Hockey might be played tonight. Bruins @ Bell Centre, 7:30PM (SN360, RDS)

This is all coo-coo to me. Beaulieu is supposed to be an offensive defenceman and the organization's eventual Markov replacement. Now we are suddenly talking about turning him into a winger? What is he, Yanick Weber? Defenceman are always more valuable than forwards, so the move is by definition a downgrade; and instead of Beaulieu filling a fundamental organizational need it turns him into another disposable part. If this is supposed to be a short-term, game-by-game solution, then OK. But doing it as a regular thing is NOT going to help him become a better NHL defenceman; just the opposite.

Boo to this.

This is all coo-coo to me. Beaulieu is supposed to be an offensive defenceman and the organization's eventual Markov replacement. Now we are suddenly talking about turning him into a winger? What is he, Yanick Weber? Defenceman are always more valuable than forwards, so the move is by definition a downgrade; and instead of Beaulieu filling a fundamental organizational need it turns him into another disposable part. If this is supposed to be a short-term, game-by-game solution, then OK. But doing it as a regular thing is NOT going to help him become a better NHL defenceman; just the opposite.

Boo to this.

I don't think we're turning him into a forward, I think we're giving him extra ice-time at forward because as the 7th dressed defenseman, he's going to get less ice time than most and he needs to justify his roster spot.

The extra experience at forward is not a bad thing. Look at Brent Burns and Dustin Byfuglien - i love those guys. Actually, I could really see Beaulieu turning into a Byfuglien-type defender. That'd be good. A bit scary in his own end, but worth his spot. Let's see him start to put up Byfuglen-style numbers, though.

Boo to this.

Who said he will replace Markov (you of all people arnt putting him on pedestal yet are you?), he aint Markov, Markov was a forward turned into a d-man cause he was smart enough but even offensive d-men need to defend and he cant even do that in AHL.

This could be a relic of playing too much Yahoo fantasy hockey, but there are no players I covet more than guys who can slot in at both D or forward while putting up respectable forward numbers.

Boo to this.

Agree to that. It simply must be a game to game very short term thing. I liked how NB responded as he will do what ever it takes to make the team full time. On almost every team in the nhl he would be playing in the number 6 spot nightly. MT resistance to play young guys only reason he is not. I will give MT credit for bending his usual stance a tad. The MT i know would have sat NB is a heartbeat to play the old vet/buddy gonchar. He just could not do it. So he plays his vet and moves NB to wing and drops the new guy Thomas. Welcome to therriens world.

I have watched NB two years. He has what it take. Full of character and jam. He will be a Hab everyone is going to like in spite of MT.

That stat that the Habs are 9-1 with Sekac in the lineup is interesting. Could just be a fluke, of course, caused by small sample size. However, I'd point out that it seems to confirm what I've been saying about the way our team is built. We are made to roll three more-or-less interchangeable lines. When that 3rd line (Eller) gets going, we see this model blaze in all its glory: last year's playoffs, this year when Sekac/Eller/Prust are bringing it. When that third line flounders, the team looks closer to ordinary.

As for the Bruins, I almost feel sorry for them. Oh wait. NO I DON'T. 5-1. SUCK ON THAT, YOU TURDS!!!!!!!

LOL

and instead of Beaulieu filling a fundamental organizational need it turns him into another disposable part. If this is supposed to be a short-term, game-by-game solution, then OK. But doing it as a regular thing is NOT going to help him become a better NHL defenceman; just the opposite.

Agreed. I hate it when the Habs play d-men up front. I remember them doing it back in the days we had Matt Dandeneault. I hated it back then and I hate it now.

Stop wasting Beaulieu's time. If you aren't gonna play him at his natural position, send him back to the Bulldogs so he can at least get some playing time!

Since nobody mentioned it:

I have nothing against Ginette Reno, by any means. However, there were a couple of things about Briannah Donolo's performance i found far more inspiring.

Her singing was not bad, either.

• Upvote 1

I have nothing against Ginette Reno, by any means. However, there were a couple of things about Briannah Donolo's performance i found far more inspiring.

hahaha Both singers were just fine if you ask me :P

Yes I see exactly what you are talking about and agree wholeheartedly. :habslogo:

Boo to this.

100% agree. The kid needs to learn to play defence in the NHL. We messed up any chance Weber and Diaz had of becoming legitimate NHL dmen (Weber mores, because of his age) and i don't want to see the same mistake made with Beaulieu. I don't expect him to become a Norris calibre dmen. But I think he has potential to be better than Brisbios was.

Personally, I don't think Beaulieu's playing on the wing is going to hurt his development as long as it doesn't become a permanent arrangement. After all, Ice time is ice time and dressing is better than sitting in the press box. I do not see it as a permanent move...I think it was simply what was stated: they wanted to dress Gonchar, but they didn't want to end up with 5 D against Boston if he couldn't cope due to travel fatigue or other issues.

