Fire Bergevin

I think Bergevin has revealed himself to be a guy locked into information he absorbed when he was in Chicago.

E.g., he identified Weise when he was working in Chicago, championed Shaw when he was working in Chicago, fell in love with Danault likewise, probably scouted Bartley and DSP, and no doubt was profoundly impressed by the awesomeness of a 26-year-old behemoth called Shea Weber whenever the Hawks played Nashville.

Too many of his moves reflect this paradigm for it to be a coincidence. And it's probably not a coincidence that the more distant he gets from his Chicago period, the worse his decision-making seems to get. The info grows stale but he still clings to it.

He's a POS GM.

Thanks for the advice, didn't ask for it but . I wasn't the brainiac who brought up trading Price for a back-up goalie was.

Not sure what exactly trolling entails; but got to laugh at the idiotic "Habs are dead to me" reactions of many to the blockbuster trade.

What's 'idiotic' IMHO is failing to recognize that this organization puts the egos of its managers ahead of success on the ice. Amazing how some fans insist on embracing men who betray their trust as fans. If you're going to be a masochist, at least recognize that that's what's happening. And welcome to LeafLand.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice, didn't ask for it but . I wasn't the brainiac who brought up trading Price for a back-up goalie was.

Not sure what exactly trolling entails; but got to laugh at the idiotic "Habs are dead to me" reactions of many to the blockbuster trade.

You sound like someone who would be defending Harold Ballard and Mike Milbury if they were the owner/GM here.

What's 'idiotic' IMHO is failing to recognize that this organization puts the egos of its managers ahead of success on the ice. Amazing how some fans insist on embracing men who betray their trust as fans. If you're going to be a masochist, at least recognize that that's what's happening. And welcome to LeafLand.

They fail to recognize that hiring the best french speaking person available instead of The Best Person period is lunacy so why is putting management egos ahead of success so idiotic? LOL

Thanks for the advice, didn't ask for it but .

You ask for it...every topic, every post, with your anti-what ever everyone else thinks mantra. :monkey:

Mantra eh? Am not a Hindu nor Buddist but maybe should be?

Not sure what to say. Am I supposed to lie and say I hate this deal and agree with the crazy (but expected and somewhat understandable) overreaction.

You sound like someone who would be defending Harold Ballard and Mike Milbury if they were the owner/GM here.

Why? I am all for foreign players and while I did propose a Subban trade, I couldn't even think of one (other than Tavares) deal that made sense to actually do it.

I don't love this deal, I like the change in dressing room, grit, leadership and I like the fact that Bergevin took a big risk.

And after that MB and MT are still rich arrogant assholes while we are still crying seeing PK lighting up the league while Weber looks like the habs version of dion phaneuf. Whats next? Signing Oleg Petrov and Enrico Ciccone?

Sorry I don't think being rich has anything to do with being an asshole, I'm DIRT po' ( can't even afford the last 'o' or the letter 'r') and I would be a real turdhole to MT if I cross him on the street. I would like to believe even BIGGER then he could buy himself to become. I don't cry my tear ducts haven't worked properly since I saw Patrick say he was going to some land in white Habs jersey and this shiny cup. That SHINY cup being held high by Hab jersey wearing players.

Mantra eh? Am not a Hindu nor Buddist but maybe should be?

Not sure what to say. Am I supposed to lie and say I hate this deal and agree with the crazy (but expected and somewhat understandable) overreaction.

see was that so hard to say you hate this trade :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

You said it.

We've come to the point where we've accepted Good Old Boy management like Americans accept scum politicians, and we've been absent talent at F for so long Max and Plekanec are supposed to be these big stars on the level of Seguin and Benn.

But wow, I couldn't hate Marc Bergevin more. It's been kind of shocking to see a presentable, personable GM morph into a real villain within the span of about a year. He doesn't even look like he wants to be the GM.

Happy to say I hated Bergevin two years before it was cool!

The Habs got 110 points, their best regular season in 20+ years.

They got Norris, Hart, Vezina and imo a Selke performance from Pacioretty.

They've outplayed their adversary for two of three games and only scored four goals. Once the joke of the Hamburglar was out of the net, the Habs couldn't score against Ottawa either.

There is nobody to blame but Marc Bergevin.

What a pathetic lot of assholes he brought in this year to augment a core that he's done NOTHING to construct.

Get this turkey out of here. Montreal deserves a GM that seizes their opportunities, not someone who is married to an imaginary plan.

THIS was the year. Everything the Habs do after is just chasing what they had. Bergevin will be a pile of searing regret about this missed opportunity five years from now.

Petry

Bryan Allen

Sergei Gonchar

Jiri Sekac

DSP

Mitchell

Flynn

Six depth players on a team that needed to score more goals.

