Jan. 11, Chicago vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

Who says they arnt contenders? :D

great game, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

What a shot. Crawford kept the Hawks in the game. Very quiet night for Kane.

Being crushed by Emelin a few times took him out of the game. Subban also was amazing against the Toews line

I sure wish they played like that every night. Fantastic game.

Bourque looked like he had some jump but did nothing in the end. That tends to happen when you take a month off in between games.

Gally looks like he is struggling a bit. Lots of go, but looking like DD at the start of the season. Hope he gets the hands back. I worry about him playing a long season. He looks easier and easier to push around.

Pleks is on fire lately. Imagine if he had wingers.

I sure wish they played like that every night. Fantastic game.

Bourque looked like he had some jump but did nothing in the end. That tends to happen when you take a month off in between games.

Gally looks like he is struggling a bit. Lots of go, but looking like DD at the start of the season. Hope he gets the hands back. I worry about him playing a long season. He looks easier and easier to push around.

Pleks is on fire lately. Imagine if he had wingers.

imagine if had more finish

Well Paros was a plus 1 in his 3 minutes of time.

The best they have played in a month. Too bad they put forward those efforts more often.

I liked the Eller line, has a lot of scoring chances.

The PP was brutal, all you have to do is cover Markov and Subban and the forwards are clueless out there. Heck, they get mote chances short handed.

What a treat tonight. The boys really put on a show.

Markov had a great night - and not just on the scoresheet. Plex was a man one army in the Hawks zone in the extra period. And, it was amazing to see Emelin back in BEAST mode again. Made a huge impression. Overall a fantastic game to watch.

What a treat tonight. The boys really put on a show.

Markov had a great night - and not just on the scoresheet. Plex was a man one army in the Hawks zone in the extra period. And, it was amazing to see Emelin back in BEAST mode again. Made a huge impression. Overall a fantastic game to watch.

Great game to watch, but I'm still cautiously optimistic. Emelin played well, but while Kane is difficult to hit, he is a pretty small (albeit shifty) player. Markov was great. Subban was great. But really, this was the best game Pleks has played in around 4 years.

What a game from Pleks. He can elevate it against the opposition's top players. Behind a real #1 centre, he's the PERFECT two way guy.

Markov had his best game in a long while, same for Prust, and Subban was good despite looking bad on the Chicago goal. Bourque also played his best game in forever. Therrien said we saw the real Emelin tonight.

Patrick Sharp didn't look like Team Canada material on this night - completely flubbed a few golden chances.

This was a well-deserved victory for the Habs against an elite team.

One thing that really stood out to me watching this game, was Chicago's ability to get out of their zone fast. They are a small fast transition team with a wealth of talent up front, but you have to imagine that if the Habs had a better second pairing, the forwards wouldn't have to play back so much. I still think Habs need a defenseman before a forward. Buy I would take either depending on who.

What an exciting game for such low shots. Major excitement. The save on Eller was amazing. The Towes tic tac toe goal was poetry. Sorry hossa goal, but Towes did all the work. Eller, Emelin, Plek, Gionta, were awesome tonight. Gio has no power in his shot any more. Kind of sad. Price and Marky were awesome as usual.

• Upvote 1

OK I am confused, who was the team in the red uniforms with that ch on the chest? I remember hearing about them a long time ago but that was not the canadiens we have been seeing lately. :)

Guest Stogey24

You know, Chicago didn't play that great, but the Habs do ok against fast teams that are not physical. Unfortunately, they need to be able to beat physical teams too.

That's exactly it. I didn't watch the game, but when the Canadiens aren't getting pushed around in a game, they can be dangerous team.

Well! We're in for a hell of Stanley Cup Final this season ;)

For the entire "smurf" era, it's been the same story. The Habs reliably do great against smaller, elite, east-west teams like Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver, When we play such teams we get spectacular hockey (as was obvious even from watching Canadiens express last night) and a team that very often wins. What we can't do, of course, is beat the north-south, bruising teams - the Phillys or St Louises of the world - with any regularity, notwithstanding our ability to give the Prunes really tough games.

The other thing with a team of smurfs is that they can't bring their "A" game in the regular season with high-end consistency. They just get too ground down, too beat up. Hence the lacklustre stretches that have fans ripping their hair out.

The annoying thing is that this hasn't changed since 2010. Three GMs later - same story! :nuts: What we need to do is to become like Chicago, a small team that nonetheless can regularly beat anybody, not just teams of a certain profile. (Watching the Hawks, they resembled no one so much as the classic Montreal Canadiens teams of yore: not hulking, but simply all-around superb. Damn, that Towes is a slick player).

This game shows a couple of other things. One, the team yet again rallied with a superb effort after a no-show. This team is still responding to Therrien and still has a lot of internal pride. Two, when this team does marshal its "A" game it is very good. We won't do well if we run up against too many north-south, physical, big teams (Ottawa, Philly), but we might do some damage in the playoffs if we get OK matchups and do manage to put it all together.

OK I am confused, who was the team in the red uniforms with that ch on the chest? I remember hearing about them a long time ago but that was not the canadiens we have been seeing lately. :)

I think we saw the 2014 cupwinners who shocked the world (Canada)!

don't listen to that pragmatic 29Retired guy.

:rolleyes: Um, they scored twice last night. And I don't care if they score two goals per game provided they only surrender one. What do you want them to do, blow out the defending Cup champions?

The team needs help on the wings. No question. Bourque and to a lesser extent Gio are dead weight. However, when the playoffs come around, I'm quite certain that Gionta will produce (if he's healthy). Book it.

Even when they paly there A game, they can still only score once.

Pleks has played with Gionta all year, the other winger has switched numerous times and players.

They were not playing chumps and the Montreal kid in nets made a save or two to keep Hawks close.

I don't really count overtime goals or shoot goals. Just what they score in a 60 minute game. 4 on 4 and shoot outs are gimics IMO.

They will still need to start finishing there their chances,

I thought they played great, just can't score.

For the entire "smurf" era, it's been the same story. The Habs reliably do great against smaller, elite, east-west teams like Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver, When we play such teams we get spectacular hockey (as was obvious even from watching Canadiens express last night) and a team that very often wins. What we can't do, of course, is beat the north-south, bruising teams - the Phillys or St Louises of the world - with any regularity, notwithstanding our ability to give the Prunes really tough games.

Nah, I remember us getting completely outclassed whenever we played that dominant Detroit team a few years back (which fits the same profile as this current Chicago group). We also gave St Louis a pretty decent game early in the year, although they won deservedly. Your analysis is reductive - the main variable in how good of a game we give an elite team is not their size, but our own effort and cohesion (of course; it's almost tautalogical).

Seeing how the smurf era teams can beat the big bad Bruins, or gave them a hell of a series when bigger teams couldn't, just shows that size is one tool that can be effective or circumvented, like any other. We didn't outshoot the Cup champs by 18 because our style meshed with theirs - they had an off night while we played together. Philly, by the way, is not the hulking team of yore (they rank 24th in average weight), and similarly, we didn't lay a goose egg there because of their size - we played like crap and whatever they managed was more than enough to take care of business. If we turn in an effort like last night's we can give any team in the league a serious run.

Sure, it's tough for a team with our average build to match up with bigger opponents, but it's also tough for a slower, less-skilled team to match up with us. We don't have a sum total of these attributes to be considered elite, which is why St Louis and LA are in a different stratosphere - not so much because of size in particular.