Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Montreal Canadiens | October 27th, 2016 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The line changes for the 3rd made a bit more sense, Radulov to the LW with Galchenyuk/Gallagher while Byron played with Plekanec/Lehkonen.  Nice comeback win with two key players getting the big goals, Galchenyuk/Pacioretty.  The supporting cast can't carry the team all the time so it's important for the top six guys to get going, maybe this will help those two.

Missed most of tonight game but was able to see a bit of it from the bar. Dont really know how well they played but great to see both Patches and Chucky get goals. The Habs need these guys to both have great seasons to be elite. A true test against one of the top teams in the East. Big win. Bring on the Leafs

5 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

Shaw got cheated out of a goal there. This was a 4-1 final, not 3-1.

Yeah what the hole was the penalty ? Skating too hard? skating towards the net? I don't get it. Good game by the guys. Kept focus and kept coming.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Not even counting his goals, but how did Danault progress this much in an off season?  It's uncanny. Danault Flynn Mitchell are an awesome 4th line.

He was actually pretty good last year after we got him, but not many noticed cause the team was a tire fire. 

Yes this start is similar to last year.   This just proves that we were a good team last year who saw the following things happen.

1) The goalie's knee blew up.

2) Instead of replacing the world's best goalie with average goaltending, we replaced him with league worst goaltending

3) The offensive sparkplug broke his hand and was lost for a long period of time.

4) The number 2 defenceman got a sports hernia and was lost for basically half the season.
5) Eventually the injuries spread to our entire defence corps and we ended up using 14 different defencemen.

I'm pretty sure we won't suffer ALL of those things again.  And realistically 1 of them or even 2 would have been recoverable from.  But all 5 at the same time creates a disaster of a season. 

57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes this start is similar to last year.   This just proves that we were a good team last year who saw the following things happen.

2) Instead of replacing the world's best goalie with average goaltending, we replaced him with league worst goaltending

3) The offensive sparkplug broke his hand and was lost for a long period of time.

4) The number 2 defenceman got a sports hernia and was lost for basically half the season.
5) Eventually the injuries spread to our entire defence corps and we ended up using 14 different defencemen.

I'm pretty sure we won't suffer ALL of those things again.  And realistically 1 of them or even 2 would have been recoverable from.  But all 5 at the same time creates a disaster of a season. 

Yes, spot on. Don't forget the addition of Radulov either, which makes this team stronger than last year's. But sometimes people talk as though last year's disaster showed the "real" Habs. The reality is quite the reverse. This was a strong team that would have done very well without the brutal injuries, and which will do even better this year barring still more catastrophic bad luck.

The one good thing to come out of last season was that it pushed MB to finally address longstanding holes: getting a legit backup, getting a legit top-6 FW, etc. 

It looks as though the sky is the limit.

8 minutes ago, habs rule said:

The team was forged in fire last year, they will be able to endure anything now.

...as long as Price stays healthy. Injury to Petry (or Weber, God forbid), or regression from Plekanec, would also represent significant problems.

It's easy to go all cowabunga when your team is kicking ass, but I do think you're onto something here. This basic nucleus has been to the semi-finals and has been humiliated through a "perfect storm" of season-wrecking adversity. The GM has seemingly corrected major weaknesses, FINALLY. Its two best players, Price and Weber, are repeat world champions in the primes of their careers. The key young guys (Galy and Gally) are rounding into their own primes. In short, a case can be made that this team has gone through all the required growing pains. That's a team whose profile suggests serious Cup contention - a team that will be damned hard to beat when the chips are down. If, again, Price stays healthy.

6 hours ago, JMMR said:

Anyone else feeling the Leafs come in and smoke the Habs Saturday night? 

Go wash your mouth out with soap! We hope never to hear such blasphemy from you again. (-:  

What's going to happen on Saturday night is that Weber and his defense partner de jour are going to welcome the young Leafs to the NHL  and we are going to smoke obliterate the Leafs. Unless of course the Habs allow themselves to get too overconfident, but I haven't see that from this group so far...

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

...as long as Price stays healthy. Injury to Petry (or Weber, God forbid), or regression from Plekanec, would also represent significant problems.

It's easy to go all cowabunga when your team is kicking ass, but I do think you're onto something here. This basic nucleus has been to the semi-finals and has been humiliated through a "perfect storm" of season-wrecking adversity. The GM has seemingly corrected major weaknesses, FINALLY. Its two best players, Price and Weber, are repeat world champions in the primes of their careers. The key young guys (Galy and Gally) are rounding into their own primes. In short, a case can be made that this team has gone through all the required growing pains. That's a team whose profile suggests serious Cup contention - a team that will be damned hard to beat when the chips are down. If, again, Price stays healthy.

Not to mention the addition of Radulov who I think has come into a situation where he's aware of the growing pains the team went through last season but didn't go through them himself. As a result, he bring more of a lightheated and relaxed determination to the room. 

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

1000% my thoughts the entire way about last season. We had below average goaltending replace elite goaltending while losing key pieces in each position for long periods of time. yet we were also supposed to continue being a good team despite losing players that are the reason we are a good team. 

Never understood that, now I will commend MB for taking the summer to shore up things on this team he felt contributed to things slipping so badly last year. but the reality still remains that if Price went down for the season, we lost a top 3 forward for months and a top 3 dman for months again this year. we likely dont make the playoffs again, do we slip to the bottom like we did? not likely, but making the playoffs in those circumstances would be a dogfight. 

And in what world does a very good team who loses its very good players still remain a very good team? 

The Hartford Whalers!! What a cool franchise...great unis, great team name, representing a city that is not normally part of the big leagues. They had memorable players too, like Ferraro and the loathsome Kevin Dineen and the splendid Ron Francis. I miss them too. However, I don't like the TB analogy. For most of their history, they were a much inferior team to the Habs, yet they would give the Habs all sorts of problems. (I still recall how much the '88 quarter-finals made me want to puke). The best analogy for them today is probably the "annoying bee" Ottawa Senators.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Hartford Whalers!! What a cool franchise...great unis, great team name, representing a city that is not normally part of the big leagues. They had memorable players too, like Ferraro and the loathsome Kevin Dineen and the splendid Ron Francis. I miss them too. However, I don't like the TB analogy. For most of their history, they were a much inferior team to the Habs, yet they would give the Habs all sorts of problems. (I still recall how much the '88 quarter-finals made me want to puke). The best analogy for them today is probably the "annoying bee" Ottawa Senators.

You forgot Gordie. (Who was still an amazing player at 50 years old in Hartford for two nhl seasons.)