kept to the perimeter by a bigger team.

Cheers/kudos to Ottawa for not roughing us up!

Any word on whether Damphousse will come out of retirement? I mean his wife. We need some muscle.

This team has an underwhelming group of veteran forwards and until that changes, we will be mediocre. Our D is good. Our goaltending is excellent. But we won't be a contender relying on one line of kids for our offence.

We are really in year two of a five year rebuild.

Really? Really?

I mean... really?

I don't know... The games we win are almost allways close to being tied and we have a really hard time creating good chances. We don't miss any key offensive forwards at the moment. Our best players are teenagers or just above. (Which is good for the future). But when are the players around age 30 going to start being a real threat? Most offence comes from defencemen.

I guess its just me. Halfglass empty kinda person I am. :/

This team has an underwhelming group of veteran forwards and until that changes, we will be mediocre. Our D is good. Our goaltending is excellent. But we won't be a contender relying on one line of kids for our offence.

We are really in year two of a five year rebuild.

I agree. But I think we have two number 1's and four bottom pairing guys.

Poor Gallagher took a beating tonight and had nothing to show for it. Hate to see how he always gets roughed up in the scrums, it seems like Subban is one of the only guys who will defend him.

Sucks that the fourth line gave up another dagger goal, this time it was White in particular dogging it.

I don't know... The games we win are almost allways close to being tied and we have a really hard time creating good chances. We don't miss any key offensive forwards at the moment. Our best players are teenagers or just above. (Which is good for the future). But when are the players around age 30 going to start being a real threat? Most offence comes from defencemen.

I guess its just me. Halfglass empty kinda person I am. :/

nope not just you I agree with you completely. we need goal scorers

I dunno. I'll admit I'm watching the imperfect medium of "Canadiens Express," but -

1. I think MaxPac is playing well, rounding into form. He's a constant threat and is making heads-up plays IMHO.

2. I still think Subban is struggling a bit by his standards.

In both of these assessments I seem to be outside the mainline opinion around here.

In terms of other players, I thought DD looked more involved than hitherto, almost like his old self (notwithstanding the awful FO %). Bournvial was invisible, weirdly for him, and Pleks wasn't the sh*t either. Gally wasn't vintage - those PIMs hurt. MaxPac and maybe Eller were the only forwards who stood out to me.

As for the game itself: I dunno. It seemed as though this game was pretty even, but the Sens got the bounces. The trouble is, I said the same thing about the Minny game. Meanwhile we failed to beat the team that was clearly better than us (St Louis). If you go through enough games where you "didn't get the bounces" you do have to wonder if maybe you just kinda suck - i.e., if we're just a "plucky" and "promising" team that keeps it close but never quite manages to get the Ws.

Therrien needs to find an answer soon. I suspect #67 finally scoring will be a big part of it.

EDIT: I notice Subban got 27 minutes of ice time. That will be another key to getting the Habs on track - giving Subban the bloody reins and letting him carry the team on his back.

tough game guys. I would like to be positive, ok I will be, we positively need some f---ing guys who can score a f---ing goal. Mb get on the gd phone and find a goal scorer. Maybe we convert Price to a forward so he can do it all by himself. WE NEED GOALS.

Habs are 17th in league goals per game, so not great but nothing to really freak out over.

Give Pacioretty some time and DD really hasn't helped and if Leblanc continues hot streak in Hamilton, he would be an improvement (even I would be an upgrade over DD) and Bergevin will just have to swallow his pride and admit err, waive and ship him down sooner or later or simply have Briere replace him when ready (not sure if that is an upgrade?)?

Habs are 17th in league goals per game, so not great but nothing to really freak out over.

Give Pacioretty some time and DD really hasn't helped and if Leblanc continues hot streak in Hamilton, he would be an improvement (even I would be an upgrade over DD) and Bergevin will just have to swallow his pride and admit err, waive and ship him down sooner or later or simply have Briere replace him when ready (not sure if that is an upgrade?)?

last 7 games we have scored 11 goals on 195 shots, you don't win that way. In the same time we have allowed 17 goals on 208 shots. The shot difference can be attributed to the San jose game, the only one we were really outshot in. These 2 stats should be reversed and they would be if we had some timely scoring im my humble opinion. Briere should be testing out the hot dogs with DD. Prust will help but he is no 40 goal scorer. Our defence has held together through the injuries. Yes patches will help. But if we had an average NHL goalie we would have allowed 8 to 10 more goals and I wonder what the feeling would be then. A subjective number I know but we do not have a real goal scorer, and we need one Badly. MB has to go get one, cause scoring by committee ain't working. You can't expect the EGG line to provide all the scoring. We need 2 lines at least that can score, can you name the second one?

Problem is : only 16 make the playoffs...

And Habs are 8th of east teams if makes you feel better.

And are just a couple games left in season to play.

But, if you feel like panicking, can always trade draft picks and prospects like Beaulieu, Bournival and Tinordi to get back a top 6 scorer.

