Canadiens vs Boston Game #5 May 10th 7PM est

DON

Lovett...the question is whether this gang has one more great effort in them. I agree that, with the way the games have gone in Boston, it's simply unrealistic to expect them to pull out a Game Seven victory. But we were the Bruins' equals at home ice. If we bring our "A" game we can definitely win Game Six.

Gionta was terrible tonight too...forgot to mention him in the 'goat list'

Regardless of what happens this year - and that includes if we come back and win this series, or even win the cup. I don't want Gionta back next year. We absolutely cannot have DD, Gionta, Galleghar in our top 9.

Gionta has been a warrior, but I'd rather get some new blood in next year.

Murrey and Boulian shake their hands and tell them don't let the door hit their ass on the way out.

THis has nothing to do with the piss poor game he played tonight, because i love the guy, But i'll reiterate something i've been saying all year. Let's see if we can get a power forward like Kane for Pleks. Eller has shown that he can be the shutdown centre.

We need to give Galchenyuk his shot and a top 3 centre configuration of DD, Galchenyuk and Eller should be an upgrade if we can get each of them a solid finisher (i.e. MaxPac, Kane, Galleghar). we saw what a huge impact Vanek had.

Lastly, move Bourque. I don't care if we go on to win the cup and he scores a hat trick and the cup winner in the final game. I have zero confidence i him becoming a consistent player.

Anyway, back to this series. Let's get Beaulieu in for Murrey on Monday and send prust back to the infirmary. Do we have a anyone in the black aces that could provide a scoring threat, or is Briere the only option???? Man, we could really use Galchenyuk!!!

ah that would be the whole bostob team . What do Chara and Lucic look like. OH hey we have found the missing links.

They lost one primate to Edmonton last year, but Chara, Lucic, Thornton, Campbell all look like primates to me and Marchand looks like what you get when you mate a gorilla with a chimp.

Lovett...the question is whether this gang has one more great effort in them. I agree that, with the way the games have gone in Boston, it's simply unrealistic to expect them to pull out a Game Seven victory. But we were the Bruins' equals at home ice. If we bring our "A" game we can definitely win Game Six.

I think they can win game 6, but they're done like dinner.

Like meeting your wife some times you just know.

ah that would be the whole bostob team . What do Chara and Lucic look like. OH hey we have found the missing links.

Quite a leap from another species!

Murray we can debate...Prust? MT just plain messed the bed on that one. The only good side of that decision is that Briere will be extra fired-up when he slots back in for next game. (My favourite comment about Therrien tonight came from H I/O: "One good sign, MT did not bench Subban tonight" :lol:)

If it was Subban who took those penalties, he would have sat on the bench the whole game.

I've been thinking about Galy all series. He could be that extra ingredient that could alter a key moment in a key game. But really, the Habs are pretty healthy. You can't ask for much more from the hockey gods on that front.

Put Briere in. Myself, I'd be inclined to go back to Honey Boo-Boo. If you're gonna go down, go down with the team that got you this far. Boo Boo played blood and guts and even chipped in offensively, if we'll recall. We're 1-2 with Murray, time to close the book on that experiment. I don't think that Game Six is the moment to acclimatize Beaulieu to the NHL. You have vets for these moments.

Agree that Gio can go. I haven't thought too much about the roster as a whole beyond that, at least not since the playoffs started. Right now it's all about Game Six.

Oh yes we can.

Agree with Honey Boo Boo. He's got lots of speed and can contribute to the offence. Don't know what to think of Briere, but is was a beauty pass he stuck up the middle of the ice the other day. Our first line is depressing but so many first lines are held to low production by relentless attention.

Very Very tough loss tonight. I think we have been outcoached. Julien has the refs believing that the Broons got a bad go round at first. MT shrugs it off when he should be on the attack. I don't give a fiddlers fork who got the better of the deal in reality BUT we was jobbed dammit (weather we were or not). The patches penalty was bs. No penalty at all. How many missed calls on the Habs? A lot. Send film to league. Claude Julien played the right cards. The refs are human they see and hear. Julien got in their head. Our guy shrugs and says that's ok. Prust is a warrior but he obviously is not in a position to help the club at this time. Put patches dd and vanek back together . Quit forking with everybody's head. this is the forking playoffs. If you haven't taught them what they need to know in 82 games , it's too late. This is not the time for team building lessons. You are still trying reign Subban in, ARE YOU COMPLETLY CRAZY? We still have a slim chance (if he is still in town) of taking this series but we need better coaching. That team tonite tried hard and gave it all but they were overmatched. We need to try something new/old . Briere is the playoff god, and you sit him , well that worked out. Put hm back in, and not on the 4 th line lets try putting some guys with skill with him. Use your best assets and let them do what they do best. Quit thinking you are some kind of guru. Coaches don't win games, players do. It is your job to help them be the best that they can be. OK now on to the Vodka, cause this hurts a lot.

I've been thinking about Galy all series. He could be that extra ingredient that could alter a key moment in a key game. But really, the Habs are pretty healthy. You can't ask for much more from the hockey gods on that front.