Marc Bergevin sucks ass. His best acquisition on the roster is a ten goal scorer. Think about that. Name me a GM who after year 3 points to a player like Dale Weise as his crowning achievement.

He's been a shrewd capologist, but the cap space wasn't able to grind out the victory last night.

The people on here downgrading rentals are being cavalier. I can't remember the last team who was second in the league and didn't add scoring. Probably never happened. There are no guarantees to have a season this good in the future. The Habs blew a major opportunity this year and you will all be lamenting it as early as the end of next playoffs.

If the Hamburglar stumbles in game 77, the Habs would have been out in five.

Pat, pat, pat, pat. pat on the back.

Go Lovett's Magnatones!

He's a POS GM.

It's becoming clear that he's an assistant GM who got the big job by default. He can't see the big picture and his foxhole mentality is more suited for the locker room than the office. Seems like Molson's got it too.

It's becoming clear that he's an assistant GM who got the big job by default. He can't see the big picture and his foxhole mentality is more suited for the locker room than the office. Seems like Molson's got it too.

Bergevin is the well liked former player who keeps everything under control. That doesn't mean everything is fine or everything is good. Just everything is controlled. There's no chaos with him. It's all surgical.

Molson is the business guy who wishes he was a hockey guy. That's why Pierre McGuire was the runner up for the GM job. He was a "friend" and is well connected.

• Upvote 1

Not a bad analogy. I think he's like the guys who run the Bruins. Old-school, unimaginative, and more concerned with guys who meet an absurdly anal-retentive and rigid "code" than actually winning; or rather, they confuse "winning" with those other attributes. Hockey culture seems full of these kinds of hidebound plodders. What a disappointment to realize that the Habs are run by them as well. I used to be full of a baseline optimism about our exciting core that was either young or (later) entering its prime. I retained the hope that we had a tough, forward-looking GM. With its best player gone and the management's stupidity revealed, I've lost this. It will take a massive turnover at the management level in order to win anything, and even then we may be stuck with a dumbass owner. Like I say, we're in Leafsland.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a bad analogy. I think he's like the guys who run the Bruins. Old-school, unimaginative, and more concerned with guys who meet an absurdly anal-retentive and rigid "code" than actually winning; or rather, they confuse "winning" with those other attributes. Hockey culture seems full of these kinds of hidebound plodders. What a disappointment to realize that the Habs are run by them as well. I used to be full of a baseline optimism about our exciting core that was either young or (later) entering its prime. I retained the hope that we had a tough, forward-looking GM. With its best player gone and the management's stupidity revealed, I've lost this. It will take a massive turnover at the management level in order to win anything, and even then we may be stuck with a dumbass owner. Like I say, we're in Leafsland.

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbass.

Well guess where Habs coach and g.m fell in The Scores ranking of nhl management.

Best?

Dumb, Dumber and Dumbass.

Best?

26th I believe actually.

I don't actually think it's quite warranted either. I think the Subban trade has left a terrible stink around the whole organization, when if we just take a step back we realize as a whole we are not run terribly.

I will always dislike the Subban trade, but much of the rest has been positive for me. Before the trade I would have said I have confidence in Bergevin, now I'm not that confident.

Still, Bergevin should be closer to 21-22 IMO, and before the trade I would have said 15 area.

26th I believe actually.

I don't actually think it's quite warranted either. I think the Subban trade has left a terrible stink around the whole organization, when if we just take a step back we realize as a whole we are not run terribly.

I will always dislike the Subban trade, but much of the rest has been positive for me. Before the trade I would have said I have confidence in Bergevin, now I'm not that confident.

Still, Bergevin should be closer to 21-22 IMO, and before the trade I would have said 15 area.

Surprised 'the score' is still around is it; but, not quite McKenzie/LeBrun credibility is it?

Anyways being 26, 20 or 10th in a no-name mid-summer ranking don't think will have a whole lot to do with what happens in the 2016-17 season.

Surprised 'the score' is still around is it; but, not quite McKenzie/LeBrun credibility is it?

Anyways being 26, 20 or 10th in a no-name mid-summer ranking don't think will have a whole lot to do with what happens in the 2016-17 season.

Totally agree, just stating my thoughts on where management has performed, and also that many people have been too harsh

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1064619-ranking-the-31-nhl-general-managers

" Marc Bergevin has signed numerous deals that carry incredible value for the Canadiens, but his allegiances and mismanagement of P.K. Subban stands to define his tenure."

Marc is an " in the box " thinker still living in the NHL of 20 years ago when he played..

Plus he is just trying to copy the Blackhawks organization.. BUT THIS ISNT THE HAWKS!

This team won't go anywhere under his leadership

This team won't go anywhere under his leadership

2 division titles (one of which was 2nd highest point total in league), 3 playoff appearances (1 conference final), finished 2nd in GM of the year voting and named as an assistant GM for team Canada. The guy deserves at least a little bit of credit.