Like Weise, in very limited minutes he made a monster impact. In particular, if NB can consistently make the kind of move and pass from the back end that he used to set up Sekac's goal, he wont have to worry about D ice time for that long.

All in all, I am not that worried about the development of our young D men...Numerous young players struggle mightily when promoted to the show when they are not 100% physically or mentally ready for the role that is thrust on them---usually on a bad team. When was the last time you heard: " Team X ruined that young player by bringing him along too slowly and giving him too much time to develop"?

Overall, I am still basking in the afterglow of the team's best performance of the season and a comprehensive smashing of the Ruins in every possible respect. As an added bonus Gonchar actually looked pretty good and Weise buried the penalty shot. I couldn't have asked for anything more---except a couple o' more PP goals :rofl:

Personally, I don't think Beaulieu's playing on the wing is going to hurt his development as long as it doesn't become a permanent arrangement. After all, Ice time is ice time and dressing is better than sitting in the press box. I do not see it as a permanent move...I think it was simply what was stated: they wanted to dress Gonchar, but they didn't want to end up with 5 D against Boston if he couldn't cope due to travel fatigue or other issues.

Like Weise, in very limited minutes he made a monster impact. In particular, if NB can consistently make the kind of move and pass from the back end that he used to set up Sekac's goal, he wont have to worry about D ice time for that long.

All in all, I am not that worried about the development of our young D men...Numerous young players struggle mightily when promoted to the show when they are not 100% physically or mentally ready for the role that is thrust on them---usually on a bad team. When was the last time you heard: " Team X ruined that young player by bringing him along too slowly and giving him too much time to develop"?

Overall, I am still basking in the afterglow of the team's best performance of the season and a comprehensive smashing of the Ruins in every possible respect. As an added bonus Gonchar actually looked pretty good and Weise buried the penalty shot. I couldn't have asked for anything more---except a couple o' more PP goals :rofl:

Well put. :thumbs_up:

I know, eh?

Perhaps I should help clarify, for those who missed it:

EyeTVSnapshot321.jpg

I own a sports bar here in Connecticut..

For the first time in forever all my male (and female) customers were quiet during the anthems.

While drooling.

Nuf said.

I don't think Bourque earned a place. Hell, the habs should have tried hard to move him at the draft or the summer, instead of hoping that Bourque's playoff performance was anything but a mirage. In the summer, someone may have been stupid enough to trade for him.

It's a twofold thing. It's not just how they treated Bourque personally, but how his treatment would be perceived by the whole team and for any player considering playing for the Habs. They'd ask, "What does a guy have to do?", and rightly. The immediate facts were pretty obvious, but a very fair shot had to be given to him and it was. I think that's a sign of good management. If our results were worse, despite the bad overall play, then perhaps this might have accelerated the action, but I doubt it. I think it was exactly the right thing to do. We are dealing with human beings and justice is more than just a word.

I don't think we're turning him into a forward, I think we're giving him extra ice-time at forward because as the 7th dressed defenseman, he's going to get less ice time than most and he needs to justify his roster spot.

The extra experience at forward is not a bad thing. Look at Brent Burns and Dustin Byfuglien - i love those guys. Actually, I could really see Beaulieu turning into a Byfuglien-type defender. That'd be good. A bit scary in his own end, but worth his spot. Let's see him start to put up Byfuglen-style numbers, though.

I'm with you on this one and I think ChiCuke's surmize that it could be a temporary move to give a guy they have confidence in some valuable experience is what's happening. I think it'll be mucho fun to see what he can do up there as well. And how about "Bold" as a descriptor. How often do we see this kind of thing in the NHL. Some of you will actually know the answer to that question. I sure don't.

But I am looking forward to seeing it play out.. as they say.

Agree to that. It simply must be a game to game very short term thing. I liked how NB responded as he will do what ever it takes to make the team full time. On almost every team in the nhl he would be playing in the number 6 spot nightly. MT resistance to play young guys only reason he is not. I will give MT credit for bending his usual stance a tad. The MT i know would have sat NB is a heartbeat to play the old vet/buddy gonchar. He just could not do it. So he plays his vet and moves NB to wing and drops the new guy Thomas. Welcome to therriens world.

I have watched NB two years. He has what it take. Full of character and jam. He will be a Hab everyone is going to like in spite of MT.

He has to play his new D man .. a LOT. Whenever possible which is why he played a lot in the Boston game after it was beyond reach. He absolutely MUST be shown a lot of confidence if this gambit is to pay off. NB meanwhile is getting the message that no matter what happens, he's part of the team and we'll even make a new place for him. Win-win I think. I hope Gonchar finds a strong new wind under his sail and flies into our team with that great shot and obvious hockey sense. We should all wish him nothing but success.

You're doing the lord's work, son.

I own a sports bar here in Connecticut..

For the first time in forever all my male (and female) customers were quiet during the anthems.

While drooling.

Nuf said.

The Lord's work can be awfully beautiful alright. What a knockout! :pray: