Jump to content

Pre-Expansion Draft Discussion


Trizzak
 Share

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Chris said:

They should expose Weber and Drouin for sure. 

 

At this point just waiving Drouin is a win for cap space, 1 goal in the last 31. One mare than me during the same stretch. 

You may not have noticed but he’s also got 21 assists, the most on the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

You may not have noticed but he’s also got 21 assists, the most on the team.

You don't improve a team without making room for new players ... while JD's 19 assists do lead the team, his 2 goals are 14th ... he is not performing at a top 6 forward level ... nor has he really seen any sustained chemistry/production with anyone on the team ... I was perhaps in the minority in not being totally outraged by the trade with TBL, but it is (IMO) time to move on come summer ... the only reason to keep him that I could see is if Jonathan happens to mesh with Caufield (i.e., a spiker to JD's setter) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, tomh009 said:

So, you waive Drouin, and gain some cap space. How are you replacing the 50 points (per 82 games)?

 

If he's waived tomorrow, I don't think he gets picked up as most teams can't afford the contract.  The cap space gained would only be $1.075M then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So, you waive Drouin, and gain some cap space. How are you replacing the 50 points (per 82 games)?

You don’t ever waive a young(ish) skilled player like Drouin. But at some point you have to get fed up with constant “he’s finally matured and looks like he gives a shot and is helping the team, to he’s back to his old lazy ass self” Jekyll and Hyde routine, and move on from him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You don’t ever waive a young(ish) skilled player like Drouin. But at some point you have to get fed up with constant “he’s finally matured and looks like he gives a shot and is helping the team, to he’s back to his old lazy ass self” Jekyll and Hyde routine, and move on from him.

Right. Trading him is always an option. Or extending him to a less expensive contract.

 

My point was that shooting from the hip and waiving him, assuming that somebody did pick him up -- or even if no one did, assigning him to Laval -- would leave a 50-point gap to be filled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

... Or extending him to a less expensive contract ...

He is signed through 22/23 ... so he couldn't be extended until June 1, 2022 (for the 23/24 season) ... Habs are on the hook for two more seasons regardless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

He is signed through 22/23 ... so he couldn't be extended until June 1, 2022 (for the 23/24 season) ... Habs are on the hook for two more seasons regardless.

Correct. That current contract was always rather optimistic ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did a quick check on what the salaries may look like next year if we sign the RFAs and UFAs to a favorable deal. I also pre-selected whom I think may be protected. NOt a definite analysis, but I hope good enough for a discussion

 

What do you think?

 

image.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

I wouldn't protect UFAs, I'd just make sure that if I signed them, i do so after the draft. 

 

that is what I was implying, which UFAs and RFAs would be resigning and my potatohead estimate of the salary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are people thinking about Weber's contract?

He's still effective atm but 35 YO with 7.85M tied up till he's 40?

 

Any shot Seattle would take him?

Would it be a good idea for us to lose him at this time?

 

Not like replacement options are in house yet and FA basically is Dougie Hamilton...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a chance Seattle would take him (not a chance Bergy doesnt protect him).

Will retire as a Hab, just hope decreasing his minutes and role wont hurt them too much with no blue chip RH d-man in pipeline.

But, he seems to be definitely floundering at the moment, I am not sure why...lost 1/2 step, minor nagging injury, overworked for an old-timer?

Making just stupid mistakes in his own end...game after game. I think he almost gifted an early goal in last game with another pass to front of your own net with opponent there play.

 

Oh well. hope for a turnaround in his play or coaches try something different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

that is what I was implying, which UFAs and RFAs would be resigning and my potatohead estimate of the salary

You have Danault and Tatar as two players you are protecting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

You have Danault and Tatar as two players you are protecting. 

yes, because you can protect up-to 7. For the longest time I've belived Tatar would walk, if I could I would rather sign him than Armia or Lehkonen.

 

I would negotiate and sign Danault, I would not let him test the UFA market, so that is another protected player.

 

Players with "Seattle" besides them are those not resigned before the expansion draft or signed but not protected

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yes, because you can protect up-to 7. For the longest time I've belived Tatar would walk, if I could I would rather sign him than Armia or Lehkonen.

 

I would negotiate and sign Danault, I would not let him test the UFA market, so that is another protected player.

 

Players with "Seattle" besides them are those not resigned before the expansion draft or signed but not protected

 

My whole point is you don't have to protect them.  You just sign them after the draft is over.  Which lets you protect two extra forwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

My whole point is you don't have to protect them.  You just sign them after the draft is over.  Which lets you protect two extra forwards.

True ... but that does give Seattle a shot at them before actual free agency

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

True ... but that does give Seattle a shot at them before actual free agency

 

Meh, the cost of trading for a UFA a few days before free agency is usually a 5th or 6th rounder.

 

Is the player you are going to protect instead of them worth more than that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Meh, the cost of trading for a UFA a few days before free agency is usually a 5th or 6th rounder.

Is the player you are going to protect instead of them worth more than that?

Apologies, but I don't get the "trading for a UFA" reference ... I believe Seattle will have a window between the declaration of the protected lists and expansion draft to sign UFAs ... that player would be considered their selection from his old team ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Apologies, but I don't get the "trading for a UFA" reference ... I believe Seattle will have a window between the declaration of the protected lists and expansion draft to sign UFAs ... that player would be considered their selection from his old team ...

 

I know.

 

I'm looking at the value. 

 

The value of an unsigned UFA is a 5th round pick.  So you can protect an unsigned UFA, or you can protect Evans.  Is Evans worth more than a 5th?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'm looking at the value. The value of an unsigned UFA is a 5th round pick.  So you can protect an unsigned UFA, or you can protect Evans.  Is Evans worth more than a 5th?

Yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Chris said:

Just protect evans and expose drouin 

You don’t expose a young player that is still tradeable . I don’t like Drouin. Didnt like the Drouin deal. But he can still bring value back. I’d expose guys like Weber, Byron, that would be hard for us to trade without retaining salary, but Seattle may be able to claim them, trade them, and than retain part of their salary for more assets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...