Just i wouldnt go that route at this stage.

And Habs are 8th of east teams if makes you feel better.

And are just a couple games left in season to play.

But, if you feel like panicking, can always trade draft picks and prospects like Beaulieu, Bournival and Tinordi to get back a top 6 scorer.

Just i wouldnt go that route at this stage.

I don't have an issue with making a trade. I've learned here in Florida that it's a crapshoot to sit back and wait for the kids to save the day. What's the point of resigning both Diaz and Markov and keeping both Tinordi and Beaulieau? We've been planning and pining for this mythical d corporation for three years. The Seguin and Vanek trades are examples that the blockbuster trades still are in play.

I don't have an issue with making a trade. I've learned here in Florida that it's a crapshoot to sit back and wait for the kids to save the day. What's the point of resigning both Diaz and Markov and keeping both Tinordi and Beaulieau?

My answer to that would be another question, what if both Tinordi and Beaulieu still need development time next year? They certainly aren't ready now. Re-signing both would give them a chance to hedge their bets. Both Tinordi/Beaulieu have another year of waiver exemption, keeping Markov/Diaz for next year gives them quality NHL options and then beyond that, they could work the youngsters into the lineup accordingly.

Without strolling too far off topic, lost in the Subban negotiation reports (that they'll start soon), so too will extension talks with Diaz apparently. Assuming that's true and that they'll want to re-sign Markov, there's a chance that this scenario winds up happening.

Just that for me I think when a team has needs and surpluses you address the issue. Markov and Diaz aren't going to sign one year extensions. It could even happen at forward. We're deep, but we need a game breaker or two. Overcoming injuries is key, but imo less important when you're a bubble team.

Bourque

Plekanec

Pacioretty

Bournival

Leblanc

Beaulieu

Nygren

Diaz

1st round pick

2nd round pick

Three of these gets you a Bobby Ryan, Tyler Seguin, Thomas Vanek or Marian Gaborik.

On bold moves: what I would really like to know is whether people can look at this organization and honestly project a Cup contender within, say, 2-3 years.

Habs circa 2016-17

C

Galchenyuk - PPG player;

Eller - 60-point guy;

Plekanec - declining but seasoned all-around guy

White

W

Pacioretty - 1st liner;

Gallagher - 1st/2nd-liner;

Bournival - 2nd liner;

X

X

X

X
X

X

D

Subban - top-5 in hockey;

Emelin - solid shutdown guy;

Tinordi - solid stay at home guy;

Beaulieu - emerging offensive D-man;

Markov - on his last legs, still useful with managed minutes (?)

X

Is this really a Cup-worthy core, with enough pieces within the system coming up that we can plausibly say we have enough that, with one or two key UFA signings, we're Finals bound? Because if it isn't, then we do need to be thinking in terms of bold moves. Otherwise, stay the course. This year isn't the year, and never was going to be.

On bold moves: what I would really like to know is whether people can look at this organization and honestly project a Cup contender within, say, 2-3 years.

Habs circa 2016-17

C

Galchenyuk - PPG player;

Eller - 60-point guy;

Plekanec - declining but seasoned all-around guy

White

W

Pacioretty - 1st liner;

Gallagher - 1st/2nd-liner;

Bournival - 2nd liner;

X

X

X

X

X

X

D

Subban - top-5 in hockey;

Emelin - solid shutdown guy;

Tinordi - solid stay at home guy;

Beaulieu - emerging offensive D-man;

Markov - on his last legs, still useful with managed minutes (?)

X

Is this really a Cup-worthy core, with enough pieces within the system coming up that we can plausibly say we have enough that, with one or two key UFA signings, we're Finals bound? Because if it isn't, then we do need to be thinking in terms of bold moves. Otherwise, stay the course. This year isn't the year, and never was going to be.

Depends on the wingers. Those are the pieces but there's only about 100 goals on the board.

My answer to that would be another question, what if both Tinordi and Beaulieu still need development time next year? They certainly aren't ready now. Re-signing both would give them a chance to hedge their bets. Both Tinordi/Beaulieu have another year of waiver exemption, keeping Markov/Diaz for next year gives them quality NHL options and then beyond that, they could work the youngsters into the lineup accordingly.

Without strolling too far off topic, lost in the Subban negotiation reports (that they'll start soon), so too will extension talks with Diaz apparently. Assuming that's true and that they'll want to re-sign Markov, there's a chance that this scenario winds up happening.

Got no issue extending Diaz, although many here seem to not be fond of, but if they can, I would hope Markov isn't done till late in season. Just to see how he holds up with 25+ minutes/night.

And I would trade anyone, as long as package makes sense coming back. Like sens deal for Ryan seems a fair one.

Depends on the wingers. Those are the pieces but there's only about 100 goals on the board.

That's kinda what I mean. Where's the rest gonna come from? Is it in the system? I don't know, I rely on the insights of those more expert than I. With that many holes, I think it's reasonable to say there's room for doubt.