Habs acquire negotiating rights to Joel Edmundson

dlbalr

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I would think in this instance, Mete would be on the move (though if Edmundson doesn't sign, I still think Mete is on the move).  Kulak and Romanov battle for the other LD spot with the other perhaps taking RD3 if they're comfortable moving over.  Juulsen is probably 7 by default because of his waiver status. 

Gonna package Domi and Mete in a "Who wants to negotiate with Ferris?" deal?

6 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Gonna package Domi and Mete in a "Who wants to negotiate with Ferris?" deal?

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he does package Domi and Mete especially if a D is coming back our way. I don't see it if it's a forward unless it's a trade with the Jets for Laine and Bergevin adds Mete in the deal because Jets need help on the back end.

9 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he does package Domi and Mete especially if a D is coming back our way. I don't see it if it's a forward unless it's a trade with the Jets for Laine and Bergevin adds Mete in the deal because Jets need help on the back end.

Why would the habs acquire yet another defenseman?

and Domi alone gets you no where near Laine imo. Domi + Mete and either our first OR a second + B prospect (Brook, ikonen Ylonen etc) 

Could just be my opinion tho

2 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

and Domi alone gets you no where near Laine imo. Domi + Mete and either our first OR a second + B prospect (Brook, ikonen Ylonen etc) 

Totally Agree. Domi addresses the jets need for another centre. But doesn’t even come close to addressing their need on D.  They will be looking for a weber like return, or potentially a Petry type - that is signed to a longer term real.

2 hours ago, Meller93 said:

That's what I said in my post, domi won't get you laine but a package that would include domi/mete would be a good starting point. 

As for getting another D we still need a #1 LD.

33 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

That's what I said in my post, domi won't get you laine but a package that would include domi/mete would be a good starting point. 

As for getting another D we still need a #1 LD.

I'm pretty sure that Winnipeg can do better than a problematic #2 C and a #5 d-man and 'some other stuff' for an elite talent like Laine. Smart GMs don't trade a core player for a middling team's spare parts.

Like I joked in another thread, Domi + Mete is the new Ryder + a 2nd...

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm pretty sure that Winnipeg can do better than a problematic #2 C and a #5 d-man and 'some other stuff' for an elite talent like Laine. Smart GMs don't trade a core player for a middling team's spare parts.

Agreed.I can see Domi being an add on as a #2C.  But they will be looking for a top pairing dman and as you’ve said, Mete Is a fifth.  With Petry only having a year left on his contract, I can’t see him interesting the Jets.  The only one who MIGHT interest the Jets is Weber and I would explore that, can’t see MB ever trading him - despite his if you want loyalty, get a dog comment.

Just now, DON said:

Just hope this guy can skate and shoot better than Alzner.

My, how high the bar has gone for UFA dmen.🙄

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah I would think that the Jets would be pushing for Caufield along with domi and mete in any trade talk for Laine. I would pass on laine, they're some good UFA that can add depth and scoring to our line up we don't need to over pay to get laine.

I really think adding DADONOV, and  NAMESTNIKOV To our line up would add depth through out the lines plus add scoring depth through out our line ups.

Is this guy simply another Chiarot? An overpaid outdated big lumbering 2nd pairing guy. When have much cheaper options in Kulak & Mete, Romanov to slot in, then find icetime for Norlinder the following year.

I dont get the want for him, i just now gotta hope he turns down any Habs offer.:tumbleweed:

Top 4 d

6'4" 215

6'3" 225

6'4" 230

6'3" 201

looks like old time hockey coming back?

Clearly Edmundson WANTS to play in Quebec ... the home of his favourite food

image.png 

https://www.nhl.com/news/edmundson-eats-poutine-out-of-stanley-cup/c-308213218

1 hour ago, DON said:

Is this guy simply another Chiarot? An overpaid outdated big lumbering 2nd pairing guy. When have much cheaper options in Kulak & Mete, Romanov to slot in, then find icetime for Norlinder the following year.

I dont get the want for him, i just now gotta hope he turns down any Habs offer.:tumbleweed:

Top 4 d

6'4" 215

6'3" 225

6'4" 230

6'3" 201

You must be bored,trying to stir the pot with comments like that 

3 hours ago, DON said:

Top 4 d

6'4" 215

6'3" 225

6'4" 230

6'3" 201

I am with you :rolleyes:, let's trade/offer-sheet/sign-for a D group made of:

Torey Krug (UFA 5'09"/186 lb) - Sami Vatanen (UFA 5'10"/185 lb)

Samuel Girard (RFA 5'09"/187 lb) - Troy Stecher (RFA 5'10"/186 lb)

To play with:

1. Otto Leskinen (5'11"/183 lb) - Victor Mete (RFA 5'09"/187 lb)

🤪 I am sure it will be much better 🤪

Edited by alfredoh2009

12 hours ago, PMAC said:

You must be bored,trying to stir the pot with comments like that 

This isnt my comment below and i am really wondering why identify this guy as one you want to add to this group?.

"But Edmundson is no better than a third-pairing option."  Basu

I dont get it.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I was going to post it too. Not elite, but (I think) better suited for playoff hockey than Ouellet (ever), Mete (at this point) and Folin (although Foling shoots R and Edmundson shoots L)

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was going to post it too. Not elite, but (I think) better suited for playoff hockey than Ouellet (ever), Mete (at this point) and Folin (although Foling shoots R and Edmundson shoots L)

The main argument is that Edmundson players better under a zone system, which is what the Habs use. The inference is that he may be a legit second-pairing guy in that context. (This is the kind of analysis you never seem to get from mainstream media). And yes, he seems to be a built-for-the-playoffs guy, according to the advanced stats.

