Game 1 COVID edition: Canadiens @ Maple Leafs

TurdBurglar

I don't know about you guys, but 35 minutes into this game, and I LOVE what i'm seeing from the boys!

Anderson is everything I was hoping for,

Suzuki picked up where he left off in the playoffs,

Drouin seems to have a quickness in his game that we hadn't seen before,

KK is playing just as well as Suzuki and the fact that he's had more than a year to adapt to the extra weight he put on, you can tell he's more comfortable in his body!

Romanov, his first game in teh NHL, and you'd think he's a veteran. (although he did make a small mistake, but without consequence)

and lastly, Carey is just as amazing as this summer. Maybe this is the return of the Carey Price we were used to 3-4 years ago!?

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

Romanov was on with Weber when Tatar scored.  Double shifting Weber on the PP maybe?

Likely/perhaps in mid-change

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Always thought of PK as more of the Bomber than the QB

He made things happen on the PP, we haven't seen anyone do that since him and Markov left. Hopefully Romanov is that guy.

Wow no wonder Toronto is a bad playoff team these guys need the pp to score other wise they don't score .

Everything was going perfect...you couldn't have scripted it better.  Suzuki scores.  Anderson scores.  Romanov sets up the Tatar breakaway with a beautiful pass.  Then it all goes to hell, starting with a stupid offensive zone penalty on Anderson (they ALWAYS end up in the back of your net it seems).  A weak call on Suzuki, and then the uncharacteristic bonehead over the glass by Weber, and suddenly 1.9-ish periods of great hockey are erased and it's square.

First game always the most interesting...

Not 100% sure on Edmunson. He looks slow in this fast-paced game. Can’t help but wondering if he really is an upgrade over Mete.

Any thoughts?

4 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

First game always the most interesting...

Not 100% sure on Edmunson. He looks slow in this fast-paced game. Can’t help but wondering if he really is an upgrade over Mete.

Any thoughts?

Upgrade on Mete probably but I’m not impressed. 

First game though

8 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

... Not 100% sure on Edmunson. He looks slow in this fast-paced game. Can’t help but wondering if he really is an upgrade over Mete ...

Yes ... but that isn't a high bar IMO

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Self-inflicted wounds there - three unnecessary penalties in less than four minutes, against that power play, with Montreal's penalty kill, is asking for trouble.

I think some of the penalties are the refs looking for something.  Like the Chiarot "cross-check," Simmons gave 2, Chiarot gave 1, Chiarot gets the penalty.

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

I think some of the penalties are the refs looking for something.  Like the Chiarot "cross-check," Simmons gave 2, Chiarot gave 1, Chiarot gets the penalty.

I thought that as well ... but then TVA clarified that the extra penalty was on Kulak

3 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Sportsnet called it wrong.  Kulak was called for a cross-check behind the net, Chiarot and Simmonds were 5 for fighting only.  That one also didn't lead to a goal - the Anderson board, Suzuki hold, and Weber misfiring on the clear-out did.  Those were all legit calls and none of them were forced penalties in terms of the Leafs doing something to force the Habs into taking them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

I thought that as well ... but then TVA clarified that the extra penalty was on Kulak

I thought it was Kulak who got the 2 min