Nov. 16, Rangers vs Habs, 7:00 PM

Meller93

Yeah, we're a bubble team, but the East is full of bubble teams. We definitely still need a scorer, which has always been the case in Montreal.

Lovett, you seem to me to be one of the most bipolar guys on this site. After each loss the team is worthless or should tank and after each win we're a team full of young superstars. Everyone here is guilty of this to a certain extent, but it seems like your highs and lows are more pronounced.

I wish we could swing a reasonable deal for Yak. I don't think they can get rid of Briere or DD so he should be adding solid young assets looking two or three years out. We also need another Prust type. Move where we bring in some grit.

Frankly, it is depressing watching Toronto with three or four sharpshooters winning games because they can score.

I don't care what anyone says. To me, Toronto has been through all the right growing pains: they went through a season where they had a great first half, then flamed out disastrously; then they made the playoffs, only to lose due to a catastrophic game seven collapse. They have improved over each of the previous two seasons and have taken another step this year.

I'm not sure what lessons there are here for us. One is not to throw guys under the bus no matter how uneven is their path of development (e.g., Reimer). Another may be to not fear bold moves. And a third may be not to neglect the physical aspect of the game.

A swing-for-the-fences move for Yakupov wouldn't be for the faint of heart...but it would certainly be interesting. ;)

EDIT: Harper to appear on AC! Just when you thought they had run out of assholes to throw at our TV screens, they go and get the great granddaddy of Canadian assholes. Oy.

I'm not prepared to go this far. Every indicator is that Bergevin is playing the long game. If he thought we were contenders, he never would have signed Briere, which was a patchup job to tide us over until the team is scheduled to contend (i.e., in about two years). We'll know more from his actions at the deadline this season...or any big move he makes before then.

Breire was signed because of his playoff stats - which really doesn't help us get in the playoffs. Here are the MB flubs to date:

- Not signing Subban before the lockout for 12 years

-not signing Jagr last year

-not signing Subban to 8 years last years

-resigning both Bouillon and DD to extensions in a year the cap was going down - no reason to jump the gun signing these two turkeys

-not signing Jagr this summer

-Not trying to move DD over the summer

-signing Parros, rather than actually trying to get a big body that can play a regular shift.

Holland, White, Leblanc, Bournival are all likely better choices and Eller, #27 and #11 shouldnt get less ice than DD should they?.

I've been saying that since last year about the ice time DD gets versus the EGG line.

I'm not prepared to go this far. Every indicator is that Bergevin is playing the long game. If he thought we were contenders, he never would have signed Briere, which was a patchup job to tide us over until the team is scheduled to contend (i.e., in about two years). We'll know more from his actions at the deadline this season...or any big move he makes before then.

He doesn't have the benefit of the doubt to play the long game through the draft. He needs some kind of success, if they miss the playoffs this year, and start next year like this year, Therrien is gone and MB might make the desperation trades we all know so well

iF Gallegher is sick, play Briere or Maxpac with Galchenyuk and Eller. Dd getting more ice time is plain lunacy, stupidity, idiocy and bullshit.

I might be in the minority but I thought Briere with Pacioretty and Bourque were playing pretty good together. I would've put Prust with Galchenyuk and Eller, Briere centering Pacioretty and Bourque, and Bournival on Plekanec line. I probably would've just sat Gallagher or played him the 7-8 minutes on the 4th line that Bournival got tonight. Hindsight is... wait nvm I think most people complained that Therrien would use Desharnais this game too much after the shootout win and it wouldn't work.

I don't care what anyone says. To me, Toronto has been through all the right growing pains: they went through a season where they had a great first half, then flamed out disastrously; then they made the playoffs, only to lose due to a catastrophic game seven collapse. They have improved over each of the previous two seasons and have taken another step this year.

I'm not sure what lessons there are here for us. One is not to throw guys under the bus no matter how uneven is their path of development (e.g., Reimer). Another may be to not fear bold moves. And a third may be not to neglect the physical aspect of the game.