Put Briere in. Myself, I'd be inclined to go back to Honey Boo-Boo. If you're gonna go down, go down with the team that got you this far. Boo Boo played blood and guts and even chipped in offensively, if we'll recall. We're 1-2 with Murray, time to close the book on that experiment. I don't think that Game Six is the moment to acclimatize Beaulieu to the NHL. You have vets for these moments.

Agree that Gio can go. I haven't thought too much about the roster as a whole beyond that, at least not since the playoffs started. Right now it's all about Game Six.

First of all - who's fault is it that Beaulieu didn't get time at the end of the year??

Secondly, Boston brought in a kid down 2-1, who scored the game winner AND got an insurance goal tonight. I'd rathe bring in a guy with the talent to be a difference maker. Play him 10-12 minutes and see if he can help us with the transition game, rather than being hemmed in our end like we are with Murrey.

• Upvote 1

I guess the Shawn Thornton incident will be discussed tomorrow for a fine.

With his behavior this year, he's saved us from him being in broadcasting for the next decade.

If it goes bad next game, hopefully they have the stones to take some runs at Rask/Bergeron/krug. Maybe it was my age, but when I knew I was going to lose the big one, I went out with some pretty fantastic sour grapes.

Habs29, maybe I'm too conservative. But I think Bouillon was excellent for the whole playoff EXCEPT Game Two. I'd dance with the lady that brung me. That said, yes, more ice time to Beaulieu and/or Tinordi over the course of this season might have been a good idea, especially since we're sort of stuck integrating them both into the lineup as un-seasoned youngsters next year. And maybe if Beaulieu in particular had played more towards the end, throwing him in now wouldn't seem like such a Hail Mary play.

Very Very tough loss tonight. I think we have been outcoached. Julien has the refs believing that the Broons got a bad go round at first. MT shrugs it off when he should be on the attack. I don't give a fiddlers fork who got the better of the deal in reality BUT we was jobbed dammit (weather we were or not). The patches penalty was bs. No penalty at all. How many missed calls on the Habs? A lot. Send film to league. Claude Julien played the right cards. The refs are human they see and hear. Julien got in their head. Our guy shrugs and says that's ok. Prust is a warrior but he obviously is not in a position to help the club at this time. Put patches dd and vanek back together . Quit forking with everybody's head. this is the forking playoffs. If you haven't taught them what they need to know in 82 games , it's too late. This is not the time for team building lessons. You are still trying reign Subban in, ARE YOU COMPLETLY CRAZY? We still have a slim chance (if he is still in town) of taking this series but we need better coaching. That team tonite tried hard and gave it all but they were overmatched. We need to try something new/old . Briere is the playoff god, and you sit him , well that worked out. Put hm back in, and not on the 4 th line lets try putting some guys with skill with him. Use your best assets and let them do what they do best. Quit thinking you are some kind of guru. Coaches don't win games, players do. It is your job to help them be the best that they can be. OK now on to the Vodka, cause this hurts a lot.

da fat lady ain't sung yet...

Nice post, habs rule! I do think MT is guilty of dodgy decisions tonight. I hate it when a coach thinks himself into knots. And his team seemed lacklustre; he's gotta wear that.

We came out great. One goal and then 32 spirit destroying seconds.

We're only human.

Regardless of what happens this year - and that includes if we come back and win this series, or even win the cup. I don't want Gionta back next year. We absolutely cannot have DD, Gionta, Galleghar in our top 9.

Gionta has been a warrior, but I'd rather get some new blood in next year.

Excellent logic. Regardless if we are the best team in the world or not, you don't want the Captain back, who has been a warrior. Even if he drinks from Lord Stanley's Cup, it's adios amigo, I want some new tall player blood!

I thought it was yet another tight game with few chances generated between the two teams. I think from a Montreal prospective, they now need to switch from a "business" approach, to an emotional approach. They got pissed off the last bit of the game and they finally started looking good.

I am beginning to hate hughson with a passion.

You're just starting to hate him now?

I've been on that train for years.

You figure with his love of the Canucks he'd be semi rooting for the Habs or at least show no favouritism but he's rock hard for Boston.

Prust is useless tonight. That's for sure. He won't be back next game.

Horrible coaching move. I said it before game 1 of the playoffs and even after the Tampa series I still think MT should be fired.

Victory key for next game: Tell Gallagher and Subban to stop reacting to everything and just skate away. That was how the Habs were successful early in the series and those two in particular didn't stick to that script tonight. Therrien has been preaching a business-like attitude for the series, they'll need that for Monday.

I'll have to disagree here as Gally and Subban were far and away the best skaters on the ice.

Great point by dlbalr. Get back to what got you here. Chris, early in the series several commentators noted that all the hitting isn't about winning that specific game, it's about collecting dividends later in the series. This was the first game where the Habs seemed kinda lacklustre...having been pounded on for four games straight could have something to do with them not having that "extra gear." (Although I still think last change is the real story).

PK for captain, eh, Habs29? Not such a crazy idea in my book.

PK won't be captain. At least not if MT is coaching. He should be though he's the best player on the team and the player who try's the hardest in big games. Playoffs included he's the best d man in the league.

