Does Vanek re-sign => Habs win the Cup?

nihilz

Could he let his personal life affect his career to such a degree? Granted, The Wild have a pretty strong nucleus. I'd obviously rather have Vanek over Gaborik if he were to be the $7M replacement. I'd personally rather overpay to get Vrbata than risk Gaborik to term.

Gaborik back to Minny makes more sense anyways.. hehehe

hmm?

I dont want to speculate in this before it actually happens but I think that if a certain defenceman wearing #76 continues his play we wont afford both and if I have to pick Id keep #76.

I feel winning the cup means he moves to a town he prefers. I think coming close to winning (especially closer than Minny) but not winning gives Montreal the best chance of signing him.

I feel winning the cup means he moves to a town he prefers. I think coming close to winning (especially closer than Minny) but not winning gives Montreal the best chance of signing him.

Paradoxically, I agree that coming close, but not winning gives us the best chance of resigning Vanek, but actually, winning the Cup would assuage any pain that I might feel if he signs elsewhere

First, slow down, big fella. We have a LOOONG way to go even to get out of Round Two, let alone win the big tamale.

In the hypothetical scenario of our actually, miraculously, winning it all, Vanek walks for sure. He will have achieved a major career objective and will feel liberated to do what best serves his personal life. Also, when you win a Cup, the value of all your players typically goes up. That will mean even less salary cap room for Vanek. Conversely, if we go deep and lose, Vanek may feel that this group is his best chance to win it all, and the calculation shifts.

I hope we can keep both PK (if we don't keep this player, I will seriously reconsider my fandom, and I'm not kidding) and Vanek. Because both are absolutely crucial pieces to this puzzle. We have nobody even remotely comparable in our system, so that's the profile of a player for whom you have to overpay and are justified in doing so.

• Upvote 1

I agree with Stogey, I don't even want to think about this right now!

Yes I would love to be able to resign Vanek, but not at ANY price!

Whatever the price, it will be higher than you want to pay. That's the reality of UFAs.

I posted a link the other day (it may be off the main page but in the link archive on the site) about Vanek from Sportsnet (it's the one that's in the current edition of their magazine). In there, it recounted how he forced Buffalo into signing him to a max rookie contract (typically only reserved for #1 picks after threatening to transfer to junior to force himself to UFA sooner than the college route) before getting the big offer sheet from Edmonton when that deal was up. If history repeats itself, money will have more of an impact than I think some want to admit.

I posted a link the other day (it may be off the main page but in the link archive on the site) about Vanek from Sportsnet (it's the one that's in the current edition of their magazine). In there, it recounted how he forced Buffalo into signing him to a max rookie contract (typically only reserved for #1 picks after threatening to transfer to junior to force himself to UFA sooner than the college route) before getting the big offer sheet from Edmonton when that deal was up. If history repeats itself, money will have more of an impact than I think some want to admit.

Very sad but very true. They are programmed from a young age to get the max $$$. He has the right to get as much money as he can. Who knows he gets a Lucic spear to the nuts and his career is over. His career as a stud that is. :) . Anyway the point being that you never know when this hockey career can end. He only has so long he can play and he has to make enough to provide for his family no matter what happens. At least that is the theory. We probably cannot afford him at what he will be paid by someone else. But he has proven my theory that all this team really needs is one sniper and maybe an upgrade on a couple of long in the tooth guys that we have.

I think that if the only reason Vanek won't sign here is that we cannot afford Vanek, then Bergevin should make the moves to be able to afford Vanek.

Pull some creativity to sign that top line W please. No backup plan unless it's absolutely necessary.

I think that if the only reason Vanek won't sign here is that we cannot afford Vanek, then Bergevin should make the moves to be able to afford Vanek.

Pull some creativity to sign that top line W please. No backup plan unless it's absolutely necessary.

Forget about it.

Even if Bergevin offers good $,

it would be very difficult to squeeze him under cap, no matter what moves are made,

he is unlikely to move to Canada,

he is 30 and likely best years behind him (or we can tell ourselves that when he signs with Rangers or Philly).

Forget about it.

Even if Bergevin offers good $,

it would be very difficult to squeeze him under cap, no matter what moves are made,

he is unlikely to move to Canada,

he is 30 and likely best years behind him (or we can tell ourselves that when he signs with Rangers or Philly).

the fact that he is 30 and a goal scorer suggests that yes his best years are behind him, even Lafleur and Gretzky lost the goal scoring touch after 30.

So lets be happy he is here now, and gives us a better shot at beating the despicable villanous brooons. As M Farber says who cares about next year lets win this series MB will look after next year.

the fact that he is 30 and a goal scorer suggests that yes his best years are behind him, even Lafleur and Gretzky lost the goal scoring touch after 30.

So lets be happy he is here now, and gives us a better shot at beating the despicable villanous brooons. As M Farber says who cares about next year lets win this series MB will look after next year.

Another 15 or so game will have to do!

Guest Stogey24

30 is young. I would sign him to a 5 year deal in a heart beat. Not to mention Vanek's hand eye is unreal, he can just post up in front of the net for the rest of his career.

30 is young. I would sign him to a 5 year deal in a heart beat. Not to mention Vanek's hand eye is unreal, he can just post up in front of the net for the rest of his career.

Don't matter. He would laugh at signing a 5 year deal. You know GMs and they are generally kooky bunch who feel need to toss huge term/$$ around, to outdo each other.

He cant fit under cap and Bergevin already hinted as much.

And he wont relocate to Canada and will go to highest bidder.

And 30 isn't young if he is bound to get a 6-7 year deal at max $$.

But, yes of course might be nice to sign him, but got to sign Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Subban-Markov-Eller etc. 7-8 years is too long for a 30something player.

But

yeah. Ultimately, I don't think it's in either Vanek's or Montreal's best interests to make a deal. Vanek will get overpaid, for too long. And he should take that deal.

I just don't want to be the team that is saddled with the contract.

• Upvote 1