A swing-for-the-fences move for Yakupov wouldn't be for the faint of heart...but it would certainly be interesting. ;)

EDIT: Harper to appear on AC! Just when you thought they had run out of assholes to throw at our TV screens, they go and get the great granddaddy of Canadian assholes. Oy.

I'd actually be interested in a multi-player deal with the Jets with maxPac and Kane as the centre pieces.

Holland, White, Leblanc, Bournival are all likely better choices and Eller, #27 and #11 shouldnt get less ice than DD should they?.

When they are sick? Seriously, Gally shouldn't have even been in the game and Eller and Chucky looked slow and tired. Mt would have played them more if he could. He has been for weeks.

Breire was signed because of his playoff stats - which really doesn't help us get in the playoffs. Here are the MB flubs to date:

-resigning both Bouillon and DD to extensions in a year the cap was going down - no reason to jump the gun signing these two turkeys

-signing Parros, rather than actually trying to get a big body that can play a regular shift.

None of these except the Subban file are in any way mistakes with any long-term ramifications for the rebuild.

Bergevin has to be given time. If we take a win-now-at-all-costs mentality with this team, we will be consigning ourselves to yet another decade of mediocrity.

That said, I wouldn't throw myself under a bus if MB makes a bold multi-player trade of the sort Habs29 describes (with Max and Kane as centrepieces) - provided we're adding young pieces. Preying on Edmonton is another possibility.

Yeah, we're a bubble team, but the East is full of bubble teams. We definitely still need a scorer, which has always been the case in Montreal.

Lovett, you seem to me to be one of the most bipolar guys on this site. After each loss the team is worthless or should tank and after each win we're a team full of young superstars. Everyone here is guilty of this to a certain extent, but it seems like your highs and lows are more pronounced.

I guess that's true on both counts. When we win, the young guns do it, and when they can't score three goals we get games like tonight. When it comes to rhetoric, I have a flair for the dramatic, it comes with the territory of being a South Florida sales manager.

• Upvote 2

None of these except the Subban file are in any way mistakes with any long-term ramifications for the rebuild.

Bergevin has to be given time. If we take a win-now-at-all-costs mentality with this team, we will be consigning ourselves to yet another decade of mediocrity.

Not signing Jagr does have long term ramifications. Having a guy like Jagr as a role model for Gally squared, Eller, MaxPac and any other young prospects like Bournival is much better than having them to look up to Bourque - or down at Briere and DD.

Resigning Bouillon who everyone knows MT will overuse also takes away time from other dman. Would any of our 3 prospects from Hamilton turn over the puck more or know players INTO Price more than Bouillon does??

I guess that's true on both counts. When we win, the young guns do it, and when they can't score three goals we get games like tonight. When it comes to rhetoric, I have a flair for the dramatic, it comes with the territory of being a South Florida sales manager.

Haha, I guess that's what works on those cougars and mid-life-crisis snowbirds!

Not signing Jagr does have long term ramifications. Having a guy like Jagr as a role model for Gally squared, Eller, MaxPac and any other young prospects like Bournival is much better than having them to look up to Bourque - or down at Briere and DD.

Resigning Bouillon who everyone knows MT will overuse also takes away time from other dman. Would any of our 3 prospects from Hamilton turn over the puck more or know players INTO Price more than Bouillon does??

That's a good point about Jagr's effect in the locker room. He's one of the hardest workers in the gym as well, and having a living legend to look up to would have been helpful for a guy like Galchenyuk that we hope turns into a legend himself. And most importantly, we could have got him for one year and given ourselves more freedom in the summer.

But, it's spilled milk, we just have to hope Bergevin stops spilling it.

Subban was handles just fine and will be signed to an eight year deal now. I have no issue with the way MB handled this.

I wish he signed Jagr too, but I am not convinced Jagr wanted to come.

His mistake was signing DD, I have no idea if he tried to move him, but I can't imagine anyone taking him.

Briere was a mistake, IMO. I am not sure if it hurt us that bad though as there was no one else left to sign. I wish he had found a way to get Bolland,

I am not upset with the cube signing. I could go either way.