First of all - who's fault is it that Beaulieu didn't get time at the end of the year??

Secondly, Boston brought in a kid down 2-1, who scored the game winner AND got an insurance goal tonight. I'd rathe bring in a guy with the talent to be a difference maker. Play him 10-12 minutes and see if he can help us with the transition game, rather than being hemmed in our end like we are with Murrey.

Yep MT did an awful job getting the kids ready for these playoffs.

Tinner and Nathan are both so superior to Murray and Frank. In fact Greg Pateryn is better than those two old past their prime dead weights.

You're just starting to hate him now?

I've been on that train for years.

You figure with his love of the Canucks he'd be semi rooting for the Habs or at least show no favouritism but he's rock hard for Boston.

Horrible coaching move. I said it before game 1 of the playoffs and even after the Tampa series I still think MT should be fired.

I'll have to disagree here as Gally and Subban were far and away the best skaters on the ice.

PK won't be captain. At least not if MT is coaching. He should be though he's the best player on the team and the player who try's the hardest in big games. Playoffs included he's the best d man in the league.

Yep MT did an awful job getting the kids ready for these playoffs.

Tinner and Nathan are both so superior to Murray and Frank. In fact Greg Pateryn is better than those two old past their prime dead weights.

NO NO you can't critisize MT he is "the genius" look at his regular regular season record. In Montreal we hang STANLEY CUP BANNERS dammit and this is NO EXCUSES time. Including that Scotch drinking tea leaf reading frigging coach we have. OK that is my littles rant for the night. Hopefully MT is sober for the next game. :habslogo:

You can NOT go into Boston and expect to out-tough the Bruins.... You just can't.

This lineup lost the game before the game even started.

It was an absolutely terrible coaching decision... one that set the tone for the whole game. You can not play Prust and Murray and decide that you are going to win a street fight with Boston. Will not happen with this lineup and with their lineup.

The way to beat them? Play to your strength.... Attack them with speed.

Make it a track meet, not a backyard brawl, and Therrien utterly failed to do that tonight.

Its funny.... the Bruins weren't afraid to play Krug last year, to play Fraser in this series. The ducks weren't afraid to play John Gibson with less NHL and AHL experience than both of our rookie defenceman (and drafted in the same draft as Beaulieu, in the second round). But therrien has such a hard on for experience that despite the fact that both Bouillion and Murray have let us down greatly in this series, we are going to continue to use them and not give the rookies a chance. Its crazy.

• Upvote 1

I would say it was beaulieu's fault. He had chances and didn't do enough to stay. Those Bruins kids were up due to injuries and were awesome for them. There are still injuries forcing some of them to still be up.

I understand you hate certain vets and love certain rookies, but let's not pretend every rookie we have would be a difference maker if only they got the chance. We have a large coaching staff, not just MT, watching them all carefully.

As for MT hating rookies... I seem to recall two rookies earning a spot and are still with us, in very prominent roles. One is on the first line! Tinordi and Beaulieu are not Krug. If they were, we would gave seen it during the season.

For me the issue is less Beaulieu and Tinordi per se - while each has undoubted potential, neither of them have particularly impressed, and I've been saying all along that it is a fallacy to assume that just because team X has put rookies on the back end, it MUST work for us as well. Everything depends on the specific players in question. But Commandant is right to say that we should be looking to double-down on our strengths. I really believe in that model. Play your game, not the other team's. Prust is neither fast nor effective in his injured state, so why put him in the lineup? Briere or even White would have been more representative of our team identity. As for Murray over other d-men, I can see it, but again, even Boo Boo is more representative of our team i.d. than this plodding outlier (at least Bouillon can make a transition play now and then, and his skating is still decent).

Therrien fell into the classic trap of doing what the other team wants. While I think the reason for our lacklustre play had to do with the combination of that tough-to-take OT goal + 32 seconds + horrendous lapses by a key team leader (Pleks), it's probably also tough to really be pumped when your coach is grinding against the team's fundamental identity.

All is not lost, however. Mistakes happen - what matters is how we respond. MT and staff had better work like madmen to recognize their errors and come up with new answers, new counter-measures. They need both to have a mistake-free Game Six, AND most importantly think hard about how we can beat these f**kers when we don't have last change. This is where great coaches can make their bones. I have never believed in Therrien and don't think he has it in him, but he should at least have this team primed to play a superb Game Six. No more mistakes.

Well, loss was partly my fault, with very weak GDT, even Neech's poor Pug couldn't help. :blush:

So gotta ask, why even show up to play/watch game #6?

Cause if win #6 you know will just get to lose #7, which is worse.

Because the Bruins are much better team, have superior coaching staff, ton of playoff experience, are bigger/tougher/smarter, don't dress a Murray and have a proven goalie, screw it mail it in.

21,273 will waste good $$ to see their team get manhandled and sent golfing.

Jeepers..it is just hopeless, does NHL maybe allow teams to concede games to avoid embarrassment.

Or possibly just sing the anthems and line up to shake hands, get it over quick-like.

Word of the day.

fick·le (fĭk′əl)

adj.
Characterized by erratic changeableness or instability, especially with regard to affections or attachments; capricious.