22 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah I would think that the Jets would be pushing for Caufield along with domi and mete in any trade talk for Laine. I would pass on laine, they're some good UFA that can add depth and scoring to our line up we don't need to over pay to get laine.

I really think adding DADONOV, and  NAMESTNIKOV To our line up would add depth through out the lines plus add scoring depth through out our line ups.

I agree with what Winnipeg expect and yes Laine has had his pouting moments.  Regarding other available UFA's,  Montreal has not been very successful in attracting them and a trade might be our only option.

I have been trying to make sense of this move and I'm not sure if this means another move is coming or just what the plan is. Assuming he does sign with us our D corps look like:

Chiarot - Weber

Kulak - Petry

Edmundson - Mete/Romanov

I wonder if this move means they plan on Romanov to be in the minors or perhaps Mete is on the move?

I would not be surprised if Edmundson is a replacement for Kulak. While I think Kulak is a solid #4 Dman, I don't think CJ likes him.

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I have been trying to make sense of this move and I'm not sure if this means another move is coming or just what the plan is. Assuming he does sign with us our D corps look like:

Chiarot - Weber

Kulak - Petry

Edmundson - Mete/Romanov

I wonder if this move means they plan on Romanov to be in the minors or perhaps Mete is on the move?

I would not be surprised if Edmundson is a replacement for Kulak. While I think Kulak is a solid #4 Dman, I don't think CJ likes him.

The way I I am thinking about this is whith regards to the expansion draft:

* Teams need to leave at least one D unprotected

* under contract in 2021-22, AND (if is only D unprotected):
       o- played in 40 or more NHL games last season, OR
       o- played in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons

1. Who are the three defensemen that the CH will protect in the expansion draft?

Weber, Petry (* if not traded), Chiarot

2. Who qualifies and will be left unprotected? 

Edmundson

Kulak          UFA (2022)         4 Games Required
Mete           RFA (2020)         9 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

Juulsen     RFA (2020)       40 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

3. Who will probably qualify and be left unprotected (moved Folin and Ouellet here)?

3. Who will probably be signed but waived (if there is an AHL season):

Folin           UFA (2020)        40 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

Ouellet       RFA (2020)       40 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

4. Who may be kept off the unprotected list if they do not play sufficient NHL games ?

4. Others under contract that will be left unprotected and waived (if there is an AHL season):

Fleury         RFA (2021)      29 Games Required

Olofsson   RFA (2021)       40 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

Alzner        UFA (2022)       40 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

=====

Based on this, I would have this D lineup

Chiarot - Weber

Edmundson/Kulak  - Petry

Edmundson/Kulak   - Juulsen

Mete and Romanov

and I would play Ouellet over Mete when necessary to increase Mete's value for another team that may want to trade for him and not loose him in the expansion draft.

I think they will go with the extra two Ds because of Mete's and Juulsen's waiver status. 

Edited by alfredoh2009
corrected erros in initial posting, misunderstnading on Games Required (Cap Friendly)

Just now, Commandant said:

I really don't think this move has anything to do with the Expansion Draft. 

Teams massively overthought the expansion draft last time and Vegas racked it up because of that. 

Just lose your one player and move on. 

It's a thing that I look at to keep my mind off other stuff, to pass the time. I am not overly concerned about loosing a player, but wanted to see if my thesis of "expansion draft being a factor" made sense.

The numbers do not support this idea, but the information found while doing it may be useful.

Overall, it allows me to get to know my team better

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The way I I am thinking about this is whith regards to the expansion draft:

* Teams need to leave at least one D unprotected

* under contract in 2021-22, AND
    * played in 40 or more NHL games last season, OR
    * played in 70 or more NHL games in the last two seasons

1. Who are the three defensemen that the CH will protect in the expansion draft?

Weber, Petry (* if not traded), Chiarot

2. Who qualifies and will be left unprotected? 

Edmundson

3. Who will probably qualify and be left unprotected (moved Folin and Ouellet here)?

Kulak          UFA (2022)         4 Games Required
Mete           RFA (2020)         9 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

Folin          UFA (2020)        40 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

Ouellet       RFA (2020)       40 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

4. Who may be kept off the unprotected list if they do not play sufficient NHL games ?

Juulsen     RFA (2020)       40 Games Required
Fleury         RFA (2021)      29 Games Required

Olofsson   RFA (2021)       40 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

Alzner        UFA (2022)       40 Games Required - Needs to clear waivers

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I really don't think this move has anything to do with the Expansion Draft. 

Teams massively overthought the expansion draft last time and Vegas racked it up because of that. 

Just lose your one player and move on. 

I think a key term in the rules is "at least" ... Kulak and Mete, unless traded, will play the required number of games to be eligible and I doubt either will be protected ... If they choose to manage Fleury and Juulsen games in order to avoid the expansion draft then Folin may as well.

I agree with Commandant that teams have learned from the Vegas draft and will not be trading players and picks to Seattle to manipulate who they select ... I could, however, see the other teams making trades ... if Team A has a surplus of "exposed" players and Team B, which has "protection space", wants one then a deal could be worked out.

I can also believe that the Habs may well at least consider managing Fleury and Juulsen's games ... we are talking about the 3rd pairing ... it could be done without impacting the defence tremendously ... and retaining two good NHL, if not necessarily elite, prospects may be a useful endeavour ... much may have to do with how the season progresses.

Have to wonder, if Edmundson is signed, whether the Habs may not sign extensions with 2021 UFAs pre-draft and go with an 8-skater protection list ... only 5 current Habs (Drouin, Byron, Weber, Petry and Chiarot) currently would need to be protected ... Edmundson would make 6 ... room for a couple of extensions OR adding 2 players that need to be protected ... 20/21 will be an interesting season.