In the end, his only big mistakes I see are signing DD and Briere. Signing one is a small mistake, but once he was stuck with DD, adding Briere too was a big mistake.

On the other hand, if Pacs and Bourque were playing better, we might not be having this conversation. Certainly, no one expected Pacs to struggle this much.

A couple games of bring snake bitten. Not going to panic.

That was the most boring game of hockey I've watched since the crease rule era.

Yup. If you think about it, there have been a number of games this year that were just as bad except when the EGG line was on the ice. They were not able to do their stuff due to illness and no one took up the slack. I can't believe how bad the rest of the forwards have been this year. Progression would have been the EGG line being a solid second line this year, not our only line. Pleks has been the next best but he should be our number three shutdown guy and he is. I think the real issue is DD, pacs, and Briere were expected to be at least as good as the EGG line, but are actually worse then a fourth line.

Would any of our 3 prospects from Hamilton turn over the puck more or know players INTO Price more than Bouillon does??

Yeah, probably. I know you don't follow the minors (otherwise this wouldn't even be a question) but Tinordi and Beaulieu have been terrible this year down there. Pateryn has been better but also struggled the most in his NHL stint. They're not ready yet.

I wouldn't say they are snake nit. They make every goalie look good. 3 back ups in row?

I would say they forwards don't pay the price to get to the tough areas to score goals. . (EGG line excluded).

The defense is clueless in the offensive zone minus Markov and Subban who play together. The rest can't hit the net 2 out of of 10 times. I think Diaz' only goal was going 5 feet wide and was deflected.

until they get the desire, work ethic and grit in the offensive zone, back up goalies will shut these guys down.

Pleks and Gionta are making a lot of money to score, not to check.

Yup. If you think about it, there have been a number of games this year that were just as bad except when the EGG line was on the ice. They were not able to do their stuff due to illness and no one took up the slack. I can't believe how bad the rest of the forwards have been this year. Progression would have been the EGG line being a solid second line this year, not our only line. Pleks has been the next best but he should be our number three shutdown guy and he is. I think the real issue is DD, pacs, and Briere were expected to be at least as good as the EGG line, but are actually worse then a fourth line.

Yeah, that's pretty solid analysis. I think Pleks and Gio have played well this season, by and large, although their numbers are lower than they should be. But as you say, they're not the problem; the problem is all the passengers - Bourque, Briere, Desharnais, and Pacioretty. You can't succeed with that many veteran forwards dogging it (although Patches has had his moments at least; the other three? Feh). We're supposed to be a team that can roll three lines - we're built that way - but if 4 of your top-9 forwards are stinking out the joint, that makes that impossible. There's the basic problem right there.

And come to think of it, we never did replace Cole in the top-6. Briere might as well be nothing.

One partial solution might be Bournival. Throw him in there with a lot of ice. But that's not MT's style (a 'protected minutes' style that puts young players in a position to succeed, rather than throwing them out there as replacements for useless vets). I would try it for 2-3 games, though. See if he can rise to the occasion.

And I'm not even sure you can blame Therrien the way most fans seem to be doing. Again: four out of the top nine forwards are sucking ass. That's not Therrien's fault. It's nobody's fault really, except maybe the players themselves, and perhaps the GM's for believing they could be relied upon to do the job.

Other than that, there's nothing to be done, other than trade, or else just hope the vets can work their way back to top-9 calibre performances.

A couple games of bring snake bitten. Not going to panic.

That was the most boring game of hockey I've watched since the crease rule era.

Got to agree and was not the most entertaining game.

Neither team did anything of note, other than Price looking pretty much bullet-proof and ....if only he could score also he might have a few more Ws.

Are goalies allowed to participate in shootout?

Yeah, probably. I know you don't follow the minors (otherwise this wouldn't even be a question) but Tinordi and Beaulieu have been terrible this year down there. Pateryn has been better but also struggled the most in his NHL stint. They're not ready yet.

I think I'd rather deal with the mistakes of Beaulieu as long as it meant he was on the 2nd PP unit over Bouillon. We're a 1 unit team that is somehow 4th in the league. That won't last.